Flame-X

Sword Art Online

sword-art-online-1.jpg

Wv8u5bY8Now

I noticed many of you have started watching Sword Art Online, so why not have a discussion thread about it? :)

This anime generated lots of anticipation before its airing because of its high production values and the build-up fanbase from its light novel. There's just no anime of summer 2012 that can compete with this.

Since most of you guys who listed this series as your current anime watches, I wanted to know what your thoughts on it so far. I'll start off with mine.

I'll be honest, when I first heard of this show, I was rather skeptical of the concept because shows like the .hack series bored the hell outta me. But I decided to watch it anyways mainly for the animation. I have to say, the first ep immediately caught my attention due to its premise. Here you have a life threatening situation in a virtual MMO game with no means of escape other than beating it. That builds up lots of tension and a sense of doom unlike other past animes using virtual MMO concept (like .hack for example). Other thing I should mention in the first ep is the players' true physical identities being revealed which is absolutely hilarious because it reflects on our reality of online gaming. This is definitely the strongest first episode I've seen in animes in years. I thoroughly enjoyed the first three eps, however eps 4-7 felt very filler-ish. I'm not sure if they're trying to get all the side stories outta the way but those four episodes were very weak compared to the first three. My favorite ep out of the seven is 3. It was pretty depressing but very well done handling character developments and touching moments.

So without having me babble on and on, I want to know what you guys think about Sword Art Online so far. Any thoughts?

Tried and after one episode i pretty much loved it , i' m gonna wait till the show is finished before watching it though as i currently have so much to watch as it is, by then i'll have a clearer schedule.

Ep8.

I'm glad the show finally got back to its track. I was getting sick of the "new girl of the week" eps and filler stories. I hope Asuna's bodyguard bites the dust soon cuz he's really an irritating creepo.

Ep8.

I'm glad the show finally got back to its track. I was getting sick of the "new girl of the week" eps and filler stories. I hope Asuna's bodyguard bites the dust soon cuz he's really an irritating creepo.

THIS ! I was talking with some friends about SAO a few days ago and we concluded the same think ! It's like SAO lost his "MMORPG" feeling and it was more like a slice-of-life harem anime... For a moment, I thought Sword Art Online should be renamed Love Art Online xD

But yeah with SAO ep8 & 9, we're finally back to what this anime should be, fights ! Now I wonder what will happen between Kirito and the guild master of Asuna's guild...

Also, according to myanimelist, SAO will have 25 episodes and not 12-13 episodes as planned in the beginning.

Ep 9 has got some pretty nice fight scenes but there's 1 thing that's bothering me. Asuna has been inconsistent in the way she's being depicted here. The first time you see her, she's strong, brave, and willing throughout but here she's like a defenseless kitten who hides behind Kirito screaming and breaking down into tears. What happened to her? The choice should be her's to leave the guild party, not the leader's. This is just an example of badly written female character.

Ep 12 has gotta be the worst ep of the series by far. Yui, the useless loli moe blob, isn't even a character. She's just a prop required to emotionally manipulate the characters and the viewers. Her death was hardly tragic due to the fact that's she's an AI and the holes to her reasoning makes it flawed.

Have you seen ep15 already? What the hell will go on with this anime ?

And the Asuna drama about her wedding, what kirito's going to do??.

And this fairy version of SAO LMAO!!

Wahh changes a lot of things but I still wanna know more!! >///< :wan-22: --> (me each episode)

EDIT:

extra picture :lol:

tumblr_mbxifsK2tE1ral9w0o1_500.jpg

Honestly I'm at the edge of dropping this show. Previous arc was a wasted potential due to being rushed and anti-climatic. And now we have a potential incest as well as a looney toons villain. A father who's okay with her comatose daughter marrying some creep? Seriously? Just how in the world Kirito recover in mere 2 months after being in a comatose for more than 2 years? Rehabilitation shouldn't be that quick and easy. Logic doesn't apply to this show.

How did this series get so far from where it started? :(

I already dropped it, show started out amazingly but i did not expect all these stupid time skips which annoy me to no end, plus alot of other little things that are bugging me.......i'll just play the game that's on the way out, xD.

first half was good. onto the second half... bring on the elf ears.

I'm quite disappointed the lead female character has changed from being strong.. to caged.

-EDIT- If you are refering to the youtube video I posted, then the following comment makes sense. If not, then ignore me XD

If you want to hear someone rip on SAO, then sure lol.

Guest lynchisizer

probably one of the most overrated animes ever in my opinion -.- it had potential, but then it got destroyed by turning into a stupid annoying romance where nothing else was important but "kirit! Asuna! Kirito! Asuna!" ...ugh...

On a better note, the second season is a whole lot better than the first so far! I mean that's not saying much honestly... but I can somewhat tolerate the second season and it actually has a few epsiodes that I have really genuinely liked so far.

But yes the series is really overrated, all my casual anime friends think it is the greatest thing under the sun and nothing else compares to it... I just roll my eyes and say "sure, whatever you say dude". XD

My sis is obsessed with it but all I can see, as others have already said, is the .hack series. I didn't really enjoy that so I haven't given it a chance.