Augie1995

Coldrain- The Revelation review

:4.5: Now I'm not in the mood to really write a huge in depth review or anything like that, but, I would just like to say that this album was my entry to this band. This album is the first thing I have listened to from coldrain, a band who I had previously avoided due to some pretty dumb reasons.

This album was absolutely amazing to me, it had some pretty amazing songs: The Revelation, The War is On, Time Bomb, Chasing Dreams.  All the other songs to me were all pretty good but not amazing. This album has some really amazing choruses which are just the highlights of most songs and I love that this album isn't full of heavy breakdowns all around, but it includes some pretty great, yet short, guitar solos or awesome melodic breaks between the songs. 

I went back to their previous releases such as The Enemy Inside and Through Clarity, my favorite song from Coldrain has to be Inside of Me from Through Clarity (it even helped inspire some new songwriting for me). I can definitely tell that in their new album, the drums sound a lot tighter, and the guitars are most focused on a melody than trying to keep the rhythm of the song with riffs.

All in all, I have found an amazing new band to follow, some great new songs to jam out to, and an addition to my "Top albums of 2013" 

:2.0:

This album was kind of an oddity for me. I loved it the first time through, but the more I listened, the less I liked it. Or maybe it just got old fast?

Lets start it off with what I liked about this album: The overall production of this album is really tight. Everything just sound punchy and really enjoyable. Easily their best album in this regard. The heavy sections of the songs on this album are really the strength of this release imo, which I can not say about their other releases...not that they were band, but I really feel like they stepped it up a notch in this area.

Now for the not so good: The lyrics on this album are just plain bad. I found myself going "ugh" whenever I actually played attention to the words...it reminded me of an earlier high schooler's bad poetry. The clean vocal sections also lack a lot of interest from what we found on their previous albums imo, something about them just feels so cheesy. Then there is the problem is that all the songs on this album sounds so similar. I know this can really help create a cohesive package, but it works against Coldrain for this album in the sense that all the songs seemed to blur together.

Not been able to write my own review yet but I kind of agree with Ito there.

I've always loved Coldrain and I think Masato has a really good voice both for screaming and singing, but this album just got old pretty fast. (Or maybe I just expected too much.) I'd been waiting for their new release and after hearing the teasers in their YouTube vids I thought it would be another awesome one to add to their discography but I was disappointed when it eventually came out. The music and production is tight. It's definitely a step up, but the vocals and vocal lines seemed off. Rather boring even at some points. The same over and over again.

I've come to like two or three songs of the whole release, and can hardly remember what the rest sounds like to be honest. I can get that people who have never heard them before and took this as a lead into their music really like it though. As a standalone album, it's a good one, but it drowns in the rest of their discography.

So this was my first time listening to this band, and I’m going to agree with what has already been said about the album. The strongest points are in its tight sound production and in the heavier aspects of the music like the breakdowns. And for me, the weakest link of this release isn’t that the songs sounds too similar, but that there aren’t memorable melodies or choruses. And the clean vocals simply didn’t hit home with what melodic aspects were there. The songs themselves aren’t bad, most of them just don’t stand out or get stuck in your head. 

It’s an okay release. I think it’s one of those album were you forget about most of the tracks except for the few that stood out.