0rei

Do any of you seriously wish you are Japanese?

I wish to speak, read, and write Japanese fluently, but I don't wanna go as far as to be Japanese. From what I hear, it's a shit place, and Asians are hot too, but I don't consider myself ~*~*~transethnic~*~*, cuz that's just retarded. I'm happy being white, even though I'm not too happy with my appearance.

Interesting question. I've always wanted to be able to read and write Japanese but never really wanted to be Japanese. I am happy with my own ethnicity, even if I'm just a little, plain British girl hah. I've always wished to live in Japan though, or anywhere in Asian and not where I've always lived here. To be able to easily find and purchase their music, clothes and DVDs, go to concerts and events and look around the area makes me really jelly of everyone who lives there. But not exactly to be born Japanese, although, some TV series and movies have made me want to grow up there aha. : 3

On 11/4/2013 at 2:00 AM, lichtlune said:

I would like their facial features like eyes and nose.

Bump. Ain't that the truth. Do I fucking ever. 

I live in a breathe visual kei, it's ingrained into every inch of cell and particle of my being. It's the sole framework of my thinking and being, to the point where it's a constant state of misery and a daily assault of grief on the senses that all I see in myself is a starving cereal crop farmer in destitute, begging for bark bread by the savonian wayside. I couldn't give a toss about Japan, its culture or being Japanese per se, but being this agendered creature of the night, drinking and porking fangirls left and right, constantly alludes me by racial design. The asian hair is evolution's greatest creation; I however am most certainly doom'd to the premature balding and eventual disappearance of my shitty garbage of a wavy hair type.  

All I'm amiss was the fortune of being born there with the features and all that comes with it, so I could gather the courage to live the way I wish to. It is for this reason that I sort of lowkey admire yohio, because he went out and did it, despite his receding hairline and lack of discernable talent. Whether or not his music is utter shite ( it is ) is secondary, because that's not what vk is about anyway :angely:

Wouldn't mind mastering language 2. It's already enough trouble as it is to keep the two I'm cursed with in shape.

hmm, having asian eyes would make doing visual kei-styled eye makeup much easier. my eye shape is the WORST

otherwise, i'm pretty happy being myself as i already am.

Edited by itsukoii

This is an interesting question. I'm happy with who I am but I know when I was younger I'd think often times if I had grown up in another country how different I'd be but I've never wanted to actually be Japanese or any other ethnicity.

i do know a few people who want surgery for aesthetic side of being Asian... 

i only think about it when i sometimes wonder what it'd be like to grow up in a country where i wasn't the minority all the time. otherwise, i don't necessarily have a strong desire to be japanese.

There are a lot of things I wish, but I don't wish to be Japanese. Seriously if you gave me three wishes right now, I'd wish for a lot of money, fluency in Japanese language, and to be thinner. That would solve literally all of my problems both within my interest in visual kei and in my life in general. Because I also incorporate visual kei into my personal style, I get accused a lot of trying to be Japanese or even trying to trick people into thinking I'm Japanese. The truth is, I'll be the first to admit I'm just a chubby white American with some niche interests and I'm not ashamed of that. 

I'm half Chinese, so I already look fairly Asian (to Canadian people, at least), and there are actually a shocking amount of Japanese culture nerds in Toronto, so I can't say I've ever really felt alone in this hobby/obsession or like life would be better if I was Japanese.

I really like where I live. It's probably mostly because I just moved out of the suburbs, but I just feel like there's so much potential here right now.

Edited by violetchain

LoL, why bother being Japanese ?

Thanks to my mom and dad, i have got

this body.

With this body, I can even go to MOON

( if i am lucky enough )

------------------------------------------------

57%

------------------------------------------------

I wish I was born in Japan/lived in Japan, but I do not wish to be Japanese. I am very proud of my latino boobs, thank you very much.

Seiously though, I'd hate being not only flat as a board but pressured to be submissive and dumb by society. I already hate it in latin america, I couldn't survive it if I were Japanese.

2 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Visual Kei is a minority in it's own country. Sorry to burst your bubble, pal

that wasn't exactly what i was referring to.......i mostly meant in terms of race since i'm asian living in a white dominant country. so i sometimes wonder what it'd be like if i grew up in an asian country instead, like japan for instance.

1 hour ago, plastic_rainbow said:

that wasn't exactly what i was referring to.......i mostly meant in terms of race since i'm asian living in a white dominant country. so i sometimes wonder what it'd be like if i grew up in an asian country instead, like japan for instance.

Ah yes, it does suck to be a racial minority :/

Nope. I just wish I knew how to speak Japanese fluently.

I mean what's the point? I'd be an outcast anyway since I'm into visual kei and dress gyaru, IN FACT being a foreigner works in my favor because I can just tell people my bleached blonde hair is real and they'd believe me. And plus I don't understand/agree with a lot of nuances with the culture (though they are minor) and I can get away with not following them because I'm not Japanese. My Japanese friends that have the same interests as me have a really hard time dealing with those kind of things. Also I do like telling people my ethnicity and them being curious because I'm ~exotic~ lol

Nah, I only wish I was totally fluent in Japanese. Japan is an awesome place to visit... I spent most of my time there just walking the streets and going into random little shops and restaurants. The only big problem was that I am Chinese, so naturally Japanese people assumed I was Japanese and thought I was a lost dumbass who couldn't understand them well. It was a different experience from what I've heard Caucasians say - that random people would sometimes come up to them eagerly trying to help them out and practice their English. That could've been a fun thing to happen to me, but it wouldn't happen unless I had a big sign that said "I AM CANADA GAIJIN PRACTICE EIGO HERE"

Anyway, going to school in Japan (and Asia in general) sounds like a special kind of hell, and they still have a ways to go with respect to women's rights. i.e. attitudes towards women's roles in the household and workplace. From what I hear. So I wouldn't really want to live and work there...

Nope. I live in Japan atm and enjoying my "fluent in japanese gaijin" life.

Japan is a really nice country to live in (and work, if you're a workaholic like me).

Nope. Would be nice to speak language fluently but that's not something you can't achieve living anywhere else.

I'm kinda jealous I can't see all my favorite bands because of the place I live in (my country is almost nonexistent to them) but that's my problem not only limited to Japanese music. xD But that thing about lack of body hair would be nice.

Also being born in other country wouldn't guarantee developing the same interests and taste in various stuff. Different society, family, friends and so on. I'd rather just go on vacation there someday.

So which aspect of Japanese population are you OPs and other supporters referring to? Looks? All the same for us I guess - shouldn't we be proud for the race/genetics we were born in etc.?

As for being part of the Japanese demographic in the promising land of Nippon, I can assure you Europeans (not sure about Americans) that the easiest outlet to being "Japanese" in terms of mindset, social-cultural norms etc. for you would be just pretending to be me or some of us MH users:

A Finn.

Yes, hurray for our conformist tendencies! This could be of course understood more or less in a positive AND negative light as well.

inb4 someone thinks Imma Stormfront guy with assumptions on my race being related to Mongols/Azns in overall, kek.

Edited by Alroy

As parts of genetic - nah, i don't really care.

I would like to be Japanese because it would make living in Japan easier (or simply have a citizenship/PR). After living there for 2 years, moving back and realizing how difficult it is to move there without studies... bruh. At the same time, Sweden is a better country in many aspects, so I'm not 100% sure eitherway. What I do know is that despite being gaijin, i've never felt as home as I did during my 2 years in Tokyo.