Pandabear

Horror Movies

I see. I still think you should watch The Body Snatcher. At least try to, but since 40's doesn't seem to be your favourite year in horror I guess you might not like that one either. :P

I'll come back with my list of 30's horror later this day. Expect... BORIS KARLOFF!

I'll also do my 1890-1929 list then as well.

^ I'll still try watching The Uninvited and maybe Body Snatcher, yeah.

Anyway, today me and my pal finished the Child's Play movies with Curse of Chucky, which was kinda crappy. Not much happening for half an hour, and even after that it's kinda tedious and not scary and/or funny at all, maybe in some small bits here and there. Very disappointing. Also they tried to etch it into the bigger Chucky story/universe and failed miserably imo (continuity...wut is dat?).

Yeah well, I hope at least one of those can please you. I'd be disappointed in myself if I recommended you a lot of stuff, and you ended up not enjoying a single one. It'll break my heart.

So, we've finally arrived in the 30's. Dacula became handsome, Dr. Frankenstein made a creature that later would get a bride, a man became invisible, a mummy is revived and some fuckers brought this huge ape back to Manhattan. The 30's gave us many of the geatest horror films ever, and even if you've not seen them, you've heard about a lot of them. Did I mention that this was Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi's decade? No? Well, it was.

1. Frankenstein

A lot of peole don't like this all that because it wasn't a straigt adaption. A lot was changed, and the monster wasn't just misunderstood, but mean and scary. But this is a classic film. A legendary film. This film made Boris Karloff, and Boris Karloff "made" this film. His performance as Frankenstein's Monster is hailed as one of the finest performances ever, and I agree. It is also the performance that made me adore Boris Karloff already as a kid, long before I became a horror maniac. This is an atmospheric piece of close-to-perfect horror. It's just a bloody great film.

2. The Bride of Frankenstein

Often praised for being closer to the novel than the original, and while that is very true, I don't think it is a better film. Boris Karloff is Boris Karloff. Perfect as always. Elsa Lanchester also deserves a mention for her brilliant role as Frankenstein's Bride (yes, the monster did become known as Frankenstein, despite not really being Frankenstein). The reason I prefer the first one, is because I find it to be way more atmospheric than this one.

3. The Black Cat

Another Boris Karloff picture? How fucking weird. But guess what? Did doesn't only include Boris Kaloff, it also includes Bela Lugosi and they are both amazing here, in their first of eight films together. This was an unsual film for its time, and if you've seen many films from this time you'll notice how the score is used here, compared to other films at the time. It was unique. Atmospheric pice with acting out of the ordinary and a great score. A film you'll love, if you're into 30's horror.

4. Dracula

Bela Lugosi! Not my favourite Dracula film, but this is among the best. Bela Lugosi is brilliant here. The way he speaks, the way he moves, the way he stares ice cold out in the air. Jesus, what a performance! The film itself is quite usual for its time. Slow, atmospheric horror that builds slowly up to the climax. Great film!

5. King Kong

There's been several atempts to remake this, but none even gets close to this masterpiece. Fay Wray's amazing, Willis O'Brien's stop-motion animation is BRILLIANT and the score is great too. All this makes a great film. People can remake it as many times they want, but no one will come close to even touching the greatness of this masterpiece.

6. The Mummy

Boris Karloff stars in this horror film about a revived ancient Egyptian priest. Not quite as atmospheric as Dracula, Frankenstein x2 or The Black Cat, but still a damn fine film and Boris Karloff is amazing as always. It's a very romantic, yet suspenseful film. Gotta love it!

7. Vampyr

This is a haunting, nightmarish film with superb special effects which always gave me the impression it was alla bout style over substance. It's a very abstract film, very unique for its time. Slow bizarre and atmospheric. This ain't one for all, but I loved it!

8. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse

This was the second installment in Fritz Lang's Dr. Mabuse trilogy, and it's more or less just as good as the first one. Blending crime, horror and fantasy made this quite a unique film fo its time. Well-acted, great pacing and atmospheric and fine. Very, very, very good film as expected by Fritz Lang.

9. The Invisible Man

I feel like this film is a bit overlooked. Claude Rains stars as the invisible man, and despite only hearing his voice for most of the film, he's impressive in his role. His voice, the body language. It's perfect. And the special effects were amazing. Even today you'll ask yourself if this film was really made 80 years ago. It's amazing, and these special effects just have to be seen.

10. White Zombie

This is most likely the first zombie film ever, and the film which gave White Zombie their band name. A lot of other early zombie films from the 40's borrowed heavily from this, and with good reason. It's a great, though overlooked film. This film deserves so much more!

It was a hard year. There's several other films I wanted to include. Damn, what a year. Universal Monsters was the shit!

For some reason I just realised I completely forgot about Jigoku, Kuroneko and Hanyo when I was going though the 60's horror films. These are three classic Asian horror films from the 60's. That's a bit embarrassing to be honest. If they would have been included on the list I do not know, but forgeting about them? Unforgiving! :P

Anyway, I'm going back to the 20's. To me, personally, this is by fa the best decade of horror ever. There wasn't as many horror films as in later decaded, but the quality of the "few" horror films that was released was jost insane. It was crazy, man. Full of unique films with unique atmosphere and all that. However, I can understand that not all people love these films. Being silent, and often very experimental and so on. But me, fucking hell!

1. Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

This is, by far, the best vampire film ever, and obviously the best Dracula film ever. Dracula never looked as awesome as this again. Max Schreck doesn't only look good as Orlok, though, but he also acted well. His stares are creey as fuck, and his body language is incredible and he's out of this world. The whole film is like a semi-surreal, creepy, eerie nightmare. There's no film in history with an atmosphere as thick and good as this. My all time favourite horror film, and second favourite film overall. This is, hands down, perfection!

2. Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari

The first thing you'll notice here is the incredible sets. They're very stylized with abstract jagged buildings painted on canvas backdrops and flats. To add to this strange style, the actors used an unrealistic technique that exhibited "jerky" and dance-like movements. (yes, I took that from Wiki! :D). And all this makes this film very dream like, nightmarish and unique, and this is even more surreal than Nosferatu. They can't even be compared on this point. And this has one HUGE treat for eveyone who watches it. One thing that inspired more or less all film makes in history of film, even those who haven't seen it. That's true, and that says it all. One of the very best horror films in the history of film.

3. The Phantom of the Opera

This is by far the best adaption of The Phantom of the Opera, and Lon Chaney's performance is just out of this world. This film sat the standard for Universal Monsters films to come, and it sat the bar extremely high. Very atmospheric and nice film. The man of a thousand faces would never reach this high again, and that says it all. Lon Chaney was one of the big cinema Gods in history of cinema. Massive!

4. Faust – Eine deutsche Volkssage

The sets in this film should alone be more than enough to please any fan of horror. God damn! The scene with Mephistopholes looking over the town, ready to do his work, should alone be more than enough to please any fan of horror. Yeah, that's right. Visually, this is on par with films such as Metropolis and Blade Runner. Outstanding doesn't even cover half of it.

5. Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Benjamin Christensen directed this film and acted as the devil himself. Benjamin Christensen was just way ahead of his time. Way, way, way ahead, and the devil is oen of the best portrayals of devils on film ever. This is half and half documentary and live action, and it's a very artsy and unique film. I can't really say much about it. You just have to experience this for yourself.

6. The Hands of Orlac

Haunting atmosphere. That there is what this film i all about. It's the atmosphere. Because the acting isn't the best on this list, nor are the storytelling, but the atmosphere is among the best here. Robert Wiene had previously made Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, and while there is some expressionist sets and stuff here, this isn't nearly as experimental and weird as Das Cabinet. Not even close. So even if you dislike Das Cabinet, or otherwise, I recommend you to check out the other one. It's a great film full of suspense and amazing atmosphere.

7. Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde

John Barrymore was a great actor and this is robably his finest performance ever. Not onlythat, it was his most over the top, crazy performance as well, and that says it all. This is worth watching for that alone. This isn't really as good as the 1931 version (which should have been included on my previous list), but it's a damn fine adaption anyway. Great, great film!

8. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

I always thought this was the best of all the adaptions of this novel, and much of that is because of Lon Chaney who's amazing as always. It's not a very gruesome film, not a suspenseful or atmospheric film, yet it manages to creat something totally unique that I do not know what to call. It's just a lovely film. A really lovely film.

9. The Golem: How He Came Into the World

Great, atmospheric film which resembles Frankenstein in some ways. The sets, lighting and amosphere makes this a true classic worthy of any man's time. As with most expressionist films of the silent era, this is also very surreal and nightmarish.

10. The Student of Prague

I guess it's fair to call this a overlooked and forgotten film, yeah? Because that's what this is. I always thought this was a romantic, yet eerie and sad film. Very Faustian, but that's always positive. Great film!

The quality of these films, man. I cannot put words to it. It's just insane. And that just sums up most decades to me. This was fun to be honest. Very, very fun! And thanks to Jigsaw and everybody else who helped making this a fun ride. :D

Awesome lists! Dammit, there's tons of stuff on there that I actually either planned to watch or even downloaded but haven't seen yet (and then some more). xD I feel so under-educated. ;w;

Anyway, here's my itsby-bitsy teeny-weeny '20s-'30s horror listy thingie~

1. Bride of Frankenstein

I actually only have a very faint recollection of watching the first movie, so this takes the cake for me. Lots of memorable scenes, great atmosphere and settings, Boris Karloff is awesome and so is Elsa Lanchester in her small but all the more significant role(s). Also gotta mention Ernest Thesiger playing Dr. Pretorious, delightfully sinister and cool.

2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

This movie looks so iconic and amazing it's not even funny. I didn't know what to really expect when I first watched it (save for weird set designs and lots of eye makeup, lol) but it blew me away. It was a lot more exciting and intriguing than what I originally expected. The frame-like narrative is an excellent touch as well, makes it more interesting.

3. Dracula

Well it's Tod Browning directing Béla Lugosi in a vampire movie, no wonder it's considered an all-time classic. Very good and eerie atmospheres and moods coupled with that wonderfully unsettling and mesmerising vibe Lugosi brings to his character...and dat accent! A real solid flick that is completely enjoyable to watch even today.

4. The Hands of Orlac

I checked this movie out after nosing around a bit on IMDB and discovering it had familiar staff/cast members who brought the story of Caligari to life. I wasn't disappointed! This is one of the coolest silent movies I've ever seen, with genuinely creepy and nightmare-like atmosphere you could cut with a knife. Lots of great scenes and expressions -- also props for the superb soundtrack!

5. Dracula

Drac again, hah! This is the Spanish version that was shot parallel to the Lugosi classic with the same sets, but of course different actors. I dunno, there's just something about the Count of Carlos Villarías and the Renfield of Pablo Álvarez Rubio that really makes it work. A lot more over the top, I guess that's the selling point for me, lol. Close in quality to Lugosi's movie!

Already have these in my "to-watch" file folders on my USB:

- The Fall of the House of Usher

- Der müde Tod

- Faust

- Schatten

- The Golem

- Vampyr

- Waxworks

That's a geat list, and in my eyes you've also got lots of great films to look forward to. I just love this decade of horror films because of the expressionists and all that which made the films so very nightmarish and unique.

And a small list of horror films before the 1920's: (all these films should be fairly easy to find on youtube and similar sites)

1. L'inferno (1911)

Another damn fine film. 60 minutes long and very, very good. I'm not gonna say much about this. Take a look at this: AWESOME! How awesome is that? Amazing film!

2. Der Student von Prag (1913)

This masterpiece is often considered the first real horror film in history, and often seen as the first independent film in history. I've only seen the 41 minute version, but th film has been restored and released in an 81 minutes version as well, which is supossed to be even better. But I haven't found that with subs/in English yet, so I'll wait. It's a great film in fact, even by todays standards if you ask me. Great atmosphere!

3. Frankenstein (1910)

This was a great begining for Frankenstein. It's made in 1910, so obviously it ain't scary or anything. But it's a cool, 16 minute long horror film before horror films became horror films about horror. Yeah, you get that? Frankenstein looks badass, it's got great costumes, good acting and decent touch of atmosphere. It's short and absolutely worth watching.

4. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916)

Another really good film, and the first film ever to be filmed under water. Not with actualy waterproof cameras, but with different teqniques. It's a long film (100 minutes), so it's not for everyone. But I think this is a fabolous film. It's not really horror, though. But still, I included it.

5. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1913)

I think this is a great adation of the famous tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's well made for its time. Atmospheric and cool. It's 26 minutes long, so it's not all that long. This is absolutely worth watching IMO.

6. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1912)

Not as good as the 1913 version, but still damn fine. 12 minutes long, and a very fun film. I really enjoyed this as well.

6. The Devil's Castle (1896)

When talking about pre 1920's film, and especially horror, you can't make a list without Georges Méliès. The man was a magician and took great use of that in his films. Often conaidered the films vampire film, and I agree to some degree. But I am not sure if it really is, even though it does have some traits of that. It's 3 minutes long and a film most people should check out just out of curiosity at least. I think it's a fairly entertaining film, though not at all as entertaining and great his 13 minute long A Trip To the Moon, which was made in 1902.

That's about it as far as I can remember. Lots of fun!

hi guys. could you please recommend me some stuff with good mind game in it? i really like saw and cube and it would be cool to watch something similar. thaaanks orz

First of all, keep in mind that I have not seen all of these films, but I do believe these are films in the vein of Saw and Cube.

Unknown

W Delta Z (The Killing Gene)

La habitación de Fermat

Haze

Das Experiment

Identity

Exam

The Killing Room

Se7en

The Disappearance of Alice Creed

There is also an episode of The Twilight Zone (from 1961) called Five Characters In Search of an Exit, which I am 100% was the main inspiration for Cube. It's only 25 minutes long, but it is an an absolutely killer episode. Well worth your time, even if you're not that into this old stuff.

So yeah, Se7en, Identity and Das Experiment isn't exactly the same, but they have much of the same in it and the first time I saw Saw and Cube I was remembered of these films among others. They're playful, demented and damn good films. The psychologial aspect of these films have a lot in common with Saw and Cube.

wow that's quite a bunch! @_@ going to check everything from the list whenever i'll have time. thank you! 

I would also like to add these three:

Would You Rather

Triangle

Dark City

The last one isn't really horror and might seem weird that I added it, but somehow it has that underlying theme for me (someone trying to escape and/or piece the "puzzle" together to uncover something, etc). Plus it has a totally rad eerie gothic/steampunk kind of vibe.

ayyyyy jig, thanks man! 8D 

also speaking about the twilight zone: is it worth checking the whole series for a horror newbie like me? 

Dark City is a bloody fucking masterpiece. There's nothing about the film that isn't top notch. It's a brilliant piece of dark sci-fi.

also speaking about the twilight zone: is it worth checking the whole series for a horror newbie like me? 

It depends on what you like and what you want to see.

The original series (59-64) is often considered one of the best TV-series of all time, and one of the most influential ones. But it's an old one, and you need to be one that can enjoy things old. I haven't seen all of it myself, but from what I've seen I consider it a must-see. It's an anthology television series, so trying it out won't hurt you. The episode sin the first 3 seasons are 25 minutes long, so it won't take too much of your time if you wouldn't end up enjoying it.

The first revival (85-89) is also worth watching from what I've seen, but not nearly as good as the original one. But for people who don't want to dive into things from the 60's it's sure worth a try. Longer episodes in the first seasons, though.

However, The Twilight Zone isn't a pure horror series, though. It's mostly a mix of sci-fi, horror, fantasy, psychologial thriller and suspense. But I love what I've seen. Planning on watching everything of ourse.

I started watching the original Twilight Zone series a while ago but got kinda stuck after a few episodes (too "oldie" for me maybe). Nevertheless, it had some good ideas.

Sorry to change the subject but: there's a new trailer for Eli Roth's cannibal movie The Green Inferno!

I hope it delivers.

@Bear, since you've been watching some cannibal themed movies recently as I see, which ones would you recommend? I've only seen Cannibal Holocaust (was okay) and Massacre in Dinosaur Valley (über-cheesefest but fun). Are there any modern-day cannibal flicks btw? Cuz I haven't really came across any with this typical jungle setting, etc.

Nah, there hasn't been many new films in the vein of the 70's and early 80's cannibal films. It's a forgotten subgenre of exploitation. Shame to be honest. The only one I can think of is Nella terra dei cannibali, but I haven't seen it. And the guy behind this film also remade Cannibal Holocaust, but it's supossed to be shit.

Anyway, for cannibal films check out these:

1. Cannibal Ferox (9/10)

2. Eaten Alive (9/10)

3. The Mountain of the Cannibal God (8,5/10)

4. Ultimo mondo cannibale (8/10)

5. The Man from the Deep River (7/10)

You also have films such as Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, Cannibal Apocalypse, Papaya, Love Goddess of the Cannibals and more, but these are more for the hardcore fans of the genre I think.

But keep in mind that I am almost uncritical to everything exploitation before the 90's, so I might be a bit biased.

Thanks for the recommendations! :) I've seen Cannibal Ferox mentioned all over the place, so I guess I'll start with that one.

Not a bad choice at all. The Mountain of the Cannibal God is probably the one with the highest production standards, though. The budget must've been a lot higher than on the others. Hella lot higher too.

Went through this whole thread, and there are lots of films I need to check out now thanks to you guys! I'm huge on horror/exploitation/experimental films, but I suppose I don't really have much to recommend. I'm more into splatter/slasher/shock films more than anything, so I guess if I were to name some faves, they'd be Rubber's Lover, 964 Pinocchio, Color Me Blood Red, and even the infamous Guinea Pig series. 

Rubber's Lover and 964 Pinocchio are both by Shozin Fukui, and are both considered to be cyberpunk films, along with movies like Tetsuo: The Iron Man etc, but I still consider them horror nonetheless. Plenty of surreal effects, graphic violence, bizarre shit and the like. I love 'em.

Color Me Blood Red is the only non-japanese one on that short list, but there are many other films I love that are non-japanese of course. 

I wouldn't really recommend the Guinea Pig series to anyone, lol. Even though it's on my favorites list, I still think it's cheesy as hell, but great at the same time. Somehow, I never really thought the effects were all THAT realistic, but I guess that's because I've became desensitized to gore movies over the years.

Some other honorable mentions include Eraserhead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and of course, Halloween. 

Eraserhead surely isn't a typical horror film, but it's depressing as fuck. It's probably one of the only movies out there that have made me feel disconnected from the world around me throughout the course of watching it. All around great.

I don't even think I need to talk about the other two movies I mentioned. They're just plain great. In fact, I don't even know why I included those in just "honorable mentions" but whatever.

With that said, I'm open to any recommendations you guys might have~

Rubber's Lover and 964 Pinocchio are rad!! If you like such movies, and especially Tetsuo, I strongly recommend Electric Dragon 80,000V. It's an amazing/hilarious flick directed by cult punk director Sogo Ishii and starring the always excellent Tadanobu Asano. Interesting tidbit: the harsh noise-rock soundtrack of the movie was provided by their (the director's and actor's) own band Mach 1.67. :D

Also, Eraserhead is amazing.

I've heard many great things about Sogo Ishii, but I still haven't gotten around to watching any of his films for some reason. Someone recommended that I watch Burst City, but I'll definitely start with Electric Dragon first now!

Might go on to Burst City after that one~

I guess you've seen them if you'e into splatter films, but a few recommendations anyway:

Blood Feast

Two Thousand Maniacs!

Color Me Blood Red

The Wizard of Gore

The Gore Gore Girls

All made by Herschell Gordon Lewis, known for making Blood Feast, the first ever real splatter film. All these are early examples of splatter films, but amazing classics nonetheless. These are mandatory if you're into splatters.

I'll post it here too:

hiresneversleep2040610.jpg

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy - Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy is a four hour long documentary about everything that has to do with the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, and a bit about how New Line Cinema got so big. This movie serves you good, interesting and very entertainting interview with people such as Wes Craven, Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, Robert Shaye, John Saxon, Alice Cooper and Dokken among others, as well as lots of other info about scripts and ideas that was never used, the special effects and much more.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy is a fantastic documentary that's sniffing on a 10/10. Four hours of pure gold, and a must-see for every fan of A Nightmare on Elm Street, be it just the first film, several of the films or all of them. Pure gold!

Not films, but I've started watching two series:

The Twilight Zone

11-12 episodes in and the horror is lacking (even though I know there will come several episodes). So far it's been psychological sci-fi/thriller/fantasy. I'm really enjoying the series so far, though.

The Munsters

The Munsters is a lighthearted sitcom with a horrortheme. The show was running at the same time as The Addams Family (both got two seasons from 64-66), but lacks the black comedy of The Addams Family. I'm really enjoying this series for what it is, much due to its horror themes. The mom is a vampire, the dad is similar to Frankenstein's monster, Grandpa/The Count/Sam Dracula is a vampire, the youngest kid is an werewolf and their niese is a regular human being. From what I've seen I prefer The Addams Family for being darker, but I'm enjoying this as I said. Al Lewis is fantastic as the sarcastic Grandpa. He's really impressive!

oh speaking about horror series, did anyone watch this? my friend recommended me this, so prolly gonna start when i'll finish bear and jig's list of movies xD (only three movies left!)

I have also laid my eyes upon Penny Dreadful, but haven't started watching yet. Supposedly it's an interesting mixture of styles presented in a dark and entertaining tone.

Thanks for reminding me of it! :) Maybe I'll now track down the episodes aired so far.