Ito

Ito's Photography

Photography is by far and away the art I am doing the most of lately (well, outside of all the design I do for work, if you count that). I figured that it deserved it's own post. Expect to see mostly cosplay and action sports stuff in here.

Let's start things off with one of my favorite shots from last season.

dqpwug.jpg

I wanna scream because I'll never have this sort of quality in my photos ;; -claps a lot-

Thanks! But I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. If I posted some of my shots from like 5 years ago I think you see that it's pretty possible. Just a shit ton of time...

Also, this reminds me that I need to post more in this thread.

For sure!

I have 2 cameras, a Canon 6D and a Canon 7D. The 7D has since become my backup camera (though the very first shot in this is with the 7D). The 7D is pretty much an all around better camera in most aspects, but the 6D is a full frame camera and I just love the depth of field I can get with it.

I have 4 lens that I use regularly as well:

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 (I don't think I could live without this lens)

Canon 70-200m f/2.8 IS II (my huge white telephoto)

Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS (wide angle)

Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye (for when I want to go incredibly wide)

Have you ever shot videos with those cams? Maybe you can do a Acen panel video shoot. The possibilities are endless... *overflowing ideas*

Have you ever shot videos with those cams? Maybe you can do a Acen panel video shoot. The possibilities are endless... *overflowing ideas*

Yup, I have certainly shot video with them. If you want to see me being a goon on rollerblades, this was shot entirely on those two cameras:

I also shot all the female sections in this video with my 6D

As far as Acen goes....Maybe? xD That requires me to bring a tripod and actually recording it....and makes me wonder if I really want to show my dumb panel to the interwebs lololol

Officially my Photography sensei. Wish you'd teach Photography over here, these are wonderful shots!

I shall show you the way! Seriously though, any questions you have, hit me up and I would be more than happy to help you out. And thanks of course!

makes me wonder if I really want to show my dumb panel to the interwebs lololol

I shall show you the way! Seriously though, any questions you have, hit me up and I would be more than happy to help you out. And thanks of course!

Your panel is not dumb! The fact that there's even a panel for jrock/vkei at ACen is a godsend. Out of all the panels they have, can you guess who's panel is the only one I want to go to? YOURS

And I have a question(s). I've been doing photography for a couple years now and a majority of my shots are all with natural light (because I prefer that look). I thought it would be a good idea to invest in an external speedlite for those indoor shots. So I bought one, but really don't know the correct way on how to use it. I was looking at your indoor cosplay shots and I was wondering how you get such a nice, diffused light on your models. (assuming you use an on-camera speedlite) I have a little attachment to diffuse the flash on my speedlite but there's still that contrast of the model being lit and the background being darker. What are your most common settings as far as f stop and shutter speed for indoor shots? 

Your panel is not dumb! The fact that there's even a panel for jrock/vkei at ACen is a godsend. Out of all the panels they have, can you guess who's panel is the only one I want to go to? YOURS

That means a lot, honestly. I will be running it again on Saturday at 5:00 if you want interested in going! Though not sure if I am going to be filming it or not lol.

And I have a question(s). I've been doing photography for a couple years now and a majority of my shots are all with natural light (because I prefer that look). I thought it would be a good idea to invest in an external speedlite for those indoor shots. So I bought one, but really don't know the correct way on how to use it. I was looking at your indoor cosplay shots and I was wondering how you get such a nice, diffused light on your models. (assuming you use an on-camera speedlite) I have a little attachment to diffuse the flash on my speedlite but there's still that contrast of the model being lit and the background being darker. What are your most common settings as far as f stop and shutter speed for indoor shots? 

Only the top skiing photo and the Bee and Puppycat cosplayer (the one with the plushy) are the only strobbed shots there. I will have to post more of my strobbed, but to be completely honest, flash has been the single most difficult area of photography for me to understand. First off, I hardly ever shoot with the flash on camera. If I do, I am certainly bouncing it off of a ceiling or a wall. I am not going to make any assumptions on how much you know about photography, so sorry if some of this is a little basic. The softness of your light is directly proportional to the size of the light source in relation to the subject. Essentially, if I want really soft flattering light, I need to figure out how can I make the light bigger. Bouncing off a wall (assuming the wall isn't colored) can help a ton. The down side of this is that it uses a ton of power, especially if the walls or ceiling are higher or far away. You can use a bulbous diffuser right on the flash (like the Gary Fong Lightsphere). This will give you a marginal increase in softness (and still sometimes a bit of an unflattering look if the light is on camera).

The absolute best thing you can do is get your light off of camera and with a modifier. Shoot through umbrellas are probably the cheapest way of getting this done, but I really love the look of a soft box (I use my 43" apollo orb soft box as my main modifier). When you take a photo with a flash right on top of the camera, you are lighting someone, but you are taking away so many of those shadows this give depth and contrast. Shooting off camera flash can add really add to the depth of an image. I have been looking for a great solution for what to buy in terms of off camera flashes for a while and am on my to my third set - 3 yonguo YN560 IV's with a YN560 TX transmitter, all for around $300 with great remote manual controls, these things seems great so far.

All of that said, I shoot more often with natural light. Most of the time I am walking around a con I have my 35mm f/1.4 lens on with the aperture set to max (1.4), the shutter speed between 1/60 and 1/200, and then I adjust the ISO to whatever gets me in that range. I don't know what kind of camera or lenses you are shooting, that would make it a lot easier to recommend things. Be warned though - the lights in the dealers hall at Acen flicker at about 1/200th so never let your camera get above that speed when you are in there.

Since I Acen is coming up in a week (!!!), here's a shot from last year using a super ghetto rigged flash setup.

10387023_691043630961922_341144900751404

I really love that second shot with the sword girl! You always have such nice lighting in your photos. Your tutorial was helpful too. Thank you!

Thanks! That one of the Monohime cosplayer (the 2nd one) is one of my favorites I took at Acen...and also a good example of what you can do with cheap lighting solutions.

1st shot: one flash off camera in a small soft box - about $300 in lighting gear

3rd shot: 3 flashes in one large soft box - about $450 in lighting gear

2nd shot: a 5 in 1 reflector (using the diffusion panel) - about $15 lol

You are getting better with every new shoot.

My favs are the wedding couple, the man with rollers, the cosplay on woods, and the girl in petal roses.

Looking foward for new ones, congrats.

You are getting better with every new shoot.

My favs are the wedding couple, the man with rollers, the cosplay on woods, and the girl in petal roses.

Looking foward for new ones, congrats.

Thanks for the kind words! Gunna keep the shots coming :)

11168404_910657409000542_706724643477812

i have no idea about photography, but i really like these cosplay photos. you seem to get them all in somewhat natural and relaxed poses (well, except for "imma eat your camera!"-guy obviously^^), plenty of cosplay-photography seems rather stiff, so this is sth nice that i think i might have noticed. thumbs up :)

i have no idea about photography, but i really like these cosplay photos. you seem to get them all in somewhat natural and relaxed poses (well, except for "imma eat your camera!"-guy obviously^^), plenty of cosplay-photography seems rather stiff, so this is sth nice that i think i might have noticed. thumbs up :)

Thanks dude!

I don't know how much credit I can take for the posing. I feel like I have just been lucky to work with a bunch of awesome cosplayers.