Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas! The Staff Album Picks of 2014.

Welcome to the 25 days of MH-mas! What is that you might ask? Well, the MH official reviewers and the staff have gotten together in an attempt to create a list of out favorite releases from 2014 (excluding December). Every day of the month we will be posting a new album until we reach the number one release on our list on Christmas day. Each album will come along with a little blurb from different staff members explaining why the release made it on the list (and an occasional dissenting opinion). Keep in mind that it is impossible to really create a list that captures all of the diverse tastes of the our individual staff members, so you will have to wait for the staff member's individual lists if you really want to know a certain member's favorites. Also, the list was limited to only Japanese album (cause, I mean, this is a Japanese music forum).

This post will serve as the "directory" with all of individual albums being featured in each reply post. The discussion for this will go in THIS THREAD.

And without further ado, the list!

1. 和楽器バンド - ボカロ三昧 (Wagakki Band - Vocalo Zanmai)
  2. カメレオ - ハイカラ (Kameleo - High Collar)
  3. Girugamesh - Gravitation 
  4. アルカラ - CAO (Arukara - CAO)
  5. 八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 攻撃的国民的音楽 (88kasyo junrei - kougeki teki kokumin teki ongaku)
  6. TK from 凛として時雨 - Fantastic Magic (TK from Ling Tosite Sigure - Fantastic Magic)
  7. テスラは泣かない。- TESLA doesn't know how to cry 
  8. ねごと - "Z"OOM (NEGOTO - "Z"OOM)
  9. chouchou merged syrups. - clepsydra
  10. asobius - pray & grow
  11. Royz - Core
  12. 陰陽座 - 風神界逅 / 雷神創世 (Onmyo-za - Fuujinkaikou / Raijinsouse)
  13. MY FIRST STORY - 虚言NEUROSE
  14. 夜の本気ダンス  - DANCE STEP (honki dance - DANCE STEP)
  15. FACT - Witness
  16. 撃鉄 - NO UNDERGROUND (Gekitetsu - NO UNDERGROUND)
  17. ミソッカス - 統一された混沌(カオス) (misokkasu - touitsu sareta chaos)
  18. jizue - Shiori
  19. THE NOVEMBERS - Rhapsody in beauty
  20. Mono - The Last Dawn / Rays of Darkness
  21. HOLLOWGRAM - Qualia
  22. sukekiyo - IMMORTALIS
  23. KAMIJO - Heart
  24. Boris - Noise
  25. Charisma.com - DIStopping

Day 1 - 和楽器バンド - ボカロ三昧 (Wagakki Band - Vocalo Zanmai)

BioXVu2.jpg

Release Date: 2014-04-23

Label: Avex

Genre: Rock/Folk/Visual Kei/Female Fronted

Impressions from :

和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band) were a breath of fresh air this year. For a band who has barely been together over a year, the amount of solidarity found in their unique blend of neo-traditional Japanese rock is impressive. Their debut album, ボカロ三昧(Vocalo Zanmai), gained a lot of traction with the help of the promoted song "千本桜(Senbonzakura)" and it's music video that received something like eleven million views on Youtube and counting! So to say this band is well on their way is an understatement. I don't follow vocaloid music so all of the songs were new to me, but I think that speaks to the strength of this album. It's approachable no matter what path led you to it. I will say that the promoted songs gave me the expectation of a bit more rock elements that came up rather short on the album overall. But there are still some gems on Vocalo Zanmai I'd recommend: "いろは唄(Iroha Uta)" which probably has the strongest electric guitar presence on the entire album. "Episode.0" showcases the duel vocalists in the group in an epic, historic drama soundtrack worthy ballad. And "脳漿炸裂ガール(Noushou Sakuretsu Girl)", a rapid fire delivery, quirky, hand-clapper that should get just about anyone up out of their seats. If you're in need of something to spice up your playlists, this is your album.

Impressions from @Zeus:

Wagakki Band put the "Japanese" back into Japanese rock.

Rock bands that incorporate traditional Japanese influences aren't something new. It's not often that a rock band features a dedicated flutist, koto player, shamisen player, and wadaiko player in addition to the traditional guitarist/bassist/drummer/vocalist core. It's also not often that members from visual kei session bands, utaite and niconico circles come together under one flag to collaborate. What Wagakki-Band brings to the table with Vocalo Zanmai is an approach so unique and an execution so well-done that no other band can match what they do.

Wagakki-Band don't just incorporate these influences into their rock music - it's one and the same. Any doubts as to whether or not it translates into interesting music is absolved at the chorus of "Tengoku", where vocalist and linchpin Yuko Suzuhana steals the show with her flawless fusion of straightforward singing and enka. They then wash, rinse, and repeat twelve times to show you they mean business. By inverting their approach to rock music on almost every level conceivable, they've attained their own level of musical insularity - matched only by a handful of other bands such as Ling Toshite Shigure and 88 Kasyo Junrei.

Vocalo Zanmai may be a cover album, but the way this band chewed these songs up and spit them out makes them all unrecognizable. It's enough to make you forget these were covers in the first place! A band able to take not one but twelve different songs by twelve different artists and produce such a solid album shows their level of skill and musicianship. Wagakki-Band have already shown us with their first original song "Hanabi" that they are capable of their own compositions without faltering on the quality.

The hype train is boarding and you're all invited.

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | yesasia

Day 2 - カメレオ - ハイカラ (Kameleo - High Collar)

3rBH6EA.jpg

Release Date: 2014-10-15

Label: Danger Crue Records

Genre: Visual Kei

Impressions from Linh-san

Kameleo is one of my favorite bands who gives me great enegery boosts with their music.

''ハイカラ’’ is basically another great album after their previous album ''NOW''!

Their previous album ''NOW’’ from last year has lots of song variations, it’s not like how they usually put their singles together with the same kind of music style (some heavier songs, sort of ballad songs, those cheerful/genki up songs and so on), which makes you not bored by listening them.

Some favorite songs of mine on their album are definitely: 現代病写, ダメ男, v(^_^)v, ♪ラララ♪, 一刀両断!!, 

万歳\(・∀・)/Music!

These songs are definitely worth to try out, also when you just like oshare kei. :3

Impressions from fitear1950

カメレオ (KAMELEO) delivers sunny oshare energy from the early 2000s, combined with the chuggy riffs and pulsing "bleep bloop" synths of the current VK generation. Despite being a synth-heavy band like Danger Crue label mates DIV and UNiTE., all three bands use vastly different techniques. Pleasantly nasal vocalist HIKARU sings many catchy choruses, but the band also joins in for some occasional sing-along action. While カメレオ's style of pop rock is a smidge too happy for me, they are at least creative. They manage to cut the sweetness of their music with interesting moments of jittery time signature change ups, vocal distortion, and a sense of mischief. If you want fun and catchy VK, be sure to give their album a try! 

Highlights: ダメ男, 新人類, 現代病写

Sample song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgU3saRpiRw

Buy the album:

CDJapan | yesasia

Day 3 - Girugamesh - Gravitation

jRgWnks.jpg

Release Date: 2014-09-24

Label: Danger Crue

Genre: Rock/Metal

Impressions by @Ito

I’ll admit that I had pretty much given up on Girugamesh. I kept on checking out every new release, hoping for something, but constantly being disappointed. Sure, most of it wasn’t –awful-, but next to the magic of some of their earlier releases I had a hard time accepting them as anything other than failures. So imagine my surprise upon spinning Gravitation for the first time. I found myself think “wait…is this actually good?!?” And I’ll be damned if this mini isn’t the best music Giru has created since Music in 2008.

Now I’m not going to say that Gravitation is anything revolutionary. With guitar tones that feel very djent, those single note style breakdowns that are so popular, and Giru’s signature pop choruses, there really isn’t all that much new here. But everything feels so solid. Top that off with the fact that we finally have screams again that really feel like they have power and emotion behind them. Gravitation is a hard hitting and head banging record, but most important of all it is downright fun.

Welcome back, Girugamesh. You’ve been missed.

Impressions by

First of all, I have to congratulate on Girugamesh's 10th anniversary this year.

It's sure been so long that an indie rock band like them has come this far through the time whereas a lot of visual kei bands have disbanded and left the music scene during those days.

They are one of the bands I grew up with and have been so into since their initial era.

I still remember myself listening to Uso and Fujun Ai on repeat the first time I discovered the band in February 2005. lol

There were so many impressions and disappointments in these 10 years though. Time sure flies.

You all may have realized that the current Girugamesh is a complete different band compared to what they were back then, and gravitation is like the first release under their "complete non-VK" image to me.

The album itself is pretty short but contains certain quality heavy songs that won't fail hardcore Girugamesh fans who once were disappointed and lost faith in their music. lml

It's worth listening to every single song although it didn't come with even a ballad. You don't need one.

However, I personally can't pick up my top favorite track off the album since each song is likely on the same par. I believe you can't go wrong with either of them though.

You did it right, Satoshi! Just leave the softer music to REDMAN, Girugamesh is way better when it comes to headbanging.  :rock:

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsia | iTunes

Day 4 - アルカラ - CAO (Arukara - CAO)

ukiotKk.jpg

Label: Victor Entertainment

Genre: Rock/Indie

Impressions by @Original Saku

After continuous consecutive album releases year after year each album being just as solid as the ones that came before, arukara has released their 2014 offering 'CAO'. This is their 7th album and that makes 7 albums in the span of 7 years, normally bands would be losing inspiration and facing quality problems with a crazy release schedule like that, but arukara is obviously a cut above the rest. All their albums have had a level of quality about them... some were obviously better than others but none of them have been outright bad. Now onto 'CAO' specifically. It is simply good like really good, in fact I would call it crazy good.

The album is eight songs strong and there's not one bad track on the record. Each one has that catchy sound and formula that people have come to expect from the band and somehow for some reason 'CAO' sounds fresher than albums from past years. It's hard to put my finger on it but somehow they have made an album that screams what they have been about for years, yet makes you feel as if there's a subtle difference in that formula. This band just keeps me coming back for more and more every year and I'm never disappointed, this year that statement is more true than ever. 'CAO' reminded why this wonderful group of musicians are among my favorite.

Highlights: アブノーマルが足りない, む・つ・ご・と, ドナドナドーナツ

Impressions by @CAT5

arukara have been on fire since 2009, and although last year's "むにむにの樹" saw their flame flicker a bit, they've returned fully ignited with their 7th album "CAO". The band's sound, which combines all of the hookiness and buoyancy of pop music with the multifaceted indie-rock ingenuity of an early 9mm parabellum bullet, has been refined to perfection. The instrumentation is intensely melodic and much more colorful than before, with each member taking an equal amount of prominence in the mix. The songwriting is also instantly infectious without compromising the band's musicality. This is probably my favorite arukara album yet, as it's entirely cohesive without a dull moment to speak of, and each track can stand on it's own outside of the album's context. Highly recommended if you enjoy energetic, radio-friendly rock tunes with great vocals and spiffy instrumentation!

Highlights: 愚痴ばっかりのローレロレロ, アブノーマルが足りない, 嘘つきライアー

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsia

Day 5 - 八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 攻撃的国民的音楽 (88kasyo junrei - kougeki teki kokumin teki ongaku)

BsDAmZZ.jpg

Release Date: Date

Label: PPR

Genre: Progressive Rock/Psychedlic Rock

Impressions from @Original Saku

88kasyo Junrei, a band that many would say sound out of this world and some would say look the part as well, a trio of musicians from outer space playing a unique sound scape of tunes that are not comparable to many if any other bands of this world. That would be my perspective of this band. 88kasyo has a unique sound that incorporates many different genres of music including progressive and psychedelic rock to name a few. They meld these genres together to make something different, accompanying the unique sound of the music is the crazy and what some would call bizarre vocals courtesy of Margaret the vocalist of the trio.

'攻撃的国民的音楽' is in many ways more of the same from this band, which is definitely not a bad thing... when I think of this album the old phrase "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" comes to mind. That's exactly what it boils down to, The sound that I fell in love with at the beginning is still intact with this album and that makes me more than happy. If you have listened to 88kasyo before and liked them then this album is for you, if you haven't checked them out before then this album or any of their others are a good place to start.

Highlights: 赤い衝動-R.I.P-, IMNY, 都会の魔界

Impressions from @Jigsaw9

Crazy, chaotic, avant-garde. These are usually the first words that pop into your head when you get your first taste of 八十八ヶ所巡礼, and if you're receptive enough you’ll be coming back for more. There is something charming and catchy in the sheer bizarrerie of their brand of mathy and psychedelic indie-prog. Their latest offering 攻撃的国民的音楽 is another solid entry in the 88kasyo legacy. Admittedly, if you've already heard some of their works then there won't be many surprises here but that's not a bad thing at all. One of 88kasyo's strongest appeals, at least for me, is their constant emphasis on making entertaining and quality songs in that peculiar style they carved out for themselves. Just another short 30 minutes packed with quirky, trippy and cutting tunes that you can gladly put next to their past oeuvre. Totally recommended for fans of a more experimental rock sound.

Impressions from @fitear1590:

八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88 Kasyo Junrei) has always excelled at producing an astoundingly dense, technical sound for a trio. This is no different on their most recent, yet shortest album. Vocalist Margaret continues the rhythmic yelping, which we have come to know and love. All while maintaining their unique sound, the band channels variously psychedelic, funky, and groovy sounds. It may be a little difficult to recall individual songs from the album (or the band's discography actually) as the band is decidedly un-catchy -- some would say a bit "same-y." Having said, no other band comes remotely close to this sound, so they certainly get a pass from me. While not exactly my favorite album of theirs (that probably goes to 2012's ○△□ ), this is another solid addition to the band's repertoire.

Highlights: 赤い衝動-R.I.P-, 攻撃的国民的音楽

Impressions from @CAT5

I'm not gonna lie - I'm horribly biased when it comes to 88kasyo. If you've been following my Best-Of lists over the past few years, then you've probably noticed that their albums have made an appearance every time; even when I thought the band wasn't at their best. I can't help myself. Their formula is like a nonstop barrage of endorphins on my musical pleasure zones - heaps of melody, quirky and eccentric songwriting, unhinged yet groovy instrumentation, just the right amount of excessive noodling - *swoons* need I go on? It's like they've condensed all of the grandeur and ambition of progressive rock into these weird bite-sized tunes that are equally as potent. They've taken their signature sound, polished it in all the right places and made this my favorite 88Kasyo release since 2011's "SYG88".

Highlights: 赤い衝動-R.I.P-, Violet Purple Bible, -超感覚的宇宙-

Sample song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D90AOhojK3M

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsia

Day 6 - TK from 凛として時雨 - Fantastic Magic (TK from Ling Tosite Sigure - Fantastic Magic)

sdu1p8y.jpg

Release Date: 2014-08-27
Label: Sony Music Entertainment

Impressions from @Original Saku:

TK from the very popular indie rock band 凛として時雨 (Ling tosite sigure) is one of those vocalists that take some time to get used to, I know many people who can't stand his voice or vocal technique to the point where they were never able to get into his work whether it be with LTS or his solo project. On the other hand I know people who stuck with it and eventually he grew on them, I'm one of those people. Basically TK is a musician with a somewhat eccentricity when it comes to vocal style and song writing, and I can say without a doubt his music is not for everyone.

This year TK has released his second full length solo album 'Fantastic Magic'. This album was what many people were anticipating all year long, me being one of those people. Now the big question is did it deliver? Well it wouldn't be on the staff list if it didn't silly. Yes it delivers and I'm pretty sure most fans are happy with the outcome. Tk's solo project differs a little from his work in LTS, some would say that the song writing is less ambitious or more simple, on some levels I agree with that statement. I think 'Fantastic magic' is a wonderful album with some really good song writing and that special brand of eccentricity that fans have come to expect from TK.

Highlights: unravel, tokio, contrast

Impressions from @Zeus

Fantastic Magic is one of those albums that reveals itself to the listener over time. It's cut from the same cloth as sister band 凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Shigure), so expect eccentric, ambitious indie rock with some very "interesting" vocals. There's always been a rough beauty to TK's high pitched, abrasive vocals, and what he lacks in skill he makes up for with the music. This time he's paired them with lavish, ambitious compositions that utilize the trifecta of piano, electric violin, and guitar to good effect. They go together so well that neither would work as well without the other.

It's not immediately clear what's so different between his band and his solo projects - and the answer is nothing at all - but there's a sense of freedom to make music with no compromises that oozes throughout the album. It's really difficult for me to find another indie rock album from this year that's anywhere near as engaging or expressive as Fantastic Magic. Plenty of other bands have tried to replicate 凛として時雨 complex style and delivery and no one has come close as of yet. Fantastic Magic is more proof that indie rock is TK's realm and everyone else is just living in it.

Highlights: unravel, Fantastic Magic, contrast

Impressions from

TK from 凛として時雨(Rin Toshite Shigure), male vocalist of said band, presents his second solo album titled Fantastic Magic. 凛として時雨 and TK’s solo works are indie rock and alternative, but both units also utilize the genre of shoegaze, making them incredibly interesting. As TK breaks away for a solo effort from his band formed way back in 2002, he successfully creates a wild and dramatic ride sure to please all our musical needs.

The single “unravel,” featured as the opening for anime Tokyo Ghoul is the song many listeners will be looking out for. It gets any listener pumped up for what’s coming next. Thanks to the cluster of violins, drums and guitars playing together, and the emotional drive of TK’s helpless tone, “unravel” is a very gripping song. Along with the tuneful build up to the end, we’re hit by TK’s desperate shrieks after the first chorus. Not only is it fitting for the anime tie-in, it’s a perfect fit to TK’s signature musical style with the mixture of high and low vocalisation, creating a quick, pulse-racing track.

Listeners who haven’t given a shot at the genre should definitely give TK a listen. His individuality and uniqueness is expressed wonderfully and definitely deserving of more attention. Because of how the tracks are ordered, various songs contrast effectively with one another. The tranquility of each and every song really does deserve recognition and worth a look.

Link to the full review

Stand out tracks: Every single track

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | YesASia | iTunes Japan

Day 7 - テスラは泣かない。- TESLA doesn't know how to cry

aNe6t64.jpg

Release Date: 2014-06-25
Label: Virgin Music

So TESLA finally went major. Rerecording a handful of songs from their 2012 album High noble march (alongside plenty of new material), the band provides us with a way to directly compare their major and indie material. How do they fare on their new album? Better than most of us were expecting. Their previously sparse piano sections sound fuller on the new material and what a difference it makes. The brand new songs feature more interesting compositions compared to the older tracks. Manabu is still not my favorite vocalist, but with this album, TESLA is in top form. They are on their way to carving out a respectable niche in the Japanese indie rock world if they keep up this momentum.

Highlights: Cry Cry Cry, Lie to Myself, めんどくせえ

Going into the album I didn't know what to expect, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more than a little worried... With this being their first album since going major and with the re-recordings of past songs included for the ride. This could of very well have been a horrible disaster, but it wasn't. TESLA delivers that fun energetic piano rock sound that we have come to expect from them and they sound as great as ever doing it. The old songs sound just as good if not better than the originals and the new material is what really sells the album for me. With a new found polish to their sound in hand, the new songs sound great and I have no complaints with song writing or composition at all. After just discovering them last year TESLA is fast becoming a new favorite of mine in the Japanese indie rock scene. Highlights: Cry Cry Cry, Lie to myself, cold girl lost fiction

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | YesAsia

Day 8 - ねごと - "Z"OOM (NEGOTO - "Z"OOM)

mXe6vO3.jpg

Release Date: 2014-03-12

Label: Ki/oon Records

Genre: Rock/Female Fronted

"Z"OOM is the first mini-album from ねごと (NEGOTO) in 4 years. After experimenting with a more streamlined sound (read: less synths) on their 2013 album 5, the band returns this time with a sound closer to the style on their debut album ex Negoto.  As usual, NEGOTO deliver their signature blend of masterfully crafted pop-rock with indie sensibilities. From the stunning synths during PV track 真夜中のアンセム's chorus to the slow buildup in the mini's final ballad track, there's a lot to love here. Combined with their double whammy of a single, アンモナイト! / 黄昏のラプソディ, NEGOTO have had a very strong year.

Highlights: 真夜中のアンセム, 風惹かれ, 勲章

NEGOTO is an all girl pop-rock band that has constantly caught my attention over the years, seemingly getting better and better release after release. "Z"OOM is no different from their other releases in that sense. With this mini album we're welcomed with the return of the synths used in their earlier works and that infectious pop-rock sound that they have built their name upon. There's not much to hate about this mini, it's a catchy and very enjoyable listen through and through. I've always wondered why they aren't more known/popular among the non-vk heads here on the forum... I feel like a lot of people might be overlooking them, I hope more people will give them a fair shake after reading this.

Highlights: 真夜中のアンセム, 迷宮ラブレター, 勲章

Sample song:

Buy the album:

YesAsia | CDJapan | Amazon

Day 9 - chouchou merged syrups. - clepsydra

RhA7GPR.jpg

Release Date: 2014-06-25

Label: Zankyou

Genre: Rock/Indie/Female Fronted

Impressions by @Ito

Every year I seem to check out a handful of good female fronted indie bands. The results are usually fun, enjoyable, but ultimately forgettable. Chouchou merged syrups is thankfully both of the former but none of the later. Opening with a swelling ambient track that blooms in to an intense track with a slightly darker vibe, clepsydra pulled my interest right from the start. The album dances around from slow, post rock style songs to you more standard upbeat indie tracks. But it isn’t what it does, but how it does it. Each track has its own personality that keeps them memorable after the album ends. Not only is this one of the best female fronted albums of the year, but also one of the best indie albums of the year.

I've heard that chouchou merged syrups. have had problems with past releases, I have not had the opportunity myself to first hand see if that is truthful. What I do know is that 'clepsydra' is one hell of an album and if what they say about their previous album is true then I'm really glad that chouchou was able to get their priorities together and make this wonderful album. 'clepsydra' is without a doubt my favorite female fronted release this year and is really high up on my personal top list. If you are looking for some really good female fronted indie rock with great and memorable song writing and melodies than please check out this album from one of my new favorites.

Highlights: 斜陽, 踊る、そして, 風のように

Impressions by @CAT5

chouchou merged syrups. is produced by cinema staff's bassist, so both bands have a similar sonic phrasing, and they also share a penchant for intricate, yet hooky songwriting that mixes driving indie-rock with emo-inspired guitar riffs. That's not to suggest that chouchou are a mere carbon copy with a different set of pipes, though. "clepsydra" is short but does an amazing job at flaunting the band's improved songwriting and new-found dynamism. chouchou merged syrups. may not have the mainstream appeal of cinema staff, and they probably won't be performing the theme song for next season's hit anime, but "clepsydra" boasts a sound that should be a real treat for Japanese indie fans and more than welcoming to newcomers.

I wrote a full, more detailed review here ;3

Highlights: 橙鳴る, 斜陽, 風のように

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | Amazon | iTunes

Day 10 - asobius - pray & grow

jvaz7AK.jpg

Release Date: 2014-03-19

Label: RX-RECORDS

Genre: Rock/Alternative

Impressions by

asobius make it infinitely hard to describe their sound. They fuse elements of indie rock and ethereal pop then layer it with soaring angelic vocals resulting in a sonic wonderland. play&grow makes me want to turn my headphones all the way up, close my eyes, and escape into another world. This band has a way of building up their songs instrument by instrument and layer by layer until they are so full they are almost overwhelming. They can take you to the brink with huge dramatic choruses, and also subdue you with jazzy interludes at the next turn. There is not a single song I can bring myself to skip, so I have to agree that the promoted singles "starlight", "discovery", and "I'm in the love" are all great representations of the album for new listeners. Not only is it an amazing album on it's own, but the fact that they released it as a double album with the songs recorded in both English and Japanese languages is a unique approach I've not seen done before. play&grow is one of my favorite releases this year and I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys melodic rock with lots of character and depth.

Impressions by

Sometimes, music can be true art, managing to create some incredible imagery and taking every listener on a highly enjoyable journey. And no one will ever convince me of asobius not being one of those bands to prove this right. Being influenced by similar sounding bands such as mew, their genre can be described as electronic indie pop and rock, but they mix up so many sounds with different approaches it’s difficult to keep it at just that! Managing to sound hopeful and cheerful in each track, they take us to a very colourful world we’re sure to keep returning to. There’s so much in this one album alone to adore. Not one track disappoints, nor does it fail to deliver something different and even manages to stand out against every other song.

These guys also put extra effort and receive extra kudos from me for including 20 tracks in total in this album for having both English and Japanese sung lyrics. Messages are now clear, we can celebrate life along with them and I’m sure they’ll continue to add such bright colours in everything they do. Pray & grow won’t be an album you’ll have to pray to enjoy or that’ll have to grow on you, you definitely will dig it!

Favourites tracks: Starlight, New Morning, I’m in love, Dive in The Lake and Waltz.

Sample: 

But the album:

CDJapanHMV | iTunes

Day 11 - Royz - Core

gKmkFXF.jpg

Release Date: 07-02-2014

Label: B.P.RECORDS

Impressions by @Linh-san

Royz is one of the most popular bands among the fans in the visual kei scene at the moment.

They've been touring around Asia quite a lot lately.

With their incredible releases in 2013: EGOIST, TEARS & Lilia they came back in 2014 with an even more stronger release, a 2nd full album: CORE. (Too bad they haven't released much except their upcoming new release Supernova on the 10th of December).

Anyways, Kazuki (ex-Royz guitarist) still participated in this album, as you could see him in the MV REVELATION (Director's cut version).

The songs in this album are going really well together, they have some connections with each other.

All members are really working hard and improving a lot. They've been really creative with composing songs that just catch my attention so well.

My favorite songs on this album are: REVELATION, 疾風迅雷, EGOIST, Answer, 囁姫遊女 & 洗礼.

Impressions by @fitear1590:

I haven't heard a Royz release in years, but CORE is their latest album. What we have here is a collection of by-the-numbers "neo VK" anthems: chuggy riffs, extremely poppy choruses, and (slightly grating) synths. Royz rarely bring any surprises to the table (with the exception of my favorite track, LILIA), but if you're a fan, at least you know you can depend on them to produce songs of the same quality. Vocalist Subaru does deserve some praise though. He has a nice, clear voice and can hit a good falsetto. Besides the synths (I blame their label, B.P. Records), Royz has some generally pleasant (if predictable) compositions. Because the majority of their songs give off a similar energy, you are likely to know how you'll feel about the band after listening to just a few of their tracks. While this album is likely to only catch the attention of a very specific subset of the Japanese music fanbase, it does what it sets out to do pretty well.  You can't fault Royz for doing what works for them.

Highlights: LILIA, Subaru's singing

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsia | HMV

Day 12 - 陰陽座 - 風神界逅 / 雷神創世 (Onmyo-za - Fuujinkaikou / Raijinsouse)

0D9og36.jpg

Label: King Records
Genre: Metal/Power Metal/Visual Kei/Angura Kei/Female fronted

Impressions from :

The mighty majestic masters of traditional Japanese heavy metal band, 陰陽座 (Onmyouza, literally meaning “gathering of yin and yang”) strikes with thunder and lightning this year with two very attractive album releases. These guys debuted way back in 1999 and have been pulling out all the stops for this kind of genre, unfortunately being rather underappreciated in the Japanese music scene overall. Their name nicely reflects their female and male duo vocals of Matatabi and Kuroneko, having two guitarists, and having contrasting/opposing themes in lyrics. This group enforces many genres into their work, creating breath-taking and versatile works. From folk to ballads, these guys give it their all with a powerful duo, partnered with pulse racing instrumentals which never, ever slip up.

First, the album 雷神創世, this one being the heavier of the two. Featuring a lot of quick riffs and punchy slams of drums and strings, this one effectively shows off their ability in excelling at their main genre of heavy metal. Full of so much energy and with such fast paced tracks, it’s hard to believe anyone not appreciating their effort and charm. While each song may seem similar, the album definitely keeps you hooked with intoxicating band playing that always has a different melody to it yet still delivers such electricity throughout. Track four, 人首丸 really does this for me, and with Matatabi’s growls, it’s one of those gems when needing a metal track to let out your angry with. A highlight track of this first album is definitely 累. Even though it’s thirteen minutes long, it's progressive and engaging throughout. It incorporates different paces, slowing down then speeding up as quick as a flash. Being a lengthy and rather romantic track, it infuses Matatabi’s darker vocals against Kuroneko's angelic voice. This isn’t the only song to do this glorious combination, but in this particular track, it’s ever so striking. And followed by 蜩 after, the slowest track of this album, it’s the true love song which, having a much more approachable running time, really hits thanks to Kuroneko's gorgeous vocals.

With a more elegant and magical opener to 風神界逅, it’s a lot more enjoyable, in my opinion, contrasting brilliantly to 雷神創世. With more obvious differencing melodies in each track while also keeping it at an engaging pace, this is definitely deserving of more than 5 stars alone. If you’re feeling intimidated by the first album, give this one a try first and then approach their signature sound int he first release. Tracks four to six really caught my attention on first listen, number four and six having highly addicting beats while the fifth track being one of the most enjoyable and magical tracks by them to me. With a lot more varied sounds because of its branching out to slower tempos and less of the heavy metal sound, this album of the double release is definitely worth the hour long album listen. Simply enchanting, I just can’t complain on this one at all. I instead have way too much praise for them to fit into here on this one.

These guys sure know how to make an impression. With undeniably beautiful and strong lead vocals from both male and female vocalists, they deliver spot on. When Kuroneko hits those high notes, it’s hypnotising. When Matatabi gives us his harsh and heavy vocals, it's exquisite. Their strong, traditional voices are my main highlight of listening to this band. Everything about these albums balance so well. It’s like listening to a theatre performance, the first part being dramatic, bold and dark, and then taking a more transient and calmer second part. If you’re interested in hearing one of the best traditional bands in Japan, you better get your way over to their discography! Two hours well spent.

Impressions from @Zeus:

It may have taken them three years, but 風神界逅(fuujinkaikou) and 雷神創世(raijinsousei) are a monolithic compendium of Onmyouza's self branded youkai heavy metal. Translating to "Fuujin Against the Realms" and "Genesis of Raijin", respectively, these two albums together weave a saga about a war between the gods of wind and lightning. Temper your expectations for aggressive metal and in turn be rewarded with the most creative rock music this band has ever written. Every single song is amazing.

Tracks that kick serious ass are littered throughout 風神界逅, the more accessible of the two albums, starting with 神風(kamikaze). A melodic heavy metal number that cements the tone of the album, this is the first introduction to the sonic angel Kuroneko; the operatic, emotive front woman who nails every note from beginning to end. Bassist Matatabi and Kuroneko duet the entire time with with an amazing amount of energy, and do a great job of engaging the listener right up to the very end. The standout point of the album is 八百比丘尼 (yaobikuni), a masterpiece that obliterates everything that comes before and after it. If you listen to nothing else from this album, listen to this.

On the other end of the spectrum, 雷神創世 feels like the spiritual successor to 魔王戴天(Maoutaiten) and an alternative take on the sound scape explored by 2011's 鬼子母神(Kishibojin). The thirteen minute epic 累(kasane) weaves a tale so epic you can feel the emotion without needing to understand the lyrics. Kuroneko's trademark sinister laughter makes an appearance once or twice too! Standout tracks of 雷神創世 include 夜歩き骨牡丹(yoaruki kawarabotan), which sounds like a new take on an early Onmyouza sound, previously released single 青天の三日月(seiten no mikaduki), and ending track 雷舞(raibu).

Both take the spot as Onmyouza's best albums to date and get better with every listen. This is impressive when the album borders on two hours of content. Every song uses the same batch of ideas, but Onmyouza synthesizes them in such a way such that they all are distinct and complement each other nicely. This speaks to the amazing execution of the concept behind this album. I have no clue what direction they will go after this and I have no idea how long it will take them to get there, but I'm ready anticipating something big. Onmyouza have made it clear that they are not done yet. Successfully pulling off a high-quality, no holds barred double concept album this is something every lover of metal, rock, operatic female vocals, or Japanese culture and music should listen to. In a year full of amazing music, these two albums sit near the top.

Sample songs:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | YesAsia | Play-Asia

Day 13 - MY FIRST STORY - 虚言NEUROSE

54UU2sX.jpg

Release Date: 2014-09-29

Label: INTACT RECORDS

Genre: Rock/Alternative

Impressions from :

The album holds a few solid tunes with hints of old school flair that die-hard fans should enjoy, "If I Am.." defines the 'classic' MY FIRST STORY sound while letting the drums take center stage, even riding the fine line of overpowering the vocals at points. The band should explore more of this sound. The simple, stripped down style suits them and shows off the side of them that people fell in love with on their self titled album. "Someday" picks up where "If I Am..." left off and returns to the band's signature style. Drums continue to be the driving force only this time they are armed with electronics and a more intricate vocal melody. The passionate feeling in the vocals steals the show and reveals that Hiroki does have an impressive vocal range. The band took some risks and it's always nice to hear an expansion of their sound. "CHiLD -error-" opens with a monster drum line and plays with some punk influences in skank beats and three chord progressions on guitar. Their experimentation pays off because they didn't over-complicate it. I braced myself for a train wreck but "CHiLD -error-" stays the coarse and ends up being one of my favorites on the album.

Read the full review here.

Impressions from @Linh-san

MY FIRST STORY has been quite a hype since the vocalist Hiro is Taka's (ONE OK ROCK) brother.

Their music is quite similar to ONE OK ROCK since it's close to each other's music style (lots of combination of Japanese & English in the lyrics).

To be honest, I think this full album ''虚言NEUROSE'' is one of the best release so far beside their self-titled mini-album ''MY FIRST STORY'' & the mini-album''THE STORY IS MY LIFE''.

Actually, many of their songs are having lots of important meanings in their lyrics, mostly about reality and life which makes their songs pretty unique.

My favorite tracks on this album are: 虚言NEUROSE, Black Rail, モノクロエフェクター, Someday.

I especially love the song ''Someday'' a lot. It's about wanting to see someone who you've lost in your life.

It's very touching and there has been put so many feelings in it, give it a listen... it's beautiful!

Also, if you don't know this band yet and you like ONE OK ROCK, I'd definitely recommend you to try this band out! Their music is amazing!

Impressions from

MY FIRST STORY might ring a few bells since their vocalist is the younger brother of popular rock band ONE OK ROCK’s own vocalist. While comparisons can’t be helped due to this fact, and since both Taka and Hiro have similar sounding voices accompanied by exciting riffs and gripping beats both bands excel at, MY FIRST STORY still certainly proves they can stand on their own without any fingers having to be pointed.

The album starts with high energy as soon as ‘monologue’ plays, a very tuneful instrumental opener to the band’s 3rd album. The single ‘虚言 NEUROSE-‘ follows up, an impressive starter to the album which highlights the band’s quick instrumental usage to create a dynamic and fast paced number, not even letting up as it goes into the following track ‘Black Rail.’ We can already hear the similarities of brothers Hiro and Taka by this point. Hiro’s ability to shout harmoniously is very reminiscent to the works of ONE OK ROCK, adding a bit of gratefully received punk style to the energetic songs.

Next tracks ‘ROOM’ and ‘Drive me’ are personal favourites of mine, both having a memorable beat and kick ass choruses. ‘ROOM’ makes effective use of English sung lyrics at moments to fit the flow and melody of the track, while ‘Drive me’ uses echoes for delivering high energy to add atmosphere. It’s a very pleasing build up to the centre point of the album, ‘If I Am…’ Now, this is the single song I’d recommend anyone reading this to listen to first if you’re still unsure of checking out the band. With a slightly quieter tune that doesn’t alter much throughout, it’s my current favourite song from these guys for its simple yet stunning structure and delivery. It’s definitely the highlight of my listening, showcasing possibly MY FIRST STORY’s best musical style.

‘ROOM’ and ‘Zero Gravity’ both have openings sure to bring the listener in, with an atmospheric thumping to begin with, welcoming in rocking guitar playing and haunting, electronic beats morphing into beats of a drum and shouts of Hiro. The inclusion of Hiro’s desperate screams and shouts makes for a particularly powerful song preparing us for more. ‘Fake’ is just as energetic with a highly enjoyable and tuneful beat. Having a punk sounding edge, it’s very catchy and gripping, with repetitive guitar thrashing and drum beating. Similar to 'Monochrome effector,' this track also follows a similar formula of repetitive sounds but heavily features electronic beats throughout. As we reach the ending ‘Someday’ is just breathtakingly beautiful. Emotionally gripping and exciting, it’s similar to the best of ONE OK ROCK’s ballad tracks. A track not to be missed!

If you’re already a fan of ONE OK ROCK and still haven’t given these guys a try, what are you waiting for? And if you’re new to both units but enjoy rock, then what are you waiting for? Lets be grateful we’ve been granted a double dose of Moriuchi family goodness to add to our collection.

Favourite tracks: Someday, If I Am…, ROOM and Drive me

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsia

Day 14 - 夜の本気ダンス  - DANCE STEP (honki dance - DANCE STEP)

Y1Uvm9M.jpg

Release Date: 2014-03-05
Label: actwise/Streetwise

Impressions from

After randomly catching a couple of Yoru no Honki Dance's music videos this year, I was eager to check out more of their music. This mini album smashed my expectations with 6 tracks of funky and energetic indie rock. With song titles like "B!TCH" and "DookieMan" how could this album possibly disappoint? There are places where I wish songs were pushed a bit harder in the funk direction, but it didn't impede their entertainment value. To it's benefit, DANCE STEP works perfectly as a short and sweet introduction to the band for new listeners. And the band does a great job of riding the line making dance-able tunes that never lose their quirky edge. 

Honki Dance does anything but take themselves too seriously. Which is a welcome change if you're over the abundance of post-genre trend chasers or formulaic pop bands masquerading as 'indie' these days.  But that is not to say that the album foregoes maturity in musical technique for youthful exuberance. These guys can play, there is no mistaking the multitude of influences they sneak into this record. The more you listen to the songs, the more depth and dynamics are there for you to uncover. Songs like the mini album's sultry closer, "愛は終わり(Ai wa owari)", really showcase this and tease how much more this band has to offer that 6 tracks couldn't possibly express. My only complaint about this release is it's not long enough!

Yoru no Honki Dance or Honki Dance for short, is one of my biggest discoveries this year by far. Their mini album 'Dance Step' is a crazy ride all the way through, all though a bit on the short side every second is filled with quite enjoyable funk infused indie rock that is so energetic and catchy that it makes you want to sing and dance along to the tunes. My favorite thing about this album is that it's able to grab your attention despite how short it is and that it all feels so fresh. I guess the best way to describe 'Dance step' is "short but sweet" and leaves a very strong impression.

Highlights: B!TCH, DookieMan, 愛は終わり

CDJapan | HMV | iTunes (Japan)

Day 15 - FACT - Witness

nruUPMn.jpg

Release Date: 2014-03-04

Label: Maximum10

Genre: Post-Hardcore

Impressions from :

Having fallen in love with the band’s second album, self-titled ‘Fact,’ their first album to be released on a major label and available worldwide, I was pleasantly surprised to see a new album from them this year. What I can safely say about Fact’s self-titled album is exactly the same for their recent album release; it’s absolutely terrific. Actually, it’s even more impressive, showcasing just how awesome these rockers are!

Being a post-hardcore band, their sound is very fierce and forceful, but the trouble with this band is that the music is never loud enough! Never does a track in one of their albums sound the same, with each having a separate and distinctive melody and still being a thrilling tune. There’s a lot of different vocal work going on too, making it a very engaging listen as each track has additional vocals, keeping you on the edge of your seat with every upcoming track. Songs are usually quickly sung or rapped in a gang/duo vocal or clean and/or screamed by Hiro on his own, making for mixed and exciting vocalisation. The instruments never slip up either, thrashing around brilliantly to create a fast paced delivery.

If you’re looking for something different and reminiscent to America’s best punk band bad asses, then look no further! For a breath of fresh air, we’re even able to shout along with Hiro since the majority of their lyrics are sung in English. I cannot recommend them more even if you’re not into the genre. They’ll definitely make you question why it took you so long to get to them!

Favourite tracks: new element, witness, miles away, veil and circling.

Impressions from :

FACT have never been happy being a standard band that play standard post-hardcore. They went from 10 years of relative obscurity in the Tokyo punk underground to watching their last 3 albums crack the Oricon top 10 and ultimately signing with music industry giant Avex. 2014 landmarked FACT's 15th year together and the band celebrated by releasing their 5th full album, WITNESS. This album marks the musical debut of the 3rd guitarist , Adam, that joined the band nearly 2 years ago. Whom people might recognize as ADSKILLZ that was featured heavily on FACT's electronic alter ego project co3 and he takes on a sizeable amount of lead vocals for WITNESS too. I met this with some resistance in the beginning, since Adam's vocals on co3 helped it to have it's own identity unique from FACT. I worried his addition full time might make FACT lose some of their signature sound. But after a couple of spins I grew to like the new blending of duel vocalists.

WITNESS digs it's teeth into mainstream alternative and weaves it into songs like "drag", "ape", and the title track, "witness". Though it does not forgot their hard and fast roots with instant staples "new element", "devil's work", "termination", and the song that had my favorite music video experience of the year, "disclosure". Though, I'd have to say the largest mark left on me from the album is the introspective and somber "circling"; An acoustic track that shows uncharacteristic maturity and restraint that adds an emotional depth lacking in the previous releases. The new elements put a fresh spin on all of the things FACT have spent their careers building on and they just keep getting better. For those that have put off checking out this band, I have to say you've been missing out.

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsiaiTunes (Japan)

Day 16 - 撃鉄 - NO UNDERGROUND (Gekitetsu - NO UNDERGROUND)

spVy5Pu.jpg

Release Date: 2014-04-23

Label: SPACE SHOWER MUSIC

Genre: Post-Punk

Every once in a while there comes a band that just captures me and pulls me in with their music. Last year it was Wakusei Abnormal this year that honor would go to Gekitetsu and their quite infectious mix of post-punk rock that keeps me coming back to their 2014 album 'NO UNDERGROUND' quite often since it dropped in April earlier this year.

Their music is best described as raw and rather sporadic in nature, but delivers a very fresh rough around the edges sound that in my opinion is not very common in the Japanese rock scene today. I have enjoyed every song on this album an endless amount of times and can say that it never loses it's spark whether it be my first or my twentieth time spinning this record, I still am hopelessly in love with these tunes.

Highlights: EVERYTHING

Impressions by @CAT5

Take one look at Gekitetsu's promo pics - whether it's the entire band half-nude, submerged in a pool with the vocalist cozily lying at the bottom in his signature leopard-print tights, or a shot of them shirtless, sloppily photoshopped to resemble minotaurs - and it should become clear how many fucks these guys give. The fact that this band was originally signed to MIDORI/ミドリ frontwoman Mariko Goto's label "Hakai Music" along with 385, only further substantiates their insanity. Gekitetsu isn't just crazy in looks or by affiliation, though - they're known to put on wildly entertaining shows and, most importantly, their music perfectly harnesses all of that punk spirit and unkempt ferocity.

"NO UNDERGROUND" is the band's first full album and expands on the sound they became known for on their first 2 EPs - vivacious post-punk chock full of singy-shouty vocals, discordant, angular guitar riffs, heady basslines, and drumming that hits you right in the dance feels. It's a raw sound that comes across as polished on record thanks to the production work from Isamu Fujita of MO'SOME TONEBENDER fame. Over the span of 13 tracks, the album clocks in at just a little over 35 minutes and is rife with energy the whole way though. Even the more subdued songs like "瞬間" and album closer "ろっぽんぎ" are still upbeat and punchy; never losing pace with the album. "NO UNDERGROUND" might be a bit too full-on for some and it may lack a good degree of overall catchiness, but for those who appreciate the more iconoclastic side of Japanese indie, it's an essential listen.

Highlights: coolなとき忘れたJapanese, やっちゃおう, ハイウェイ

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | Amazon | YesAsia

Day 17 - ミソッカス - 統一された混沌(カオス) (misokkasu - touitsu sareta chaos)

NfpqNFu.jpg

Release Date: 2014-07-02

Label: No Big Deal Records

Impressions by @Original Saku:

ミソッカス (misokkasu) formerly spelled みそっかす is a band that I've been following for a little while, with each release they have constantly jumped further and further up in my current favorites. They play this very interesting synth rock sound that reminds me of the seasons summer and fall for some reason. They don't really take themselves too seriously as you can see in the sample video, but i think they use this playful nature to their advantage and it really ends up showing in their music.

They released their 4th mini album this year entitled 'touitsu sareta chaos' and with this album they have once again delivered what I'd expect from them. At this point they have definitely earned the right to be called one of my favorite bands and I hope that more people will give them a chance since I think that they are actually rather unknown and underrated.

Highlights: マッドシュリンプス, お願いGOD, シャイニングイリュージョン

ミソッカス are certainly an underrated group. They play a goofy style of synthy indie rock, which is at times poppy/summery and other times playfully spooky. Just one look at their PVs reveals that they don't take themselves too seriously and the band uses this energy to their advantage. They've managed to make this combination work for four mini-albums. In fact, by steadily upping production values and composition prowess over time, they might have their best release on their hands with 統一された混沌(カオス). Be sure to give them a chance!

Highlights: マッドシュリンプス, お願いGOD, 幻のオ・ト・コ

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsia | iTunes (Japan)

Day 18 - jizue - Shiori

K9mUMFn.jpg

Release Date: 2014-08-06

Label: bud music, inc.

Genre: Post Rock/Jazz/Instrumental

Impressions from @Zeus:

jizue is a band that changes without changing at all, and I will never understand how they manage to keep getting better at doing the same thing. The magic they captivated me with last year in journal is still present on Shiori. They still play the most engrossing fusion of jazz and post-rock I've ever heard in the land of the rising sun, each song is still crafted with the attention to detail they're known for, and they do it all with an intuitive sense for progression and standard, predictable post-rock structures.

Or did, rather. What puts Shiori into the running as their best album to date is how seamlessly they've managed to subvert their greatest strength - their predictability - and incorporate guest vocals into their rhythmically complex and vocal-unfriendly music. The tunes don't always speed ahead like last year's standout track "rosso", instead opting to make space for artists like Ikkyu Nakajima and Shing02, who undulates over the music as if they were always part of the band. They achieve this without completely reinventing themselves, spreading out the guest features over the album wisely as "breaks" between the instrumental compositions. The way the two different types of track co-exist peacefully on Shiori gives the album some meat to sink your teeth into, and makes it heaps more complex than last year's offering.

For the second year running, jizue nails their style of jazz mixed with post-rock so well that each song from beginning to end is an engrossing love affair of guitars, drums, and piano - now with added vocals which never detract from the experience. If you're in the mood for something chill yet catchy, Shiori may just scratch that itch.

Impressions by @Original Saku:

Ah now we come to my post-rock highlight of the year. jizue a piano driven instrumental jazz infused post-rock band that has been soaring to greater heights every year since their first full length album in 2010 titled 'Bookshelf'. Since then they have released three other full lengths including this year's 'Shiori'. Somehow they manage to be gaining popularity with each album despite the fact that the formula year after year is largely unchanged. They just keep getting better and better at what they do.

'shiori' is just as pleasant as past albums and in my opinion just as good if not better. With this album they end up doing some things a little different this time around, most notably the inclusion of guest vocalists being featured in a few of their songs. The results are a great addition to their already awesome formula and I would be happy if they did this more often from now on. I recommend this album to people who maybe want to try a little something different for a change and listen to some really chill and relaxing tunes that calms you down at the end of a long day.

Highlights: Shiori, Rainy Days and Mondays, March of Monkey, Fauve

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | iTunes | Amazon

Day 19 - THE NOVEMBERS - Rhapsody in beauty

QXQkdMn.jpg

Release Date: Date

Label: MERZ

Impressions from :

Officially formed way back in 2005, THE NOVEMBERS continuously treats us to some shoegazing goodness. Being their fifth studio album, ‘Rhapsody in beauty’ shows us just how brightly these hidden indie gems can shine.

The vocals don’t really kick in until track 3, Xeno. The opening track entitled Xenakis, is an instrumental while track 2, named Sturm und Drang, features a bit of post-harcore vocalisation as a wakeup call to the listener after the first eerie and dark sounding opening. But this does exhibit the band’s ability to step into different genres, and also gives us a very diverse album. We have vocalist Kobayashi Yusuke showcasing his vocal skills in various tracks by both shouting or screaming emotionally in one song and then hitting higher and lighter notes in the next. Tracks like 07 236745981 shows possible influence from well-known British bands such as radiohead and Muse, with steady and quick guitar usage and repetitive yet smooth beats. From the mysteriously haunting tracks to the noisy yet beautifully organised, rock-tastic tunes, there are many layers to this album alone.

All in all, ‘Rhapsody in beauty’ is a solid release from the shoegaze band which perfectly expresses their key genre. To finish, I highly recommend the album title track, ‘Rhapsody in beauty,’ it being my favourite song on the album. Very catchy, very appealing and very enjoyable, it’ll keep your finger hovering over the replay button. Then again, the whole album will!

Impressions by @fitear1590

Although the best NOVEMBERS release remains 2012's GIFT for me, I do tend to prefer their softer, dreamier side. Having said that, Rhapsody in beauty is my favorite album of theirs. It's more memorable and varied than zeitgeist and more consistent than any of their pre-2011 material. I could listen to Yusuke's vocals all day long and this album is further confirmation that he is one of the freshest and most versatile voices in the Japanese indie scene right now. While not without its minor structural flaws, this is a hell of an album. Whether you'd rather float aimlessly through the clouds with "Romancé" or fuck shit up to the tune of "Blood Music.1985," THE NOVEMBERS have you covered. Anyone with even a marginal interest in Japanese indie rock/alternative/shoegaze owes it to themself to check out Rhapsody of beauty. You'll be glad you did!

Highlights: Blood Music.1985, Romancé, 僕らはなんだったんだろう

Read the full review here!

Impressions by @Zeus

Kicking off their fifth album with feedback so loud and guitar so distorted it's the auditory equivalent of the middle-finger, shoegaze band THE NOVEMBERS sure know how to start an album off right. They may have been around since 2005 but I wasn't clued into their antics until this year's release Rhapsody in Beauty, and all I can say is that I wish I knew what I was missing earlier. This album, while structurally top-heavy, oozes creativity from beginning to end. From previously mentioned monolithic opener Xenakis - which sets the mood excellently - to the turbulent follow-up Sturm und Drang, to the catchy shoegaze meets rock number Xeno, THE NOVEMBERS manages to run through a plethora of sounds in just three tracks. The meat of the album retains the experimentality of the first few tracks, but mixes them around with their shoegaze style in a much more accessible way. The rest of the sound is layered, hopping between more delicate, laid-back tunes and frantic, spastic indie rock numbers. The clear divide between the first three tracks and the rest of the album can and probably will polarize those looking for a consistent album experience. If you're in the neighborhood for a no-holds barred trip through the realm of shoegaze and indie rock, you won't do much better than Rhapsody in beauty.

Impressions by @CAT5

5 albums in and THE NOVEMBERS only seem to be getting better. They've hit a stride that has successfully catapulted them from garden-variety indie-rockers to a musical summit that easily overshadows their contemporaries. "Rhapsody in beauty" is yet another testament to the band's continued growth and further accentuates their artistic proclivities. Rocking tunes like "Blood Music.1985" and "Xeno" are louder and noisier than THE NOVEMBERS have ever been, and boast a decidedly rough approach to production (distortion levels over 9000!!!!!). Similarly, songs like "Rhapsody in beauty", "236745981" and the behemoth wall-of-noise opener "救世なき巣" soar at maximum shoegaze velocity. Quieter tracks like the revamped "tu m'(Parallel Ver, )" (a remake of the original from 2010's "Misstopia") and album closer "僕らはなんだったんだろう" aren't necessarily eventful, but they float along with an enchanting sweetness that's difficult not to embrace.

"Rhapsody in beauty" may not be as immediately approachable as last year's "zeitgeist", and it may even alienate a few fans. However, it's an expansive album that explores various facets of emotion, from one extreme to another, in a cohesive and captivating manner. It's also the mark of band that's freely expressing themselves, unshackled by industry standards or the conventions of their peers.

I wouldn't recommend "Rhapsody in beauty" as a starting point for new fans, but with this album, THE NOVEMBERS have been solidified as one of my all-time favorites.

Highlights: Blood Music.1985, dumb, Rhapsody in beauty

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | iTunes | Amazon

Day 20 - Mono - The Last Dawn / Rays of Darkness

EH1pQsR.jpg

Release Date: 2014-10-28

Label: Magniph/Pelagic Records/Temporary Residence Limited

Genre: Post-Rock

Impressions from @Ito:

In Mono’s previous two releases, For My Parents and Hymn to the Immortal Wind, their aim was more towards and orchestrated sound with plenty of strings. This is by no means a bad thing, but I felt like it was starting to dilute the sound, resulting in a mash of crescendos that just somehow felt flat and devoid of character. The Last Dawn and Rays of Darkness break that mold with most songs featuring a tradition 4 piece setup. The result is raw, powerful, and downright lovely. Add the surprise guest appearance of Tetsuya from envy on vocal during “The Hand That Holds the Truth” and I am just blown away.

Impressions from @Zeus:

Mono is not and never has been an adventurous band. They fervently adhere to all the tenets of traditional post-rock, never venturing too far outside the line in the sand they drew in 2001. They are the very definition of a band that continues to get better and better while doing the exact same thing, and for years people have argued over whether Mono needs to expand their creative palette or if they need to stay the course. Their last effort fueled the arguments of those that clamored for change, as "For My Parents" paradoxically combined everything that described Mono into five tracks and still came up short.

Never one to release an album inferior to their last, "The Last Dawn / Rays of Darkness" is what happens when a band that never changes decides to shake it up in the best way possible. They somehow managed to deliver something both types of fans could like while pushing themselves to top their last effort. Much like jizue "The Last Dawn / Rays of Darkness" sees Mono flirting with the inclusion of harsh vocals for the first time, which has to rank as one of the top five biggest surprises of the year. The instrumentals don't slouch either, and there isn't a single boring track across either album. For a listen that spans over two hours, this is a large accomplishment.

What makes Mono one of the greatest post-rock bands of all time is how well they can appeal to the listener's myriad emotions without having to utter a word, and Mono find themselves at their most vulnerable and captivating since their infamous album "Hymn to the Immortal Wind". Mono haven't changed at all, but by adding in one new element they've completely transformed the game and put themselves back on top again. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sample song:

Buy the album:

Temporary Residence LTD | iTunes | Amazon

Day 21 - HOLLOWGRAM - Qualia

9HmIDEr.jpg

Release Date: 2014-01-17

Impressions by @Zeus:

It may not be the revolutionary first release that was "devils in bedside", but QUALIA slides comfortably into fourth place on our year-end list. For a visual kei band that brings together musicians from three well-known and established bands, the hype train has not been on this band's side. Alternative rock with an influence on ballads isn't the most engaging type of music ever created, and it's also not the most popular style of music within visual kei, but it's difficult to deny that HOLLOWGRAM produced exactly what they meant to.

QUALIA has more layers than an onion. Each track is a lush, densely layered collection of sounds. There's nothing like hearing five unlikely musicians collaborate together in a way that blends their influences and styles while not exhausting all their ideas in one go. From intriguing opener "ideologue" to the in-your-face "stand the devil's like", each track distinguishes itself from the last yet complements it well. The one thing this release is not is experimental. You get seven tracks of exactly what I described above, no more and no less. I don't even feel like they've cracked the iceberg with what they're capable of. QUALIA feels like the band played it safe with their first release to test the waters, so I'm expecting some more the second time around.

It's not for everyone, but it's worth a try regardless.

HOLLOWGRAM is a new VK band with members stemming from prominent acts like 9GOATS BLACK OUT, LC5, and DIMMDIVISION. While most people probably stan this band for 9GOATS vocalist Ryo, my prime interest is in the music; Ryo's a touch too nasal for me on some tracks. Throughout Qualia, there are dynamic compositions that run through a mosaic of sounds, from cold/atmospheric to loud/in-your-face, with moments of beautiful balladry incorporated throughout. While the original release of QUALIA is the definitive one for me, the ALBUS and RUFUS "updates," with restructured tracklists and a few new songs, are also worth a listen. Looking forward to their next full release!

Highlights: ideologue, シルエット, Butterfly in her dreams, adolescent (ALBUS version)

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | Amazon

Day 22 - sukekiyo - IMMORTALIS

M6sVfDx.jpg

Release Date: 2014-05-01

Label: Firewall Div.

Genre: Visual Kei/Experimental

Impressions from @Jigsaw9:

Sukekiyo is a curious beast, as already evidenced by their lineup that contains famed DIR EN GREY vocalist Kyo and ex-members of bands such as 9GOATS BLACK OUT or RENTRER EN SOI. As expected, the result of their collaboration, IMMORTALIS, is quite eclectic. Take a spoonful of 9GBO’s tenderness, add plenty of RES’ mysticism, stir it together with Kyo’s unexpected vocal stylings and season it with a bit of folksy atmosphere as a final touch. The end product is somewhat of an exotic delicacy: some listeners are instantly hooked, others need more time to digest. I must confess I’m part of the latter group. While I initially enjoyed the colorful sounds I heard first time around, it was just all too much. Literally, too; it’s well over an hour. As time went by, however, I felt myself being drawn back to IMMORTALIS and on subsequent listens I seem to have developed a taste for this kooky slab of atmospheric art-rock. It’s a trip, and the farther you go and the more you repeat your journey, there will always be new sights to discover. I encourage those with an open mind for the weird and the unusual to give sukekiyo’s full-length a try – if they haven’t already.

Impressions from @Peace Heavy mk II:

After seeing the lineup and general aesthetic of Sukekiyo, my knee-jerk expectation for Immortalis was for it to be moody and pretentious. With 16 tracks timing in at over an hour long, this perilous journey into another dimension pouring out of every orifice in Kyo’s imagination is exactly that: moody and pretentious. However, it all comes together so well that it isn’t even a problem—each track stands out as it’s own entity and drags the listener along a bizarre expedition unlike anything released in the visual world this year. Jumping all over the genre spectrum, Sukekiyo brings a product that clearly reflects the personalities of all of its members and (thankfully) is not just one big Kyo-fest. As a powerhouse group in the visual realm, Immortalis gives this band the bragging rights their hype foreshadowed and solidified their place as the forefront of post-visual kei. Unlike other past super groups (S.k.i.n., D-N-A, Karasu, etc), Sukekiyo does not appear to be a one-off project and is expected to drop their next mini-album early next year.

Highlights: Zephyr, 斑人間, Mama, the daemon's cutlery

Impressions from :

Talk about a monster album. But would you expect from a "supergroup" put together by Kyo of Dir en grey with members of Rentrer en soi, 9Goats Black Out, and Kannivalism?  It's already an all star cast creating a massive 16 track album filled to the brim with musical gems. Then they took those songs and had them remixed with a plethora of other scene giants from LUNA SEA to GLAY that really take this album to surreal heights. 

IMMORTALIS runs the gamut of pace and style, but the strongest songs are the soft and atmospheric epics "destrudo", "aftermath" and "hemimetabolism". Though, my personal favorite is the mid-tempo hook-heavy "mama". It's the type of song we haven't heard the likes of since "The Final" for those who have been missing something just a little less complicated. The second disc could have been a stand alone release with some really amazing revamps and fresh takes on the songs, some of which become nearly unrecognizable from the originals. It also seems to follow a theme of double album releases this year, not that I am complaining. IMMORTALIS was everything a Kyo fan could have wanted, and a second disc. A definite must-have of 2014.

Impressions from @Zeus:

For a band that you either love or hate, sukekiyo leaves me somewhere in the middle.

A new band releasing a full album of material as their first release is always an intriguing move, but IMMORTALIS would have worked better if it were separated into an album and a mini. For as much as I liked any given track when I listened to it out of context, I never finished this album in one sit. I liken it to KAMIJO combining Symphony of the Vampire and Heart into one album called Symphony of the Heart - it would be an amazing album, but far too long for a casual listen.

Despite it's flaws, IMMORTALIS ranks as one of the best albums released this year because of the divisiveness it's caused amongst fans. It dares to raise questions about what one likes and dislikes from music, and there seems to be no consensus on how to approach it. IMMORTALIS is a mix of the ethereal, the disturbing, and the deeply spiritual and when it was first released, there wasn't anything quite like it. Dir en grey's ARCHE alludes to a similar atmosphere - for obvious reasons - but it's still a sound that was birthed with and will be associated with sukekiyo for years to come.

When a new band enters the game and changes everything, I have to take notice. I'd love to see this band come together and channel their sound into a more digestible package. Upcoming mini-album 'vitium' is shaping up to be an intriguing release. If they can keep the same level of quality they displayed on IMMORTALIS while keeping the running time at a manageable length, in time we could be looking a true powerhouse of a band.

Sample song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnH29YO_h5w

Buy the album:

CDJapan | Amazon | iTunes

Day 23 - KAMIJO - Heart

yBEAFFz.jpg

Label: Label

Genre: Visual Kei/Neo Classical

Impressions from @Linh-san:

KAMIJO, vocalist of Versailles started his own solo project last year in 2013 after Versailles went on hiatus.

This year, 2014, he released several releases. After his first (mini-)album release ''SYMPHONY OF THE VAMPIRE'', KAMIJO came back with even a stronger album release ''HEART’’.

The album starts off with a really nice intro, ''Vive le Roi’’ and then the transition from that song to the next one is just perfect. I can still feel a part of Versailles in this album mixed with some creativity from KAMIJO himself.

My favorite tracks of this album are probably: サンクチュアリ, 片手に夢を持つ少女 & 追憶のモナムール.

His vocals are still really great, he's still the vampire prince we used to know. :)

Also the re-recorded version of Louis 〜艶血のラヴィアンローズ〜 (Symphonic Metal Version) is pretty good as well, it's heavier than the original.

Impressions from @Peace Heavy mk II

Kamijo has been very productive this year—from his first major release back in March, two follow-up singles, and now this monster of album, La Reine de Style Visuel made his rose-colored mark. After Versailles splintered, the fan base was interested to see what aspects each of the main three composers really brought to the table, as album credits only take stylistic influences so far, and this album drew a distinct line in the sand: Kamijo is the source of all things bombastic, flowery, and mastermind behind the orchestrations Versailles used. Heart brings us all of these things, as well as some variety from Kamijo that we have not seen since his Lareine days. From classically influenced songs like “Rose Croix” and “Death Parade”, to the jazzy “Moulin Rouge”, the melodic “Romantique” and “抱きしめられながら”, and the album’s self-titled epic, “Heart”, this album shows the breadth of Kamijo’s compositional style and that the Francophile motif can be applied to more genres than just symphonic power metal. As there is a distinct stylistic difference here from his earlier mini-album, Symphony of the Vampire, one could assume that his next work will evolve into something new—and I’m all for it.

Highlights: 闇夜のライオン , Heart, 追憶のモナムール, Death Parade

Impressions from :

The grand opening, ‘Vive le Roi’ starts up the album and it's full speed ahead! Already, we can tell who the mastermind of Versailles’ orchestral and angelic choir inclusions came from. Each track doesn’t fail in standing out by itself, being a very memorable and very powerful metal or ballad/classical selection. All what he’s best at, right?  'Louis 〜艶血のラヴィアンローズ〜' never fails to impress me. Kamijo’s vocals are on point throughout, and the beautiful, classical instruments with his voice makes not just this track, but the whole album, one of the best releases of not just this year, but anything Kamijo related. Kamijo doesn’t stick to the typical music style of classical, or the inducing masquerade imagery we’re expecting either. 'Death Parade' takes on a more playful nature, but obviously still being as seductive as the rest of the album thanks to our talented singing vampire. This brings me to the very enjoyable 'Moulin Rouge,' a jazzy number, again adding another very pleasing and different sound to the album. Being easily entrapped by any slow melody of his, it’s hard to not enjoy the slowest of tracks on the album such as 'Romantique,' which is absolutely stunning.

If you’re a fan of Kamijo or any other involved projects and still haven’t listened to Heart, get a move on! If you’re new to Kamijo and you’re still not convinced to give this album a listen, it’s your loss! It’s typical Kamijo, but at his finest. Refreshing and bursting with great tunes, our favourite vampire is still going strong.

Favourites: Louis ~艶血のラヴィアンローズ, Romantique, 抱きしめられながら,  片手に夢を持つ少女

Impressions from @Jigsaw9:

I was looking forward to ex-Versailles frontman KAMIJO’s debut album with high expectations. Thankfully, the master didn’t disappoint one bit! Whether it’s overly cheesy romantic fluff or epic symphonic rock, KAMIJO delivers with full force on this record. That’s one of Heart’s strongest points: diversity. The album has such a nice array of styles that fit snugly into the overall soundscape that you won’t ever be bored while listening to it, even though it does feel a teensy bit too long at times. Hints of former bands like LAREINE or Versailles creep into the mix as well, making this somewhat of a definitive KAMIJO essence. If you like his cheesy and over-the-top epic ways, you’re guaranteed to enjoy this one!

Sample song:

Buy the album:

CDJapan | YesAsia | iTunes

Day 24 - Boris - Noise

J1Hgwua.jpg

Release Date: 2014-06-18

Label: Tearbridge Records/Sargent House/Daymare Recordings

Genre: Drone/Metal/Post-Rock

Impressions by @Ito:

“Noise” is probably the closest we will ever get to a culmination of all of Boris’s different style. For a band that has managed to spread themselves across such a wide gamut of genres, that seems like it might be a recipe for disaster. Thankfully, “Noise” is the exact opposite of that. This is an album made by a mature group of rockers than still know how to go crazy and stay raw and it is one hell of a ride.

Calling this album a masterpiece feels disingenuous, it has plenty of flaws. Atsuo’s vocals are hardly perfect and the mastering leaves something to be desired. But I’ll be damned if all of those flaws don’t just feel -right-. The mix of light and quiet section against heavy walls of distorted guitar makes for great juxtaposition and creates for an incredibly dynamic album.

I think “Noise” may just be my Japanese AOTY.

Impressions from @Zeus:

Boris has proven time and time again that a three member band can jam with the best of them. Experimenting successfully while pioneering one of the densest sounds known to man, their bucket list includes drone, doom, hardcore, electronic pop, shoegaze, stoner rock, and ambient. I'm not even counting any early demos, influences, or collaborations (of which they have plenty)! So for as prolific and experimental as Boris is, it seemed that they were losing steam with their releases in 2012 and 2013. The music was great, but there was only glimmers of the magic that birthed releases such as "Akuma no Uta" and "Heavy Rocks". That is why NOISE is such a surprise; after 22 years, we finally get the definitive Boris experience on one disc.

In nine tracks we run the gamut on everything from grandiose post-rock numbers like Angel to more straightforward, aggressive tracks like Quicksilver to the slow, thunderous, plodding Heavy Rain and Vanilla. There's some fuzzed out sludge reminiscent of early Boris like "Heavy Rain" and parts of "Vanilla" and "Quicksilver", more haunting tones like "Ghost of Romance", pop tracks like "Taiyo no Baka" and opener "Melody" which features a nice amount of synth and is a spin on the style explored with New Album, and even a post-rock epic in "Angel", which is the eighteen minute epic tucked near the end of the album. In all honesty, it's difficult to explain how good NOISE is without detailing each track and how they all work together despite being so different. Take this as a testament to Boris' skill.

NOISE is an album twenty two years in the making, bring together everything that makes Boris Boris in nine wildly different tracks. There's something here for everyone to love, and there's probably something in here you might not be fond of. But what Boris is best at doing is making statements through music, and challenging both themselves and their listeners by stretching their sound as far as it can go. If not for the fact that it's one of their best releases to date, check out NOISE for it's massive riffs and successful experimentation. Any metalhead would surely approve.

Impressions from :

What’s so brilliant about this album is that it includes so many different styles and genres in one tiny package; an album having only 8 tracks, but the longest track being over 18 minutes! Even after so many releases, the band offers new and improved approaches to their preferred musical style of the punk genre, which NOISE doesn’t fail to show, not even if it’s their nineteenth album. This is an important factor to note since anyone really can easily dive headfirst into this album even if it’s their first listen of the band. This is because of the versatile and experimental approach they took, widening their musical feats. There's something for everyone to enjoy. There’s the expected rock elements, a healthy slice of hardcore and sparkling shoegaze to name only a few most noticeable ones.

The opening, '黒猫メロディ,' welcomes the listener in for a wild ride. It’s a smooth and easy listening track, yet upbeat and rather energetic. Random instruments are used such as the aggressive play of guitars, playful hits of a drum and the quick taps of the piano, until the chorus hits where we hear all these sounds mixed beautifully into a juicy piece of head banging mess. And this is just the opening track!

All tracks utilise the rock genre BORIS favours so highly, while also gradually changing into more psychedelic melodies as the album progresses. The tracks 'あの人たち' and '雨' makes effective usage of the shoegaze genre, both being my favourite tracks. They’re atmospheric, dramatic and haunting, slowing down the pace of the album in preparation for the quicker and lengthy album pieces. The cheesy jazz influenced '太陽のバカ' leads into the album track masterpiece that is 'Angel' (the grand 18 minute track!). Don’t let how many minutes it is fool you. You’re missing out on a journey if you do. The slow build-up makes this a dramatic, memorable piece of the band’s musical capabilities. Another favourite, 'Quicksilver,' is exactly what you think when you read the track title. It’s extremely fast paced yet melodious at the same time, making it a very enjoyable and unforgettable piece of the album. And finally, 'シエスタ' is a calm, instrumental track which waves us a mournful goodbye.

As a whole, the album just keeps on giving, never slowing down and turning many corners when it comes to musical direction. And yet, it’s never disappointing, only giving more and more. You just can’t go wrong with BORIS.

Highlights: 雨, 太陽のバカ, Angel and Quicksilver.

Sample song:

Buy the album:

Bandcamp | itunes | Hello Merch