JukaForever

Uploader's Café

Question for the uploaders in this forum or other site, what is the most downloads you have for a single release? Assuming you have a way of keeping track. I am genuinely curious.

Mine is Light Bringer - Scenes of Infinity MP3 ver with about 1100 DLs so far. I didn't expect so many, I thought it would be something like 300-500.

Interestingly things I noticed go through my uploads, most of the comments I get in 4shared are those that are Spanish. And none of my lossless uploads get past 20 DLs which is why lossless is now a request only for me to do.

I'm pretty sure that most of the links here have been shared outside of MH e.g. being copied and pasted in public on Blogspot.

And those blogs never care about lossless rips, though. That's why.

Well if it's a popular artists like Gazette or Dir En Grey, yea it will be reupped and likely re formatted. But for indie/obscure artists, I don't think as much will be reupped especially if the original link still works.

Guest Magatsu

Blogs normally never re-upload stuff. they only hotlink.

And I'm glad that they don't take FLAC links.

So please just keep up uploading flac for people over here :D

I wish blogs would take the time to re-upload the stuff they repost. That would actually be useful. Sometimes when you are looking for some older release the original link might be dead, so having some mirrors would be nice. But it's not uncommon to look for a specific older release and find nothing but the EXACT SAME dead link reposted on 4-5 blogs. So frustrating. XD

Oh, and the file with most downloads in my Mediafire account are the limited-edition bonus tracks from Girugamesh - NOW with around 3300 downloads, followed by Ascendead Master by Versailles with 3200 downloads.

lol yeah, getting to blog after blog with dead links, the only thing you can do is google harder...

When I was a blog uploader I actually re-upped everything :U . Then my MF account got closed so that was the end of that.

Did you only upload Japanese music or American music also in your account? I figure if the file doesn't get too much activity (downloads or maybe mirrors too, I am not sure how mirroring works tbh), then the account should be on the low from suspicion.

Blogs normally never re-upload stuff. they only hotlink.

And I'm glad that they don't take FLAC links.

So please just keep up uploading flac for people over here :D

Only by request for me. Well I don't think the average listener knows the difference between lossy and lossless in the first place, so it's better for them to just take the popular format. I have to rip in .wav else I can't use the lossless rips with my iPod Classic so sorry I can't provide FLAC as the lossless format.

I actually wonder if there are blogs that are Japanese ran that does the same thing we do. Why the hell does google not show them.

Guest Magatsu

I don't really think Japanese people share that much music like we do.

most things are shared by non-Japanese people.

Also Japanese people love to buy stuff on CD way more ^^

Manga get's way more shared around the interwebs by Japanese people. (at least I thinks so)

And FLAC or WAV it are both lossless. Both are okay for me.  Only wav doesn't save metadata.

Japanese do not pirate as much, but when they do, filenames are often shortened or.in code, and they put stuff to sites you need membership, or one of.the two popular p2p sites they have. It is a pain, and better just to use an english or South American site.

Manga is ripped more by them, but also majorly done by French people. A lot of people quit ripping manga after a public letter by Shounen Jump asking them to.stop and explaining why.it hurt them. I think it was kind of beautiful that they.stopped, and showed how much.some people cared.

Guest Magatsu

Yes but there are also unknown bands who don't want that their music will be around the interwebs.

Well you forget the Russian fans. they are also the king of sharing.

huh really French people did scan also a lot of manga? amazing. I didn't knew that.

But it's true that there are some manga are very difficult to get in RAW nowdays. but that aren't SHOUNEN JUMP titles at all.

I have over 20-30k for stuff I uploaded the past.

They were out on a site that stores them in the db and people search for downloads as opposed to just getting what id on page 1.

I stopped uploading unless an artist is not well known enough imo, since people dont appreciate it, or will never buy a physical copy to support. Just my feeling.

I don't understand these sentences.

Did you mean, one or multiple files of yours got 20-30k downloads? WOW !! What file were those?

db...id...page 1....what is that about?

With that last sentence, so you don't upload non-well-known artists because there isn't a big enough audience? That is interesting since in my opinion, if the artist is not well known, they couldn't hurt from a few hundred downloads for more exposure.

My top 3 files are:

Royz - Revoution to new age (5081 downloads)

UNiTE. - MEANiNG (3928 downloads)

Royz - Starry Heaven (3387 downloads)

Yes but there are also unknown bands who don't want that their music will be around the interwebs.

Then they shouldn't release anything.

or cease to be in a public act (entertainment business). It's quite a contradiction (or maybe just weird) for those in the entertainment business to not want their music spread. Exception to those who knows they suck or keeping their music to friends only.

My top 3 files are:

Royz - Revoution to new age (5081 downloads)

UNiTE. - MEANiNG (3928 downloads)

Royz - Starry Heaven (3387 downloads)

Wow, your top 2 already costs about 300K in CD sales. I am not trying to rile up your conscience but its just interesting in my observation. No wonder the penalty are crazy for uploaders.

I don't understand these sentences.

Did you mean, one or multiple files of yours got 20-30k downloads? WOW !! What file were those?

db...id...page 1....what is that about?

With that last sentence, so you don't upload non-well-known artists because there isn't a big enough audience? That is interesting since in my opinion, if the artist is not well known, they couldn't hurt from a few hundred downloads for more exposure.

And yeah, Russians do upload tons, and actually try to keep old stuff alive.

As for he manga thing, the numbee one site for rips was French, which did many magazines. They also provided the scans for some of the biggest comics being scanlated. They stopped immediately afterthat letter, for all magazines, not just jump. IMO scanlation was never the same, and some comics stopped being translated and havent been done since.

For more obscure magazines and manga I am not sure if this is ultimately a good thing, but it was done with the intentions no?

oh wow, I guess you have the record so far and I didn't expect that band to have that many interests...well I am not much of a fan of Oshare Kei but that is interesting.

I don't think youtube view count = popularity necessarily. A better, although minimally, away to assess popularity is the relation between view count AND likes ratio. There are many indie artists that have like ratios of 1000:1 with maybe 10k views while other more "popular" artists have large view count and terrible like ratios. So I don't think view count really equates being liked for their music.

I noticed that Russia has many sites with flac uploaders as well, the download speed is pretty slow in comparison to servers closer to me but no sense to cry over it.

I do not care much if it is discharged or not my upload, basically I want to share my purchase and if someone wants to download it, do it and if not, be sure that if some other will interest it. :3

Guest Magatsu

haha so true words.

But I respect my friends so I won't upload their shizzel.

Even if I know that with sharing their first releases maybe would give them a boost.

From the files that are still available for download:

My top 3 at the moment :)

Halloween Junky Orchestra - Halloween Party |  3661 downloads

Nightmare - NIGHTMARE (selftitled album) | 3011 downloads

CRUSH!3-90's V-Rock best hit cover LOVE songs- | 2790 downloads

Guest Magatsu

As for he manga thing, the numbee one site for rips was French, which did many magazines. They also provided the scans for some of the biggest comics being scanlated. They stopped immediately afterthat letter, for all magazines, not just jump. IMO scanlation was never the same, and some comics stopped being translated and havent been done since.

For more obscure magazines and manga I am not sure if this is ultimately a good thing, but it was done with the intentions no?

It's a bad thing. Since not all mangas get translated into English or German or French by those publishers. and even some of them where translated but then they stopped because to less sold books =.= then you only can read future with fan translations or RAWS.

But by scanning raws you also give Japanese people an easy way to download manga for free. So then they might won't buy the manga books anymore.

I stopped paying attention to the DL count of my uploads a long time ago.

A QUESTION TO MY FELLOW UPLOADERS:

What is the most satisfying aspect of uploading for you?

Well, I don't upload as much anymore as I used to do, mainly because I don't listen to so much new jrock anymore, but I mostly see it as a community service. I downloaded a lot over the years, why should I not give something back if I can? As such, uploading is its own reward I guess.

But, in all honesty: when I was still trading and had access to rare stuff, it was highly satisfying to upload some rare stuff just for the sake of it. Especially when other people who acquired it the same way would try to flaunt it into others people's faces. Sounds silly? It sure is, but gosh yeah, that was satisfying. :D

I had most of my first Japanese music collection downloaded from various sites but I was an avid CD/DVD buyer ever since I was able to work when I was younger. I wasn't much of a downloader since I didn't have to and anything I downloaded was free such as mixtapes. Since a credit card was needed for overseas purchase, I couldn't really do anything about downloading until I had to turn of age when the bank could finally accept me. So now I upload as a sort of repayment to the community? as way to give thanks back as well as let something happen to some person what has happened to me which is discover new wonderful music to listen to.

Special shout out to those that upload such unobtainium amazing stuff that I would never have probably discovered them myself.

CAT5, how come you didn't answer your own question?

What is the most satisfying aspect of uploading for you?

For me, I mainly tend to share things that I'm very enthusiastic about myself.  I really enjoy doing little writeups to accompany my uploads.  If that actually helps to persuade someone to try something new, then that's awesome!

My favorite thing about uploading (it doesn't happen THAT often unfortunately, haha) is when people post a bit more than "thanks" and actually share their thoughts on a release.  It's always nice to hear what others think about a particular release; a few downloaders have left some really thoughtful comments/opinions in the past and I always enjoy reading them.