Pretty much what the thread title implies: songs that have melodies taken from classical music ('classical' being used loosely here. Quite a few examples aren't classical and are either baroque or romantic). I'm making this because I want to see a compiled list, plus I'm tired of people saying 'this sounds like the melody of this song by __band name here__!!!' when said melody is actually not written by the aforementioned band at all. Most recent example that sparked me to actually do this: X's "Rose of Pain."

Any sort of Japanese music is welcome as a contribution.  :staru:

ANYWAY, the list. I'll start it, and if people would like to add more to it just post and I'll get around to updating this post as like a master thread or something. I'll probably also make a Last.fm journal with tags so more people can add to it as well and so it will be easier to find. This original list are just a few examples that I can think of off the top of my head. When I come across more I'll definitely add to it. Cannot wait to type out the 203040524524542 examples of "In the Hall of the Mountain King!"

Johann Sebastian Bach - ''Little'' Fugue in G minor, BMV 578

-ライチ☆光クラブ (Litchi Hikari Club) : "Dark Knight"

-Vidoll : "マユラ↓↑ピサロト"

-Werkmare : "Psychopath"

-X Japan : "Rose of Pain"

-Mucc: "Hana"

Bach - Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor

-Art Cube : "夢描写"

-Most of of Moi Dix Mois' discog

Mozart - Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, KV 550: I. Allegro Molto

-Hizaki : "Mizerable"

Dvořák - Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, Op. 95 (From the New World): IV. Allegro Con Fuoco

-凛 -the end of corruption world- (Rin / Lin -the end of corruption world-) : "Over the Rainbow"

Edvard Grieg - Op.46, In The Hall Of Mountain King

Like every vkei band ever.

CELL-セル- : "背徳と決断の意思"

Kaya : "Madam Rosa"

己龍 (The kiryu) : "桜絡ミ"

Rentrer en Soi : "精神死13度目"

Sleep my Dear : "Death"

ウォッカ (The Vodka) : "before vendetta[?]"

アヴァンチック (Avanchick): "アイドル"

Johannes Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 5

Dir en Grey : "Deity"

Raphael : "花咲く命ある限り"

Vallquar-ワルキューレ: "惨愴プレリュード"

Vidoll : "Love Affair"

Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D

Arc : "落書き教科書"

hide : "Rocket Dive"

L'arc en ciel : "Blurry Eyes"

Lmc : "Boys and Girls"

Moran : "Fender"

The Cherry Cokes : "Forward Again"

DEZERT: "チョコレートクリームチェーンソー"

Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D Major Op.35 (3rd Mov.)

Galneryus : "Angel of Salvation"

Mozart - Rondo Alla Turca

Malice Mizer : "Madrigal"

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Ode To Joy"

アヴァンチック (Avanchick): "人生ゲーム"

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

This is like my favorite song ever, so I've spent quite a lot of time finding songs that use its melody in it.

hide - Rocket Dive

Lmc - Boys and Girls

Moran - Fender

Raphael was really influenced by it on lots of songs

The Cherry Cokes - Forward Again

L'arc en ciel - Blurry Eyes

Like, almost every japanese pop rock song from the 90s

Not counting obvious ones like Jun Togawa's Mushi no Onna and Michiro Endo's Canon. And I'm sure I forgot lots of songs I have already heard that have the Canon on it... those are just the ones that first came to my mind

I'd also mention Erik Satie's Gymnopedie no 1, but I'm not really remembering the names of the tracks I listened to that were influenced by it

I'm terrible at classical music & composers so dunno who the original melody is by but:

MALICE MIZER's Madrigal from about 2:22 to 2:36 or so.

I've added everyone's suggestions to the list

@Wonre: ugghhh Canon in D brings back so many awful memories for me. I don't recall "Blurry Eyes" having any Pachelbel in it, though. I also added a song by Arc that uses the melody as the guitar solo which I had completely forgotten about until seeing your post. Zioovachi also has a song that's pretty much the same introduction but in a different key, but I'm trying keep it to just Vkei for now.

@ Jigsaw: That's taken from somewhere? I guess that kind of proves the point of my thread: showing where original melodies come from and learning about classical music :P I'll add it to the list once we actually know where it comes from.

I've added everyone's suggestions to the list

@Wonre: ugghhh Canon in D brings back so many awful memories for me. I don't recall "Blurry Eyes" having any Pachelbel in it, though. I also added a song by Arc that uses the melody as the guitar solo which I had completely forgotten about until seeing your post. Zioovachi also has a song that's pretty much the same introduction but in a different key, but I'm trying keep it to just Vkei for now.

@ Jigsaw: That's taken from somewhere? I guess that kind of proves the point of my thread: showing where original melodies come from and learning about classical music :P I'll add it to the list once we actually know where it comes from.

Many of the songs who use Canon have it as a sort of variation in the melody, it's generally not straightly ripped off, Blurry Eyes I think has it on the bassline, it's the same chord progression I believe(haven't listened to it in a lot of time, so I may be wrong, sorry)

I'll post more if I remember them, I have a list with non japanese songs based on it that I kept adding and it's really huge already... there's also many 90s vk pop/rock songs with it, I remember at least one Craze/Body song having it... it's on the same away as Rocket Dive or Green Day's basket case, probably on a different key, but I'm pretty sure the notes are there...

But yeah, the canon is almost a staple for pop music melodies so it kind of floods everywhere.

Also, there are some melodies which aren't classical but almost all oldschool vk bands have at least one track with those... the one that Aliene Mariage used on Suicide, for example, I'm pretty sure I've heard 1000 aggressive oldschool songs with that melody

@Peace seems like it comes from Mozart's "Rondo Alla Turca", skip to about 0:45 (or it just sounds super-similar xD).

Ohh, yes. That section is definitely from here. In a few interviews Mana said that he and Kozi were really influenced by classical and baroque music in the early stages of Malice Mizer, so there's little doubt that this wasn't done on purpose.

Not counting obvious ones like Jun Togawa's Mushi no Onna...

I'd also mention Erik Satie's Gymnopedie no 1, but I'm not really remembering the names of the tracks I listened to that were influenced by it

Just for good measure, we have to link to Jun Togawa's "

."  One of the most frightening songs ever.

Also, I hope you'll be able to remember any of the songs influenced by Gymnopedie. I'd love to hear some copy pasta'd riffs from Satie or even Debussy.

Here's a couple I thought of off the top of my head, Peace.

Canon in D: Misaruka - Kanon (shocking, right?)

Bach, "Air on the G String": Lily project - 

Chopin, "

": 네미시스 (nemesis) -

(Sorry, I know this one isn't "VK" per se, but the with the band's first vocalist here, it's VERY obvious what they were going for.)

Love this thread by the way, haha.

lol awesome thread XD

About Pachelbel's "Canon in D", I think we need to draw the line between the songs that simply use the descending 3rd sequence (the same chord progression) vs. the ones that also use the melody/arrangement quite closely enough to resemble Pachelbel's piece specifically. Although yes it's quite tricky, because the characteristic melodic gestures in "Canon in D" doesn't start until one-third to halfway through the piece, and most of the rest are just some long-ass chords (- _ -)

LM.C and Arc are definitely direct copy pasta. I would also consider "Fender" by Moran as pointing a reference directly "Canon in D", even though I don't know how much of it are copied directly, but for the entire song "Fender" uses string instruments that are doing legato gestures very similar to "Canon in D".

I'm not sure about The Cherry Cokes' "Forward Again" because I can't find the full song. If you're referring to the instrumental part with the keyboard(?) riff, I don't remember hearing that exact riff in "Canon in D" (I might be wrong, maybe I just didn't hear it because it's not the main melody). Same about hide's "Rocket Dive", if you're referring to the guitar riff 2.5 minutes into the song, I don't remember hearing the same thing in Pachelbel. As for L'arc's "Blurry Eyes", I don't think it's close enough for copy pasta-considerations.

Because if we say they're "copy pasta" just because of the chord progression, then we might as well also list every VK song with a descending 5th sequence chord progression (which is every other 90s VK song) and say they are "copy pasta'd" from every classical piece with a descending 5th sequence (which is every other classical piece ever). But I don't think that's fair to say, because using sequences is like just using music theory.

Oh almost forgot to add

新興宗教楽団NoGoD - 「夢見少女」, the guitar solo about 2 minutes into the song.

Whatchucallit, the hunting theme? Starts at 8:59 here v in Rossini's "William Tell Overture", Finale

that VK band AMADEUS had a song that was Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata w/ vocals but iforgot the name hehu

Johannes Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 5

Vallquar-ワルキューレ- 惨愴プレリュード

and also J-classic by ガガガガ (Gagaga) !

Luna Sea's standard live opener (as in PA intro (= the song that plays until all the members are ready and set)), "Gekkou" (as most setlist sources indicate) is basically Moonlight Sonata with D'n'B beats

I am gonna bet that Gazette's PEOPLE ERROR (outro off Stacked Rubbish) is heavily influenced by that classical piece as well.

Necroing this:  peace: http://youtu.be/wIN9cDjpx88?t=59s add this to your "Rondo Alla Turca" list :D

Sukekiyo's "hidden one" solo (in about 2:30) is this http://youtu.be/opKK871VO0A?t=2m15s (YUCHI confirmed it with co. in one of their ameblo interviews)

edit: I don't know if this is worth mentioning too, but Mucc's Sanbika (you cannot unhear that part) and Kuroyume's Sanbika (they sampled the actual choir version in the intro I think? ) "sampled" Schubert's Ave Maria.

edit2: http://youtu.be/likRbIf9Pik?t=2m15s this part till 2:50 =