Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

#31: マーブル (marble) by ユナイト (UNiTE.)

Poll: MH Questionnaire of the Week  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of our new review layout?

• YASSS, love it!
    • I can dig it.
    • Needs some work (let us know in the comments)
    • Not my cup o' tea.

alt_title
Artist: ユナイト (UNiTE.)
Single: マーブル (marble)
1. マーブル (marble)
2. ステアーズ ステアーズ(stairs stairs) [Type S limited edition]
2. 汚染 (osen) [regular edition]
3. WONDER f∞l PEOPLE [regular edition]

Rating: :_8/10_: | Another solid single to whet your appetite before the summer album

マーブル (marble) is the 7th single from your favorite VK experimenters in excessive, flowing fabric, UNiTE. Sana, the band’s fresh meat drummer, makes his compositional debut, penning both the title track and one of the b-sides. This is all just in time for the band’s 4th anniversary on March 29th!

So, how does Sana stack up? Well, he definitely sounds like he belongs! In fact, I wouldn't have a hard time believing that guitarist Shiina Mio had actually written “marble.” If there’s one difference, it’s that Sana blends the heaviness and signature twinkly pop-rock more seamlessly than Mio tends to do (who often deliberately writes songs in a softer or heavier style). Yui's vocals are as agile as ever, effortlessly gliding through gentle verses and powerful choruses. Meanwhile, chirpy guitar chords in the beginning of the verse later morph into the layered guitar wankery we’ve come to love from Mio and LiN. The background arrangements alternate between a balanced mix of piano, airy synths, and a distorted “wub-wub” here and there. All in all, a pretty damn good first effort!

alt_title

“ステアーズ ステアーズ(stairs stairs)” is the second track from Sana. From the laid-back beachy sound, I initially thought it was by guitarist LiN, channeling his former band, LeMpicka?. The beat makes it like a toned down version of “アンテリナム(antirrhinum)” from their third album. The song has an enjoyable melody and a nice little guitar solo. Yui maintains his sweet vocals for the majority of the track, but occasionally hits some funky notes – another usual trademark of LiN compositions. While this is a pleasant little ditty, Sana doesn’t touch on much that LiN hasn’t done before.

Next up, we have Mio’s “汚染 (osen).” For a title meaning “contamination,” it might seem strange that the song begins with a music box lullaby. This soothing tune quickly disintegrates into atonal disarray, making way for some sinister chiptune bloops. A short dose of chuggy, albeit generic riffs, get a lot more creative around the :43 mark, before leading into the first verse. The best thing about this track is that melody was not sacrificed in the heaviness. Yui delivers an impressive, heartfelt performance, particularly in the final, extended chorus. The riffs throughout sound full-bodied, so it all makes for a satisfying listen. My main complaint is that the drums during the bridge sound a bit weak. While I don’t think this song reaches the top-tier likes of "失望エミュレイター (shitsubou emulator)” or “退廃レトリック (taihai rhetoric)," it’s one of their better “heavy” songs.

“WONDER f∞l PEOPLE” opens with a pumping, in-your-face beat, as Yui talk-raps his way through some bizarre Engrish (“POWER K LOOKS”) and does a roll call of the band members. I was preparing myself for a Kameleo-esque song where they all sing along. Thirty seconds in, the chorus sneaks up on you and it’s clean, poppy, and ecstatic. The whimsical synths give it a shibuya-kei flair. LiN’s lyrics continue to graces us with phrases like “YA SMELL ME? LACK OF ABILITY!” After the second chorus, the song pumps the brakes and gives a short taste of bossa nova relaxation, before quickly returning to the song’s almost gratingly hyper form. Like LiN’s other goofball tracks (“Cocky-discuS”), this might take 2 or 3 listens, before the humorous style sinks in. Nonetheless, I seem to be in the minority of MH’s UNiTE.-posse, because this is my least favorite on the single. It needed at least one more element (some kind of bridge or outro, for instance) to be more balanced. As it stands, it’s the single’s shortest track, but also the most repetitive.

Sana's joining the band last year has somehow ushered in higher production values (look at that shiny PV!) and generally more mature songwriting; while I still think the band sometimes plays it too safe in their “heavier” compositions (I’m looking at you “marble” and “osen” breakdowns), there is always enough variety on their releases to keep you interested. None of the four songs here sound remotely alike! I look forward to hearing Sana’s songwriting develop into his own, discernible style. Lucky for us, their 4th album UNiVERSE comes out this summer, so we don’t have long to wait for him to show us what else he’s got!

What did you think of the single?

Support the band!
Type S Limited Edition CD+DVD
Limited Edition CD (1 track)
Regular Edition CD

They have really been bringing it lately.

I always loved their multi-colored approach, and this single really highlights that with their ability to make very different songs that fit together very nicely and can contrast and compliment each other at the same time.

As usual, all of the tracks are growers on me, and with each listen I came to appreciate them more. The instant show-stealer for me was Wonder, which is the track that I found pushes itself to the front of the crowd. Then I grew to have Osen as my second favorite, and the track which I found the most powerful, as you say, the emotion-filled vocals at the end are what made me grow fond of it.

I have always enjoyed how they can mix heavy and light elements on tracks, with strong chords against light vocals, without creating a distance between them. I also enjoy the higher pitched chords they use in the song in another part of their distinct guitar style. I really started to notice how they stepped up to an even higher level with the guitar harmony. I also think the vocals are getting even better, in the way that they are consistently delivered in an amazing, communicative way. The bass really shines as well, and the new drummer fits in such a way that you couldn`t even guess that he hasn`t been around since the beginning. The instrumental tracks always help me find more to love about the playing and composition itself.

Anyway, I always found them amazing, and this is the moment that made me see how they improved on something that I couldn`t really have even asked more of in the first place. They are releasing amazing music (IMO), and getting even more popular, so I hope that we can see them eventually take a place among one of the top band`s in Japan. I have always had them as a pick to be one of the band`s that could one day be compared to SID, though they are very different, they have a bunch of areas in which similarities could be made,  including the amazing musicianship, a wide range of distinct approaches to song-writing (including the incorporation of many different `genre`s`), and consistent accessible, yet uncompromising releases.

Oh yeah, also the lyrics are great, as usual, different members who compose and write vastly different things, yet manage to fit them all together.

probably one of their best releases in my opinion. 3 songs 5/5 for me,
except I never took interest in WONDER f∞l PEOPLE.

All three songs, especially 汚染 are VERY creative!
It mixes heavy music inside and it's amazing, I was SO IMPRESSED

Thanks for sharing your comments, guys! It's cool that we all appreciated different songs/aspects on the single.

I hope we get a little more Yui-composed material on the new album. We haven't heard his stuff in a while!

PS: For the people in the poll (or anyone) who aren't totally feeling the new layout, let us know! Maybe it's something we can incorporate. But we can't improve if we don't get any real feedback.

I have to say I really loved this single. I can't pick a favorite song but I love them all. This is why I think they're the best band around currently. :)

I just listened to UNiTE and I pick marble as my starter, well yeah, nice catchy songs! I love Marble and Wonder fel People XD

I just listened to UNiTE and I pick marble as my starter, well yeah, nice catchy songs! I love Marble and Wonder fel People XD

Thanks for listening and commenting on my review! I'm glad to see another UNiTE fan here!

Be sure to check out their album UNiVERSE next month. I'm hoping it'll be another good release.

Sign in to follow this