No.47

I think I'm Getting sick of Visual Kei bands

Don't know why but I'm just getting sick of all the make up, posing in the middle of a PV for fan girls, and all that junk

For example. I used to love Gazette now I look at reita and think he just look damn right silly. 

Should I feel bad about not giving a crap about VK anymore? 

never feel bad for not giving a shit about the gazette anymore, they are just a starter band with a few songs here and there to headbob to. as for looks ................

How can you get sick of all the beauty you see here!? D': JUNK!? REITA LOOKS 'DAMN RIGHT SILLY?' You can't see me, but I'm shaking my head in disapproval on this. No offense but.. why you do this? Here? And on your last question... Yes. Yes, you should.

In all seriousness, if it's just the look you've gone off of, that doesn't stop you from enjoying the scene right? Had to refrain myself from spamming so many GIFS on this one. xD

Don't know why but I'm just getting sick of all the make up, posing in the middle of a PV for fan girls, and all that junk

For example. I used to love Gazette now I look at reita and think he just look damn right silly. 

Congratulations! You have realized how shallow the depths of visual-kei is. Now feel free to look beyond the lake that is visual kei and move into the ocean of alternative J-music.

[/sarcasm]

But in all honesty, the reason why we split the download forums into two is precisely because of users like you - people that tire of visual kei music but not necessarily Japanese music and are looking for a bit more. Don't limit yourself because of labels or phenomena or "omg what would zess think!?!?!". If you don't like visual kei anymore, look elsewhere. I guarantee you there's plenty of music in Japan alone to keep you occupied.

I only like visual kei because there's some crossdressers, plus the music is cool sometimes. Other than that, I don't care much for it either. I'm just mainly in it for the music.

[lol at butthurt gazette fans]

Why should anyone need to feel bad about growing out of a music genre? That's like feeling bad about not watching Barney anymore. Different things are bound to appeal to you at different points in your life.

Why should anyone need to feel bad about growing out of a music genre? That's like feeling bad about not watching Barney anymore. Different things are bound to appeal to you at different points in your life.

Because VK isn't a genre? And yeah, people "growing out" of a music scene were probably in it for wrong reasons in the first place. So I guess uh... do what everyone else does and go listen to kpop instead because it's so much more ~*~mature~*~ *shrug*

It is completely normal for a person to grow out of a music scene or genre, so I personally do not see why everyone seems to be attacking the original poster. I myself have grown out of a variety of music scenes for eventually thinking it to be silly or just not my game anymore. Everyone has at some point.

Yes, and? 

What substantial difference would it make to the music if all these things were suddenly gone? The musical heritage and traditions of visual kei would remain intact nonetheless, and most importantly what does it matter if they cater to fangirls? Is the implication here that if visual kei ditched the aesthetic and became "serious music" catering to males in their 20's and 30's the artists then would aspire to some never before seen heights of musical integrity? Oh if finally I could take Gazette to dinner parties and church fund raisers and impress all my buddies! While OP here was being more modest than usual the folk who go about the issue, this is basically what was being said here: "I am ashamed of listening to music with musicians who don't look acceptable and only if they could ditch the aesthetic and move on to make serious real music!". The real irony in this usually is that the people who do move on from visual kei usually go to no greener pastures and instead masturbate over some awful garbage like metal bands fresh from their show at Wacken.

What people seem to often disregard is that no musical movement is void of extra-musical bells and whistles and musicians of all of them tend to fit a certain image often ascribed to the people who play the sort of music that they do. As if everything from indie rock to punk and bloody witch house didn't have a carefully thought out image to fill, and the reason why this is, is that the artists prefer it that way. If it weren't all about the looks then why do all the bands of particular scenes look exactly same? It is the culture which has developed hand in hand with the music itself, and they are inseparable. 

I can only deduce that people who would prefer their visual kei in backwards caps and cargo shorts are tasteless ingrates insecure about their own image. 

Nobody cares.

Basically.

It's just music. Anyone who is taking it that seriously is probably not enjoying it as much as they could. Go. Be free little butterfly, and go listen to new things. Seriously. No one is mad because you want to listen to other music. VK isn't a prison. You can go explore other things. Heck, you might even come back to it some day. *le gasp*

How can you get sick of all the beauty you see here!? D': JUNK!? REITA LOOKS 'DAMN RIGHT SILLY?' You can't see me, but I'm shaking my head in disapproval on this. No offense but.. why you do this? Here? And on your last question... Yes. Yes, you should.

In all seriousness, if it's just the look you've gone off of, that doesn't stop you from enjoying the scene right? Had to refrain myself from spamming so many GIFS on this one. xD

Butthurt taken to the extreme!!

Butthurt taken to the extreme!!

xD I was merely joking on that one hon. Should have used those GIFS if my smaller remark didn't express it was just a joke haha. So, my mistake then. To each his own I say on this. You were waiting for a 'butthurt fan?' xD

That's perfectly fine that VK no longer sustains your interests - just be wary of allowing your shift in opinion to digress into some kind of hypocritically jaded hatred for the scene and it's fans.

I say this because all too often people who experience these kinds of evolutionary moments in their musical journeys feel the need to criticize, belittle and demean their past phases in an attempt to validate their current interests. One needn't do that, because when it comes to music, your tastes are substantial regardless of what you listen to and regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Although I definitely understand the need to have your tastes validated...it's something that feeds the ego (which i think we're all hardwired to do). But once you realize how purely ego-driven it all is, then I think you'll realize how fruitless of an endeavor seeking such validation can be and that music taste (in this case your shift in music taste) isn't that big of a deal.

But hey, none of us are supreme enlightened beings (except for Bear - he's pretty perfect ^__~) and we're all guilty of seeking validation and just wanting to reaffirm ourselves in many ways. So to answer your question again - is it a bad thing that you've lost interest in VK? Absolutely not! Listen to whatever appeals to you - just remember that everything appeals to someone, so even if you've lost interest in it, at least try to maintain some level of respect for the scene and it's fans. ;3

There is a non-vk section being expanded and worked upon (not exactly "the section" tho, but you can see the attempt tbqh), go and explore it instead of dedicating your thread to some petty taste-related issues  :lolita_rofl: (not to mention that there's a similar thread somewhere...)

I thought it was becoming boring to me between 2006 and 2008 and stopped listening to new releases. But then I realized that I still like the old stuff and that there is even more old music I haven't heard yet. I think even if the new bands are becoming more repetitive you can still listen to the oldies. Or you realize that you no longer like it, move on and listen to something else.

What I don't understand are people who stop liking VK and then try to diss it, probably to show how much more mature they now are for having "grown out of it." In the vein of "I used to be such a Visual kei weaboo, but now I listen to real muzic. How could I ever like this? Only little kids listen to it, bcuz VK is silly and sucks!!" I found a whole blog with people like this on livejournal once. They tried so hard to look cool, it's funny and sad at the same time.

lj breeds wank, there used to be a dedicated blog for any derivative of "____ is for pussies, as growing up I finally found the lord" 

not sure if tumblr took over that aspect as well

I thought it was becoming boring to me between 2006 and 2008 and stopped listening to new releases. But then I realized that I still like the old stuff and that there is even more old music I haven't heard yet. I think even if the new bands are becoming more repetitive you can still listen to the oldies. Or you realize that you no longer like it, move on and listen to something else.

What I don't understand are people who stop liking VK and then try to diss it, probably to show how much more mature they now are for having "grown out of it." In the vein of "I used to be such a Visual kei weaboo, but now I listen to real muzic. How could I ever like this? Only little kids listen to it, bcuz VK is silly and sucks!!" I found a whole blog with people like this on livejournal once. They tried so hard to look cool, it's funny and sad at the same time.

yeah my point was only about most newer bands. I still enjoy listening to the old stuff and there are even some very few newer bands that I can enjoy. I just can't see any more of those blitz and realies bands or the big bunch of "different" gazettes and whatnot - what made vk interesting for me personally was the originality of some concepts (and the many crappy old school bands, that are still entertaining while sucking) and that exactly is something that's becoming pretty rare