zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

Does the world even need VK trap when it's already got Shaka Bose out there looking like a character from Legend of Basara without any makeup on and making stuff like this

7 hours ago, nekkichi said:

7 hours ago, Tokage said:

like yeast infection most likely

1 hour ago, nekkichi said:

does yeast infection have....an.......essence.................

yall ugly :tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy:

Possible controversial opinion incoming, but… I feel that renaming cities and places and removing statues of people we have retrospectively deemed to be "problematic" is going to hurt our progression as a society more than it will do good. We are essentially censoring history to prevent us from facing the past mistakes of our ancestors, just because some people may be upset and "triggered" by it.

How the hell will future generations learn to take a critical view of their past and history and use that knowledge to prevent great atrocities from happening again? Yeah, sure they can read about it in their history books, but if we rewrite them too to fit into the narrative of everything being simply black and white, then it's bad…

Imo it's important for people to know that it took humanity a long time to get where we are today and that we have improved a lot in just a century. I don't think that the historical revisionism of painting anyone who wasn't already as progressive as our society is today as evil is such a good, long-lasting lesson… it's important to know that it wasn't just famous dudes like Columbus were racist, but society as a whole was - and because we have thankfully improved enough we can point it out and talk about why it was bad. And being able to recognize that even supposedly "good" people who achieved great things for humanity can be shit people or be misguided.

Also, the same people who make a fuss about this stuff will be part of the very same generation that will be criticized for being barbaric, problematic and not progressive enough in the future. Because that's usually how it goes - people in the future will look back at those that came before and talk about how shit they were. Well, that is if we don't fuck up and society descends into a complete regression.

Edit: also sorry if this is too political… or if maybe I come over like some reactonary. That's not my intention and I don't want to stirr things up here, just feel like giving my own 2 cents about it. Obviously I don't condone any past crimes against humanity, I just feel the way we deal with them and our past atm isn't very ideal… y'all allowed to disagree. I'm posting this here especially since it's the only place where one doesn't usually get attacked for having an opinion.

Edited by Ikna

3 minutes ago, Ikna said:

I feel that renaming cities and places and removing statues of people we have retrospectively deemed to be "problematic"

beloved everyone knew they were shit people back in the day, there're no sudden post-factum epiphanies and rewriting very well documented history. they were put on that pedestal with all around complete and sober awareness of how shitty they were.

political power does not ask for public approval to celebrate itself.

Eh, I won't get into this, I already regret writing my post. I'd argue that's not true for everyone or every era. Many early societies were built on slavery like Babylonia or Greece and they came up with their own stupid reasons why it was excusable. Are we to believe people who were literally raised and conditioned to think it was ok from birth to be really aware that their doings were terrible? 

But whatever.  

Sorry for bringing this up.

@Ikna

I don't want to shame you for disagreeing, but we are not an early society by any measure, we are also capable of reflecting and judging what we want to translate in public through architecture and monuments.

there're examples of how similar "problematic" historic actors and visuals were handled dating to 70 years ago - 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/20/why-there-are-no-nazi-statues-in-germany-215510

and there's also shit like this:

there are places for those statues to be kept, exhibited publicly, and preserved, but the question of their presence in open air in a heating social climate that canonically prioritizes WASP dominance over anything else is open.

Edited by nekkichi

I'm an African descendant of Slavery. My surname is Irish and I don't have a lick of Irish blood in my family. I know FIRST-HAND and PERSONALLY just how deep the wicked effects of slavery run. I'm immersed in them daily.

I could care less if they knock these statues down or if they keep them up. I suppose its a nice, symbolic gesture to tear them down, but it's ultimately vain and useless. The damage that has been done (and is still being done) to my people will not be repaired or restored by such a gesture. America is and always has been the enemy of me and my people. The best thing they could do for us at this point is give us reparations - land and resources, so that we can do our best to separate ourselves from this wicked-ass system. But we're so fucked up, that if we did get reparations, we'd just turn around give everything right back to they ass. We got a baaaaad case of stockholm syndrome, to say the least.

-doube post-.

Also, if you wanna talk about "progress". This is just a drop in the bucket:

XevKbmK.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/opinion/race-wage-gap.html?fbclid=IwAR0-hp9K1xynflgQjzETN7-lCw96DAcef_9GizsG5Mk4PplHcgJ9NCXylWo

There's been no true progress. We've just been riding a carousel of deceit, deflection, and pacification for the last 400 years.

LoU2 - I can't believe the amount of people calling Abby a man just because she's jacked. Gamers are so used to questionable design choices fo female characters with bazooka tits that anyone who doesn't fit that stereotype is automatically a man? I'm butt hurt cuz muscly women deserve more love and also Abby is not only eye candy, I just really enjoyed her character. 

to harp a little back on what was being discussed earlier, and now that yung shapiro has passed away, god rest his soul, I think we can actually breach these subjects here in moderation and good taste and that anyone with even half a brain should be able to discern where that line is being laid.

the statues, especially the confederate ones, really are transparent efforts at a certain class of people flexing their power and bringing the fear of god into the hearts of those without that power, and they're completely void of any real artistic merit being hopelessly dated even back when they were set up. even storing them in a museum would just deprive the pidgeons a good bronze forehead to shit on. also somehow despite the fact that all the soviet monuments and memories ( sans world war 2 ) were taken down in Ukraine now like five years ago, Lenin still lives on in historical memory and research and studies go on unabated.

there's only one threat facing the academia and that is not the libs, commies or antifa super soldiers tearing down corny statues that no one with any taste and erudition would set up even in their backyards but our governments savagely cutting the funding of humanities all across the world in favor of technical studies, engineering and whatever. I don't know what all of those are in english but you know exactly what I'm talking about. I get beyond triggered when I see disingenuous people who have nothing to do with academia, who've never read a real academic work in their lives or done any genuine academic research talk about the academia as if they have a clue what they're talking about, like they've been a fly on the wall for years just because a since irrelevant carnivore diet snake oil crank Peterson who was DESTROYED AND WRECKED by Zizek made a bunch of videos on the Youtubes. All the wacky feminist and poc studies have only benefitted the field in bringing all these new perspectives and active research since older, " classic" studies sometimes doesn't get null'd even when proved inaccurate ( especially in a small language like Finnish.) The damage done to Universities in Finland in the past 10 years had nothing to do with people toppling statues, but with the lizard in suits to whom civilisation amounts to the Angry Birds amusement park and Nokia's Ngage.  

Edited by Karma’s Hat

20 hours ago, Karma’s Hat said:

a since irrelevant carnivore diet snake oil crank Peterson

This is irrelevant to your post, but I died when I read this :tw_joy:

Real talk tho, I fuck with Jordan Peterson. Now obviously I don't agree with everything the man says, but I thought his bible lecture series in particular was pretty dope...even tho he wasn't entirely scripturely accurate and he tossed a bunch of convoluted, unnecessary, and sometimes even contradictory information into his lectures...he still dropped some jewels of wisdom.

ALTHOUGH...I will say this. Most of the white, so-called intellectuals that I've watched or read usually have some kind of wisdom worth gleaning from and they may be super solid in certain areas, but literally all of the ones I've come across are HOPELESSLY lost and ignorant when it comes to issues regarding the so-called "black/African-American" community.

I'm pretty sure most of these dudes don't hate black ppl (Especially in Peterson's case), but I can understand why people label them racist: it's because they have their heads stuck so far up their own asses....they're so hyper-focused on shit like "empirical" data (which is often biased as hell) that they can't see the forest for the trees...and they're so blatantly out of touch with the reality that most so-called African-Americans face, yet they talk bold as fuck like they've walked in our very shoes. It's that prideful ignorance that comes off as extremely insensitive/offensive, and that's why I think it's easy to label a lot of these types as racist.

Shit like that used to bother me, but nowadays I just shake my head and laugh at it. Getting angry at a muhfukka for being ignorant is about as useful as getting angry at the sky for being blue.

2 hours ago, CAT5 said:

giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

:tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy:

You shouldn’t be taking life lessons from a man in a coma in Russia for the last six months because he ate 40lbs of ham