Pandabear

Earphones/Headphones

So what kinda of earphones or headphones do you use to listen to your music?

I’ve been using the apple earbuds that came with my Ipod. They turned out better than the ones that came with my now broken Nano a couple of years back. However the sound quality has gone to hell and I’‘ll probably end up buying some JVC gummy earbuds or Sony earphones that are like $10. I like to use earphones for casual listening and when I go out so I’ve never really had a reason to spend like $50 or $100 on them. It always seemed kinda of a ridiculous amount of money to spend on earphones. Especially since most earbuds in that range are in-ears and I don’t like in-ears. They feel uncomfortable to me and they always ended up slipping out.

On the other hand I can easily spend a good amount of cash for quality headphones. I use those mostly for home use. From listening to my computer to playing my guitar. I’ve gone through a couple of cheap ones. I’ll probably end up purchasing some studio quality ones for mixing down the road. I’ve still got a good pair of Shure headphones and I recently ordered some inexpensive Panasonic ones. They seem to have decent sound quality and are stylish. I can never find headphones at a decent price range that have good sound quality and are stylish. Most of the ones I come across are aesthetically unappealing. I like the look of the skullcandy brand, but I’ve been reluctant to try out a pair.

I personally loathe the Skullcandy brand of headphones. I've only ever had experiences with the noise-cancelling in-ear ones but those have led me to believe that they're all cheaply manufactured. I've never had a pair of Skullcandies that lasted longer than two weeks and the very last time I bought one, the wire itself came out of the left ear, connectors and all. They weren't connected properly to begin with so it's as if they don't do quality checking before they leave the factory. I've never had any other brand of headphones disintegrate so quickly from usage. The ones that I buy at the cornerstore for $10 last longer! Both my mother and grandmother have also purchased Skullcandies and wonder why they've died less than a month later. My grandmother barely listens to music on her headphones too so if Skullcandies break for her than it's not the person, it's the brand. I've heard of people claim Skullcandies to be the best but my track record with them have proven them to be too shoddy for even basic usage. I recommend that you just don't go there and save your money.

As for me, cheap headphones are good because I don't listen to FLAC files and most of the time I'm on my iPod or listening from my computer speakers. I just have a $20 pair of in-ear noise cancelling headphone and they work wonderfully. :D

^ Your review of the skullcandy is one the reasons I was reluctant to buy a pair. I've read so many other reviews of people having the same experience with the brand. But yeah I think I'll take your advice and avoid the brand.

Skullcandy ink'd are the worst. I never had a pair last me more than 3 months. I've had my pair of skullcandy titans for a year now and they still work after heavy usage though. Right now I use just a basic pair of sony over the ear headphones or sony noise canceling headphones.

everyone I know would tell you that YOU SHOULD TOTALLY GET A PAIR OF BEATS OMG THEY ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES EVER!

i don't know how frequently you listen to music on headphones, but if it's more than just once/twice a week do not underestimate the significance of quality earplugs!!!

i never understood how apple could create an mp3-player with fairly decent soundquality (the ipod) and then ruin all the efforts of the sound-department

with sort of the worst headphones this universe ever crapped out, that is simply beyond my comprehension.

seriously, i once bought earplugs in the supermarket for 5 bucks, with flashy words like "ultra-bass" and "power-whatever",

usually quality indicators for sub-garbage-quality, and even those sounded better than those ipod-noise-vomiters.

i for myself was pretty lucky, as i started with sound-engineering/producing etc..

i looked for mainly studio-headphones, which would also occasionally work on an ipod and in public aswell

and ended up buying those on ebay for 80 bucks (new would be around 200), just because someone recommended them to me.

189e2083144aafd40133dcc74bfe168d.image.241x333.png

Grado Labs Prestige Series SR80

so i didn't originally buy them for the everyday and everytime musiclistening but mainly for work.

that was five years ago now and in the end i would say i spend 30% of the time of the day with those on,

simply because listening to music is so much fun in high quality, i'd never have expected to listen to so much music before.

of course one doesn't have to spend that much on headphones, but don't just go with "those look cool" and/or "knowing myself i'll brake them in two weeks time",

quality sound can really open new worlds for the intelligent and good looking music-enthusiast ^^

you can already get some good earplugs somewhere in the 20-40 bucks pricerange, the problem is to identify quality products.

so this is what one can do.

take your ipod with some of your favorite albums to the sound-shop of choice (the bigger the selection of headphones, the better)

then listen to some of your favorite tracks on the most expensive headphones they have there.

after that grab all the headphones of your pricerange of choice and compare, which one comes closest to that ridicculously pricy headphone of before.

key trick is to pay close attention to the bass-frequencys, because that's where the most bogus happens.

i don't know what kind of music you listen to, but assuming it's somewhere in the heavy-rock-genre focus on the bass drum.

if you happen to put on a headphone where you think "jolly unicorn-testicles, now that is a lot of bass!!!" put them down and immediately cross them of your list

this is usually a gain-raise in the somewhere not-so-bassy-frequencys to distract from the actual lack of real low-frequencys.

assuming the mix of your song of choice is top notch, the most prominent sign of quality is to actually still hear the kick-drum in the really loud parts

not just the stereotypical metal 4khz 'klacklack', but in some bass-range that if heard live or over huge speakers would punch you in the stomach.

aah crap, look at that shit, i wrote a fuckin 2000-pages epic again, meh...

tl;dr:

1. compare headphones of your preferred pricerange to the most ridicculously expensive you can find and pick the one that comes closest

2. do NOT EVER underestimate the power and joy, that comes from quality sound and headphones!!!

particularly if you're pretty much constantly on the move = constantly listening to something on your headphones

EDIT: and don't pay any attention to the frequency-scale that supposedly is provided by the headphones, those numbers are the bullcrappiest bullcrap any bull has ever crapped...

For a pretty long time I've been using standard earplugs for about 30€ until last year when the cable of my old in-ear plugs broke and I had to buy new ones. Since I place a lot of value on high quality sound (for a couple of years I've been using a Teufel system on my laptop / pc) I finally decided upon the Ultrasone HFI 580 headphones which cost about 130€ in europe.

Ultrasone%20HFI-580%204.jpg

I must say that the sound quality is amazing. If you were using standard earplugs or rather low priced headphones you'll be amazed by the purity and power of those. I would never go back to something cheaper and in my eyes, it's never worth it. You'll hear details in your favorite songs you never heard before and everything else will sound a 1000 times better.

Ultrasone is specializing in headphones and offers different product series for different uses (like DJ etc) and you can go up to about 1200€ for the high end ones.

Lol, I'm still using the Skull Candy ear buds - surprisingly this current pair has lasted almost over half a year (despite being through some serious torture being in my backpack) unlike past pairs which would break in exactly three-five months of use. I would like to get an actual decent headset, but right now I'm more focused on investing in a new iPod/portable music player than anything else.

I personally loathe the Skullcandy brand of headphones. I've only ever had experiences with the noise-cancelling in-ear ones but those have led me to believe that they're all cheaply manufactured. I've never had a pair of Skullcandies that lasted longer than two weeks and the very last time I bought one, the wire itself came out of the left ear, connectors and all. They weren't connected properly to begin with so it's as if they don't do quality checking before they leave the factory. I've never had any other brand of headphones disintegrate so quickly from usage. The ones that I buy at the cornerstore for $10 last longer! Both my mother and grandmother have also purchased Skullcandies and wonder why they've died less than a month later. My grandmother barely listens to music on her headphones too so if Skullcandies break for her than it's not the person, it's the brand. I've heard of people claim Skullcandies to be the best but my track record with them have proven them to be too shoddy for even basic usage. I recommend that you just don't go there and save your money.

I admire Skullcandy's design and marketing, and I LOVE that they support sports that I am in to, but I would never buy their products. They are geared more towards looking good than sounding good.

As for me, cheap headphones are good because I don't listen to FLAC files and most of the time I'm on my iPod or listening from my computer speakers. I just have a $20 pair of in-ear noise cancelling headphone and they work wonderfully. :D

I don't by that reason, I really don't. Any day of the week I would rather listen to 128kbps music out of nice headphones than FLAC out of crummy headphones. Your bit rate doesn't matter, and until you start getting really anal, the source doesn't matter. A good pair of headphones are going to give you a smoother frequency response, and that doesn't matter what the file type is or the source.

so this is what one can do.

take your ipod with some of your favorite albums to the sound-shop of choice (the bigger the selection of headphones, the better)

then listen to some of your favorite tracks on the most expensive headphones they have there.

after that grab all the headphones of your pricerange of choice and compare, which one comes closest to that ridicculously pricy headphone of before.

key trick is to pay close attention to the bass-frequencys, because that's where the most bogus happens.

i don't know what kind of music you listen to, but assuming it's somewhere in the heavy-rock-genre focus on the bass drum.

if you happen to put on a headphone where you think "jolly unicorn-testicles, now that is a lot of bass!!!" put them down and immediately cross them of your list

this is usually a gain-raise in the somewhere not-so-bassy-frequencys to distract from the actual lack of real low-frequencys.

assuming the mix of your song of choice is top notch, the most prominent sign of quality is to actually still hear the kick-drum in the really loud parts

not just the stereotypical metal 4khz 'klacklack', but in some bass-range that if heard live or over huge speakers would punch you in the stomach.

aah crap, look at that shit, i wrote a fuckin 2000-pages epic again, meh...

tl;dr:

1. compare headphones of your preferred pricerange to the most ridicculously expensive you can find and pick the one that comes closest

2. do NOT EVER underestimate the power and joy, that comes from quality sound and headphones!!!

particularly if you're pretty much constantly on the move = constantly listening to something on your headphones

EDIT: and don't pay any attention to the frequency-scale that supposedly is provided by the headphones, those numbers are the bullcrappiest bullcrap any bull has ever crapped...

Quoted for fucking truth!

It's always good to read something and come away from it knowing that the person who wrote it know what they are talking about :D

I ALWAYS advise people to save their money, if they are buying Japanese releases, just pick one or two albums you are iffy on and don't buy them and use them to buy a pair of phones, it will be an infinity better purchase and you will be able to enjoy your music waaaay more!

$5 discount store buds that came in a tube. Plan on getting something shinier soon though.

This, except a little more expensive.

They break really fast because I like to listen to music loud. They also tangle up but I think the former is the reason for them breaking all the time. Now I'm stuck with a brand of ear buds that not only break easily, but produce the WORST sound quality imaginable. The company/brand is JVC, the model IDK.

I really wanted to try the Sennheiser HD800 because I've heard that it has outstanding sound quality, but it's also ridiculously expensive so I definitely won't have one anytime soon.

Pretty much for years I have always used these $20 Philips Ear Buds and haven't had much problem with them until about a year. The company drastically lowered the price (they're about $11 now) however quality also suffered from it. In the past they would last up to two years but these new ones are falling apart in less than a month. No way am I rough with my things, they really just suck now. The wire connecting to your device is what is crap, it breaks even if you just look at it wrong. I have had to return every pair I bought when trying to replace my old ear buds and it was always from the wire breaking.

Anyway, I decided to buy a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones from Motorola for a little under $100. God damn no more wires and I do not regret it at all!!! I have had them for about a year now I think. The best feature is that they cancel out noise, it kind of sucks when I have them on at work and someone approaches my desk and I totally ignore them but on places like my express commuter bus, I can drown out that low life that's loudly bitching on their cellphone about CPS taking away their kids. The quality of them is also better than anything I have ever had, however I don't know if the noise canceling is what is playing a part in that. Other cool things, is I can control volume and change tracks from button controls on them and they also double as a Bluetooth headset, except the misc is incredibly sensitive so if I try to chat with someone outside they say it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel. Only good to use when at home or just a quiet indoor setting.

For the most part I don't go for expensive high quality headphones, I have some hearing lost so I honestly can't tell the difference between expensive Sennheiser brand headphones or cheap shit. Okay sometimes I can but I do own a pair Sennheiser headphones I use at home. I tried to compare them with my wireless ones and I can't tell which is better. I guess the Sennheiser are more comfortable but I'm always running over the wire which is annoying.

Also I hate Skull Candy, when I was in headphone limbo trying to find a new brand to replace the Philips brand ear phones I relied on for years, I tried Skull Candy. Overpriced piece of shit that broke just as quickly as the Philips ones. I want to remind people that I take care of my things, it wasn't like I was throwing them around, stepping on them, swinging them around, they just suck and broke on me.

I don't by that reason, I really don't. Any day of the week I would rather listen to 128kbps music out of nice headphones than FLAC out of crummy headphones. Your bit rate doesn't matter, and until you start getting really anal, the source doesn't matter. A good pair of headphones are going to give you a smoother frequency response, and that doesn't matter what the file type is or the source.

The part that I should have added on to that was "I mostly listen to music on my iPod so I go through tons of headphones a year because they all end up getting busted in my bag". I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on quality headphones just to break them.

This is what i usually use for my netbook:

[attachment=0]HDPN.jpg[/attachment]

It's Phillips HN 110

It is not bad actually, though if i am not really paranoid,

i'd choose to take my Sennheisser everywhere with me better.

For iPod i mostly using their in ear earphones.

i never tried candy something, but i did heard alot of ugly stories about it.

And like ito said, many were bought the item for their bright colours,

aside of their more economical price.

Nokia C3's white earphone

i like the surround sound of it, i tried other earphone of nokia 240x320 black earphone but the cymbals became messy.

The part that I should have added on to that was "I mostly listen to music on my iPod so I go through tons of headphones a year because they all end up getting busted in my bag". I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on quality headphones just to break them.

If you do your research and buy a nice pair, they won't break unless you like chuck them against a wall or something.

I used to go through like a pair every 3-6 months, cause, well, cheap headphones break. about 3.5 years ago I bought a pair of Technics RP-DH1200 for about $120. I have beat the crap out of them and they are still going strong. I understand the excuse for not buying a good pair, but seriously, if you do some research you can find a pair that will be able to take a beating and give you some awesome sound quality.

Side note: I still use a crap pair for exercising, but I could care less about sound quality then.

If that is the case, then I will definitely look into buying some high-quality headgear for when I'm sitting down at my computer at least. While we're on this topic, whatever happened to the "high quality audio guide" that you were working on? I'd love to be able to use whatever you come up with haha.

When I get enough money, I'll probably buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones. I don't really care about noise reduction... I just want quality, and for a price that isn't through the roof.

whatever happened to the "high quality audio guide" that you were working on?

tell me more!!

btw. although my headphones have a really crappy/cheap touch to them i have them for 5 years now, and i bought them used, no idea how old they really are! i spend about 3 hours a day with them on or atleast around my neck, and that includes walking in the rain and the likes. once had to fix something on the frame due to own stupidity, but apart from that no problem.

edit: and i just found out, they've become alot cheaper nowadays, you can get a slightly smaller version (sr60i) on amzon for 80 bucks new...

only problem i have to mention about them for outdoor use is, they are open design, means you pretty much hear everything around you (and everyone around hears what you hear :P) but for computer-usage ideal, because listening to closed heads for too long is really fatigueing for the ears...

Hey I have a question to anybody who has experience with different headphones.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones with very good quality and clarity. I don't want the music to sound muffled and I don't need bass enhancement. I don't want the music to sound like there's white noise or added noise (distortion?). I want noise cancellation, but just a small amount. I find that the pair I usually use has no noise cancellation at all. I have a pair of Koss KSC75 headphones that seem to be a slight improvement to the standard 15 dollar iphone earbuds that I usually use while jumping around.. but the music sounds kind of muffled or... flat? At least on my mp3 player.

Anyway I'd be willing to pay anything under 100 dollars at the moment; I don't have enough money to buy the OMGTHISISAMAZING headphone sets yet unless those exist in that price range.

Edit: Zess reccomended to me the "Sennheiser HD448 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi" Headphone.

I honestly don't mind. I'm usually sitting while I listen unless I'm exercising. I want versatility.. something that works properly in up to date mp3 players as well as a computer / etc. I find that not all headphones can do that.

So I bought a pair of Panasonic RP-DJS400-K DJ style headphones about 3 months ago for cyber Monday.

94618.jpg

These turned out to be some of the best headphones I've bought for $20. They're clear, have good mids and highs and actually have good bass. I originally bought them for practicing my guitar, but I ended up using them more and more for listening to music.

Slapped on some cool skull graphics to their sides - skull_2_sticker-p217744399342952164z74qp_152.jpg-

And I got a pair of awesome sounding and awesome looking headphones.

To hell with skullcandy.