paradoxal

[GAME] Sid Meyer's Civilization

5x4knq.jpg

I figured out there must be other Civilization players in here!

I've been playing CIV 4 and 5 for a couple of years. Currently I'm playing only CIV5 because of the awesome expansion packs. I have them both - The Gods and Kings and The Brave New World. I've never spent any money more wisely; if you don't already have them, you should buy them right now.

Do you play CIV?

Have you ever tried it but hated it anyways?

What's your favorite CIV game?

Can you build an empire to stand the test of time?

I've been playing this all week :V

I just finished my second game and aim for a different victory type each time. So far I've won with science and by building a utopian society.

Going to try multiplayer this Sunday for the first time with my friend from college ---> work. We'll see how long we can be friendly with each other...

You know I've had CIV 5 just sitting on my hard drive since the steam summer sale... don't know when I'll play it either, maybe this summer xD

but in all seriousness I've heard it's awesome and really fun and addicting, but I just don't know when I'll have the time to play it... I'm kinda in a video game rut right now where I have so much stuff I need to play, but I can't seem to build up the drive to actually play :/

I've been playing this all week :V

I just finished my second game and aim for a different victory type each time. So far I've won with science and by building a utopian society.

Going to try multiplayer this Sunday for the first time with my friend from college ---> work. We'll see how long we can be friendly with each other...

If you've been playing that much, you should seriously consider buying the expansion pack "Brave new world"!! In the base game the cultural victory is the lamest thing ever and BNW drastically changes it. There's no utopia project, but instead they've added a new feature: tourism. In order to win the cultural victory, your culture should be dominant in all other civilizations. In BNW, Great Artists are divided into different groups: great artists, great musicians and great writers. With those kind of great people you can create Great Works, which bring tourism points to your civilization. Your tourism points act like "an attack" against other civilizations culture, and your culture points act like "an defense" against other civilizations tourism.

The new cultural victory also makes late-game wars much more interesting; if your culture is dominant in another civilization, then when you're capturing another city, it will join your empire without a revolt and with only a tiny amount of population loss. I've always loved late-game wars with all the stealth bombers and mechanized infantries, but BNW makes it even more intriguing.

You know I've had CIV 5 just sitting on my hard drive since the steam summer sale... don't know when I'll play it either, maybe this summer xD

but in all seriousness I've heard it's awesome and really fun and addicting, but I just don't know when I'll have the time to play it... I'm kinda in a video game rut right now where I have so much stuff I need to play, but I can't seem to build up the drive to actually play :/

You should really have a lot of time in your hands when you start to play CIV... I play always on the quick mode and with all those expansion packs one game lasts about 8-9 hours... And it's almost impossible to stop playing it :D "Just one more turn... After this war... After I've built that wonder..."

I have played this game more than I should have, lol. It's one of those "Just one more round and then I go to bed..... oh, hey, are those birds singing outside?"-type of games. XD

My favourite victory so far: bribe the city states into submission while conquering all other civilisations, except Alexander (I left Alexander because he has a high tolerance against warmongers and liked me even when I was a ravaging tyrant subjugating the entire world. Plus, he's a cutie.) Then, when it's only me and Alexander left, initiate a UN vote - and win for lack of other candidates. So cynical. :D

He is, when you are playing nice and peaceful, he is usually one of the first to attack me unprovoked. Well, he and Attila. But when I was just as psychotic as him, he became quite pleasant when other leaders were just pissed off at me, lol. He's also fairly venal, you can often bribe him into attacking other nations with you.

And in the end when it was only me and him left, he was actually afraid of me. But yeah, it seems that Alexander respects strength, but will exploit any weakness you may show. And playing for anything but domination seems to be weak in his eyes. That's why he tends to be so irritating.

Granted, I was on one of the lower difficulty levels when I played that game, not sure how that strategy would work out in more difficult levels. Playing for domination seems to become incresingly more difficult the higher you get. I think it also makes the A.I.s more aggressive and more likely to initiate a war.

I have played this game more than I should have, lol. It's one of those "Just one more round and then I go to bed..... oh, hey, are those birds singing outside?"-type of games. XD

My favourite victory so far: bribe the city states into submission while conquering all other civilisations, except Alexander (I left Alexander because he has a high tolerance against warmongers and liked me even when I was a ravaging tyrant subjugating the entire world. Plus, he's a cutie.) Then, when it's only me and Alexander left, initiate a UN vote - and win for lack of other candidates. So cynical. :D

Wow that sounds pretty badass. Alexander is also one of my "favorite" warmongers because he's so cute... Huns are freaking annoying since they bully every single citystate to hell and back and in the end they always get their asses kicked. Zulus are also annoying, they've declared a war against me gazillion times but they've never attacked me.

But the civilization I hate the most is England. Elizabeth is one cold bitch who doesn't ever wanna trade with me. My whole game is ruined if Elizabeth's in it. I just hate her.

My favorite civ is probably Morocco and a good second is Brazil, Morocco is nice and peaceful and makes good trades. Morocco is also one of my favorite civs to play with, along with Pocatello (Shoshone). Pocatello is an amazingly good choice if you want to play peacefully and create a large empire. All founded cities start with extra territory (a lot of it!), their scouts are as powerful as warriors and your units get a combat bonus when fighting within friendly territory.

But the civilization I hate the most is England India. Elizabeth is one cold bitch who doesn't ever wanna trade with me. My whole game is ruined if Elizabeth's in it. I just hate her. MOTHERFUCKIN NUKES!

ftfy

My friend plays this a lot and her nemesis is George Washington. She said he's incredibly rude and the AI goes out of its way to ruin everything.

I see there's a single hexagon space in the middle of your country. Would be a shame....if I founded St. Louis there...old-pervert-46.gif.pagespeed.ce.eTYRjXAX

(Is this the only appropriate time to use that emoticon?)

She also said Alexander the Great is pretty hell bent on killing everyone even on the easiest mode.

I spent many hours with Civilzation III, but after a while the 'stacks of doom' (multiple units on a single tile) got really tedious. Also, the AI seemed to be cheating quite often with battles turning out in their favor most of the time for no apparent reason among other trickery. And the game's focus on founding a ton of cities making you powerful didn't allow for much variation in tactics.

I didn't think much of Civilization IV. It was decent, never played it much.

Civilization V is the best game yet, especially with the expansions. The only downside IMO is the lack of an option to stop advancement at a certain point in time. I would especially like to stop advancement in the middle ages or around the time of WW1. I don't like the modern and future era's at all.