CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

Wu-Tang's new album was pretty disappointing at least beat-wise on first listen. :/ Well, I was kind of expecting that. Still need to check out 36 Seasons.

The beats and rhymes were fine imo. It was the the mixing that ruins most of the songs. A majority of the bridges/hooks ruins the transitions from one rapper to the next. One of the best parts of 36 Chambers and Disc 1 of Forever is the feeling of a cypher it had. The majority of the songs on this release does the oposite.

My top hip-hop albums this year are:

Hilcrhyme - Five Zero One

SKY-HI - TRICKSTER

SALU - Comedy

Jack Heino - Heinous Hook

MJ116 - Fresh Game

But I have a couple i haven't heard yet that are on the way, so the list isn't definitive lol

I just can't get this out of my head and it goes on repeat all day long. not sure why because this combines two of the thing I dislike the most in my hip hop: female rappers and fucking norwegian. There's something about her voice and the übersexy stavanger dialect that gets me... I think. Well, it's something at least. Maybe it's her looks. :wan-30:

Maybe. I don't think I've ever heard a single finnish (female) rapper in my whole life. I imagine rapping in finnish sounds bad though.

Well, at least it's better than any Finnish female rapper.. Haha.

Are Finnish female rappers even the thing in our country these days?

(I mean like, anyone but Sini "no, I don't know who's Azealia Banks" Sabotage)

Maybe. I don't think I've ever heard a single finnish (female) rapper in my whole life. I imagine rapping in finnish sounds bad though.

I heard one once! I think her name was Mariska or something like that. I personally like the sound of Finnish tho so...

Are Finnish female rappers even the thing in our country these days?

(I mean like, anyone but Sini "no, I don't know who's Azealia Banks" Sabotage)

Yeah, Sini Sabotage is probably the only one with some sort of mainstream success these days. And evilcoconut mentioned Mariska, I guess she was "kind of" popular ten years ago or so but she moved on to other genres.

If someone's interested, here's some Finnish female rap, it's underground stuff, though.

The dude featuring in this song was in one of the first Finnish rap groups, Ceebrolistics. They have a cult status among rap-heads here. Gotta give the girl some props for getting him in this song.

^Nice link Indigo, thanks a lot for that one! :D

I haven't really bothered with Finnish hip hop for a while due to certain *unspeakable trends* (judging you Biopanda for praising Eevil Stöö lol*) + blame my limited knowledge

Gonna embed a couple of Finnish hip hop releases I really cared about so far (I am not really aware of 2014 goodies, sorry):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vam-oZoSlUI

Julma-Henri had a solid, heavily post-rock (?)/prog-inspired release years ago (had its own share of criticism but eh)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmgZgltjaWM

Regretting that I overlooked these sweet beats from Asa's latest release ages ago :(

*jk

Aah, I used to love Mariska! I remember listening to her when I was ~9 years old and feeling angsty and badass, so I opened all the windows and turned the music really loud. I think she's one of the most interesting cases in Finnish music when talking about music genre changes.

And I also used to like (like everyone else) Pikku G. So nostalgic! If I am being I don't really listen to hiphop that much, the only ones I sometimes like (the only hiphop-artists I listen to are Finnish) Paleface and some songs by Cheek.

*orchestra of cheesy tumbleweed and cricket sounds intensifies*

So what kind of hip hop albums are you guys anticipating in this year?

I am in the process of digesting latest Joey Badass and Lupe Fiasco, but sheesh, talk about being totally stoked for upcoming goodie-patooties:

Western:

BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah - Sour Soul

Someone (Juka?) already pointed out that Ghostface has been involved in similar collabs before, but I have my fingers crossed already for some real chemistry between these folks - even the sample (posted earlier) says a lot!

Death Grips - Jenny Death

Zach Hill *finally* gave a clue about the staple date for the most "memetastic" (don't visit reddit or 4chan, don't even dare) release of 2k15 - 31/3! Those who are interested, keep that in mind...unless DG's going to troll us again :V

Japanese:

daoko - dimension

Daoko slayed earlier and will slay in February too - I can foresee the hottest  AOTY right there!

SALU & the dreambandgunjo - THE CALM

SALU is gonna get it in with his crew once more - will it make up for the major "been there, heard that" issue of his last release? I am more than intrigued...

I'm not sure how many of these we'll actually get in 2015, but I am hoping these will see the light of day in 2015:

Ghostface Killah & BADBADNOTGOOD - Sour Soul

Ghostface Killah - Twelve Reasons to Die II

DOOMStarks

Czarface - Czarface 2

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3

Killer Mike - Pledge Allegiance to the Grind IV

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music II

Totally looking forward to that new (possibly last?) Death Grips album and Mykki Blanco's first 'real' full-length. Nothing else at the moment.

January is super early to know for sure what albums are going to dropped this year. Sour Soul is the only definitive one after this MV dropped:

Also a follow-up to 1200 B.C. from Ka and Preservation

Raekwon's F.I.L.A (Fly International Luxurious Art) has been pushed back due to the Wu's latest album so that should be released this year. GZA's Dark Matter could drop, it has been over 2 years since it was last announced. Plus it has been too long since Pro Tools dropped.

LOX's We Are The Streets 2 or Jadakiss' Top Five Dead/Alive. I am leaning on Jada to drop his as the LOX has already released 3 EPs, in less than a year, last year

Kendrick Lamar needs to drop a follow up to his debut as well. Otherwise I am just gonna wait as announcements comes by.

Sharing this for the lulz (subs!) I know that he basically "stole" OG maco's beat and gimmicks but ayyy lmao

KOHH is Chief Keef-ier than ever now, just wow...

A film I am really looking forward, though with a great amount of skepticism. And after seeing the trailer I got even more skeptic. I kinda get the feeling that they've done their best to turn the story into a movie for everyone, instead of doing their best to impress fans of hip hop and all that. Njaaaa...

i wanna try germany

Looking forward to;

Flatbush Zombies - It's All A Matter Of Perspective

Ghostface Killah & BADBADNOTGOOD - Sour Soul

Kendrick Lamar - TBA

GZA's solo possibly?