CAT5

VK and Kpop....why?

J-music also is influenced by traditional Japanese

Kpop, on the other hand, makes music for as many people as possible.

not really

I've personally known quite a few people who listened almost exclusively to VK out of Japanese music and then went to listening exclusively to Kpop, or some combination.   I think those are the ones I draw certain conclusions about lol, and the reason behind this thread.  But if Kpop and/or VK is just part of your musical palate, whatever, it doesn't matter it's all music.

I'm less into Kpop than other types of pop (still like more Chinese and Japanese pop) mostly bc I think the girl pop from Korea is awful in comparison.  Also, the more current groups within the last few years have been a lot more appealing musically to me than the ones in the 00s-12 time period.  I also still like current VK, but I listen to way more indie and mainstream Japanese rock than VK in general.  And I probably listen to more Korean and Japanese rap than pop for the most part too lol.

As for visuals...I personally don't really engage with music much aside from listening to it, so I don't watch many PVs or anything like that.

I listen to both VK and kpop and I see the same problem...

I guess people go from vkei to kpop because the male groups their also have an unconventional aesthetic, like vkei musicians do?

I personally, love vkei more than kpop. Kpop fans tend to be obnoxious (not all, but certain fandoms are just ugh) while vkei things are  a lot more chill. I also appreciate the fact that many vkei musicians are artists, since they create their own music. 

I can't stand most jpop so that's why I'm drawn to female kpop groups. I don't hate pop, but sometimes I like a small break from vkei. I'm pretty picky with both genres, but it's good to have diverse tastes :D

I find all the group Kpop dreadful. If I ever quit VK and go to Kpop, you have my permission to find me and kick me in the face.

I don't like the sound of the Korean language but I do listen to a tiny number of Korean solo R&B artists because the beats and/or the singing are good.

Mostly, I'm really salty that shit-tier Kpop got trendy in North America, so my dumbass Facebook friends post BIGBANG PVs and bond over them, while they ignore me when I talk about Japanese/Chinese music. 

This was one of the reasons I quit Facebook. >:(

↑ People always ignore Chinese music, that makes me salty in general. 

And ugh I loooooathe Big Bang. I have nfi why they're so popular, but then again I never have understood why Diru and Gazette are the mainstays of VK either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i always assumed it was just "oooh hot guys" as has been mentioned already. like a lot of people don't really care too much about the music or talent and just want to be a fan of whoever they think is the best-looking at the time and their taste in men's looks changed.

personally i've been a casual k-pop listener for a long time but i'm not a huge fan of k-pop. i enjoy some of the music in a casual way like i'd listen to it while i'm doing something else and buy some CDs but i wouldn't go out of my way to buy merchandise or know the names of all the group members i'm listening to. also i lived in korea for a year and you can't avoid it there and i ended up with a lot of k-pop in my head all the time that i ended up liking. i went to one k-pop show when i lived in korea and it was possibly the most terrifying experience of my life. the show itself was fine from what i could see of it (being in a crowd of 30,000+ people waving their arms and phones in front of me) but k-pop fans in general are just scary..

if i'm going to be INTO a music group though i'd rather spend my money and effort on artists who play instruments and write music rather than artists who memorise dance routines and pretend to sing half the time and are pretty much forced on the general public by big companies with money. i don't have a problem with enjoying pop music, it just feels less worth my money to me to actually go to shows.

I'm late to the party but here's my two cents.

I am a YG stan, one because I only have time to keep up with one company and two, I like the way the company markets it's musicians. I am also into vkei and Japanese music. For me, I enjoy music for what it is. BIGBANG isn't very deep a lot of the time but it's catchy to listen to. And the same thing that happens with vkei bands happens with kpop groups, once you get to learn about all the members, you find yourself emotionally invested and start to follow a certain person *coughTOPcough*. I think a lot of East Asian musical groups market themselves in this way so it's easy to make the move from vkei to kpop. Not only is it a visual genre of music but they are selling the members, not just the group. It has a lot to do with fanservice and a lot to do with connecting with fans. I feel like Western music does have it's few bands and musicians who do this but for the most part, it's something heavily marketed in the East Asian world (specifically Japan and Korea).

I also feel like people who don't mind listening to niche Japanese bands can get into kpop groups because their mind is already open to following a band or group that might not speak their language. I think kpop is probably easier to get into these days because their looks more closely mirror their Western counterparts, so it's not such a stretch. Whereas a lot of vkei looks crazy out there for someone who has never heard of it. 

I feel like a lot of people don't think you can appreciate music if you like pop but I mean, it is what it is. I like a deep emotional ballad as much as the next person but sometimes I wanna twerk to pop-trap wannabe Korean trash. 

I need to answer this! I'm happy that this many people are discussing on this topic.

I've also been wondering this suddenchange for a while. Few years ago I used to have many friends listening VK but something happened & k-pop came. Most of my VK listening friends suddenly changed completely to listen only k-pop. It really seems weird for me because I knew that usually those persons weren't listening that much pop-ish music at all.

Why can't people just listen both genres at the same time? That I'd understand... But suddenly changing one genre of music/abandoning it and start to listencompletely different one? Hm. For me, I really don't get k-pop. Meh.

because they both are a bit big different

though some time its the same though fans will like it because its asians in makeup

both fans are thisty

tumblr_n8zxpqbebk1tg1t8yo1_500.gif

tumblr_n7j1eo4CYd1tn828uo1_500.gif

12960077_266008193743338_918725288_n.jpg

In the community I used to be a part of it was a common trend for people to "grow out of" VK and move to Kpop, and I always found this pattern absolutely nauseating. The way people always expressed it was that VK was kind of a phase for their "younger self" and now that they're more mature they've started to like Kpop. 

I always found myself asking why that is. How is it more mature to like groups that have almost 0 musical talent versus liking bands that at least try to musically accomplish something, although only a fraction of them succeeds?

Because of this whole "maturity" reason I personally really tried jumping into the bandwagon, but I think I missed and hit my head or something. Ended up listening to Kpop for 3 months and then giving up because it just wasn't fulfilling anything within me. And back then I only listened to F.T. Island and C.N. Blue, that at least played their own instruments. 

And due to my social experiment I'm on a pedestal where I can freely judge anyone who listens to Kpop. Ya know, I honestly tried to like it, but couldn't. It just sucks. The same way as Justin Bieber sucks.

Actually... I've never listened to Justin Bieber so I shouldn't say...

My point was, I don't understand it, switching from VK to Kpop. There's literally no reason for it.

i don't like kpop simply because i don't like pop. i very rarely like visual kei pop or jpop, but when i do it's just due to me browsing and finding something with a really nice beat that i happen to like. happened to me with kiryu and smileberry lmao. but i'm majorly into metal and rock. i love instruments more than i do a bunch of guys or girls singing and dancing.

as for looks? i'll admit i'm more drawn to VK because of the extremity of it all. it's really cool to me ok

one more reason is that i hate majority of the kpop fan base. not all, but the creepy-ass obnoxious ones for sure. sure some VK fans act just as unpleasantly as kpop fans, buut avoiding those are a lot easier. it's just really extreme and IN YO FACE in the kpop fandom, i've noticed