CAT5

Recommended Tracks: March 2015

Mh's Best New Tracks: March  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Best New Tracks series?

• I love it! It's a great way to keep up with new music and I always discover something new!
    • I try to check it out. It's interesting to see what gets posted here.
    • It's ok. I wish there was more music that I enjoy mentioned here.
    • Doesn't interest me at all.

Best New Tracks: March 2015

Best New Tracks is a new series brought to you by MH's Official Reviewers (ORZ)! Every month we'll be recommending brand-new Japanese songs from the recently passed month, so stay tuned! Feel free to comment or discuss any of this month's picks and even offer your own as well!

@fitear1590's picks:

"The Crow" by a crowd of rebellion

albumartist

My ORZ colleague ender-ender got me into this band with her EOTY list and I'm so glad! If you like a little extra flair in your post-hardcore, then this is the band for you! I'm a huge fan of the high pitched clean vocals, but I know he might irk some people! If nothing else, you should appreciate the band musically. While completely different styles, I think this band is similar in approach to the pop-rock band Scenarioart: dynamic compositions that are unpredictable, yet catchy.

"Eternal Dream" by CROSS VEIN

albumartist

CROSS VEIN is a band I stumbled upon last year, thanks to their Maid of Lorraine single. As their first major-label album, they pack a bit more punch than their previous budget metal. If Jupiter isn't fulfilling your VK power metal needs, then give CROSS VEIN a try! Their music is on-point, if you enjoy the whole epic, aristocratic vibe. Julia's vocals, while in the squeaky J-POP register, are delivered with a certain "huskiness" that I find works really well with the band's sound.

"Daze" by Cuushe

albumartist

Strangely enough, this song popped up on my YouTube feed, because I subscribe to the Western label that's putting out Cuushe's upcoming release. I instantly fell in love with it! Maybe it's just that time in the semester, but this song helps me to chill out. I can see it working very well as video game BGM, with its hypnotic, ethereal quality. I think the cover art nicely sums up the mood evoked by the song: cute, dreamy, and a little bit fantasy!

"scenes (Live, featuring NAOKI & RUPPA)" by ユナイト (UNiTE.)

albumartist

Indeed, this release isn't from March, but my DVD just arrived this month, so there! While "scenes" was already one of my favorite tracks from the band's third album—and a bonus track at that!—this live revamping is just fantastic! Live keyboard and sax from guest musicians NAOKI and RUPPA give the song some extra kick. Everyone else gives their best, but Sana's drumming is especially notable. Being that this is his debut show with the band, I think he helped deliver an awesome first impression!

"一騎討ち (ikkiuchi)" by 女王蜂 (ziyoou-vachi)

albumartist

Ziyoou-vachi's latest album, their first since 2012, is much quieter than what we're used to from the band. Rather than their usual noisy punk, there are tracks like "ikkiuchi" which capitalize on a mysterious keyboard sound infused with the band's typical 60s flair. Added to the mix is a Japanese folk touch in some of the chord progressions. While I still like my Ziyoou-vachi LOUD, this is a very cool experiment in their lighter, non-ballad side. Also, much preferred to the album's semi-grating single "Venus".

@CAT5's picks:

"はちみつ (hachimitsu)" by CHARA

albumartist

"Secret Garden", the 18th album of eccentric jpop icon CHARA, is a regular who's who of production work. Guest musicians include electronic wizard agraph, indie-darlings THE NOVEMBERS, members from syrup16g, toe and more. However, one of the most stand-out tracks, "hachimitsu (はちみつ)" was produced by smooth-operator mabanua of the jazz/hip-hop band Ovall. It's a jubilent r&b track tailored for jpop appeal, and CHARA's vocals aptly straddle the line between seductive, sexy and insufferably cute.

"一番星 (ichiban boshi)" by DAOKO

albumartist

"Kawaii" hip-hop princess DAOKO has finally gone major, and her sound has had a major overhaul as well. Backed by producers Akito Katayose (GREAT3, Chocolat & Akito) and tofubeats, her sound has been propelled from sparse, experimental boom-bap to lush, electronic arrangements midly remiscent of Jpop-weirdo Yakushimaru Etsuko. The lack of actual rapping and the sparkly new production might dismay fans her old material, but songs like "一番星 (ichiban boshi)" is sure to please fans of colorful jpop with super-slick production and a bit of groove to it.

"ブラインド (blind)" by ハイスイノナサ (haisuinonasa)

albumartist

Having released only 2 singles within the past 3 years, haisuinonasa are not a band to rush their music. Instead, they take their time - noticeably experimenting and pushing their sound further with each successive release. "ブラインド (blind)" from their new single fittingly titled "変身 (henshin), meaning transformation or metamorphosis, marks a new direction in the band's sound. Vocalist Ai Kamano sings in a lower register than usual, and the music is more straightforward and direct, but without sacrificing the band's whimsical nature or ingenuity. It's an engaging and beautiful track whose splendor brings to mind the musical imaginativeness of even Yoko Kanno.

"waiting for you" by シベールの日曜日 (Sundays & Cybele)

albumartist

Psychedelic rock is perhaps one of Japan's least prominent music exports, at least in modern times. There are plenty of Japanese bands playing psyche-influenced material, but very few contemporary acts play it as faithfully as Sundays & Cybele. Their new album "Gypsy House" doesn't offer anything particularly new for the sound, but it should be real treat for afficianados of the genre. "waiting for you" is a slow-grooving tune with, melty, hallucinatory riffs that are easy to get lost in. A definite highlight of the album!

"WINDLESS DAY" by シャムキャッツ (siamese cats)

albumartist

siamese cats originally started off sounding like a poor man's OGRE YOU ASSHOLE, but they've refined their sound over the years and become a force of their own. Their new EP "Take Care" solidifies them as one of the chillest indie-rock bands around - alongside bands like CARD and mitsume. "WINDLESS DAY" perfectly encapsulates the band's sound with its showcase of smooth vocals, groovy basslines, and beachy, lethartic riffs. A definite must if you're a fan of Sunday afternoon indie-rock.

"宙を撃て (chu wo ute)" by ヤマジカズヒデ (Yamaji Kazuhide)

albumartist

Yamaji Kazuhide, vocalist and guitarist of the legendary alt-rock band dip (who has influenced the likes of THE NOVEMBERS, ART-SCHOOL, and The Birthday) just released his fourth solo album titled "over sleeper". The album itself covers most of the musical ground that dip does, but there's much more variation here, as Yamaji's full ego is on display. "宙を撃て (chu wo ute)" is one track that stands apart from dip, yet is comprised of many of the same elements - Yamaji's trademark monotone vocals, and the subtle pyschedelic and shoegaze influences at work. Despite the relative simplicity of Yamaji's delivery and the music itself, this track is brimming with a sense of desperation and the build-up is too compelling to ignore!

's picks:

"The Way Down" by FACT

albumartist

This band's previous album was one of my favorites of 2014, and it looks like 2015 will be following suit. "The Way Down" is the second promotional offering from their new album KTHEAT, and is one of the most in-your-face tracks the band has released to date - pushing them further from their electronic infused post-hardcore roots. Much of the synth has been totally stripped away, save for the turbo charged breakdown that sends the song into the stratosphere. The beefy guitar tones and gang vocals are bound to get your body moving and keep you singing along to this addictive glimpse into the future of FACT's musical journey. 

"Just Give Me The Rock 'N' Roll Music" by WHITE ASH

albumartist

THE DARK BLACK GROOVE might be one of the most aptly named albums I've heard in a long time. WHITE ASH have this inexplicable ability to take something that should be done to death, put their spin on it, and make it fresh. In this case, it would be their vintage inspired blues rock. The vocalist's unique tone is a stand out for being in a higher register but not nasal at all. If you want a ride down memory lane with a modern twist, this is your band and your song. If the hook isn't anthemic enough for any rock music enthusiast, then I don't know what is.

"煙たい" (Kemutai) by 片平里菜 (Rina Katahira)

albumartist

Rina is a young singer-songwriter who just released her first album last year, and I think she shows a lot of potential. Her voice has great dynamic and flows effortlessly from soft and sweet to powerful, clear ringing notes. Both tracks on her dual single 誰もが / 煙たい (daremo ga / kemutai) are guitar driven pop tracks, but the ballad style in "煙たい" really grabbed my attention. Maybe because sometimes, you just need a good ballad. And this song is the perfect mix of mellow melody and gentle vocals to take the rest of the world down a notch.

"カオスリロン" (CHAOS RIRON) by Plastic Tree

albumartist

I personally love it when Plastic Tree go a little crazy. There's something special that happens when the rest of the band plays to a level where they fully compete with the vocals. And Ryutaro's vocals are plenty strong enough to handle it. The blend works perfectly in this track. Akira composed this song and it shows; the intricate, playful guitar work is the forefront of the song and responsible for the just as much of the main melody as the vocals, if not more. This is one of my favorite Plastic Tree songs in a long time. As beautiful as the lead track from the single is, I think this song is the real star.

"A Malice of Rider" by a crowd of rebellion

albumartist

I was ridiculously torn between recommending this song or the single's title track, "The Crow". But ultimately I found this song a bit more interesting with clips of classical choir action going on randomly in the verses. a crowd of rebellion have a very specific blend of genres and it's hard to label them as one thing or the other, but if one had to I'd say, they are post-hardcore - on drugs. As this single is their major label debut, I expected the band to water down their sound, but they didn't. That makes this release on par with the rest of their immaculate discography. If you liked their last album, or even if you've never heard of them, you should give this song a spin.

"INAZUMA" by ALSDEAD

albumartist

I always had high hopes for ALSDEAD releases in the past, but they never quite seem to get their sound to gel. Or when it does, they run into balance issues with their production. But "INAZUMA" gets it so right, taking all the best parts of their previous work and finally putting it all together cohesively. Most improved is the vocalist who has finally gained control over some of the weaker parts of his register, and it sounds awesome. This track rip-roars along at a break-neck pace with loads of glorious metal guitar shred and doesn't sacrifice any melody while it's at it. This song attacks all 4 minutes and I could easily listen to another 4 without getting bored.

"曼陀羅" (Mandara) by OZROSAURUS

albumartist

After being a hip hop unit for the better part of 20 years, OZROSAURUS has decided to spice things up and venture into the world of rapcore this year. It was a huge surprise to learn they have enlisted the help of members from nu metal veterans 山嵐 (YamaArashi), hardcore heavy hitters CRYSTAL LAKE, and their more melodic brothers in arms, TOTALFAT. OZROSAURUS currently functions as a juggernaut 6 member formal band. "曼陀羅" is a positively massive track that hits all the right marks, with MACCHO's gritty vocal delivery against an onslaught of guitar distortion over live drums and sequenced bass hits. The combination caters well to head nodders and moshers alike. If we don't get a complete album full of this great new sound I will be severely disappointed!

"Broken faith" by waterweed

albumartist

Any of the songs on waterweed's latest EP, ASHES, are made for worthy recommendations, but this song was the most memorable for me. The band creates beautiful, melodic hardcore that knows how to touch the heart and make your adrenaline race at the same time. The traditional 'barked', sometimes even off key, vocals contrast with the predominantly clean guitar work. It takes this song a step further than archetypal, distortion-clad tunes of the genre, and gives it a dramatic yet visceral feeling. The finished product is something truly captivating.

@beni's picks:

"歌謡曲 (Kayoukyoku)" by 大森靖子 & THEピンクトカレフ (Seiko Oomori & The Pink Tokarev)

albumartist

Seiko Oomori's debut album and only album released under the name '大森靖子 & THEピンクトカレフ' was one I had highly anticipated. This project is a one time thing, and Oomori has worked with The Pink Tokarev on her own solo music recordings. Overall, the album isn't perfect, which was very disappointing, but it does have its moment. In particular, one non-self covered track of Oomori's really stood out against the already well remembered and familiar self-covers of hers, and this is the lengthiest track at over seven minutes long; '歌謡曲.' Be prepared for some violent and dreadfully off key vocals. Am I selling it well? It's jaw-dropping just how far Oomori's tone and pitch can be pushed. Purposely. Let's just say you'll know whether or not you love it or hate it in the first few seconds. With a melody that's very moving even when it's accompanied by inelegant yet cute wails, '歌謡曲' can be a smooth and bumpy ride which I keep wanting to come back to.

"神様の悪戯 (Kamisama no Itazura)" by SuG

albumartist

One of the two ballad tracks on their newest album release, SuG incorporates a night club-like sound with a much slower and calmer song. The opening beat grabs attention while the rest is a peaceful and relaxing listen. There's no dramatic climax nor a drop in quality through it all, so it's smooth sailing throughout. The repetition of sounds welcomes us all into an easy and familiar sounding tune after just one listen, resulting in '神様の悪戯' being the most memorable track for me. It's also a mighty fine ballad at that, so who can blame me really? 

"Secret Garden" by Chara

albumartist

Chara's childish, sometimes dreamy and sometimes angelic vocals are cause for attention and love. 'Secret Garden' manages to express all these sides of her voice in six and a half minutes of pure bliss. The title track of her newest album fittingly opens with birds chirping and a child laughing, showcasing the theme of which her album is about. The beat picks up after the opening, but it still stays in a tone you can drift along to and just allow your senses to be overtaken by. That is, until the end hits. Much like the opening few seconds, it's an atmospheric and richly coated sound of mystery and sincerity - it's just a bit of piano and electros really - but the sweet and innocent sound of celebrating life never falters in this little masterpiece. 

"ETERNAL SLEEP" by THE BLACK SWAN

albumartist

THE BLACK SWAN's newest single packs double blows with two hard hitters, being tracks one and two. But it's the ballad song which packs the mightiest punch. The track has more melody in it than the two previous combined, which is a lovely inclusion after those manic songs. 'ETERNAL SLEEP' takes a back seat on this big delivery, being one of the best and most fitting ballads for Jin's aggressive voice.  

"Gimme U" by 倖田來未 (Koda Kumi)

albumartist

One of J-pop's biggest draws, once said to be the 'Christina Aguilera of Japan,' Kumi has come out with her twelfth album this month, which was more of a miss than a hit in my books. However, the album managed to impress me in a few sections, and in particular, track nine, 'Gimme U.' Partnered with Phil Bentley in making this track, 'Gimme U' stands out as the most simplistic yet most enjoyable song on the album due to its easy to get into, chirpy piano taps and synth interventions. With a hell of a R&B/poppy chorus melody sure to grab you and suck you in, its got everything in it to be the album's single track masterpiece.

"World is mine." by vistlip

albumartist

'World is mine.' is most definitely the happiest song on vistlip's recent album. Sporting a charming, oshare-kei tone to it, it's a playful and sweet sounding tune, with catchy lyrics being repeated during the chorus and synths going off throughout. And even with a few drops of Engrish and high parts in it, it asks to be played on only the most cheerful of occasions.

"あらかじめ语られるロマンス (Arakajime Katarareru Romance)" by 乃木坂46 (Nogizaka46)

albumartist

The strongest J-pop single to have been released this year at the moment, idol group and AKB48 rival unit Nogizaka46 take a truly glorious first step into 2015. What stands out most on all three single types is this track at the number two spot. Equipped with a simple girl group power house of kawaiiness and a quick succession in lyrical delivery, it isn't until the chorus hits that it oozes with all its awesomeness. Its overly cheerful tone makes for a sweet beat and tune to jam to. 

"シーサイドスリーピング (Seaside Sleeping)" by ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION

albumartist

The rocking lads of ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION make a return after two years of inactivity with their newest single, 'Easter.' Being the slower track amid two rougher deliveries, 'シーサイドスリーピング' gives off a lazy and easy-going feel. Its straightforward structure welcomes listeners into a smooth ride, with a chorus of highs and lows and a sound which is, overall, free spirited and feel good.

"My Room" by きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ (Kyary Pamyu Pamyu)

albumartist

With the most laid back and cute sound to it of all three tracks, 'My Room,' expresses how charming and sweet Kyary can be when her more wild tunes can get turned down a notch. Its single track and b-side are on the more fitting, crazy sound we'd expect of the hyper and eccentric lass, but it's the third track that brings a more old fashioned sound to the table - something reminiscent to CAPSULE's early sound. If you're looking for some kawaiiness right now and have overlooked Kyary on this one, look no further!

See you next month! :3

Interesting to read that about kuu. I might check this song...Bon Voyage was a complete let down, so so so bad that I didn't even wanted to listen to WOML. But I'm curious now about this song in peculiar.
150% agree for INAZUMA!

I like how y'all have differents musical tastes, from every horizons. <3

Thank you for the review guys.

Artist: ナイトメア

Song:入滅-entering nirvana-

Album: CARPE DIEM

Well, this was a great song release from the band, their recent singles releases wasn't very good and this album got some good songs, and this was my favorite on it.

I know they should probably never sound like Vap times but I still like these guys.

Artist: ALSDEAD

Song: EVOIII

Album: INAZUMA

This was a hard decision, all single is great( ´ ▽ ` )ノ this guys need more fans!

The song has good beats from Nikki and a powerful guitar and of course Maki's voice.

Artist: Vistlip

Song: REM SLEEP

Album: LAYOUT

I choose this song after a big hiatus from Vistlip music.

I was really impressed with this song after see pv, also the album itself has cool songs, but REM SLEEP has wonderful lyrics and something more that I can't explain, probably is Tomo's perfect voice.

Artist: やまだ豊

Song: Glass Sky

Album: TVアニメ「東京喰種」オリジナルサウンドトラック

Beautiful lyrics, voice and piano.

The song fits very well on the anime and that's why I like so much.

@fitear1590, Ziyoou-vachi look real interesting, and that sample is pretty awesome. I'll get to them too. XD And it's really nice to see something like a live sample up there, another great listen. You're really selling UNiTE.! CROSS VEIN has always been a band I feel more should get into. It's something not usually seen and quite different. Much love to you and Cuushe for that track!

That single you and ender-chan included of a crowd of rebellion's I'm gonna have to get my hands on. 

, I saw waterweed as a recommendation to look out for this year. Looks like I would've turned a blind eye if it wasn't for you. Very strong song selection, I'm going to have to check them out. OZROSAURUS' track is my favourite of your selections. It is so super catchy, I wasn't expecting such a hard yet melodious sound. ALSDEAD has always been a VK band I haven't bothered looking into after their albums, but this sounds quite nice and promising. I'll check out another album if this is featured on it. Plastic Tree's single was great overall, I couldn't decide on one track, I kept changing my mind so took it out but I love your selection and blurb of it. It's great to see a Jpop selection which isn't on mine. <3 I didn't think WHITE ASH sounds like that, I'm going to have to dig into their discography more. Loving the repeated lyrics in that sample. And FACT sound as promising as always, a very great instant choice on your end, once again.

@CAT5, double exposure for chara, hella yeah. That daoko album was pretty cool from start to finish but nothing jumped out at me that much. You've changed that for me though. Great to see an upload from here get another mention. Sundays & Cybele sounds nice, too much has gone over my head this month. X'D siamese cats sounds even more lovely, I've always wanted to hear them after I found them a while back. Glorious. I do have an image of 'The Lady and The Tramp''s siamese cats dancing when I hear that sample for some reason though. xD That haisuinonasa single I liked 2/3 tracks of, and the one you've included is my favourite on it. x3 

I love best tracks days. I just sit here and play through each song and have a blast. I almost wish I could make these into some kind of playlist but that's hard when I don't have all the songs on hand yet hehe.

acor and UNiTE.! <3 So happy you're on the acor train! :D

I've never heard of Cuushe before this. I'll be keeping an eye out for that upcoming release now.

Daoko~ yay! I've really enjoyed the last 2 albums. Nice to see her on the list.

You and Beni got me sold on Chara. I'm gonna be looking up her discog soon. I am working through a lot of pop/dance music at the moment though so it might be a little while... 

And that Sundays & Cybele! This is perfect.... Is it posted around anywhere? I have a mighty need.

I really should get to checking out Yamaji's solo stuff since I love dip, but damn so much music, so little time! That song sounds great, though. 

Like I said above, you guys are doing a good job selling me on Chara. I'm looking forward to listening to more from her.

I was really close to adding that The Black Swan song. It's great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed a lot of music coming out this month.

The Koda Kumi album is on my list to check out soon. Like that song! 

I'm happy you liked so much of my list this month too. \o/

savage's title should be here