Sign in to follow this  
Augie1995

Why confine to VK, Best art out there

I saw both topics on the tackiest and the best cover art but I noticed that they were only confined to VK, it really confines you a lot and there really isn't much in VK nowadays since bands tend to just have a band photo as a cover art (Looking at you ViViD and Mejibray) 

What I want is to see members post cover arts from any genre that they consider to be the best in their eyes.... Aaaaaand go!

Polyphia (Inspire EP) Polyrhythmic prog band (currently instrumental) made up of four guys ranging between ages 19-20

polyphia-inspire-ep-cover.jpg?1366637154

Palms (Self-titled EP) Deftones lead singer side project

Palms-Deftones-Isis.jpg

Hands like Houses (Unimagine album) Australian rock band, killer music

61kzXdBe7eL._SY300_.jpg

Anciients [not a typo] (Heart of Oak album) Vancouver-based rock juggernaut force

homepage_large.ad2ac4e1.jpg

Enter Shikari (A Flash Flood Of Colour album) British post-hardcore band that combines post-hardcore and various heavy metal sub-genres such as metalcore and alternative metal

A+Flash+Flood+Of+Colour+Deluxe+Version+a

Some people prefer see their favorite band on cover more than an art's cover, that'sz depend to anybody ^^

But i will particpe to (hope isn't confine to asian band ?)

Shoot the Girl First

3232.jpg

Six Feet Under

1000x1000.jpg

Stone Sour

Stone_Sour-House_Of_Gold_y_Bones_Part_2-

and for fisished The Arrs

pochette-heros-assassin.jpg

(but it's a little selection)

so... much... photoshop...here...hrrgg

There are so many good ones I just can't even begin to list them all without crashing the forum. Here's just a few ones that represent something to me

Burzum_aske.jpg

Burzum - Aske 

While all old Burzum covers are good, what they have in common is that they were( iirc ) all taken from established artists... Aside from this one. Overall a haunting shot establishing the real life dimension of the scene and the uncompromising conviction of the artist. A "honorable" mention in this field would be Absurd's Thuringian Pagan Madness demo tape, but the story behind that one is more sad and pathetic really.  

Trout_Mask_Replica.jpg

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

It has a trout mask innit.

51iN9R2akWL._SX355_.jpg

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats

You don't know Jazz Funk until you've heard this one, buddy!

51am6Vp8iIL._SY300_.jpg

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing

Obviously the hardcore album with the the hardcore album cover. It's a cliche to say that the album art perfectly describes what's in store here, but this one describes the time and the place it comes from just as well. A filthy graffiti covered metro station with about as many used needles laying in the ground as there are people shouting in different languages. Probably a heavy stench of urine too.

Joy%2BDivision_Closer_6892.png

Joy Division - Closer 

:(

Seconding Joy Division's Closer. It's a very iconic album cover, together with their Unknown Pleasure cover art as well.

e9aecd8c-c548-4568-a6a7-cdc5ca7cc5c9_zps

Dead Can Dance- Within the Realm of a Dying Sun

Really awesome cover that fits perfectly to the dreamy, ethereal neoclassical music. In the Darkwave associated genre there are a lot of covers with "sad" or mysterious sculptures, but most of them look rather cheesy and cliché- this one, however, does not.

Dead-Can-Dance---Within-The-Realm-Of-A-D

Bauhaus- Burning from the Inside

bauhaus-burning_from_the_inside-front.jp

Depeche Mode- Black Celebration

The bonus edition of the remastered album has a nice making off of this cover. It's really cool how everything was handmade and crafted carefully. There was no Photoshop back then and the cover artists put so much energy, time and blood into it.

depechemodeblackcelebrationoriginalcover

Tiamat- Wildhoney

Wildhoney.jpg

Last one, before the post gets too big:

Gary Numan- Replicas

37ddf647-e2a4-4252-8346-c382976ee2ca_zps

I don't care much for these slug doom stoner metal bands but I do like the album art and other illustrations John Baizley produces for them.

The attention to detail and the usage of heavy dark lines and careful pen work is the kinda stuff I'm especially drawn too. I've debated about buying some of the vinyl releases from these bands just to have a large high quality print of some of his art. 

Below are just two examples but just toss his name in Google and there's a ton of stuff that will come up.

tumblr_m9mbz6HK5I1qbcporo1_500.jpg

ShockBlast-John-Baizley-Baroness-_Red-Al

I like art cover album drawn by KAgaMI, although almost all her design is for metal band, these are my favorite:

Remembering Sensation - Reach Your World

38120120921222203.jpg

A Ghost of Flare - Kodou

18220130207021028.jpg

Hone Your Sense - TRI-JOLT

lGlakcJ.jpg

Prog bands tend to overdo it. i think the only one who keeps it simple, yet elegent to me, is Periphery:

peripheryII.jpg

But Prog bands like Born of Osiris make some really overdone artwork that actually looks amazing:

181505_10150151953939993_242025224992_79

Born-of-Osiris-Tomorrow-We-Die-Alive-Cov

Agree with the Born Of Osiris ones. And here are some I can think of.

Mastodon has pretty awesome covers for their albums.

116uc9e.jpg

315bzis.jpg

302bfbl.jpg

Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals cover. 

2dqplza.png

Rings of Saturn's Dingir is pretty sick.

2j0nkw4.jpg

Deftones have some nice ones.

1673zub.jpg

29o029s.jpg

I like Raunchy Confusion Bay, which also happens to be one of their best albums.

2uqca5i.png

Brand New has some interesting covers too. They might not have a lot going on visually, but they are intriguing

2cf75ts.png

ie2fs5.jpg

And of course Iron Maiden has all the covers with Eddie.

eg1zqo.jpg

ojjref.jpg

Recently saw the artwork for Braids' Flourish // Perish and thought it was absolutely brilliant. It's a very good description of the album's overall sound & vibe.

Some other album artworks that I'm fond of include:

Dream Theater - Octavarium 

The whole album is written around the idea of an octave and is absolutely filled with references to the numbers 8 and 5 (mirroring the 8 naturals and 5 accidentals found in each octave). The cover itself is only half of the full image, in which the eight balls represent the naturals while the five birds represent the accidentals (basically mirroring the layout of a piano). The album is also built around the idea of things going in cycles and repeating endlessly, hence the Newton's Cradle. On top of that stuff, I just really love the general feel of the artwork.

THE NOVEMBERS - Rhapsody in beauty

school food punishment - Riff-rain

"Epistemology" by Keep Of Kalessin

Keep-Of-Kalessin-2015-Epistemology-LE.jp

"Evangelion" by Behemoth

tumblr_n4x6ofG2OM1qhnwfno1_1398988816_co

"The Hierophant" by Blaze Of Perdition

"Casus Luciferi" by Watain

tumblr_lx15wf7pJ21qbwapno1_500.jpg

"Regarde Les Hommes Tomber" by Regarde Les Hommes Tomber

62352.jpg

"Beware The Sword You Cannot See" by A Forest Of Stars

tumblr_nsq1lihB5f1rpd7zdo1_1438967848_co

"Au-Dessus" by Au-Dessus

12_Au-Dessus_-_Au-Dessus.jpg

MI0000040206.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Encompasses sombre, mellow and artsy vibes of this art/experimental rock milestone.

2094715.jpg

Apocalypse in sound and art (even if admirers were ruled out as 90s apologists)

I agree. Could have included a lot of Necrolord's 90's artwork as he quite often managed to capture the spirit and feeling of the music itself.

And when you mention The Somberlain it's hard not to mention this too:

King Diamond - Abigail

Abigail_%28King_Diamond_album%29.jpg

Perfect cover for a perfect album. Captures the feeling of the album as a whole.

Sign in to follow this