Sign in to follow this  
doombox

#2: i AGAINST i by SiM

SiM Listening Metrics  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever listened to SiM?

• All the time!
    • I spin them now and again.
    • I have some in my library but I've never listened.
    • Not my cup of tea.

i AGAINST i
Artist: SiM
Album: i AGAINST i
Score: :_7/10_:
SiM is having an identity crisis and you're all invited.

Never shying away from their modus operandi of reggae grooves mixed with chaotic punk rock, the last ten years have gifted us many strong showings from SiM. They may be an acquired taste, but they've carved themselves a niche that very few bands worldwide can share. And to further separate themselves from the pack, they aren't afraid to cover the hard hitting topics in social-political, economic, or environmental commentary that are becoming less and less common in the modern punk scene. They are also poster boys for promoting recreational marijuana use in Japan. After a nearly year long wait since the last release, i AGAINST i is finally ready.

The mini album opens with "RiOT". A song that sounds like it will get the crowds going at their shows, but falls short as an album opener with lots of energy but no dynamics. I would have been far happier if it were swapped with the second track or left off the mini, since SiM has similar and better songs in their catalog. As for that second track, "Fallen Idols" embodies everything I love about SiM: catchy lyrics, crunchy riffs, bouncy reggae bass lines, unbridled aggression, and most importantly-- the message. While SiM often relies on stories and fictional characters to get their points across, this time they took a more direct route warning fellow bands about letting their egos get out of hand. It makes this song the most attention-grabbing on the album, and fans are already driving themselves crazy deciphering the mystery of whom is being referenced.

"GUNSHOTS" keeps the record turning like a calliope carousel on drugs about to spin out of control. The strong storytelling element to this song keeps the lyrics at the forefront, but the music has a palpable atmosphere that transports you out of this world! The classic punk riffs come out to play for "IKAROS" which contrasts nicely with song before it. Outside of that, it's a rehash of older material. They virtually cut and pasted the ending of "Happy Home" right onto this song and thought no one would notice. The emotional vocal melody is buried whenever the guitars come in and they don't compliment each other very well. "Slim Thing", the next track, highlights some interesting and unusual musical choices from SiM. I've never heard guitar work like this from the band before and I'm glad to see them expanding their repertoire. This might be the first time they've stripped down without resorting to a ballad or dub intermission. The placement in the tracklist also worked in this song's favor. Rounding out the album, "Teardrops" brings the intensity down a notch and SiM reminds you that they can do emotional rock as well. It straddles the line between a lullaby and a breakdown, yet restrains the 'heaviest' parts in effects so they don't steal the show. I was leery of ending the album on a melancholy note but with such a drastic mood change, this was the best place to cut the album short.

Overall, i AGAINST i ends up being hit and miss. The fat could have been trimmed to reduce this mini to one kick-ass maxi single. If that had been the case, "Teardrops" would've had a better place in the middle instead of slowing the mini to a tepid stop. But since the high points were so high, it's a ride I'd get in line for again. The reggae infused songs were a lot stronger than others on Pandora and they brought back that vintage SiM feel. This band is much better at creating cohesive albums with varied content, but they've fallen a bit short this time. i AGAINST i lives up to it's title, with too many tracks that work against each other and even themselves.

Sign in to follow this