CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

tumblr_n6fwt1gx0S1qb65yeo1_640.jpg

Since the J-indie fanbase seems rather small on this forum, I've created this thread in an effort to consolidate discussion - as opposed to making a billion different threads for every J-indie artist/band.

Of course, this thread is for discussion of non-VK bands/artist - though we don't necessarily have to limit ourselves to rock and rock oriented genres.

So besides myself and Aion, who else here is a die-hard J-indies fan? If you consider yourself a fan, you can start by discussing a few of your favorite J-indie bands, how you got into J-indie, or what you're looking forward to this year. Whatever you'd like to discuss.

Anything J-indie goes! :3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for me....WOW! Where do I begin? I guess one of my recent favorite bands would be Haisuinonasa (??イスイノナサ). I was first introduced to them back in early 2009 thanks to a mix that my pal Steve Tanaka (organizer of the Next Music from TOKYO tour) put together. It was pretty much love at first listen, as Haisuinonasa combines so many of the elements that I enjoy in music - female vocals, mathy instrumentation, ethereal/dreamy atmospheres. Wasn't much of a surprise that they were signed to Zankyo.

Here's one of my favorite tracks from their first EP:

8DbzqtNY6GA

There's a plethora of other fairly new bands that have caught my ear, but for me, haisuinonasa remains one of my favorite young indie bands to emerge from the scene.

Switching gears a bit, I'm really looking forward to OWARIKARA's upcoming album. It'll be released in a few days and judging from their new PV, "Swing", they haven't fallen into a sophomore slump at all! ;D

bwT30DWZIm8

As for disappointments for 2011 so far:

I thought the new Lillies and Remains album was a bit underwhelming. It wasn't bad, but the album got pretty boring for me after the first few tracks. However, I adored the opening track "Across the Line"

The new Merpeoples was also pretty lackluster. As with Lillies and Remains, the new album "metropolis" wasn't "bad", I just thought it paled in comparison to their debut.

Listening to "Shaman" from their first mini album

zrkOGoa50q0

and this song from their new album:

You can kinda hear the difference in their sound...

At any rate, I'm looking forward to hearing what else this year has to offer.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. Where are the other J-indies fans at!!!??? :3

Good thread as always, CAT5! Some of the listed bands are my favourites too - like Owarikara or Haisuinonasa; and I also have high expectations about Owarikara's new album. Apart from Haisuinonasa, the other Zankyo Records-related bands are cool too, if you are into math/post-rock - cinema staff, mudy on the 昨晩, or the cabs would be my advices. Novel Sounds are also a good choice, they are more into dream-pop / post-rock / ambient-related bands, like little phrase or swimmingpoo1.

The band, that got me into the indie scene were Psysalia Psysalis Psyche - their self-titled EP had a huge effect on my musical taste, not only because of Toru's suggestive vocals and very personal lyrics, but also because they had a style that wasn't simular to any other band I knowed that time. I still think about them as my favourite japanese indie band (even though Toru's solo single was very weak), and I can't wait to hear their next single - love the fact, that they got a new concept and style for every single. Apart from PPP, I consider Rin Toshite Shigure as one of my all-time favourite indie band, not only because it was one of the first bands that got me into math-rock, but because they simply _awesome_. I don't really had problems with the vocals (their rip-off band, THE UNIQUE STAR has worser/more annoying vocalists, I think), and their instrumentations never fail to amuse me - they can be complex with still having a poppy tone, in the sense that I just can't get some parts out of my head. Definietly a great band!

And as a little contribution, I would introduce one of my new addictions:

the mornings

artist_thum2.jpg

The Mornings is no-wave/hardcore-punk band, influenced by the Dead Kennedys (they even appeared on a Dead Kennedys tribute album "GET DRUNK MORE FUCK -A TRIBUTE TO DEAD KENNEDYS-" with their version of "drug me") - but there is a twist in the tale, because the band takes the DK-like epileptic hardcore to the disco. Yes, the mornings aren't afraid to use some hard-hitting electro samples in their music (think about their neon coloured glasses), combined with the 'half screaming, half rapping' style of their vocalist. "Acrobatic guitar violence", as The Japan Times labelled it. Really a hit or miss band, but I can only encourage everybody to give them a try - their debut album, "SAVE THE MORNINGS!" is one of the best debuts of the year.

:OHP: :myspace:

The band, that got me into the indie scene were Psysalia Psysalis Psyche - their self-titled EP had a huge effect on my musical taste, not only because of Toru's suggestive vocals and very personal lyrics, but also because they had a style that wasn't simular to any other band I knowed that time.

Back in 07, one of my friends sent me their "SUBWAY KILLER" song which hooked me instantly. While not one of my all-time favorites, PPP is an incredibly solid band who have always been consistent as far as quality is concerned. In fact, I think their sound has matured fairly rapidly over the past few years. "Matin Brun' was such a huge leap forward for them imo, and I'm not sure if that album gets enough recognition from us overseas fans.

Apart from PPP, I consider Rin Toshite Shigure as one of my all-time favourite indie band....

Ling Tosite/Rin Toshite....(whatever you wanna call them) is pretty much a given. Even if you're not necessarily a fan of them, you have to respect what they do. I didn't even realize that they were one of my favorite bands until I noticed how many plays they had on my last.fm lol ...

I still remember when "Inspiration is DEAD" came out - although I'd seen the band mentioned in various indie circles prior to that, it was my first real exposure to them. I initially downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about, and while I found both TK and 345's psychotic, chimpmunk-y vocals a bit grating, their music was undoubtedly fresh and their skill unquestionable. TK's infectious guitar riffs garnered many repeat listens from me, so I eventually grew immune to their vocal style. In fact, I've even grown to appreciate their vocals - couldn't imagine it any other way.

As for THE UNIQUE STAR....I appreciate their effort, but they're such a blatant Ling rippoff that I can't help but compare the two. Simply put, no one does Ling better than Ling. No competition at all there...

Thanks for posting about the mornings! It's good to see that they finally released an album, as I remember hearing their "neng neng" EP and the split they did with ARTLESS NOTE which were both released years ago. I hate to see promising indie bands release a demo or something, and then disband or never get around to releasing anything else. Unfortunately, given the circumstances of being an underground/indie band, it's all too common an occurrence. So yeah, it's good to see they got an album off. They have that same kinda chaotic, yet controlled sound that hyacca has. Love it! ;D

The band, that got me into the indie scene were Psysalia Psysalis Psyche - their self-titled EP had a huge effect on my musical taste, not only because of Toru's suggestive vocals and very personal lyrics, but also because they had a style that wasn't simular to any other band I knowed that time.

Back in 07, one of my friends sent me their "SUBWAY KILLER" song which hooked me instantly. While not one of my all-time favorites, PPP is an incredibly solid band who have always been consistent as far as quality is concerned. In fact, I think their sound has matured fairly rapidly over the past few years. "Matin Brun' was such a huge leap forward for them imo, and I'm not sure if that album gets enough recognition from us overseas fans.

"SUBWAY KILLER" is a great song, definietly one of my favourite songs from them! I prefer the earlier version on their self-titled EP more than the second version, on "Psysalism" - maybe because the first version is rawer, and punkier. I think of "Matin Brun" as a milestone - that was the end of the first part of their career, and from that time, they started to experiment with other styles (as you can see it from their six-single campaign). Really looking forward to their next single - Toru's solo material was a letdown, but I have faith in PPP.

Thanks for posting about the mornings! It's good to see that they finally released an album, as I remember hearing their "neng neng" EP and the split they did with ARTLESS NOTE which were both released years ago. I hate to see promising indie bands release a demo or something, and then disband or never get around to releasing anything else. Unfortunately, given the circumstances of being an underground/indie band, it's all too common an occurrence. So yeah, it's good to see they got an album off. They have that same kinda chaotic, yet controlled sound that hyacca has. Love it! ;D

I hate that thing too, so I was glad, when they announced, that they will release an album. I didn't think of comparing Hyacca and the mornings - but I must admit, that both are quality bands, I love Hyacca's guitar sound! More of these kind of bands would be nice.

Btw, this Merpeoples stuff is good, maybe I prefer the second song but both are nice; they were featured on "Patchwork Sounds", not? Is there a chance, that you have more stuff from them?

Lol, a lot of the stuff I've listened to recently that falls into this category have been bands:

a) from the Patchwork Sounds compilation

B) upped/recommended by CAT5 or Aion

or c) already known enough around here by the "indie fans".

But anyway, some of the bands I like are:

LeMpicka?

Nice female-fronted pop-rock, with guys that look like "hosts," haha. I'm still on the lookout for this "Sweet Qualia" release!

6dRTG7XCrSs

Anyway, they seem to have disbanded, because their website has vaporized into thin air. Their bassist has since reemerged in the new VK band, ユナイト.

Peronica

Has three different vocalists that kind of determine the style of the song. Overall, they are influenced by 80's/90's indie guitar pop, but on a few tracks, also a retro electro-pop style. The guitarist/male vocalist contacted me on last.fm (lol!) and he said they'll have a new release soon. I heard the new demo on myspace and if the vocoder voice is replaced with real vocals, it could be one of their best tracks imo.

U56ULjcFQtg

e2AT8A3EvUk

(Some may recognize this track, since it's a cover of an old 80's pop song, that Perfume also covered)

Plastic Girl in Closet

Good old shoegaze pop.

They have better songs than this one imo, but youtube isn't very helpful...

qPKC0Fox9EA

Tenniscoats

My brother introduced me to them a while back. They make some experimental indie stuff with pleasant fragile female vocals.

jWaX4vIxxWw

Anyway, cool thread! I also really like Merpeoples (disappointed to hear about 'Metropolis') and Haisuinonasa. And RED SUN!

The world of j-indie music is slowly opening up to me while the VK doors are almost shut.

This track just gets me excited about the potential of the j-indie scene:

ujvhuPY8_js

Although I wasn't really a big fan of the other two songs on the 3-month consecutive release campaign. They were OK, but nothing more.

I still remember when "Inspiration is DEAD" came out - although I'd seen the band mentioned in various indie circles prior to that, it was my first real exposure to them. I initially downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about, and while I found both TK and 345's psychotic, chimpmunk-y vocals a bit grating, their music was undoubtedly fresh and their skill unquestionable.

Haha, I loved the vocals from the beginning! Really stood out from everything else and were strangely perfect in all their imperfection. I love details like that in music.

Anyway, I think most of my favourites are already quite well-known around here, so I'll just mention a few I've been really into recently.

キノコホテル (kinoco hotel). I downloaded their first album Marianne no Yuutsu sometime last Christmas, because they were scheduled to play at an event with Merry and nil, and it was love at first listen. I just had to go back to it everyday for a couple of weeks, haha. Then I bought their mini cover album on a whim, because I couldn't find it online and that was money well spent! They released a second full-length last month called Marianne no Koukotsu, which I love as well. I feel it didn't quite flow together like the first one, but full of great songs anyway, this one being far from the best, but it got a PV:

86MQpbtawAE

Secondly, ??リヌルヲワカ (Chirinuruwowaka), who are old news, since they released their first album Iroha in 2005 already, but I only heard them recently myself. I never really got into Yuu's main band GO!GO!7188, so this was a nice surprise! Iroha is amazing from start to finish, just my kind of music. They released a new minialbum 白穴 a couple of weeks ago, and while it's not as stellar as Iroha, I do love it.

Bv6e_wAy5TU

And I just learned that my favourite crazy to the point of worriesome band ???ゃ人間 (Gusya ningen) is releasing a new mini in a few days. I love their first album to death, but I'm not sure how I feel about this new song. They haven't gotten any less strange that's for sure.

vc8261fJmu8

???ゃ人間 released their new mini-album, "????ア??祈り" today; hope it pops up somewhere, because I'm also intrested about it - and that PV is just awesome!

Don't exactly know what the first bands were that attracted me to the indie scene, probably some rockbands as Jeepta (now major), The DARARS, UNDER THE COUNTER, te', OGRE YOU ASSHOLE, THE NOVEMBERS (if I may believe my first charts on Last.fm that track back to early 2009...

I think I started listening to it since early 2008 or something, and since the summer of 2009 it was about all I was listening to :) As I said before it started with indie rock, which then would go to post-rock, shoegaze, electronic rock, to mostly folk and alternative pop at the moment.

The bands that influenced me the most in this would be the following

inspire:tion

Really awesome electronic shoegaze band that started about 10 years ago, went on an hiatus to be back in 2010, and how. I've posted their disco on here a few months back when their latest mini arrived, so you all should check them out...

Al4F-T-tYb8

(from their latest mini)

THEラブ人間 (THE LOVE NINGEN)

A fairly new pop-folk band with only 2 demo-tapes and a split-tape released so far. They got a new single out this week. Off this all, I only got their latest two releases (their 2nd demo and the split-tape) with the single in pre-order. Again, really awesome band.

kdBI1DF-2Po

(from their upcoming single)

???れ? (hekireki)

A band I come back to from time to time. Relaxing electronic shoegaze, although they have trips to other genres from time to time. They have a pretty big backlog already, that all are really great, but didn't get much attention.

UPKLs7H_KDU

ACRYLICSTAB

One of the first indie bands I really fell in love band. I also have mail contact with them from time to time. Sweet pop-rock duo that are kinda quiet right now...

TgF0mmLcPiM

better than the studio recording imo :)

pezite

CAT5 shared with me this release, and I loved it so much I just had to buy it. Pretty cool jazzy pop with a good vocalist that just released her solo-debut, which was more relying on electronic stuff. According to their bass-player, they are working on a new album which will come out later this year.

x-ca7rMlUIs

only song of them I can find online...

And then some of my favs that don't really need an introduction, or don't feel like typing about at the moment

me-al art

BYEE the ROUND

テノヒラ (tenohira)

??ら?ドア (HE LUCK DOOR)

ウラニーノ (uranino)

SEBASTIAN X

ジギタリス (digitalis)

merpeoples

The DARARS

N'夙??ボーイズ (N'Shukugawaboys)

ROTH BART BARON

Maria Hato / mmm

王舟 (oh shu)

and I could go on forever xD

THEラブ人間 sounds lovely! I like folky stuff.

Oh, I need to give a shoutout to HOSOME, since they're one of my faves and I seem to have forgotten them lately. They're just so fun in all their ADHD and 1-minute long songs. Sorry about the ear-rapey quality of the following vid, but it's new.

RpBw2tnRZts

This is kinda what they sound like on record for those unfamiliar.

ovjD3QOgkYQ

Haha, I loved the vocals from the beginning! Really stood out from everything else and were strangely perfect in all their imperfection. I love details like that in music.

yeah...when I first heard them, I was coming straight out of my psuedo-Elitist-metal-head phase, so it was extra tough for me to get into Ling at the time, as well as indie-rock in general. I absolutely abhorred 9mm's vocalist at first too lol....it wasn't until maybe a year later in 2008 that this whole "indie-rock" thing finally started to click with me. In retrospect, I regard 2007 as an epic year for Japan's indie-rock scene, though.

キノコホテル (kinoco hotel)...

These girls are indeed pretty cool. Even though I find the vocalist to be a bit nasal at times, I enjoy worse (Ruki of Gazette for instance), so it's no big deal really. Admittedly, I don't listen to them very often, but there's something incredibly charming about this band. Well, besides the fact that they're a band of cute female rockers, haha ;]

Interestingly, kinoco's guitarist, keme (ケメ) released a solo album last year which was a bit more my style. She plays folk/folk-rock, but still keeps things very retro. I enjoy her coarse, raspy singing voice as well.

keme (ケメ)

OHP~ MYSPACE

Keme+4.png

http://youtu.be/lXx7P-nkUc0

http://youtu.be/k0L98kjZfPY

In addition to keme, I discovered last year that there's more of a scene for this psychedelic-pop/retro revivalist music than I'd realized. I'm sure there are tons more out there, but the few bands that I've actually heard are:

six

http://youtu.be/mOkg4FiS-K8

サロメ??唇

http://youtu.be/qSBd72CJeZM

??????スペィド

http://youtu.be/sMtSgWtx7zc

デリシャスウィートス

http://youtu.be/v-h7DUwBWEA

PEACOCK BABIES

http://youtu.be/5tUoD8CxJkc

and MAYBE....maybe ミラーボールズ

??リヌルヲワカ (Chirinuruwowaka), who are old news, since they released their first album Iroha in 2005 already, but I only heard them recently myself. I never really got into Yuu's main band GO!GO!7188, so this was a nice surprise! Iroha is amazing from start to finish, just my kind of music. They released a new minialbum 白穴 a couple of weeks ago, and while it's not as stellar as Iroha, I do love it.

"old news"? haha, I'm really starting to feel old ;]

GO!GO! was one of the first Japanese rock bands I got into back in 2004, so I originally heard Iroha around the time it was released. I haven't given the new mini a listen yet, but I guess I won't get my expectations TOO high.

Also, I've only heard HOSOME's "Jakamashi Jazz" album, which I remember being pretty cool. I know there was also a first album, but I never got around to checking it out. How is it btw? ;]

I wouldn't consider myself a HUGE indie fan, I probably couldn't name that many bands as CAT5 or Aion, but I am a HUGE fan of Number Girl and a massive Inazawa fan girl. I think he's the most kawaii indie rocker ever, not to mention one of the greatest Japanese drummers. Never was fond of Mukai's projects, though I thought Kimonos was fantastic. I liked one of Nakao Kentaro's bands Spiral Chord too; they are one of those not-so-typical garage bands.

Another band I consider kawaii is andymori, though I've only known about them for a year or so. I have a thing for "indie-style" rock bands with catchy melodies and clear vocals. I'm THRILLED about their upcoming album.

Melt-Banana is also a big favorite - finally music that fits my attention span. Agata is <3.

Recently, I also got into Molice. I think Rinko is sorta cute and her voice isn't bad either. They are probably the first female-fronted Japanese bands I've really held an interest in lately besides Melt-Banana. I have a thing for that punkish new-wave sound. Speaking of which, I also love VOLA & the Oriental Machine, even though they are actually major now and became Telephones II: Electric Boogaloo. I think PRINCIPLE was a solid album; had more high points than SA-KA-NA had for me, though it certainly doesn't contend with Android and Darkside.

I guess to name some bands I have a passing interest within the more "well-known" indie bands: Sparta Locals, Ginnan Boyz, Eastern Youth, and downy.

I have more favorite bands in the "super ultra mega underground" category. I love a lot of the Japanese post-emo, punk, and hardcore bands. Sunsgrind is probably my biggest guilty pleasure - I have a weak spot for sappy melodic hardcore sk8ter music sung in Engrish :B. Some other underground bands As Meias, Bluebeard, and Onsa that have the pretty post-rock/post-emo sound I fall for, as long as the vocalist isn't too nasally.

Recently in regards to that brand of indie, I've gotten into Cowpers and Exclaim. Cowpers being a 90's hardcore band, and Exclaim being a DIY punk band that sounds like steroids on steroids. Pretty amazing. . .

I'm sure I've left out someone else. . .

Aside of Ling Toshite, me-al art, Psysalia, inspire:tion, and some of the aforementioned bands which I also like, I'm now hooked up to amazarashi; their music is simply beautiful & melodiously chilling.

Edit: & also, Anoice and 世界??終??り. I shift my music taste into the lighter ones lately.

Ling Tosite and The Unique Star, I love em both. TUS is a bit easier to get into, more pop-like, but I like em both.

amazarashi is amazing. Everything they do is golden.

Awesome thread, re-confirmed awesome!

I also really enjoy Kinoco Hotel!

And thanks for posting about ぐしゃ人間, littlelamb. It sounds kooky as hell, I love it!

I also am liking pezite, six, and the mornings. Need more of all these bands.

Can anyone recommend anything "math-poppy"? If that's not too clear, I mean something that shows some of the interesting rhythms/ time signatures and technical savvy of math rock, but has a overall "pop sensibility" as well. CAT5 might know what I mean. Something like Tubelord (I know that's one of our few common bands on last.fm, haha).

Dunno, but recently I have an obsession with exploring Japanese indies (and oldies too) :D

There is a video by a band called The Creator Of :

MFj0g3jgbn4

Weird name of the band, but I like the song a lot :D

And there is also another band which I'm liking a lot, called Uzumaki in kanji - 宇頭巻, Don't confuse it with Naruto :)

fnPSoKZQLUs

debIdSjTo0c&feature=related

NdAgT0aVZDY

It may not sound totally Indie but, the topic was about non-Visual Kei bands, so I hope that I got into correct topic :)

@futoshi, I fixed your tags :)

youtube-tags only need the video-id instead of the whole link :)

These girls are indeed pretty cool. Even though I find the vocalist to be a bit nasal at times, I enjoy worse (Ruki of Gazette for instance), so it's no big deal really. Admittedly, I don't listen to them very often, but there's something incredibly charming about this band. Well, besides the fact that they're a band of cute female rockers, haha ;]

I think the nasality is mostly stylistic. Goes with the music and her flirty bitch act, haha.

Interestingly, kinoco's guitarist, keme (ケメ) released a solo album last year which was a bit more my style. She plays folk/folk-rock, but still keeps things very retro. I enjoy her coarse, raspy singing voice as well.

In addition to keme, I discovered last year that there's more of a scene for this psychedelic-pop/retro revivalist music than I'd realized. I'm sure there are tons more out there, but the few bands that I've actually heard are:

six

http://youtu.be/mOkg4FiS-K8

サロメ??唇

http://youtu.be/qSBd72CJeZM

??????スペィド

http://youtu.be/sMtSgWtx7zc

デリシャスウィートス

http://youtu.be/v-h7DUwBWEA

PEACOCK BABIES

http://youtu.be/5tUoD8CxJkc

and MAYBE....maybe ミラーボールズ

Thanks for all the links! Oh keme sounds very nice indeed. :wub: Do you by any chance know where I could find that album?

six and サロメ??唇 sound great as well! Wish I could hear more from them. I think ミラーボールズ is more folk than Group Sounds inspired though.

Also, I've only heard HOSOME's "Jakamashi Jazz" album, which I remember being pretty cool. I know there was also a first album, but I never got around to checking it out. How is it btw? ;]

I think I actually prefer the first album New Fascio. The sound is somehow more varied, yet less all over the place, even though the songs are even shorter. Was that confusing enough? Haha. And I love the 7-min remix by World's End Girlfriend at the end. The original being 90 secs or something. :mrgreen:

Favorite indie band: OGRE YOU ASSHOLE

do they count?

Although technically, they're not an indie label anymore, they're still very "indie" in style and spirit. The same could be said for many of the bands mentioned in this thread, though. In the world of music, "Indie" is such an ambiguous word, so we need not try to define it in this thread. So yeah, whatever you wanna discuss here is up to your own discretion. Just wanted to toss that out there ;]

So as for OGRE YOU ASSHOLE - OF COURSE THEY COUNT! I'm a bit iffy about some of their recent material, but releases like "alpha beta vs lambda" and their S/T are fraught with classic songs!

@*littlelamb - I shall add "New Fascio" to my perpetual queue of things to listen to lol ;]

@Mr Bacon - admittedly, I found amazarashi a bit on the boring side. They're not bad, just not my cup of tea I think...

@fitear1590 - Japanese math-pop bands....hm....that may be a tough one. Have you tried haisuinonasa and the cabs?

@fitear1590 - Japanese math-pop bands....hm....that may be a tough one. Have you tried haisuinonasa and the cabs?

Yeah, I already know and enjoy haisuinonasa. But thanks for the cabs! Sounds promising.

Japan's indie scene is pretty damn sweet. I think Number Girl actually made me REALLY appericiate the genre, but i was listening to several bands before that already ( ART-SCHOOL, who really aren't that indie anymore I think, Bloodthirsty Butchers, Coaltar of the Deepers ) and after that, the last few years, my tastes have been expanding more and more mostly because I started stepping out of the VK-only world and into the indie music world.

A few of my favs would probably be

Most of Mukai's projects 'sides Number Girl whom I already loved ( Kimonos especially tickles my fancy and I'm still looking for things similar to them soundwise )

Ling toshite

mothercoat

Qomolangma Tomato ( dat vocalist though, need to get used to him )

Urbangarde ( indie pop i guess but still original for sure )

Latest PV from "Underground-pop" band, Tokyo Karankoron (??京カランコロン).

a little bit too long I think, but very nice! ;D

dYt9PB3iWgk

Guess I can come out of the woodwork now.

I only found this site due to searching for stuff from some indie bands and finding aion mentioning them here. I stayed to occasionally check the download section. :P

While anime got me a bit interested in some semi-indie bands with Shocking Lemon, AKFG, The Pillows, School food punishment, etc years ago, the band that really got me into j-indie was Ling tosite. They've been my favorite band for at least the last year and a half and I've pretty much just been exploring the j-indie world to find bands that give off the same vibe. Since then I got into the more emotional/post-hardcore/math-rock stuff like Art School, The Novembers, Pegmap, Number Girl, Perfect Piano Lesson, and recently the Cabs. I also love stuff with awesome bass lines.

Here's some recent crap I like:

Pegmap'「Touch??

From their recent "Come Back" ep. This band loves to cry-sing.

UMmUVpvjK6I

UNCHAIN 「Super Collider??

Not sure how indie these guys are being on avex, and it's a bit old, but guitar riffs remind me of Ling.

AZ6aOb-wvIE

八?八ヶ所巡礼「??滅トリシュナー??

I love the bass and guitar riffs.

c7apuNjIRe0

昆虫キッズ 「太陽??ん??

The girl is cute. And the music is interesting.

rI-LZMyuZtA

クリープ??イプ「左耳??

My brother gets annoyed by the main guy's voice but I find it interesting. Then again, my favorite band is Ling.

mwRarYgaHkk

caroline rocks「パラレル??

Post-hardcore-ish math rock-ish.

JYTHoQ-ke3Q

I've only heard caroline rocks's first mini album, but they're solid enough and I'm fairly interested in giving their new one "parallel." a listen. Have you heard it yet?

昆虫キッズ is name I've seen around, but still haven't gotten around to listening to. Will have to so soon...I know they have 2 releases up at KMC.

is pegmap still around? I had no idea they released a new EP... I only have their old releases "HAVE A NICE DAY" and " see you"....

UNCHAIN is good, but I have to admit that I've never really given the a fair listen. I do have a few of their releases laying around my HD, though...just need to remember to listen lol. From the songs I've heard so far, I do know that the vocalist's Engrrrish annoys me at times. ^^;;;

八?八ヶ所巡礼 are fuckin' awesome. It's like they filter your traditional hard Rock&Roll through their warped, Japanese-indie sensibilities. I've only heard their album from last year and their 2009 EP, but it's all quality material! ;D

クリープ??イプ....I've never heard of before. The vocalist is a bit grating, but it's not too bad besides that.

Anyways, welcome to MH! Glad you decided to "come out of the woodwork" lol. We need more J-indie fans here! ;]