Ito

What Manga are you reading?

Volume 6 of Gleipnir came out today and wow this newest volume was a rollercoaster of emotions and boy did it end on a high/hype note.  I doubt the upcoming anime will cover this far unless it's a 24+ep season but nevertheless it's been fantastic so far and if anyone needs something new that's edgy and over the top but overall fun definitely give it a shot. 

I'm reading Kuroshitsuji on and off. I'm kinda only in it for the side characters back story and then I might nope out of it again. The storyline went in a different direction I wasn't too fond of though so......

Plus it's been so long at this point ha ha

On 2/20/2020 at 12:35 AM, heresytrash said:

I'm reading Kuroshitsuji on and off. I'm kinda only in it for the side characters back story and then I might nope out of it again. The storyline went in a different direction I wasn't too fond of though so......

Plus it's been so long at this point ha ha

I had to stop buying it because it seems like it's gonna be never-ending and the story's going nowhere (at least when I still read it).  But now I'm curious what you mean by it going in a direction you're not fond off 👀 Care to tell me under a spoiler tag? 

16 hours ago, platy said:

I had to stop buying it because it seems like it's gonna be never-ending and the story's going nowhere (at least when I still read it).  But now I'm curious what you mean by it going in a direction you're not find off 👀 Care to tell me under a spoiler tag? 

Spoiler

I'm not very fond of the idea of 'Ciel' having a twin, who actually is the real Ciel who came back from the dead. I get it's kind of a good shock, but the plot went haywire after that. I check in here and there, right now they're at Meyrin's backstory and how she got to the manor so I'm interested in that as she was one of my favorite characters. I'll probably check for Bardroy's later too.

It really is never ending, it seems to never end. As long as something doesn't happen to Meyrin or the other Servants I'm fine though.

7 hours ago, heresytrash said:
  Hide contents

I'm not very fond of the idea of 'Ciel' having a twin, who actually is the real Ciel who came back from the dead. I get it's kind of a good shock, but the plot went haywire after that. I check in here and there, right now they're at Meyrin's backstory and how she got to the manor so I'm interested in that as she was one of my favorite characters. I'll probably check for Bardroy's later too.

It really is never ending, it seems to never end. As long as something doesn't happen to Meyrin or the other Servants I'm fine though.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? 

The classic twin trope, really? 

I stopped at volume 12 I think, so yeah I did not see that coming

On 2/17/2020 at 6:17 AM, sleepy coffee said:

It's been A few days but im currently on chapter 130ish of one piece. Kind of amusing to think this would have been something I'd 100% gush over and be obsessed with as a kid/teen but here I am barely experiencing it for the first time in my mid 20s and I still think it's been fantastic so far. 

im on chapter 614 now. 

someone help. 

So I'm jumping into this topic late, but I've been reading a ton of manga lately and need to recommend Jagaaaaaan (yes, that's really the title) to any and everyone who likes seinen action/horror. The art is super unique and while the story starts off kind of generic has really taken a path of its own lately. Seriously, check it out.

55 minutes ago, patientZERO said:

So I'm jumping into this topic late, but I've been reading a ton of manga lately and need to recommend Jagaaaaaan (yes, that's really the title) to any and everyone who likes seinen action/horror. The art is super unique and while the story starts off kind of generic has really taken a path of its own lately. Seriously, check it out.

im excited to eventually get around to this, i have a bit of a backlog right now since i decided to put my undivided attention to one piece lol 

Started reading Diner and ohh goddd. The story is so fucked up it’s beautiful, but I’ve been struggling to find a site that still updates chapters of it (raw or in English) 

17 hours ago, sleepy coffee said:

im excited to eventually get around to this, i have a bit of a backlog right now since i decided to put my undivided attention to one piece lol 

If you read and liked Parasite, it's a lot like that at first and gets pretty bonkers later on. Check out the spoiler below for a spread of how detailed and crazy the art is.

Spoiler

de1cd65b0f93b522cdf10c1c68aa87b1050bf935

It has just recently occurred to me that Hatenkou Yuugi is already in volume 21 so now aside from Hunter x Hunter I also expect to catch up on that lol. Wish me luck I guess

Any Kusumoto Maki fans here? It's strange, but my obsession with her manga started after my friend from the past said that Arimura Ryutaro is a close friend of her.

Also her music tastes are absolutely amazing! She was hardcore fan of trans records and wechselbalg's bands, and her early works (such as one shot in Margaret magazine) are filled with early visual kei atmosphere🌹

B8hUDmH.jpg 

These are ongoing series I try to keep up with ~

Chi no wadachi

SNK
Asper kanojo
Mieruko chan
Berserk
Dead dead demon's dededededestruction
Made in abyss
Totsukuni no shoujo

As for finished series I'm reading dorohedoro and hyouryuu kyoushitsu
I finished koroshiya ichi and shoujo shuumatsu ryokou like 2 or 3 months ago and have yet to finish another series . I am lazy. I'm thinking of finally picking up Initial D since the anime is so good.

Edited by fruitfork

Now that I've finished watching Dorohedoro, I began reading the manga. So far so good. :D 

Edited by Jigsaw9

Go a lot going at the minute:

Made in Abyss 

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 

Blue Exorcist

The Girl From the Other Side 

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (After the Rain) 

Watashi no Shounen

Ou Dreams at Dusk (Shimanami Tasogare) - Probably the most realistic lgbt drama out there in manga form. The way the author draws emotions is powerful, the setting is refreshing and it has a really good cast of characters. The drama will touch everyone's hearts, it's just a great piece of work.

Genderless Danshi ni Aisareteimasu.(My Boyfriend is a Genderless Man) - Really cute slice of life series about a young (ADULT) couple, the boyfriend is into the harajuku fashion movement known as 'genderless'. It's so nice to read about a healthy, loving adult couple.

Gokushufudou (The Way of The Househusband) - Really enjoying the comedy so far, ex yakuza becomes househusband.

Hikari to Tomo ni...: Jiheishouji wo Kakaete (With the Light : Raising an Austistic Child)  - For some reason my local library has all the volumes of this series. I think it was originally published in the 90s and it's really informative. Follows a family whose first son is autistic and their struggles in getting a diagnosis and learning how to best raise and care for him as well as getting the community's support in Japan. It's based on real information/events and it even features letters and essays from people in the author's community.

Ran and the Gray World - The art is incredible. Very reminiscent of the 90/80s. The story is crazy and sometimes not very coherent but it's a fun fantastical adventure. The protagonist (9 year old?) can turn into an adult by wearing these magical sneakers and I hate that there's a 30 year old Christian Grey type of character grabbing her when she's in adult mode...APART FROM THAT, I'm really enjoying this series.

Tatoe Todokanu Ito da toshitemo (If I could Reach You) - Recommended as it's a shoujo ai series not set in high school.

So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or? - Shoujo ai set in university, recommended.

Chainsaw man - still keeping up with it on a weekly basis and every single time the dude delivers, definitely one of the big standouts atm and anyone's who's into weeb shit is missing out big time if they're not reading it

Blue Lock - most recent pick up and theres so far only 68 or so translated chapters (upwards of 90ish total?). I couldnt give the smallest of fucks about soccer/futbol/football whatever you call it in your neck of the woods but this is one of the.most impressive manga I've read in a long time

Caught up on dr stone and the promised neverland, fun and entertaining series but nothing super standoutish nowadays

Jujutsu Kaisen - another new pick up, I'm still in the middle of catching up on this one. This series has been getting alot of hype recently and the upcoming anime will probably just raise that even higher. I find it pretty entertaining so far but it is basically a battle shounen of sorts so dont expect anything deep or profound

Fire punch- same mangaka as Chainsaw man but this was his previous work and it's already completed. Still at the very early part of this one but not much else to say but definitely also worth picking up. To sum it up the main character has insane regeneration powers to the point where it almost feels like hes immortal and some dude shows up and lights him on fire so hes basically forever on fire cause he cant die which is pretty fucked up lol

Currently reading Aka-chan to Boku (Baby and Me). Loved the anime so I decided to read the manga as well. Just as good as the adaptation so far.

2 hours ago, Anne Claire said:

Currently reading Aka-chan to Boku (Baby and Me). Loved the anime so I decided to read the manga as well. Just as good as the adaptation so far.

I've read New York New York from the same author. Very short and very well done series, very pleasant reading. One of the most human and touching manga readings I've had have so far.  70s, 80s and early 90s shoujo manga was a very interesting field of experimentation, which I feel it has been recently lost.

Edited by saiko

6 hours ago, saiko said:

I've read New York New York from the same author. Very short and very well done series, very pleasant reading. One of the most human and touching manga readings I've had have so far.  70s, 80s and early 90s shoujo manga was a very interesting field of experimentation, which I feel it has been recently lost.

I'm planning on reading NYNY after AkaBoku because just by reading the synopsis it sounds very interesting :D AkaBoku is also very relatable. At least from what i've read so far, it depicts human emotions so damn well i can't even.
I haven't read a lot of old shoujo manga but i've watched a quite amount of oldschool shoujo anime xD 

1 hour ago, Anne Claire said:

I'm planning on reading NYNY after AkaBoku because just by reading the synopsis it sounds very interesting :D AkaBoku is also very relatable. At least from what i've read so far, it depicts human emotions so damn well i can't even.
I haven't read a lot of old shoujo manga but i've watched a quite amount of oldschool shoujo anime xD 

Old manga, specially old shoujo manga, is my favorite field. Everything about it feels very serious, like compromised. I imagine mangaka being in a very position of treating their audience in a mature way, trying to deliver always fresh and clever stories and visuals. I guess the inmense anime industry, with all its idols, constant massive output and exitist ideology, was in diapers at that time, so I think everyone involved with creating comics and animation (from illustrators, scripters, producers, to musicians, etc.) had less commercial pressure and thus experimented more creative freedom. 

Also, like in VK, I crave for the overall melodramatic, tragic and sexual ambiguous aesthetics from the manga from that era, lol.

What old shoujo anime would you recommend?

Edited by saiko

12 hours ago, saiko said:

What old shoujo anime would you recommend?

If you haven't watched any old shoujo anime yet, I'd recommend starting with classics like Hana Yori Dango (yeah, I know that the doramas are more popular but the anime adaptation deserves some recognition too), Marmalade Boy (sometimes this anime can be way too dramatic though), Gokinjo Monogatari (especially if you're a big fan of Ai Yazawa's works), Hime-chan no Ribbon (technically a maho-shoujo but overall  it's a very wholesome show imo), Onii-sama e... (now this one is a hell of ride - it has drama and all but in the second half of the series the show gets kinda dark. Oh, and it has shoujo-ai elements later in the series as well), Kodomo no Omocha (one of my favourite shoujo anime from the 90's - amazing show that deserves more love) Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (a decent romance series from the creators of Evangelion), Chibi Maruko-chan (more of a slice-of-life series but it's damn good), Rose of Versailles (from the same author as Onii-sama e... but this one is a historical series and that's the only shoujo anime from the 70's that i've watched) and, like i mentioned earlier - Aka-chan to Boku anime is also great. 
I think these should be enough for now xDD

I randomly started reading Gleipnir recently since it kind of gave me Gantz/Kamisama no iu toori/Mirai Nikki vibes. The concept of a girl riding inside a boy who transforms into a fursuit and piloting him like a gundam is pretty excellent, but the story is kind of a mess and the creepy sexualization of the loli girl with the cat ears was a bit of a turnoff.

The last chapter I read ended on an amazing cliffhanger (🤣) though, so I'm still planning to read a bit more once more chapters come out.