Sign in to follow this  
SMKR33

(METAL) Killswitch Engage

Not THE BEST band ever.

C:

But Killswitch is good.

Gotta say, one of their best songs is "My Last Serenade".

Rose of Sharyn is the only decent song i've heard from them... rest sound likes At the Gates or Carcass guitar ripoffs with melodic singing in the choruses for more commercial appeal...

Rose of Sharyn is the only decent song i've heard from them... rest sound likes At the Gates or Carcass guitar ripoffs with melodic singing in the choruses for more commercial appeal...

Whaaaat? That comparison is a pretty big stretch. The only real correlation is that they both have a lot of riffs that pedal off of a root note, which has been pretty standard in metal since Judas Priest(probably even earlier, they're the just the earliest example that I can think of that abuses that kind of riff as much as modern metal bands). Even then, metalcore probably has much better examples to compare to At the Gates and Carcass. As for the overall sound, At the Gates and Carcass tend to stick to a harmonic minor scale whereas Killswitch tends to stick to a major scale. It makes a big difference.

A friend at school loves them. I borrowed her CDs and I liked a few songs. I like how they throw in clean vocals, but I was a bit taken aback when I found out their front man was black. He could be purple for all I care, but I though metalcore wouldn't be a genre anyone who isn't Caucasian would be into.

Really? Why no?`You find black people in all genres, especially in metal. Heavy, Death, Black, Metalcore and so on. And of course in Punk.

I dislike this band by the way. No soul at all, except on their first album which is decent. But nothing more than that. Give me old school metalcore instead. When metalcore was still good.

Because honestly, visual music is the only scene that I actively stalk everyone's personal lives, histories, connections, pictures, etc. The only post-hardcore, metal-core, death-core, etc bands I've seen have been made of up of tattooed ex-scene kids or pudgy white guys with neck beards. But as I said, I really don't look into more than the few bands my friends have introduced me into which is why it surprised me.

Well, black people in metal is awesome. Some of the first Black Metal bands had black people in them. Gotta love that!

If you don't mind Hardcore you should check out bands such as Earth Crisis and Hatebreed. Old Earth Crisis is the first wave of metalcore, when metalcore still had something to do with hardcore. Hatebreed started out as a hardcore band but is now a metalcore band.

But with these bands you can hear the hardcore influence, something that you can't on bands such as Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying and all those modern metalcore bands.

Earth Crisis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgPRoKY-SK0

Hatebreed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH6xjObDO9Q

I love this kind of metalcore where you can hear the hardcore punk and stuff. Yummy!

Sorry for beeing off topic, guys.

I love most of the stuff these guys put out. Except their last self titled which was just good. I felt something was missing from it and the sound production was questionable. Favorite albums definitely have to be their first self titled album with Jesse still on vocals and As Daylight Dies. Howard gave epic vocal performances on that album. Sucks he left the band.

On January 4, 2012, KSE announced via the band's official website, along with their other official sources, that Howard Jones had left the band after his nine-year membership with them

"To our family, friends and fans: We have decided to continue on without Howard Jones as the singer of Killswitch Engage. We love Howard and are thankful for the nine years that we've had him in the band. Out of respect for everyone involved we will not be discussing the specific reasons behind this decision. Howard is a part of our family and always will be, and we wish him well. He has left big shoes to fill, so we certainly have our work cut out for us to find the next singer of Killswitch, something we plan on making priority #1 going forward. Most importantly, thanks to all of you for all the support throughout the years and for sticking by us for all this time. We really do appreciate it and we very much look forward to having a new record for all of you in the not too distant future that we can all be proud of. Sincerely, Adam, Joel, Mike & Justin."

So I guess this means the new album will be delayed and they have to find a new singer. I wouldn't mind if they let Jesse back in the band after his stint with Adam on Times Of Grace.

Well, black people in metal is awesome. Some of the first Black Metal bands had black people in them. Gotta love that!

If you don't mind Hardcore you should check out bands such as Earth Crisis and Hatebreed. Old Earth Crisis is the first wave of metalcore, when metalcore still had something to do with hardcore. Hatebreed started out as a hardcore band but is now a metalcore band.

But with these bands you can hear the hardcore influence, something that you can't on bands such as Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying and all those modern metalcore bands.

Earth Crisis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgPRoKY-SK0

Hatebreed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH6xjObDO9Q

I love this kind of metalcore where you can hear the hardcore punk and stuff. Yummy!

Sorry for beeing off topic, guys.

Than maybe stop comparing melodic metalcore with metalcore , even in modern metalcore bands you still can hear the hardcore influence very easy . Melodic Metalcore is some scraps of metalcore added to melodic death metal , and it turned into its own genre that cant be compared to any of them , its like two white ppl somehow giving birth to black child . Also read something more about this band , they created they own unique sound that is even uncomparable to other melodic metalcore bands .

Haven't heard this band in a while, but I still can't believe Howard left the band...he was a terrific vocalist.

Howard Jones did and awesome song with Within Temptation and i highly recommend that song , also hes in a new band that some time ago released they first CD , a little change of sound did him good , Groove Metal and Melodic Metalcore .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHAKpMboJng

Well.... KSE we doing well with Howard, I was confused why he even left in the first place after saying that he was suffering from diabetes and stuff. so i was like OK..... You're ill and your stressed so you leave a band only to join up with another band within weeks or months??

His leaving KSE was so abrupt, Like one morning he got out of bed and totaly said he wouldnt do KSE anymore full stop.

But change is good anyway & it sounds like he really needed it after being with KSE for so long. At least he didnt quit of a falling out with the rest of the KSE members, Though I still think theres a lot Howard isnt telling the fans. I think the press release where he spoke about his condition is only half the truth.

Well.... KSE we doing well with Howard, I was confused why he even left in the first place after saying that he was suffering from diabetes and stuff. so i was like OK..... You're ill and your stressed so you leave a band only to join up with another band within weeks or months??

His leaving KSE was so abrupt, Like one morning he got out of bed and totaly said he wouldnt do KSE anymore full stop.

But change is good anyway & it sounds like he really needed it after being with KSE for so long. At least he didnt quit of a falling out with the rest of the KSE members, Though I still think theres a lot Howard isnt telling the fans. I think the press release where he spoke about his condition is only half the truth.

By his condition you mean his panic disorder? He may be keeping things to himself, but I'm just grateful he explained anything. Considering he didn't have to. I really need to buy his new bands CD. I like Howard's voice so much better than Jesse's (blasphemy! I know. OTL) 

you'll have to excuse me, my previous post was made very late last night.

I read about Howards panic attacks and stuff, but i still feel that theres more to leaving KSE then what he's telling the fans.

No problem.

I don't feel entitled to know every little reason behind his leaving, I only care that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between him and the KSE guys, and he seems happy and pursuing music again. Everything else is icing on the proverbial cake.

Well, Better the band be open and upfront about it then trying to avoid answering questions about it everytime their asked like DreamTheater when Portnoy decided to leave. DT members will never give a straight and honest answer regarding what happened because portnoy didnt leave the band on good terms.

Sign in to follow this