Champ213

Game songs/soundtracks

As the title says, let's talk about our favourite songs from games or game soundtracks in general!

I'll start with a bit of an obvious choice, but Skyrim does have some amazing music. "Wind guide you", the main "map" music is just beautiful, especially the middle part.

And obviously, "Sovngarde" makes my viking heart shed heroic tears of epicness. XD

Other than that, I really like "Venice Rooftops" from Assassin's Creed II as well. I can't be the only one who was doing the checkpoint races over and over again just to hear this song? XD (And well, the races were my favourite sidequests anyway.)

And, going a bit further back, the whole Monkey Island Soundtrack was just great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvGZREDSp4

So, what are your favourite songs/soundtracks?

Would say that Tekken 1-5 (+ TTT) soundtracks in the first place (but mostly Tekken 2 tho):

also, various nostalgia busters: 

(Stewart Copeland in general is a pure genius :))

Oh, great idea for a thread Champ!

I haven't played too much Skyrim yet, so I can't really say that much about the OST. I agree on Venice Rooftops though, love it!

Ratonhnhaké:ton from Assassin's Creed 3: The Tyranny of King Washington is just gorgeous.

I really liked fighting in the pub as Haytham in AC3 because of the awesome background music Fight Club, so I did that a lot!

Also Final Fantasy XIII's battle theme was really rad:

Same with FFXIII-2's paradigm shift theme (horrible game, kick-ass soundtrack):

I'll probably think of some more later, haha.

That "Theme of Jun" from Tekken 2 sounds incredibly 80s, even though the game was released in 1995. XD

And yess, lots of good music in Final Fantasy. One song I am particulary attached to is "Ride on", the "airship" theme from FF8.

It's just so cheerful and happy and makes you not want to land anymore, lol.

Xenogears is probably my top favorite game OST. It's got amazing haunting melodies that'll send shivers down your spine. Perfectly fitting to the game's scale of the plot. The composer is Yasunori Mitsuda, same guy who did Chrono Cross/Trigger and Xenosaga.

I could go on forever here, but I'll limit myself to just one soundtrack this time - and that is the soundtrack to the retro fuck 'em up-game Hotline Miami. Not only is it one of the best games made since 97, it's also topped off with an amazing soundtrack. It's great on its own and even better while playing the game. Turn off the lights and turn up your volume and play this game for a coule of hours. It's so hypnotic and mesmerizing. Amazing!

Dear God, video game soundtracks have really stepped up the game over the past 10 years or so. Holy fuckity fuck! I'm a huge fan of soundtracks to a crapload of 90's video games, but in the last decade shit's been taken to a whole new level with the addition of synthwave, weirdass techno-esque music and so. I can't get enough.

Portal to my childhood~

Spoiler

I've only played like 2 VNs b/c they're too damn long (just watch/read adaptations), but the music is hella good. Neknoneko Soft (Mizuiro, Lamune, etc.) music is my guilty pleasure.

Spoiler

Edited by colorfuljinsei

@Bear Crypt of the Necrodancer has an incredible soundtrack, even better while you're playing it since it's a rhythm game.

I highly recommend Hotline Miami's soundtrack if you can't get enough of this type of music. 

I would have so much to contribute to this thread, except I'm constantly unsure whether the songs I like are actually good or if I just associate them with epic/memorable/heart breaking moments. I do think the songs are really good as standalones, but even better when in the context of the game. 

I also feel like I should maybe say something about each piece? I know others haven't and I'm prolly just rambling but... 

Apocalypsis Magnatus is actually an exception to the rule, because I literally have no idea at what point in the game this plays, I can not for the life of me remember, but I listened to it on the soundtrack and it's beautiful.

Those who've played Final Fantasy XV will probably recognise the basic tune as being the same as Apocalypsis Noctis and Apocalypsis Aquarius. But this has a totally unique twist to it that I feel like brought the original piece to the next level. I also like the slow, delicate beginning that then builds up to an epic theme. I like songs like that.

Become Fire mixes up so many emotions together that I can't even start to comprehend it. It has threatening moments, moments of solace and happiness and moments of battle. Like it's just a mixture of everything episode Ignis was. And it makes me very emotional. 

Okay, so, this isn't directly from Final Fantasy V, but it's by the band formed by the composer of every Final Fantasy game up to IX so... it counts. Uematsu just really wanted to perform a metal version of all the epic themes he had composed previously.

Step aside, Sephiroth. Dancing Mad is gonna kick One-winged Angel's butt.

If you've played Dragon Age II and remember anything from it, you'll notice that Mage Pride is literally Fenris Theme, but with lyrics (lyrics made with a made-up language). I'd like to think that there was some thought put behind using the "mage hater's" theme as a basis for a song called Mage Pride.

At first I was a bit iffy about Trevor Morris as a composer, because I thought Dragon Age: Inquisition's soundtrack wasn't as memorable as DA: Origins and DAII's soundtracks had been, but he redeemed himself with Trespasser's soundtrack. I can barely listen to Dark Solas Theme without feeling a lump in my throat.

I'll conclude this with a single light-hearted theme from Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth.

You'll really get into objecting people when this plays.

9 hours ago, platy said:

@Bear Crypt of the Necrodancer has an incredible soundtrack, even better while you're playing it since it's a rhythm game.

I highly recommend Hotline Miami's soundtrack if you can't get enough of this type of music. 

I've not played through the game yet, but I've tried it now and then. And yeah, the gameplay truly adds to the soundtrack. Or the opposite. Anyway, fantastic soundtrack.

The Hotline Miami soundtrack was the one I mentioned in the post above my new one where I mentioned Crypt of the Necrodancer and more. Hehe! Both HM games got brilliant soundtracks.

I mentioned Far Cry: Blood Dragon earlier, and this is the best track on the soundtrack:

This one of actually from a cult 80's film called Miami Connection. A total fucking cheese fest with two of my favourite songs ever (Friends Forever being one of them). A must-see for any fan of cheese!

Always loved this song when you first turn on the game.

After managing to beat the secret boss on critical mode, the song is forever stuck in my head. Really good, though.

On 11/17/2013 at 4:54 PM, chemicalpictures said:

In my humble opinion, the greatest game and sountrack of all time is Chrono Cross.

There's everybody favorite Time's Scar:

But this game soundtrack is such a masterpiece that I have trouble only picking a few: