Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Creative Title: Zess Will Explode If He Can't Find New Music

Now that I'm back from my trip I can share my thoughts quickly before I have to go to work ; o ;

As for the Slayer album, all unfortunate production choices outside there was some OK material here. I felt that one of the "big 4" of thrash metal would make a larger impression upon me than they did with this record, so that adds even more to my feeling of being underwhelmed. I can't point to any one thing in the music that didn't turn me away but nothing in the music similarly caught me. There are a few songs I'd go back and hear once or twice more but I don't think I'll be listening to this as often in the future.

As for Suffocation, I must admit that everything sounded the same. My ears are stuffy so I can't hear as much detail as I normally do. I already know a lot of tech death sounds very same-y if you aren't/can't hear all the fine details so I can't have any criticism for this album because I couldn't hear a thing! Tech death is sometimes my thing, sometimes not. A lot of the bands always end up sounding so mechanical when they do it and that takes away a lot of the emotion, which is the main reason for not going down this genre further. I liked the one song that I thought I heard over and over so when I can hear again I'm going back to give this album a fair chance.

Also, UPDATED ZE LIST!

Sweet! My week is filled with essays that I need to write, and I really enjoy listening to Autechre, so it is the perfect time for me to revisit their classical albums. As for Sick Of It All, I liked the songs that I've heard from them, but never bothered listening to a full album - guess it should change now. Going to give some spins to this week's albums, and come back with my thoughts about them.

Listened to the Sick Of It All album. I started listening with high expectations, since I've heard their name a few dozen times here and there, that they're influential/legendary/great, but this album didn't leave much of an impact on me. It isn't bad but it left me completely neutral and "meh". Maybe if I was in a different mood it would've found its way into my head. It has some cool bits, but there are too many songs that are also too short for my taste, so I couldn't really distinguish between them (I have the same problem with grindcore too, by the way), and it all got too boring after the first few minutes of the album (thankfully it's short, lol). The production kinda played into my unaffectedness too. It sounds okay, but kinda lacks a punch (yeah I know, it's not some high-produced popular crap, what do I expect xD). So all in all, I was pretty unimpressed. Okay, the last song was pretty good.

Also looked into that Autechre stuff, but noticed it's not one but actually two of their albums given for this week, lol. Looked up their lengths (more than an hour each) on Wikipedia, listened to some snippets on youtube, and concluded it would be best if I skipped that one. xD

I haven't yet listened to the Autechre one, but I didn't realize that they were two as well. I'll give my thoughts on Amber later as that's the one I decided to go with (choice was completely arbitrary, no reason behind them). I have a social function that I need to attend so once again I'll change this later on in the day like I've been doing for the last month but I'll share my thoughts on Autechre when I get back.

My main complaint was that I did not like the vocalist's voice. I don't know why but I felt that he wasn't strong enough to carry the music and he sounded painfully same-y across all the tracks. The production doesn't help at all but earlier production such as this sometimes adds a nice, colorful touch to the music instead of the brickwalled crap we get today. I didn't get too much of a good or bad impression out of that. The good thing is that the music pumped me up as I was doing a project and I barreled through a ton of it listening to Sick Of It All, so I suppose they (or hardcore in general) is good for when I'm trying to get shit done. Don't know whether or not I feel that they were too long or too short - I guess it depends on how I feel with what I'm doing as I listen to them.

EDIT: I'm halfway thorugh Autechre. Jeebus these tracklengths! Many of the songs are not interesting and/or varied enough to justify having routinely 6 to 7 minute songs. I would say IDM is not my thing, but an4rm is one of my favorite releases of 2011. Perhaps Autechre's take on IDM is just not my thing. For a record from the early 90's though, the production on this is fantastic, especially as I play it back through my new headphones. They really don't take advantage of the binaural capablilities that most headphones come with today because I can tell everything is clearly panned to the ears for most tracks and for me that's a shame. Perhaps they intended for there to be distinct melodies playing in each ear for some effect that I am unable to look for. Glitch is one of the few songs that I say really plays with the soundscapes and goes all over the place in terms of where I perceive the music to come from. Either that, or it's one of the few songs I paid full attention to. For real, in-depth listening, this fails to hold my attention. If I'm in desperate need of background noise, I don't think there's anything else in my collection currently (save an4rm) that can double as suitable pleasant background noise to drown out my roommates while I churn out a paper. I'm going to need that kind of noise in a few hours when I sit down to start a paper, so it's good that I know I can turn to this to have something to "zone out" to.

Due to some life developments I'm going to have to put this on pause for a bit. I'll let you guys know when I start this up again. Sorry about all that.

Just came back for a second to let you guys know to feel free to leave comments on whatever you've listened to and keep the thread alive and such. Just didn't want you guys to feel like you couldn't share your thoughts amongst each other until I come back.

Sign in to follow this