ghost

Dan's Photos

I have a drawing thread.

I have a music thread.

I have a video thread.

One more couldn't hurt right?

Here's a recent photo I took/graphic I created.

I shoot with a Nikon D5000 (a decent hunk a' junk. I want to buy a new one)

and I used Adobe Illustrator for this.

18124588716_cb9f60052c.jpg

It was a sunrise above Boston on my way down.

I like it! I wish there was a bit more variance in terms of the opacity of triangle, but it still looks sweet.

Thanks Ito! That encourages me, coming from a designer. For the opacity did you just mean in the line of triangles in the center? Or just overall?

New work!

Playing around with clipping masks.

Kept it simple this time around.

6_WakeUp_500px_zpsgebulpls.jpg

*Now looking at it, I find the text is distracting and makes the composition imbalanced. I don't think this was the best photo to start with either, but eh, I got a better hang of clippin masks.

What do you all think though?

This is the version with no text (minus the sig)

(I forgot to export artboard and I had already closed Illustrator. So, I cropped the image and it somehow ended up getting a bit streched. Too lazy..)

6_WakeUp_500_zpskgeiakey.jpg

Not digging this one too much to be honest. The image feels like it doesn't have any focus point for my eyes to land on and it gets lost in the clutter. Also the converging verticals kinda bug me. I think with some dodging and burning to help the focus, some warping to fix those verticles, and amaybe some selective color increases of saturation, this image could come off a lot better. (hope that doesn't come off as too harsh! >.<)

No I appreciate the constructive criticism!

Compliments are great but it's good to know in what areas I need improvement.

The clutter is actually something I wanted for this photo though. I wanted the viewer to just look at everything and nothing in particular. It's what I felt when I first walked inside and so wanted to translate through the photo.

I've never warped an image's converging verticals to be straight so I might try that to see what it looks like.

What is dodging? I've used burning before to darken certain areas but have never heard of dodging. Also, what areas would you do that for (as well as for saturation)?

*edit

I've just started a new edit and the dodging and burning is making things loads better. I just usually mess around with adjustment layers (exposure, brightness/contrast, curves, etc.) because it's simple, but I might start taking the time to use these tools. 

Actually, the photo above has no dodging done in it. I just adjusted the exposure, brightness, and colors a bit. I overdid things and yeah, as you both mentioned, the colors and lighting aren't the best.

*edit

I've just started a new edit and the dodging and burning is making things loads better. I just usually mess around with adjustment layers (exposure, brightness/contrast, curves, etc.) because it's simple, but I might start taking the time to use these tools. 

That's the way to improve! Dodging and burning can really help to add extra contrast, depth, and focus to an image.

Sometimes I go a bit nuts with my layers XD

lxws6.jpg