CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

~DAT HIP HOP THREAD~

tumblr_m13p0nYsSd1qijilxo1_500_zpsca9e31

I figured we needed a place here to discuss hip hop, so I've made this theread! So who else here likes hip hop and what artists are you currently into?

:domo::monkeydance::domo:

Personally, I'm really diggin the strange music label...so much talent (Tech N9ne, Krizz Kailko, ¡Mayday!, and Ces Cru are my favs there). Ces Cru's new album just dropped today and it's pretty damn dope. The track below is killer!

Also, one of my partners recently put me on to Marcus D. Pretty dope beat-maker/producer heavily infuenced by Nujabes!

So yeah, how else here is into hip hop? What are yall listening to? :)

Idk how ~into~ it I am, since my taste is pretty specific, but I do like rap as a music style.  Most of what I listen to is from Japan or Korea, but I do like Cypress Hill and M.I.A ooh it rhymed.

Japan faves:  SALU, SKY-HI, Hilcrhyme, KEN THE 390, RAU DEF, Haiiro de Rossi, TamakiROY

Korea faves: MC Sniper, Baechigi, Outsider, Ignito, Basick, Illinit, Born Kim, Eluphant, Crucial Star, Fana, Kebee

Been spinning EL-P's Cancer 4 Cure a lot lately. It's the straightest EL-P-produced album I've heard, but there's still a shitload of chaacter and uniqueness to it. Pimitive, furutistic and filled with badassnes. It's also geat that the man is almost as good at rapping as he is producing. Ridiculously good album, and the opening track is one of the best within the genre ever. But the first 4-5 tracks are all beyond perfect. What a man!

Also, I've tried to stay away from everything that has to do with Run the Jewels II until the album is released, but today I (finally) failed. Christ almight, the preview of the album is good. It is beyond good! God damn!

For those not heard it yet: http://www.stereogum.com/1695029/run-the-jewels-blockbuster-night-part-1-snippet/mp3s/

Damn Bear, that’s tempting.

I put C4C on my list for 2012 and two years later it’s just as dope as it was the first time I’ve heard it. Although I find myself gravitating towards his second album more lately, C4C is still great. But ISWYD has great tracks like Tasmanian Pain Coaster, Dear Sirs, Poisenville Kids No Wins, EMG, Up All Night…actually the whole album is just fantastic.

Run the Jewels benefits in the same way, except now he has Killer Mike to share verses with. The two of them are charismatic enough to carry the entire debut on their own, and only feature Big Boi and that guy on Twin Hype Back who I consider to be a joke and not a featured MC. I’ve also been staying away from any news related to RTJ II and I don’t even know when it’s coming out. You’re tempting me with that video but since I’m at work I can’t watch it.

Other than El-P I’m really fond of Earl Sweatshirt and early Tyler, the Creator. Wolf was a letdown for me but Rusty was an awesome track. Doris was just stellar and although it didn’t follow in the same vein as Earl it was one of the best hip-hop albums of last year. Dark, mysterious, brooding beats with complex, multisyllabic verses and plenty of features that added to the track. Burgundy, Sunday, and Hoarse in particular are two excellent tracks. Everything was great except for SK La’ Flare. I have no idea why Earl let him on the track because he has no flow and can’t rap.

As for Tyler, Bastard was his best album. Goblin was okay. Wolf was less okay then Goblin. I honestly haven’t gone back to Wolf except for Rusty, IFHY, Tamale, and Colossus. And sometimes Pigs.

I checked out Czarface upon your recommendation last year Bear and I have to say it’s pretty dope! I’m into that 90’s scene a little bit (Company Flow, Cannibal Ox type shit) so hearing throwback boom-bap these days is nice. I have to listen to it a few more times before more songs other than Dead Zone, Czar Rafaeli and Air ‘Em Out stick in my head.

Newest rapper to enter my rotation is Capital STEEZ. He’s only got one album (and will only ever have one album) but it’s great! The man not only can rap but he picks topics to rap about and doesn’t resort to money, talking about bitches or wealth or killing people to get through songs. He’s also really great at wordplay while telling a story. Amazing stuff to check out!

As far as Japanese hip-hop goes I don’t listen to much but lately Meliyas has caught my ear. Meliyas is the side-project of DJ Itsuka from Charisma.com, whose name you’ve probably seen around here once or twice. I remember liking MAJO LP but it’s really hard for me to remember some songs. I know CAT5 has said something similar to me as well. Guess that means I have to start bumping it again at work to see if it will make any lists of mine at the end of the year.

Already read the name of that Run The Jewels countless times since last year, so finally checked out their album...and well, it's pretty good. :)

Other than that, current hip-hop I'm interested in is Mykki Blanco (s/he upped a pretty crazy/weird/awesome track not long ago) and Odd Future stuff (mainly Tyler and Earl), Death Grips (shame they disbanded) and maybe Le1f. Also it's not "pure" hip-hop (more like... "rap/rave"?) but big Die Antwoord fan here. :D

BADBADNOTGOOD and Ghostface Killah will release an album together in February.

Never really got into Ghostface, but I'm surprised (in a good way) to see a band like BBNG do a collab like this. Would be awesome to see more instrumental bands to stuff like this.

Never really got into Ghostface, but I'm surprised (in a good way) to see a band like BBNG do a collab like this. Would be awesome to see more instrumental bands to stuff like this.

They did a collaboration with Earl sweatshirt last year, but it was only one track.

They did a collaboration with Earl sweatshirt last year, but it was only one track.

Oh wow, cool. BBNG is more hip-hop than I realized then...was introduced to them by one of my "j-indie" friends thats loves instrumental bands (toe, mouse on the keys, etc) so I guess I Immediately lumped them in with those kinds of bands.

Looks like the new Run The Jewels leaked. edit. RTJ themselves put it up for download now so you can DL it "legally".

As soon as I come to work too! DAMN IT!

Oh shit, this is good. So good I almost threw my laptop at the wall half way into the first song. I'm not sure I can handle the badassness and coolness from the duo this time around. It's almost too much.

Me right now:

columbus-blue-jackets-fan-turn-down-for-

fat-guy-dancing-o.gif

Hell yeah! The only thing right now that makes me rank this a bit bellow the debut, is Gangsta Boo's part in Love Again. I don't feel her. Lack attitude and flow IMO. It sounds very, very amateurish. The rest sounds top notch. Hip hop abum of the year for sure, but that we already knew as soon as they told us about the plans to make a #2. Brilliant guys.