Sign in to follow this  
Mei

Gay relationships' public facade.

I was wondering how do the gays/bis here (or your friends) act in public...

Do you mind being labelled as gay or you just don't give half a f*ck?

I think nowadays people are obviously a bit more open-minded, but it's still embarassing for me to admit i like boys too. I'm afraid of letting my mother and relatives down D:

discuss

People are definitely more open-minded than, say, 2005. A lot of people more accepting in just a short amount of time.

My husband and I are moderately affectionate in public places - maybe short kisses, holding hands.

He is more affectionate than I am, I tend to be more considerate to the public but not where I don't want to do anything - just no heavy making out or anything sexual.

I live in a gay neighborhood so it's a lot more accepting but i'm talking about affection in general everywhere.

I'm not afraid to show who I am. I'm 25. I'm not flamboyant in any way (compared to others) but I am not afraid to openly show who I am and talk about my sexuality.

I behave the way most people do in public, because I don't feel like I need to announce my sexuality to anyone and everyone. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of it, it's more to do with believing that my sexuality does not define me and doesn't make me any less or more special than any of the other strangers wandering the streets.

On the flip side, if I happen to be with a girlfriend in public and we do hold hands or kiss, the sort of attention I get isn't entirely negative, which I suppose is different from, for instance, a male couple who might be doing the same thing. I think because society deems it more socially acceptable for two women to kiss and there are plenty of men who think that two women kissing = two straight women kissing to tease males.

People could still stand to be way more open-minded, but oftentimes that's asking a bit much of the human race. Baby steps.

I don't feel like I need to announce my sexuality to anyone and everyone. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of it, it's more to do with believing that my sexuality does not define me and doesn't make me any less or more special than any of the other strangers wandering the streets.

This. That's why I don't like when someone (ethero, bisex, gay...), is doing something too much on public with someone else xD But I understand it, sometimes it can happen to lose control of your emotions... so. Though some people kisses/flirt on the streets just to show off = :Umno:

i only show affections when it is apropriate.

i don't see the need of doing PDA overly just to tell the world we are in love.

i understand that to some gay people, to show affection publicly can be considered some seriousness.

cos it takes some guts, especially when one living in area that doesn't really welcome about it.

that will be like proof that one is really serious with his or her significant other.

Though there is groups that just doing it cos they are outdoorsy.

but as for me, showing affection overly much in publuc is just as anniying as seeing straights did the same thing.

holding hands is alright, so does little smooch on the lips or cheek or forehead, or playing a little footsie, that is cute.

but to do deep kisses passionately or sitting on their partner's lap doing some innuendo or more than that inside a bus, on a bench in a park and such is not.

one need to read situations and keeps things that should happen behind closed doors as their own thing. it is disgusting to be honest.

as for deciding if ut is best to out or keep in the closet is a very personal situations.

everyone have their own circumstances and reason why they out or still in closet.

if you sure that by being out to your family and friends would make you feel better then do so.

just keep in mind it will not be easy to some peole to accept it.

so my suggestion is to do it slowly and try to find signs by talking with them with subjects around same sex relationship and see how they respond it.

if they were flipping out better wait and prepare them for the big news. but if they seem welcoming then can do next steps, by putting hints into the conversation. so they can work it themselves that you might be gay and it will help them to nit be too surprised when you telling the real deal later.

do it smoothly like that will be better than doing it blatantly. as the latter one may not work to most people, even if they are your parents or siblings or bffs.

i do not mind being called gay tho cos that is what i m.

i have embraced it since i decided to out myself to my Dad and friends.

it feels much better personally, cos i do not have to deny myself every time people asking if i have a GF.

to have some secret hidden is the most unpleasant thing ever.

also i do not buy the 'my gender to do not define who i am' thingie.

as i believe people who having this such belief may either just not sure where they are standing.

or just feel comfort the way they are and do not feel the need to clarify something. in this case, bless them.

but it's still embarassing for me to admit i like boys too

i feel the same!

I don't feel like I need to announce my sexuality to anyone and everyone

2x

My boyfriend and I are still a bit shy about showing how we feel in public, although lately it's been getting better. For example, we start to hold hands more often, but immediate look like we were looking for our phone or just playing around when someone walks past. I really hate that we do that.

Every so often I see a lesbian couple walking by when I walk home from school, happily holding hands and smiling. I'll admit, I stared. Not because they're two girls, but because of how nonchalant they were about it. One of them saw me looking and just smiled as she walked past. I wonder what she thought I was thinking: if only there were a way to convey that I was staring out of envy.

However, when it comes to one-on-one conversations, I am very open and comfortable about my sexuality. I love answering questions about it (so long as they're not douche-y ones [both personality wise and actually talking about douches]) and I think people appreciate how down-to-earth I am when answering their questions or sharing my experiences: I'm honest and don't throw in any fluff or martyr stories, which, I've been told, is highly appreciated.

I saw a gay Indian couple in my complex holding hands, I wanted to be like YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and give them a big thumbs up to show my support. Yet, I thought that might be awkward and come off wrong, so I just tried not to stare which I think may have also came off awkward and could have given off the wrong impression.

Seattle though, especially in the Capitol Hill region has a pretty large gay community and it's normal to see gay couples holding hands or showing public affection, like kissing a loved one good bye.

The best was when there was some religious nut-jobs protesting on some corner about how we're all going to go to hell and gays are dumb. A gay couple walked by them holding hands and just kindly waved to them as a big passive aggressive FUCK YOU. Loved it, Seattle is awesome like that.

Sign in to follow this