Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

[PS4] Rumors about new PlayStation system

^

It's been around long since April fool's. I'd say it's just another baseless rumor. They come and go, no need to make a big fuss about it.

On the other hand, in case it turns out to be true and Sony will actually release a console that doesn't support used games I just might have to give up buying their systems.

On the other hand, in case it turns out to be true and Sony will actually release a console that doesn't support used games I just might have to give up buying their systems.

I don't understand why gaming industries are doing this. People buy everything used, so why is this acceptable in video games? Ever since EA has started this trend of this online pass to sabotage gamers from buying used games, other major companies jumped in the band wagon.

So, it could be possible this new console won't be able to play PS3 games + games that have been used? What kind of crap is that? Not everyone can afford every 80 dollar game they want. Be happy they still play the original copy and don't go pirating your stuff :/ People buy everything used, TV's, games, CD's, DVD's...this would be awful.

^ LMAO. But honestly, I haven't really noticed the downfall of CD & DVD prices here. When a DVD here is new, it costs around 18 euros (24 dollars) and a new CD is usually around the same price (24 dollars). That's why I always order from play.com, they sell the same CD's but way cheaper + no shipping costs. Sorry, that was off-topic.

So, it could be possible this new console won't be able to play PS3 games + games that have been used? What kind of crap is that? Not everyone can afford every 80 dollar game they want. Be happy they still play the original copy and don't go pirating your stuff :/ People buy everything used, TV's, games, CD's, DVD's...this would be awful.

I don't think that this is as terrible as people are making it out to be.

First off, I completely understand why game companies are trying to kill off used games. When you pay $60 for a game, $60 doesn't going into the developers pocket.

efnxn6.jpg

I can not vouch for the reliability of facts stated in that image, but either way it is clear that the developer get such a small percentage of the money that was spent on the game.

Now lets say you buy a used game. Guess what, all of that money goes to the retailer. The publisher and developer get nothing and you are in turn really only supporting the store you bought the game from. If it really that strange that game companies want to end this? Maybe it wasn't such a big deal before, but the profit margins on games are becoming smaller and smaller as development costs go up. And lets remember, the goal of a game company at its core is to make money.

Now here the reason people buy used games: They are cheaper. I understand that, but are they really? The company for used games in the US is Gamestop. I know there are a ton of smaller and mom and pop places where you can get games for cheaper, but lets face it, Gamestop dominates that market.

Now lets compare the price of new games on Amazon vs used games at Gamestop. Lets say my house burned down and I wanted to rebuy all of my PS3 games. Logic would say I would save a ton of money by buying used, right? (Note: Often on amazon you could get the game for cheaper new, but I only chose the number offered under Amazon prime):

Assassin's Creed II:

Amazon: $17.28

Gamestop: $14.99

Bayonetta:

Amazon: $14.96

BlazBlue: calamity trigger:

Amazon: $18.82

Gamestop: $12.99

Catherine:

Amazon: $29.99

Gamestop: $27.99

Final Fantasy XIII:

Amazon: $19.38

Gamestop: $19.99

Gran Turismo 5:

Amazon: $30.39

Gamestop: $26.99

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus: (Interestingly, I paid $20 for this at Best Buy on the release day)

Amazon: $39.50

Gamestop: $34.99

Katamari Forever:

Amazon: $15.99

Skate:

Amazon: $17.01

Gamestop: $9.99

Skate2:

Amazon: $18.53

Skate3:

Amazon: $19.23

Gamestop: $17.99

Street Fighter 4:

Amazon: $10.99

Gamestop: $9.99

Valkyria Chronicles

Amazon: $15.99

Gamestop: $24.99

Uncharted 1: (I bought 1 and 2 in a dual pack new for $20 at best buy, lol)

Amazon: $18.91

Uncharted 2:

Amazon: $20.94

Gamestop: $24.99

Uncharted 3:

Amazon: $44.95

Gamestop: $54.99

Total:

Amazon: $352.73

Gamestop: $335.85

Look at that, Gamestop came out slightly cheaper by $16.88. Oh, but Amazon has no sales tax, so we need to at the %5 sales tax in WI...which would be 16.80...So in the end Amazon is 8 cents more expensive. I would have payed the $20 difference to get all new games vs used and no one in their right mind would buy used over new to save 8 cents. I didn't plan this out before hand, so I had no idea it was going to be this close, but I'll be damned if it doesn't prove my point.

Now if you are skeptical about a game system working without the sales of used games, I present you example A: Steam. At the moment there are 4,272,244 steam users that are getting along just fine with out used games. Why? Because the lack of used games does NOT mean that you still can't get games for cheap. Steam has it's infamous sales that allow you to snag so many great games for super cheap, they aren't used, and the developer and publisher still get money. A win-win situation.

Ok, I am done ranting...I think I have made my point. :D

I get the point and it might seem like a smart marketing move at first, but there are two things I'm really worried about when used games become... useless.

First, say in 10 years from now, if you want to discover some older games or re-play games of which you lost the original copy, you'd have to own a brand new copy not yet signed to a particular console! Now where would you find that? They would become extinct or you'd have to go through a LOT of trouble. Of course the game might be available as a paid download, but I'm sure they'll eventually drop many titles simply because they're too old and few people buy them. So your only hope remains a physical copy.

Second and most importantly (to me), what if "John" wants to lends a certain new game to "Jane" so she can give it a trial run. What's the harm in that? Jane might even like the game so much she'll eventually buy her own copy. But this would become impossible if they decided only one system could run that copy. Of course Jane could come over to John's house and play it there, but that's not always the most convenient option.

I do not like this idea at all. I hope it remains a rumor and won't become reality.

^ They might do a thing where you can play a "limited trial demo" if you don't sync the game with your console. Stupid, but it'd still get the job done. I agree with you though, I hope this rumor stays a rumor.

Then again I see where Ito is coming from too...

Sony financial situation is really bad now. I don't think they will take many risks. And pissning the retailers off by making the machine not capable of running used games is quite risky. I don't think they will make a machine that is a huge advancement in therms of power. At least it won't be a jump as huge as the original PS3 was.

First, say in 10 years from now, if you want to discover some older games or re-play games of which you lost the original copy, you'd have to own a brand new copy not yet signed to a particular console! Now where would you find that? They would become extinct or you'd have to go through a LOT of trouble. Of course the game might be available as a paid download, but I'm sure they'll eventually drop many titles simply because they're too old and few people buy them. So your only hope remains a physical copy.

I will use Steam as the prime example as to why this wont necessarily happen. On Steam, games are tied to your account, not your system. You just need to register your steam on all the systems you use, and bam, you are good to go. I aren't going to lose any of those games. Also, the old games don't disappear. They stay there, you can buy them just like any other game. You can buy the original Half-Life, Doom, Unreal Tournament 2004. They stand to make a profit just by keeping all the games possible available to you, they aren't going to take them away. Sure, they might not all be the super cheap, bargain basement used games of last gen, but at the same time you will never see the sky high insanely rare collectors game. I am not saying what you are worried about might not happen, but I am saying that there are already all digital gaming mediums that this isn't a problem.

Second and most importantly (to me), what if "John" wants to lends a certain new game to "Jane" so she can give it a trial run. What's the harm in that? Jane might even like the game so much she'll eventually buy her own copy. But this would become impossible if they decided only one system could run that copy. Of course Jane could come over to John's house and play it there, but that's not always the most convenient option.

That is a problem. Most games these days have demos, though, which mostly solve this problem. Sure, some games don't have demos, but to be totally honest, those are normally games that don't need demos to build hype and excitement over their games, their sales are pretty much guaranteed. I would be sad about not being able to lend a friend my game, but to be totally honest, I haven't ever really wished "man, I wish I could lend this person my game from steam" ever. That and Steam has guest passes that you can use sometimes, which are awesome. It essentially give the guest full access to the game for a short period of time.

I am not saying that a system with no used games will be perfect, but I don't think our current system is perfect either.

Read this articles if you are interested more about how Valve's pricing scheme, by offering games for very cheap, has benefited both the player and the developer.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... pers-and-p

Honestly, if this does happen, I think people will be bitching and moaning at first. That said, if it is done well (i.e. Steam), I think people will quickly forget why they were against it in the first place.

Sign in to follow this