Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Charisma.com - DIStopping

I must admit this duo completely slipped under my radar before, even though they had already released quite a kickass debut record last year (this one I'm reviewing here is their first major album, 2nd release in total).

I first became intrigued when I was shown the PV for the opening track イイナヅケブルー, which is a completely addictive and repetitive (two things that walk hand in hand here) electro-pop dance number with some slick rap parts and catchy chorus. The Charisma girls are at their best when they do this type of style, and, accordingly, they sure like to utilize their talents in this area, manifesting in some pretty sweet songs such as LOOKER, ジェンガジェンガ or Train HELL. It doesn't get boring of course because, even if these songs are in a similar style, they sprinkle random fun twists throughout (I'm not qualified enough in electronic music to know these various subgenre-hints tho).

The duo adds more variety by delivering some tracks that are reminiscent of more straightforward J-pop or songs that are a bit softer. I personally think these instances are the weaker links of the album for the most part, tho it is kinda nice for them to chance it up once in a while. Anyway, they both stand their ground firmly, providing some catchy moments as usual. The album ends on a note that is kinda typical of the whole sound of the release, which is always a good thing to do - the combo of the last three tracks is pretty killer!

Even on the first listen lots of songs burrowed themselves deep into my mind, addictive stuff indeed, as I already mentioned. One of the best Japanese releases this year for me, for sure! I do recommend it strongly for lovers of modern electronic pop (with hints of rap and dance music) to check it out.

:4.5: | tons of cool tunes & very little filler, great for replaying again and again

I normally never bother(ed) to try out acts like this (seeing as I wasn't really enchanted by general J-hip hop/rap elements), but it looks like I found a gem here! /totallynotbiased

Just as Jigsaw mentioned  - Iinazuke Blue was basically something what hooked me - and perhaps many, many other new fans of Charisma.com to try out their other new songs. These same fans (including me) for the most part, didn't get disappointed at all when they tried out the whole package.

The incorporation of electro-pop elements along with sweet rapping flow by the courtesy of MC Itsuka really gets the listener's mood up for a long time - personal upbeat favorites of mine, such as catchy Iinazuke Blue (duh), fierce Jenga Jenga, freaky Happy Turn, sassy Sodaigomi no Koi and wild Pain Off guarantee that your mood won't get down...and might even make you bob your head/move your feet along to the beat :) no need to get ashamed if you want to get groovy!

There are also some straightforward-ish, calmer and poppier tracks for the sake of having breathing pauses in between constant party-around-ing: trippy but beautiful No Datte, almost R'n'B-y Mr. Beer and perhaps one of the pinpoints for this album after Iinazuke, Sorairo Will. To say it bluntly, there's enough variety to keep the listener in place and not fleeing out of fear/boredom - that doesn't necessarily mean that there wouldn't be *ANY* elements that might you think twice whether to like it or not. I have to admit that I found it quite hard to digest EDM-iness of some songs out there (Super Girl, Iinazuke Blue, Jenga Jenga) and unnecessarily very radio-poppy approach of Chankoi (was almost expecting a SCANDAL song there, haha). They are not necessarily something what would slow down your interest towards this release - but you have to be quite *open* and *accepting* in order to embrace DIStopping at whole.

All the fuss aside, I already consider this to be one of the best J-albums for this year  - if you don't mind fun, groovy and upbeat electro-pop mixed with rap/hip hop and some ballady numbers, grab this one ASAP!

:4.5: |  Truly solid AOTY-material over here, people! Hurray for MC Itsuka and DJ Gonchi!

is it just me or ジェンガジェンガ sounds like a die antwoord parody? 

train hell, 100%ブービー & sodaiゴミのkoi are my jams for this week & I like that this album is better than their debut one

are you telling me they aren't an independent self-produced band?

not that it changes much, but they could've done less filler in that case idk and maybe learn how to sing live without relying on backup track so much

Sign in to follow this