Sign in to follow this  
doombox

#30: SECRET by DIV

MH Questionnaire of the Week  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about lots of singles on an album?

• Singles are for promotion aren't they? Unless the B-side is better I don't care.
    • Arrange them well and I won't mind but I will notice.
    • I don't care either way as long as the album is good.
    • A couple are fine but having more than a third of the album as singles is no good.
    • Give me all new material always!

SECRET
Artist: DIV
Album: SECRET
Score: :_6/10_:
It's not a secret if everyone knows the good part!

I've been a strong supporter of DIV from their debut, as I was a fan of xTRiPx before that and wanted to see the departed members do well in their new project. The three year old band has made impressive strides debuting with Danger Crew Records, and releasing fairly strong singles every step of the way. DIV have a reputation for consistency, if anything.

SECRET has an overall darker mood that contrasts the previous album, ZERO ONE. The songs on ZERO ONE had an underlying bright feeling, maintaining a palpable optimism throughout them. Keeping true to its namesake, SECRET comes off restrained with an air of mystery. I don't find the turn to more metal derivative riffs and increase of harsh vocals do a good job of showcasing the band's strengths this time around, however. Chisa's monotone growls have always felt weak to me, especially within a scene that is increasingly incorporating influences from heavier genres. The instrumentation for the aggressive parts of SECRET's songs also feel a bit one dimensional and lackluster compared to the likes of "ASTERIOS" and "Teddy" from the previous album, which in and of itself is a major letdown.

Though I can't deny the album has a strong start with the stunning "アイノウタ" (Ai no Uta) and the new classic "SECRET NIGHT", which is right up there with DIV's fun and atmospheric early work, it's not enough. Another problem with this release is that DIV relied far too much on previously released singles to carry the album. It's hard to get excited about an album full of songs you've already heard, doubly so when they're the best on the entire release! Spanning the gamut from fist-pumping head-bangers to sparkling ballads, songs "BUTTERFLY DREAMER", "JUSTICE", "漂流彼女" (Hyouryuu Kanojo), and "TASTE OF LIFE" remain as memorable and beautiful as when they were first released. Regardless of being new or old, all are indicative of the sound that DIV has made their staple, and what they still do better than most other visual bands at the moment.

So it's no SECRET by this point that it's the new, filler tracks which drag this album down. I had to listen four or five times to actually form an opinion on the three songs sandwiched between "TASTE OF LIFE" and "Point of view". They weren't bad, but they weren't memorable either, which is saying something when DIV have proven to be outstanding at emotional delivery up to this point. And not just Chisa's smooth, velvety vocal work, but also the layering of strings and piano all over their songs add an extra layer of harmony and atmosphere to solid drum lines and melody driven guitar work that pull at the heartstrings. "WING to HEAVEN", "「Dearest」" and "STARS" are painstakingly safe at a point where the album really needed a kick in the rear to keep the listener awake. Ironically, every b-side from every single was more interesting than this string of songs and would have been better placed here, and vice versa.

By the end, I'm almost disappointed. Almost. The album has no songs that are painful to listen to, or drag on for too long in one way or another. But there are many new songs that don't make much of an impact. DIV have hit the infamous 'sophomore slump' and are verging on same-y territory with SECRET. It's not an uncommon place for a band their age to be, but such a strong showing on the last album left me with higher expectations. And I certainly thought there'd be more new material. If half of the singles made their debut on this album I would have ranked it much higher, but it's a real shame so much of this album felt so familiar in the end.

I really liked this album but I don't think any of their releases I'll favor more so then their first album. I didn't actually find myself daydreaming which I usually do when listening to releases these days so I can't call this album same-y sounding. I can see why you and many would say that though. The tracks are pretty straightforward and have the same structure. Still, a highly enjoyable and worthwhile listen, even if I will return for only one or two tracks. 

P.S - Fab review hon and I love that top comment sum up.

This is the very first DIV album I've tried, and while i'm not sure how it stacks up to their previous LP, I can't say that I remember hearing anything necessarily dark here. But other than that, I do agree with you about the album being pretty same-y

As stated above, with recycled material outnumbering the original material, it is hard to guess this was a secret at all.

It is unfortunate, because when the singles came out on their own, I typically enjoyed them on repeat, especially ゴールデンキネマ劇場 [Golden Kinema Gekijou], Butterfly Dreamer, and Justice.  However, when listening to the album, the tracks were already familiar, and as a result, I got bored easily.

Of the original tracks, I personally enjoyed Stars the most.  It is the mid-tempo upbeat rock number that DiV is good at making, but is nothing fresh or new.  Story sounded just like a K-Pop acoustic ballad to me, but I dig the acoustic flourishes on the track nonetheless.  Rage is the "we need a heavy riff" song, and is decent - but is not executed as well as what SuG did on their latest album Black, which does well at pairing heavy with upbeat vibes.

The band is consistent in their sound, but I think they need to reinvent soon.  Hopefully they will slow their release cycle, focus on crafting a new fresh sound with their next release that doesn't repeat 75% pre-released material.

I'd have to agree with your review on this album. I was really in to DIV as they seem to be one of the more unique bands within the VK scene. Just from the preview for the MV spot I was already having odd vibes about this release. Once I listened through it, it almost didn't feel like DIV. The songs aren't bad, but they're not memorable. They usually had pretty catchy phrases in their music but this whole album was just sort of ah seen it. But as Ender said, it's not uncommon for a band of their age to be in this predicament and they may even grow from it and release something better next time. 

The band does seem to be consistent with their sound, but I'd say they need a refresher.

I was actually surprised they were to release another album so soon... maybe I just lost track of time but I feel like ZERO ONE just came out yesterday. HA. 

Sign in to follow this