Sign in to follow this  
Champ213

Game Recommendations Please!

Okay, here's the deal, I'm currently buying christmas presents and I thought about giving a computer game to my sister. But not being much of a gamer myself I'm not sure what to give her.

So maybe you can give me some recommendations to look into?

Some info:

- My sister is 21, so don't worry about age restrictions.

- The game should be a few years old. So don't bother recommending Skyrim or whatever. For once, new games are fakkan expensive and since I have a lot of presents to buy, I can't pay a fortune on some game. Plus, I'm not entirely sure about her computer specs. I think her computer is 3-4 years old, so better be safe than sorry.

- She doesn't have any consoles, so the game has to be for PC.

Games I know she plays and enjoys:

- Simulation games like The Sims etc and real-time strategy games.

- Adventure-style games like Monkey Island

- WoW. Not sure if she plays any other RPGs though.

Don't bother recommending stuff like Call of Duty or games that are basically just shoot 'em ups.

I know it's a bit all over the place, but if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to look into them.

For RTS games, Starcraft 2 and Supreme Commander 2.

RPGs, go for Torchlight, Dungeon Defenders, Dragon Age Origins, Bastion, and Mass Effect.

One game I personally recommend to everyone is "To The Moon". It's a new indies game that plays like an 16-bit J-rpg/adventure that doesn't involve any battles or level up. It primarily focuses on the storytelling accompanied with wonderful music. You can check out the trailer here. Don't judge the game on its appearance.

If she's into RPGs then you can't go wrong with "Dragon Age: Origins"; it's a few years old so you should get a decent price for it, and in terms of content and playability it's unmatched, don't really know if it'd be suitable for her computer or not, if your gonna get her this then she'll most likely have to have some sort of graphics card from the past few years that can handle it, I'm not really sure on this part since I own it on console and not pc, so maybe somebody can enlighten you about the needed specs to run it successfully?

and I'd say "Starcraft 2" is about the best choice for rts, again though i'm not totally sure on the specs needed to play it...

For dungeon crawlers like Diablo, definitely "torchlight" is the way to go; mainly for two reasons: one, it's cheap like really cheap, I think it's only like 10 dollars now.. and you don't have to go to a store to buy it since it's a purely digital downloadable game. Two, if your worried about getting her something she won't be able to play due to insufficient hardware and up-to-date graphics cards, then torchlight is definitely what you want since i'm pretty confident no matter what type of computer she has she should be able to play it, considering I've seen someone play it on a shitty 100$ netbook with no problem what-so-ever. not to mention it's so much fun, and the fact the sequel is coming out next year means if she gets hooked, you'll have something to buy her next year already lined up.

hope this was some help, Good luck Champ :D

You could try getting her into the Mass Effect series, I mean its an RPG with Shooter elements. I found Mass Effect 2 too be amazing, and I'm happy about the 3rd one coming very soon.

Just to let you know, I ended up buying "To The Moon" for her. Since it was pretty cheap I also bought The Sims: Medieval as well. The latter was kinda a safe bet, since she liked previous Sims games, and To The Moon is a bit more experimental. I hope she'll enjoy it.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I can close this topic now. :)