CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

Some of Miyavi’s new stuff isn’t that bad 

Disorder is better than NIL

Yoshiki isn’t a bad person. He has a good heart. However, at times, he can be a bit much. When you’re basically the biggest Japanese rockstar on the planet, it’s kinda hard not to have an ego. I still stand by my opinion that the only reason you should hate Yoshiki is because of his ego. I feel like people run their mouths on him way to much on here. We get it already, he has an ego. It's kinda lame at this point. Just don't make posts about him if that's how you feel about him

May not sound unpopular but a strong opinion of mine.

Don’t force yourself to like every album of a band’s discography. For example:

- I love Dir En Grey, but I dislike Arche and TMOAB

- I love The Gazette, but I disliked Beautiful Deformity.

What I am talking about are people who act like ALL their albums are masterpieces and are like “your not a true fan if you like all their albums”. It’s a horrible mentality that makes you look silly. I've seen this in many fandom's before and it's honestly such a toxic mentality. 

I like all of Dir En Grey’s albums to some extent as most of them are great albums in their own right (Yes, even TIW), however I am very critical of Arche and TMOAB. Arche because it just felt too long and wasn’t worth more than one listen, other than a few songs and TMOAB because it felt like a disappointment after listening to Withering to death. That does not mean that all the songs are bad, I just don’t like them as albums. 

Also, don’t shit on others for liking a disliked or unpopular album. It’s stupid and immature.

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

5 hours ago, Disposable said:

I don't know if you've someone's alt or have been lurking here for how long exactly, so in case you were not aware I was referencing the way people here write circles around the production of some shitty Japanese mallcore as if dicking around with a few sliders and switches would've made it any different. Even if The Insulated World didn't sound shitty it'd still thoroughly retain it's fundamental essence, which is shit. 

That whole album was recorded on $10 earplugs Die picked up at the corner store.

Someone passed me a copy of The Insulated World that they did where they adjusted a few things and the end result was so much better. Not good enough to fundamentally change opinions on the album, but enough to make me wonder why that wasn't done before the album was pressed. It only took ten minutes! For fuck's sake, if I can sit down and take a compressed MP3 version of the track and make it sound better than the studio master, there's a problem with the production part of the pipeline. Do any of their ears work? I haven't revisited the album since I got this copy, since tracks like "Devote my Life" hurt to listen to, and I still think the second half of the album is stronger than the first half, so in essence I guess I agree with your hot take???

Despite my high end equipment, I'm also terrible at noticing these problems in the moment, but I can very easily A-B them if someone gives me a cleaned up version, so if I start noticing issues almost instantly then that's real bad. Real good example of how ignorance is bliss.

5 minutes ago, chipathy said:

I never understood the hype personally but as of late their looks have gotten more dull imo 

They started off with this "juvenile delinquents from a fictional universe" concept (in Shogo's own words) which I thought was really fun and wacky and interesting but I think they just kinda forgot about it. Sucks, cuz it was their music as well as their looks that had that kind of originality and I miss it.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, suji said:

we need a black metal vk band

A’liene Mariage is close enough 

On 5/8/2019 at 5:15 PM, chipathy said:

DSS is best diru era

That or Macabre.

Funny, DSS is exactly where I gave up on them.

I guess here's my unpopular opinion: DEG are unlikeable businessmen who made a career out of floating with the tide. Glossy Kuroyume tribute act -> borderline-vk with industrial metal influences -> nu-metal -> nondescript 00s wristcutter rock -> djent/core crap (we are here). Oh wait, there are some meandering melodic instrumental sections and lots of falsettos from Kyo, so it's actually avant-garde djent/core crap!

Their best moments nowadays are those brief transition periods where they slightly withdraw from their latest Western influences or incorporate them more lightly more into their own sound, which is why Uroboros feels so sincere compared to what came after it.

If they ever "evolve" in a way that doesn't involve scavenging riffs from some dead/dying tribal tattoo 'metal' subgenre that metalheads don't even like, remind me to eat my shoe.

Edited by hopefully_benign

Here’s an extremely unpopular rating for Diru:

Gauze/Withering To Death

Dum Spiro Spero

Kisou

Uroboros

The Insulated World

MACABRE

Vulgar

Arche

The Marrow Of A Bone

Also

Being influenced by American or Western bands isn’t copying nor is it plagiarism. Bands are allowed to listen to different types of music to fit their style.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:37 PM, Disposable said:

I don't know if you've someone's alt or have been lurking here for how long exactly, so in case you were not aware I was referencing the way people here write circles around the production of some shitty Japanese mallcore as if dicking around with a few sliders and switches would've made it any different.

I mostly agree with this. But the exception is bp records; sliding down the volume switches on everything to not release shitty loudness war garbage would immediately make their records sound better.

Edited by Tanishi

I think i've officially lost patience with DAS:VASSER, I tried giving their stuff a chance for years but they simply don't do anything for me. A lot of VK is derivative by nature but most bands manage to save face by having a little something special to offset this. I just don't get what that special something is supposed to be for them (and to make things worse the production on their albums sucks).

Also this could probably get me beheaded if I told the wrong people, but it makes me furious that the more elitist fringes of VK fandom will hype up middling crap like this yet deliberately overlook an album like Missa because they wouldn't be caught dead listening to DEG. I don't consider myself a hardcore Diru fan at all but "Kiri to Mayu" and "Aoi Tsuki" alone blow anything DAS:VASSER have written out of the water.

5 minutes ago, Milayou said:

I think i've officially lost patience with DAS:VASSER, I tried giving their stuff a chance for years but they simply don't do anything for me. A lot of VK is derivative by nature but most bands manage to save face by having a little something special to offset this. I just don't get what that special something is supposed to be for them (and to make things worse the production on their albums sucks).

Also this could probably get me beheaded if I told the wrong people, but it makes me furious that the more elitist fringes of VK fandom will hype up middling crap like this yet deliberately overlook an album like Missa because they wouldn't be caught dead listening to DEG. I don't consider myself a hardcore Diru fan at all but "Kiri to Mayu" and "Aoi Tsuki" alone blow anything DAS:VASSER have written out of the water.

Tbh, the only reason I really enjoy Das:Vasser is because I'm a hoe for that Matina sound. But I also get what you mean, and there definitely is better out there.

4 minutes ago, Himeaimichu said:

Tbh, the only reason I really enjoy Das:Vasser is because I'm a hoe for that Matina sound. But I also get what you mean, and there definitely is better out there.

I was convinced that they would finally click because i'm craving this sort of stuff right now but all I hear just falls uncomfortably flat. Looks like it's Madeth Gray'll time again after all for the hundredth time this month

2 minutes ago, Milayou said:

I was convinced that they would finally click because i'm craving this sort of stuff right now but all I hear just falls uncomfortably flat. Looks like it's Madeth Gray'll time again after all for the hundredth time this month

Yeah that's totally understandable. I never really even gave their discography that much of a try because it never really appealed to me enough to go deep in, so I only ever downloaded like a few scattered songs from them lol

On 9/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, Milayou said:

Aww, I like DAS:VASSER tho lol.

But seriously, I can understand why people don’t like Matina bands even though I stan the label a lot lol. I just feel like most Matina bands unlike Madeth gray’ll are often overlooked. 

About MISSA, honestly it’s above average tbh, the only songs I like are Aoi Tsuki, Garden and Byou Shin. I perfer Sangeki no Yoru over Kiri to Mayu anyway and the KTM remake is dope af. 

Technique is important when it comes to screams. Yeah, "expressing your feelings", I get it, but if you can't realy do it properly don't even try.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:47 AM, nullmoon said:

I actually like Nega's Vanitas album. I mean, listen to this. Sure it's a bit of a Vinushka ripoff but still! 

Yeah, Vanitas is definitely their best moment IMO Can't really remember anything from it other than the intro, this song and "V-Rock is Dead" though

Edited by kuyashii

On 9/12/2019 at 10:14 PM, Milayou said:

I've also had the same experience with Das:Vasser. They came up a lot on youtube and everywhere else back in the day when the algorithm still wasn't total shit, and their old looks, name, track titles etc. were all really cool so naturally I gravitated towards everything... except their music. I don't want to say anything definite because my relationship with a lot of visual kei develops and even metamorphoses throughout the years and I've turned on and to bands I never expected to, but what I can say for sure is that Das:vasser I've definitely tried to get into the longest. I think it was last year when I was browsing some compilations when I was first impressed by anything they did ( which might've also been the first time when I approached their music with a sober mind ) and I have to give them credit for unusual bravery when they make these 6 minutes songs from very little. It's the Kisaki song writing syndrome ( pun )

This is cool, and absolutely could've been only 4 minutes long. Anyway, it's cool and raw as fuck so automatically better than almost anything released in the past 5 years at least

4 hours ago, Disposable said:

Anyway, it's cool and raw as fuck so automatically better than almost anything released in the past 5 years at least

Said every VK elitist who got stuck listening to moth-ridden bands yet is still active in the scene shitting on anything post 2010 that comes out lol

1 minute ago, Komorebi said:

Said every VK elitist who got stuck listening to moth-ridden bands yet is still active in the scene shitting on anything post 2010 that comes out lol

I never understood that mentality. It’s not like suddenly everything went to shit after 2010 lmao

Just now, psychonnect_rozen said:

I never understood that mentality. It’s not like suddenly everything went to shit after 2010 lmao

You can see them in any scene. People who grew up listening to somethin in their teen years will stick to that and claim that anything that didn't somehow fuel their teenage angst is worse than watever shit they blasted on while sulking because their teacher hated them or whatever.

Just like people who did move on will revisit with nostalgia crappy songs they know are crappy yet love due to said nostalgia. 

5 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

You can see them in any scene. People who grew up listening to somethin in their teen years will stick to that and claim that anything that didn't somehow fuel their teenage angst is worse than watever shit they blasted on while sulking because their teacher hated them or whatever.

Just like people who did move on will revisit with nostalgia crappy songs they know are crappy yet love due to said nostalgia. 

I used to be like that unfortunately. Luckily I grew out of that and became more open minded.

It’s not that hard to find good music. People are just lazy

You can also go through my posting history where I like things both new and old ( or ask anyone on this board who’s been here for longer than two minutes since they ought to know me if not in person then through the chat and my presence here otherwise) despite mainting a very firm stance on when things were better; and in addition to this I refuse to placate to the people and their opinions who I wouldn’t even piss on if they were on fire, and I most likely wouldn’t have to do that since by the time I’d get there to piss on them, these people have moved on to some other scene to adopt a new identity for themselves.

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

this is such a wild statement to make regarding a scene that has a plenty of

- bands that dropped putting in any resemblance of effort a single into a sell-out major contract (I'll use fucking an cafe for this to avoid the elitism punch)

- bands that relied on outside producing help from people who left the music biz/passed away which let to an immediate drop in quality (see  - pierrot/ex-pierrot) - which on top of that regularly happens in literally every other music scene out there;

- bands/members that understandably lose enthusiasm for creating anything at all in a scene sandwiched by tangible and narrow walls and piss off to grow organic lettuce;

- bands that never were anything in the first place but the gya got the HottS  - and this is where bar for "elitism" drops to "minimally developed taste"

- why "2010"