Sign in to follow this  
stylelover

Bring me the Horizon

I liked the album a lot, even though the lyrics were more like something out of tumblr x)
"You make me wanna slit my wrist and play in my own blood."
Kinda corny,but still really enjoyable, I liked all the tracks :3

My favorites are Drown, What You Need, Happy Song, True Friends, Blasphemy and Oh No.

At first I thought it was a good album and I was convinced it was going to grow on me but holy shit it didn't. I still enjoy like 3 songs off the album but that's it, really mediocre stuff overall

Kind of ended up really liking That's the Spirit but it's not able to make me forget about Sempiternal. I'm fairly sure they'll never be able to surpass the greatness of that album for me. Fave tracks are Run, Throne, and Drown though.

Been with them since they released their first album (was also around the time I saw them live for the first time) but I've never cared much for Count Your Blessings. I guess it was a fine album live, back when he could still do it live, but to listen to it's just a mess.

I can get the idea that people want them to go back to their older self but to ask for another Count Your Blessings while the gap in music style hasn't ever been bigger just comes over as a little child demanding its sweets to be from one specific store which has gone bankrupt years back. The whining won't stop and they'll never be satisfied either. Just move on.

Either way, got my tickets for their upcoming show here and considering it's been a few years since I've been able to see them live, I'm curious.

At first I thought it was a good album and I was convinced it was going to grow on me but holy shit it didn't. I still enjoy like 3 songs off the album but that's it, really mediocre stuff overall

Totally besides the point but... Belgium!

That feel when you read something really fucking stupid and you go "Who's this douche... Oh it's me from four years ago". 

Very disappointing to see how they went straight to the alt rock deep end with this album. Sempiternal seemed like the rare occurrence of a band that's in the verge of totally selling out to find a comfort zone that made almost everyone happy. I'm no musical reactionary by any means and my suggestion for them wouldn't have been to "play that heavy shit" again, but there most certainly were other places to take that sound they got than just straight up 2015 BMTH plays: Linkin Park.

There are moments in'ere when I'll be able to zone out and dig songs like Oh No, Drown and Doomed... But fucking hell when when something like Blasphemy comes up and I can just feel my spine cracking from the chills because it's just so fucking lame. 

Nevertheless the first two are quintessential scene classics beyond reproach, monuments of an age gone by, and there'll never be a time when I'm drunk and can't lose my mind to Pray For Plagues. As long as Chelsea Smile stays in the set I'll be seeing them live again in November.

I love how polarizing this band has been throughout their career. And while I feel some of the negativity they received was unfounded or exaggerated, it was that negativity that helped them get bigger and bigger and it seems to be continuing with That's The Spirit. 

I admit I was disappointed the band did not continue with the direction of Sempiterenal. For me Sempiterenal remains the best album they've done, but I actually did enjoy That's The Spirit. I know the band gets flack for dropping the whole metalcore thing but if you can get over that fact, you'll realize That's The Spirit is actually a pretty good album. At this point they're pretty much alternative rock, but its still enjoyable. I do miss oli's emotional screaming like furik mentioned, and I kinda wish the lyrics were better, but they fit the songs and direction of the album more despite not being as deep. I feel like oli was listening to Brand New ever since Sempiterenal, but waterdowned their lyrical style on this album to be more easily digestible. 

One of the annoying things I've come across is the whole linkin park comparison. None of the album sounds like linkin park except maybe Throne, but if you go back to There Is A Hell, you'll realize that song is a logical progression of the electronica sound they have been experimenting with since that album. 

The only more annoying thing than the linkin park comparison is the whole go back to the Count Your Blessing sound. For me that's the bands worst album. It's a meh deathcore album at its best. It's the least lyrical and musical release in their discography, which is not surprising since it was their first album, and the amateur production doesn't help that release. If i want something heavy from this band I'll listen to Suicide Season, whose grindcore influence I love on that release and which was miles ahead of Count Your Blessing in every way.

I really do wish i could see these guys live though. Every time they play in NYC, their shows sell out before I get a chance to purchase tickets. Oh well, someday I'll get my chance. 

One of the annoying things I've come across is the whole linkin park comparison. None of the album sounds like linkin park except maybe Throne, but if you go back to There Is A Hell, you'll realize that song is a logical progression of the electronica sound they have been experimenting with since that album.

BMTH has been quite open about LP and how heavy of an influence they had on the band ever since There is A Hell/Sempiternal era though (it doesn't take a genius to open up NME/Gigwise and google up Oli's own take on behind-the-scenes hulabaloos). Therefore, allusions to LP soundalikes are actually given and justified at this point - why so sour?

"There is a hell" followed by "Sempiternal" is by far one of the greatest back to backs, ive ever heard from a band. Such growth, such umph, such darkness, such emotion. I'm very pleased "That's the Spirit" did not continue in the track of Sempiternal. It was a smart move. And Oli Sikes as well as the band are in a completely different space as people, especially Oli who was addicted to drugs for a LONG time.  I feel like a lot of the exaggerated negativity towards this album comes from people forgetting that while these guys are renowned musicians, their personal lives influence their music as well. That's the Spirit is indeed a drastic step from Sempiteral but at the same time its very genuine and they still managed to make it so that you can distinguish it as a BMTH album. 

I was also skeptical about it but I sat down and listened to it with an open mind, NOT comparing to older material and it just won major points with how listenable it was. 

Also, I had the pleasure of seeing them live last week and I must say, the new songs mixed in with the old ones makes for one hell of a set. The crowd was ridiculously hype and us and the band had an amazing time. Easily one of the best shows i've attended since seeing Dir en grey back in 2013. 

BMTH has been quite open about LP and how heavy of an influence they had on the band ever since There is A Hell/Sempiternal era though (it doesn't take a genius to open up NME/Gigwise and google up Oli's own take on behind-the-scenes hulabaloos). Therefore, allusions to LP soundalikes are actually given and justified at this point - why so sour?

It's not because a band gets inspiration from another band that they automatically sound like that band.

I have been listening to LP from their first album. I grew up with them. But whenever I see people comment on how BMTH has become another LP the only reason for me to even give thought to it is because they both progressed in a way the fans didn't want them to. "I don't like it. I didn't like LP's progression either. They're just trying to be another LP" Nothing about That's the Spirit is LP. There is not one song on the album I could see Chester sing or Mike rap to. LP is LP and BMTH is BMTH. They don't sound the same. This is not a case of Sadie being Diru fanboys and trying to recreate a similar sound like them half the time. It's just simply like Panda said. The transition from Suicide Season, to There is a Hell, to then Sempiternal (with additional twist) and now That's the Spirit. Nothing feels wrong with it. It's an evolution of a band as a band. Of its members as members.

BMTH had the guts to do their thing and grow. Yes, let people complain about their changing styles. Let them say they'd rather hear the older albums than the new ones. That's all just a personal opinion. But the problem lies with people demanding things they just don't want to admit themselves won't ever happen again. What 20 year old Oli screamed and screeched on Count Your Blessings is obviously not what 29 year old Oli does. News flash: 9 years do things. People grow.

It's not because a band gets inspiration from another band that they automatically sound like that band.

I have been listening to LP from their first album. I grew up with them. But whenever I see people comment on how BMTH has become another LP the only reason for me to even give thought to it is because they both progressed in a way the fans didn't want them to. "I don't like it. I didn't like LP's progression either. They're just trying to be another LP" Nothing about That's the Spirit is LP. There is not one song on the album I could see Chester sing or Mike rap to. LP is LP and BMTH is BMTH. They don't sound the same. This is not a case of Sadie being Diru fanboys and trying to recreate a similar sound like them half the time. It's just simply like Panda said. The transition from Suicide Season, to There is a Hell, to then Sempiternal (with additional twist) and now That's the Spirit. Nothing feels wrong with it. It's an evolution of a band as a band. Of it's members as members.

BMTH had the guts to do their thing and grow. Yes, let people complain about their changing styles. Let them say they'd rather hear the older albums than the new ones. That's all just a personal opinion. But the problem lies with people demanding things they just don't want to admit themselves won't ever happen again. What 20 year old Oli screamed and screeched on Count Your Blessings if obviously not what 29 year old Oli does. News flash: 9 years do things. People grow.

dhMeAzK.gif

This is my only response to this. Yes, just everything about it...yes. 

The above was pretty much my thinking. It's not the fact that they draw influence from linkin park, who I love, but the fact people having been comparing That's The Spirit to LP, when like I mentioned before, none of the songs sound like a LP song. The only things they have in common is that both bands are alternative rock now and use electronica. However, each band still has their own sonic identity. BMTH may be influenced by the band, but they always have sounded like BMTH, even on That's The Spirit. It's this exaggeration of the bands new release to LP that rubs me the wrong way because their album really doesn't sound anything at all like LP. And I find most of the people making this comparison are those who aren't pleased with BMTH's new direction, which is fine, but I find it a very very large stretch to compare That's The Spirit to LP. It's like people are just grabbing at straws. 

Guest lynchisizer

nope, the new album just didn't do it for me... it feels more like an pop album to me, and I never could get into pop... way too much synthesizers and plastic drums, and cheesy Asking Alexandria-esque choruses... nope, sorry, not my cup of tea, the only song which I thought it was ok is Throne, but the main problem that I have with this song is that it reminds me of One Ok Rock, and OOR is a band that I always thought to be way too overrated...

Oh my teenager years! At the time I was thinking that this dudes were super hardcore. I was wrong.
But I was before I get into more extreme things such as cannibal corpse and suicide silence for instance. 

I discovered them with suicide season, and I liked it a lot. I'm not really into their remix album execept for a few songs like "It was written in blood". This album to me is kinda earlyish dubstep experimentation and I do appreciate it even if now it sounds a bit has been. There is a hell was a great album too, but it's not my favourite. Even if there is good songs on it, I don't know exactly why but I'm still a bit "meeeh" when I listen to it. Their masterpiece ? Sempiternal in my opinion. The emotions in this album are really really strongs. I was very disapointed by That's the spirit. This album is weak, and I only really like 2 songs on this record : Throne and Drown. True friends is okay too but the rest is just too cheesy and soft for me.

Time to update this thread with this new live video:

The comments are gold "Oli improved!!"

No, it's just playback xD

I'm no hater btw, I really like That's The Spirit, and their past albums too.

But I consider this band as a studio band, not a live band at this point. I wouldn't pay a cent to see them live.

4 hours ago, eiheartx said:

Time to update this thread with this new live video:

The comments are gold "Oli improved!!"

No, it's just playback xD

I'm no hater btw, I really like That's The Spirit, and their past albums too.

But I consider this band as a studio band, not a live band at this point. I wouldn't pay a cent to see them live.

In my opinion you don't go to their lives for Oli's voice but for the atmosphere they create as a band with the crowd. Saw them again earlier this year and it's still pretty amazing. Especially the moments where the crowd sings along in unison.

To say he's improved is ridiculous though I do have to admit that there's parts that sound really nice live. (yes, live, not playback) Tbh, I enjoy their lives way more since Sempiternal came out than before.

Sign in to follow this