Sign in to follow this  
doombox

#33: PARADOX by FIXER

MH Featured Review Question Time  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get your FIX?

• Hell yeah! This was way more awesome than ReivieЯ and Signal!
    • Good enough with plenty of room for improvement but I'm not an addict yet.
    • I've heard stronger, harder stuff by other bands but this was not bad at all.
    • Only one song was convincing enough for me. Could really use some improvement.
    • Dear God turn this rubbish off.

PARADOX
Artist: FIXER
Single: PARADOX
1. White and Black (Prologue)
2. Paradox
3. Libido [Type A]
3. Verity [Type B]

Rating: :_7/10_: | Familiar faces, fresh sound

I wasn't sure what to expect from Fixer as PARADOX was my first foray into their short discography. But a band that houses ex ReivieЯ and Signal members has a lot of potential in my book. I'm happy to say PARADOX didn't fall too short of my expectations, either.

The single opens with a somewhat generic and predictable electronic instrumental. Even for an SE, it's rather long. It's not really that the track is bad, per se. There just isn't much to evoke the rest of the tracks that follow it. The SE feels placed there because it's expected to be there, which is never the best idea. Things like this are better left to hype up the audience in a live setting. I've never found them to work the same way on a recording. But the rest of the single makes up for it. By the time the title track begins, you forget that there was an SE in the first place.

Fixer

"Paradox", the title track, has great energy that kicks in with a machine gun drum beat and a scream. Jey's voice is powerful and even when he turns to his falsetto it carves out its own place among the dueling chugs of downtuned guitars. The song has great dynamics and bounces back and forth between heavy and quieter melodic segments in the verses. The more traditional visual kei chorus maintains its melodious aspects but in a much fuller arrangement between all of the instruments. As for the second track, "Libido" has a super catchy chorus, and more contrast of melody over thrash-y drums. Even at its heaviest parts, harmonies are layered over screams and the song never loses any intensity for it. In a short single Fixer is showing a lot of complexity and fresh approaches to a genre that desperately needs it.

The alternate song on the Type B version of the single, "Verity" sounds just like it was treated. B-side (or in this case, C-side?) filler. Not horrible "delete-this-and-pretend-it-doesn't-exist filler", but something that didn't quite fit with the other two songs and takes a few more spins before it grows on you. The verses are arguably more generic and the song even sounds like it didn't get the same production treatment as the Type A songs did. But if given a little bit of TLC in a re-recording with the right tracklist beside it, "Verity" could make for decent album material. This is only Fixer's 3rd single, after all. They get a little bit of forgiveness from me for having to skimp on what can be expensive studio time.

All in all, PARADOX is a strong showing that makes me want to continue watching this band as they grow. I will hold out hope that they pursue new and interesting ways to keep visual kei fresh and relevant. I'd love to see them branch even further from some of the vk mainstays it seems they are trying to cater to, as it may end up holding them back. However, Fixer are on the right track to a strong following and promising career as they are, and I'll be cheering for them.

Check out "Paradox"

Support the band!

PARADOX @ CDJapan

PARADOX @ HMV

Fixer OHP

A lovely review, short and sweet and straight to the point, and on one hell of an awesome release! I wasn't too particularly fond of the opening track, seeing as it's instrumental and vocals sell it for me in music in general. It's still a track I enjoyed and continue to enjoy though. I do, however, adore the title track, 'Paradox.' A really strong song! I can't even remember what 'Libido' sounds like though. xD But I'm interested in giving 'Verity' a listen now. I had forgotten about the other type release!

Sign in to follow this