CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

Done listening to Sour Soul. Compared to his albums with Adrian Younge and the Revelations, there isn't a clear chemistry between him and BBNG. I am not against mellow beats but BBNG pretty much disregarded Ghost's energetic flow and played calming-mellow instrumentals. It is extremely weird to hear the vocalist sound more energetic than the beat he is rhyming to. BBNG for the most part sounds like they are more interested in making "cool sounding" instrumentals rather than support Ghostface's flow. This left me wondering if they even tried listening to his previous works and figure out in what type of beats he sounds best in. It is too mellow for most of the album and this type of mood only fit the last song of the album where Ghost deepens his thoughts. The album picks up only after the 6th track when a proper Ghostface song in Mind Playing Tricks is delivered. Street Knowledge was carried by Ghost but really his verse and hook could be just as good on any other beat. Ray Gun is the only song that had a 60/70's feel that they proclaim was their aim for the sound and is the type of instrumentals I was hoping for throughout the album. For the most part it is just aight, kinda forgettable though.

Take a listen here:

https://soundcloud.com/badbadnotgood/mono?in=badbadnotgood/sets/badbadnotgood-ghostface-killah

^ so you are saying that BBNG should be at fault for "lack of chemistry" ?(I noticed that too but the way you put it is...intriguing)

Danny Brown, Black Milk and even Tyler were quite fine with them, so I guess it's just Ghostface being the one who "pretty much disregarded" the act he collaborated with. #justmetho 

I am still waiting on my copy to arrive to check out the production notes. I have a feeling it is the end producer that is at fault for terrible use of Ghostface's vocals. Either someone at BBNG or an executive producer. Read somewhere he finished most of the album in a week. That leaves me thinking he laid down his vocals and left. Compared to 36 seasons, you can tell he did the samething but the production and use of his vocals was done better to suit him. Not a big deal, it is just underwhelming how it turned out.

Might as well post this despite the fact that the band in question has "merely 2 known fans" in this community so far (um, me and Jig I guess? Seeing as this is not meant for "(hip hop) traditionalists" in all honesty):

Death Grips - Jenny Death previews

IT'S GONNA DROP IN SOON, WELP.

...we might never know if this is gonna be their swansong album for real (inb4 American CARRYGARRY in terms of trolling) but AAAAAWWSHIIIEEEEET

:wan-45:

Might as well post this despite the fact that the band in question has "merely 2 known fans" in this community so far (um, me and Jig I guess? Seeing as this is not meant for "(hip hop) traditionalists" in all honesty):

Count me as third maybe.

Oh lawd, these previews sound so fucking epic!

Not a fan but I have heard of them since 2011. There are better genres to stick those guys in, I don't get why they are being labeled hip-hop first or why hip-hop sites really want to embrace them.

Rapper Big Pooh has an album coming next week, "Words Paint Pictures"

Fashawn's Ecology was a good listen, released a last month ago

Kendrick's album is on next week as well

So it seems like the new Death Grips album will finally get released not today but on March 31.

However, here's a brand-new track:

Also, new Earl Sweatshirt album titled "I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside" out on March 23!!

Music vid posted today:

Tracklist:

01. Huey
02. Mantra
03. Faucet
04. Grief
05. Off Top
06. Grown Ups [ft. Dash]
07. AM // Radio [ft. Wiki]
08. Inside
09. Dna [ft. Na'kel]
10. Wool [ft. Vince Staples]

I ony listened to Kendrick's album once so far. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, I don't have favorite tracks or anything. "For Free?" was funny as fuck though.

March is pretty great for hip-hop. Kendrick Lamar, Death Grips, Earl Sweatshirt, Action Bronson... all release(d) new albums in March.

VKP5vwa.png

01. Don The Armor
02. Czartacus
03. Lumberjack Match
04. Nightcrawler feat. Method Man
05. World Premier feat. Large Professor
06. The Great (Czar Guitar)
07. Red Alert
08. Junkyard Dogs feat. Juju
09. Sgt. Slaughter
10. When Gods Go Mad feat. GZA/Genius
11. Ka-Bang! feat. MF Doom
12. Deadly Class feat. Meyhem Lauren
13. Escape From Czarkham Asylum
14. Sinister
15. Good Villains Go Last feat. R.A. The Rugged Man
16. Deviatin' Septums

Oh man, this is gonna be good. This is gonna be fucking awesome!