orangetarts

American Horror Story

It's official now, 4th season will be titled American Horror Story: Freak Show!

The fourth season will be set in Jupiter, Florida and be centered around one of the few remaining freak shows of the 1950s as its members do anything to keep the business alive.

Seasons 1 and especially 2 were excellence. I'd rather just forget Coven existed. God awful despite having the highest potential of all of them. Folks on the A.V. club have been pitching Hell Circus for the longest time and it looks like we'll be getting that with Freak Show so I want to be excited but since Ryan Murphy can't seem to have nice things for too long I don't have high hopes. 

I'm really excited for the new season. I have hopes they'll bring back the creep factor from the first two seasons. I thoroughly enjoyed Coven but I didn't find it creepy/scary at all and there were massive plot holes for me. But still, I'll probably buy it when it comes out on blu-ray anyway.

I still haven't even seen Coven orz

I'm curious what you'll think about it when you get to it. I hadn't seen the first 2 seasons (the ads really seemed cheesy to me), but Coven's wicked witches concept really excited me, so I marathoned both previous seasons right before it started. And that was probably a bad idea. In retrospect I wish I would have just watched Coven first, then I would have enjoyed it more probably. >_>;;;;

3 started off with a really great concept, but by episode 7 they like realized they had way too many sub-plots going on so they raced to finish each as abruptly as possible (i.e., killing the neighbors and Nan and being like "meh," but then killing off everyone else and bringing them back like 40 times to keep the story going). But they still had time for an inpromptu Stevie Nicks music video???

edit: as requested 

:old-pervert-59: 

still not scary at all.

going to wait till next week to say if it sucks. but how in the hell did TVD's premiere beat theirs? i'm pretty sure coven is going to shit on this.

jessica's russian accent sucks dick. i like the first stabbing scene

Jessica's accent is German. Not Russian. lol.

Coven is my least favorite AHS, they just threw away all the plots half way through and it felt so cheap. It could have been epic but just ended up rather abysmal. The first episode of Freak Show promises a lot, so I hope they can keep up this time. Seasons 1 & 2 remain my favorites, and will be rather hard to top.

Haha, it even said 'Fraulein Elsa' somewhere on one of their banners, as well as the German music she started playing on an old phonograph. 

Either way, I watched this episode in two sits as I couldn't stay up last night and kept falling asleep throughout it, so I finished it this morning with blurry vision and a heavy head. For me it will take time getting used to the new concept, as it's fresh and needs a steady build towards a plot. Perhaps it was just because I was sleepy that I was a tad confused about everything.

I hope this season will live up to the series' name again. I'm missing the horror because that was what I started watching it for in the first place.

First episode was okay, some interesting characters / situations. The after-episode preview thingie promises some cool stuff to come, so definitely gonna stick around. :) Jessica Lange is owning her role as per usual, ayyy. Only thing that was kinda bad/weird was Kathy Bates' Irish (???) accent.

First episode was nice. Agreeing, it wasn't really scary, other than it had balloons in it, since I'm not bothered by clowns. However, they did put a lot of attention to detail which is something I've loved about this series.

For example, after the clown first shows up, the scene quickly cuts to Jessica in a diner and they're playing distorted circus music on the radio.

Additionally, the first attack goes against many horror tropes by how it was framed: outside, in an open field, in broad daylight. This is kind of uneasy to watch because it goes against what we typically expect: person left alone in a forest in the dark gets killed. This time, it was someone who wasn't alone in the middle of the day out in the open; basically that direction is saying "no where is safe--this can happen to anyone *squeaky horn noise*"

Also, completely on board with how Lobster Man makes that coin. Boyfriend material

Jessica's accent is German. Not Russian. lol.

still think is sucks. probably sliped my mind cause it was boring. as for be cheap, this shit is cheap, well so far. "we are mad at the world for being dicks, lets rise up" boohooo been done before.

still think is sucks. probably sliped my mind cause it was boring. as for be cheap, this shit is cheap, well so far. "we are mad at the world for being dicks, lets rise up" boohooo been done before.

Yes, the concept done before, but why is that a problem? 98,5% of all films, series, comics, books, music and whatnot have concepts that are all done before, often a billion times, but why exactly is that a problem? It's 2014, you won't get many original concepts no matter what you watch or listen to. If you want something that is not done before I recommend you to not watch or listen to anything, because that's the only way to avoid that.

Yes, the concept done before, but why is that a problem? 98,5% of all films, series, comics, books, music and whatnot have concepts that are all done before, often a billion times, but why exactly is that a problem? It's 2014, you won't get many original concepts no matter what you watch or listen to. If you want something that is not done before I recommend you to not watch or listen to anything, because that's the only way to avoid that.

the problem is there isn't a AHS feel to it to me like the past seasons, maybe it's just me. its just lame. also stabbing should be left to the following.

First episode was okay, some interesting characters / situations. The after-episode preview thingie promises some cool stuff to come, so definitely gonna stick around. :) Jessica Lange is owning her role as per usual, ayyy. Only thing that was kinda bad/weird was Kathy Bates' Irish (???) accent.

Kathy Bate's accent bothered me too. It felt like it was inconsistent. But then again, I wasn't exactly sure what accent she was going for in the first place. And agree 1000000% about Jessica owning it every season. I can't believe she's not going to be there next season. I don't know if I can cope. haha.

The horror genre relies heavily on recycled tropes in general. Exploring and exploiting those tropes is basically AHS' thing. Part of the fun is seeing just how many they can fit into each season and what kind of story they weave through it.