allisapp

Travelling

I was quite suprised when I realized that there isn't any general conversation about travelling at all, as I know lots of users on this site travel a lot.

Because this site concentrates on Japan, I am pretty sure most of us want to visit the place. So let's start with that; have you visited Japan, or will you? Have you even been abroad and if you have, where have you been? Which country was your favourite? Which country you would recommend to other people; why? Travelling budgets? City trip vs. beach trip? Any backpackers?

Also, I am quite interested about japan visitors travel budgets. How much did you use for flights, food per day, living and so on?

Having been born in the middle of Europe makes me kind of lucky I guess. It takes me a few hours to get to either The Netherlands, Germany, France, or the UK, so I guess it's a given I've been in all four countries. Apart from that I've also been able to go on two exchanges through secondary school (Which cost more than it should have but oh well...) One to Denmark, and one to Slovakia. I'd love to go back to Denmark but I doubt I'd ever go back to Slovakia. It was an interesting place though. Opposite of Denmark almost.

I've also been in Los Angeles for a few days on a trip through a website I write for, and had a 10 hour layover in New York because someone didn't check my flight's hours. I spent those walking around the city then. I think I take NY over LA but I should go and have a decent trip to go and actually find out for sure.

I am now in Seoul, and that's been my first deliberate choice of staying abroad for a long time. I needed to get out of my country and away from people for a bit. If I can earn enough while I'm here, I'll probably head to Japan after (I'd love to hear of people who've already been there and/or have found a job there. I'm very interested in working in Japan if I could, but I have no idea how to take on the challenge and where to start).

If I can do it, I doubt I'll ever really move back to Belgium, but we'll see what happens. Seoul is interesting though, to say the least. Teaching English without actually being a native speaker is not officially allowed, so if you don't live in a native English country or hold a degree in English language, don't bother trying to go and get a job in Korea. I have a degree and pretty much fluent English but I'm getting nowhere. It's frustrating.

Haven't visited Japan yet, despite lusting for it over the past 10 years or so. It's just not my time I guess.

I have however, visited Hawaii (island of Oahu) and that was like the next best thing to Japan or Korea (or at least I felt like it was). Tons of Japanese tourists and lots of things catered to them, so it was practically like being in Japan! They have a lot of Japanese stores as well as certain famous restaurants and ramen houses. Plus, of course, there's the amazing sights of tropical paradise (almost like Okinawa?)~ I seriously recommend it if you can't get to Japan or feel a little overwhelmed with the idea of being outed as a  'gaijin'. It's still the US, so you won't be looked at or treated funny for speaking English. It's not cheap, but it's worth it for beach lovers, city explorers, nature lovers and photography junkies (it's seriously heaven for landscape shots!!). It's also ridiculously rich in culture and quite an amazing experience. It's something you need to soak in for a while. I went for 5 days and trust me, that is not enough. Definitely planning on making my return for a longer period of time.

I haven't traveled all that much outside of North America so I can't really recommend much. I do agree that New York City is an awesome and exciting place! If you're a big city person I absolutely recommend it as there is so much to do, especially (but not limited to) Manhattan.

I do hope to make a trip to Asia one day. I'm not too big on wanting to visit Europe, however I would love to see the UK and the Scandinavian countries :')

Started travelling alone when I was 16.

In life, I was mentored by money-makers who wouldn`t spend a dime in excess, and would pinch every penny.

Look for cheap bus routes that make more stops and take longer,  but are way cheaper.

Book all planes as far in advance in possible.

It can be half the price to fly to one country, then take another flight to the one you want to go to by a cheap airline. For example, if you want to go to one European country, which is popular, it may cost $1000, but if you fly to a smaller, less popular country, then take their airline to your destination, it can be $4-500.

Hostels are good, but have their downsides. They can be dirty, or noisy, or less safe, but you will also meet many other travellers, learn things, and save money.

In Japan, you can stay in a regular hotel in Shinjuku for 10,000 Yen, or stay in a Capsule Hotel for 2,000...

If you want to teach in a foreign country, try to get the job before you go there. I know many people who work in Taiwan, South Korea, etc... 

Staying in Japan is hard if you are a foreigner, the best thing to do is enroll in a school, or transfer schools. Exchange programs are possible from High School upwards if you have good grades, and a little bit of money to put down sometimes.

When things have not worked out, I have had to sleep on the street. Find a good spot, either so secluded nobody will ever pass by, or in a busy place where there are enough people to be witnesses, so no-one will try anything, or steal your bag while you are sleeping. Wash in a bus station, airport, or go pay for one entry to a gym with showers. Do a short workout so they dont see what is up, and then hit the showers. I have always befriended homeless people, and found out the good spots to sleep, like one sweet place in a park, but the sprinklers turn on at a certain time, so you have to move...

Anyway, I have some experience, and like to share, so let me know if you guys need any help. Would love to hear you advice and stories as well.

Btw, in areas warm to foreigners, always mention you are not from around there, it makes you exotic and interesting, and people will want to get to know you, or give you good advice. Life is like a video game when you are travelling, and I find it pretty nice.

I prefer to travel alone as well because most people aren't interested in the same kind of things. Anyway I have a few amazing though somewhat random memories of the time I was living in Japan:

1) Cycling 20km just to see Japanese pampas grass. I was dead beat at the end of it but to witness the expanse of golden lights dancing at dusk when the grass is in season was something special.

2) I found myself in a very rural part of Ise because I had visited the shrine in the morning and didn't want to return to Kyoto so early. There, local trains run once every 2 hours. While waiting for the train I met a high school girl who approached me to ask for the train schedule, whether the next train stops at every stop, and a bunch of other strange questions (for a Japanese at least). From our conversation that followed I found out that was her very first time taking the train - she cycles to the next village for school every day but that morning her bicycle had died so she had no choice but to take the train. I remember teaching her how to pay for the train ride and the priceless look on her face when the train started moving =D

3) I wandered into this small ramen place in rural Gifu when I was in the area as a stopover between Takayama and Nagoya. They had no menu whatsoever. Apparently the shopkeeper knows every single of her customers, and she would get their orders ready the moment they step into the place. Obviously they were excited seeing someone they've never seen before, so everyone gathered around me and we chatted about random stuff from Japanese politics to the dog next door (they much preferred the latter topic).

4) Going up to the Japanese Alps was fun, but unpleasant because I forgot my jacket.

5) Among my closest friends were a freelance translator who had probably been to half the countries in the world, a Japanese with rainbow hair who had gone to Paris to study fashion, and a somewhat popular host(!) in Osaka. There were other less quirky but no less amazing people I've met as well.

I am now in Seoul...I needed to [...] ]away from people for a bit.

I find that thought to be hilarious...getting away from people by going to a city of 10+ million people XD

I have been traveling since I was a little kid, though mostly it has been with my parents. My parents have always been in to traveling so I have reaped the benefits. First lets list the big trips:

Outside of the US:

England (1998-ish)

Switzerland (2000-ish)

Canada (2001-ish)

Japan (2004)

Ireland (2008)

Norway (2009)

Denmark (2009)

Sweden (2009)

Most of my traveling has been inside of the US, though, and mainly to mountainous areas (both for skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer). The states I have been too:

Alaska

Colorado (I go pretty much every year to go skiing, some years I have gone twice. Also have been out twice in the summer)

D.C.

Florida (pretty much to go to Disney World when I was younger)

Illinois

Indiana (really only driving through lol)

Michigan (both Upper and Mainland)

Missouri (vague memories of St. Louis

Montana

New York

Oregon

Utah

Virginia (pretty briefly)

Washington

Wisconsin (this doesn't count, I live here :D )

Good thread~

Apparently the first place I traveled to was Puerto Rico but I don't remember as I was a toddler. Since then I've been to Curitiba (Brazil), Antigua(Caribbean), I've lived in Tokyo for the past 4 years and have also been to Sapporo. Now that I'm out of school I plan on visiting elsewhere in Japan. Went to Marrakech (Morocco) this past February (as well as a day in Madrid layover, passport stamped so it counts I guess lol...same with Beijing actually) and hopefully going to Thailand/Laos/Vietnam with friends later this year. My dad migrated to the US from Liberia but I've yet to go and visit family there but hopefully this will also be sometime soon since my dad took a trip back recently and everything seems to be getting better.

As far as in the states, since my mom is from Florida and most of my family live in the south (Maryland,Virginia, Mississippi, Georgia etc.) I've been frequently. I lived in Philadelphia by myself for about a year and a half. Visited LA once after H.S. graduation with my besties at the time.

I want to retire in Sapporo I love that place so much. And Marrakech was amazing!!! So different from the cities I'm used to but i truly loved it and hope to go back some day.

I find that thought to be hilarious...getting away from people by going to a city of 10+ million people XD

I probably should have added "people I've been seeing too often" or "family" or "people who act like they're friends but are not" etc etc. Basically needed to be away from people messing with my every day life I guess. Or at least those who were the reason for me feeling like I did.

I've visited:

-England

-France

-Scotland

-Japan

and many of the states in the US:

-Florida

-Georgia

-Louisiana

-Tennessee

-Virginia

-Ohio

-Maryland

-New York

-New Jersey

-Pennsylvania

-Colorado

-Texas

-Oklahoma

-California

-Oregon

-Washington

-Washington D.C.

Plus driven through more (but we didn't stop to check things out so I don't think they count). 

I'll be on my first trip to see Canada this fall. I'm visiting a friend in Vancouver and I'm excited. Most of my trips abroad only last for a week or so. My trip to Scotland was an exception because it was a failed attempt to move there and I got to stay a little over a month. I really want to visit Japan again and do more because my last trip consisted of wandering around not really knowing what I wanted to do more than doing cool things. And I didn't speak but a handful of Japanese words at the time. Now my Japanese is much better and I'd be able to start conversations with people which I think would also make the trip much more fun.

As for OPs questions... It varies depending on where you're from. I found my flight to Japan this time was around $1200 (booking nearly 6 months in advance). I'm very okay with staying in hostels in Tokyo so my budget is around $30 a night. Then food is easily $50+ (this is assuming I'll be out and eating at cafes and restaurants, buying food to cook at the hostel would be considerably cheaper) a day. As I'm planning a trip in the future to stay around a month long, I'd need around $5000 to eat, sleep, travel (not just flight but also trains, cabs, buses, ect), and shop comfortably. 

I've heard of some people renting a house/home for extended trips (30 days or longer), but I would have no idea how to do that. Does anyone have advice on that?

Edit: I forgot Ohio and Maryland in my US states visited, so added that just now.

wow. I haven't been many places to be honest. I've been only to the following:

Mexico (Mexico City and Acapulco (spelling?)
Candaland when I was little so i don't remember
Idaho (driving through only)
Arizona
Texas
Nevada
Montana
Oregon
Washington
I currently live in Cali though. 

I've also been in Los Angeles for a few days on a trip through a website I write for, and had a 10 hour layover in New York because someone didn't check my flight's hours. I spent those walking around the city then. I think I take NY over LA but I should go and have a decent trip to go and actually find out for sure.

I've never been to NY but even I would take NY over LA there isn't really anything special going on there. Over-hyped city.

wow. I haven't been many places to be honest. I've been only to the following:

I also feel like being on the west coast makes it sound like less because you can road trip the west coast top to bottom and only visit 3 states, but if you do that on the east coast you visit like 20. >_>;;;

I wish I could travel somewhere, be it Japan or any other country in the world. But I have no money — I cannot find a job, nor do I have any friends, and due to my several anxities and Asperger's Syndrome it isn't practical for me to travel somewhere on my own without relatives or acquaintances. The only foreign countries I have been to were the ones my parents took me to during camping and such, but I never got much of a say in this seeing as I were younger that time. 

I could go with my family, still, but their idea of vacation varies a lot from mine. I want to see things, discover places and explore culture and religion. What they want is to plop down on their arse and stare into the sun for two weeks straight.

Due to the current lawsuit they are experiencing for 'unfair competition' I heard of www.skiplagged.com, which makes it easier to plan cheap flights using a layover system.

I always enjoy saving money so I have been trying to find cheap ways to fly everywhere.

For example the cheapest 'premade' roundtrip package for me to Tokyo is about 1600. But if I fly to HK first for an 800 dollar roundtrip, then I can use a 180 dollar roundtrip from HK to Tokyo and the whole thing comes out more than 600 dollars cheaper.

I figure there is an even cheaper way possible though.

I've been to Japan twice, for about a week each time. The first time was 2001-ish? I visited Tokyo. The second time was 2005, and I visited Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka, plus some smaller locations in between. I didn't plan the trip either time, though, so I'm not sure of the financial details. The second time was through EF Educational Tours, though, and it was a really good experience that I highly recommend. I'd really like to visit Hokkaido, and maybe Okinawa because my friend goes to school there.

Besides that, I've only been to Taiwan, England, the Caribbean, and Canada. (I'm from California.) I traveled a lot with my mother when I was a kid, but I haven't been out of the U.S. since I graduated high school because I'm a lot more money-conscious and I'm always working. I'd love to do a trip through Europe, though. It's really tempting to hop on over for MUCC's tour, lol.

Hypothetically speaking, if I was going to travel around Europe, would there be anyone willing to host a couch for two girls? (And maybe to show around the city?)

*coughs*

In regards to being able to rent like.. rooms/apartments/houses in other countries(cause hotels can get pricey), a family friend mentioned www.airbnb.com. It's pretty neat! I just looked up January 1st-31st 2016 for two guests in Tokyo for shits and giggles and they've got what looks to be a wide variety of options from essentially sharing a room with your host for around $900 usd a month to a mega swank luxury apartment for $40,000+ USD a month. All manners of places too, I even found a neat little traditional place for three guests with tatami, futons etc near the Tsukiji market for $1453 USD a month. Many of the places offer some pretty nice amenities as well, such as washer/dryer, bicycles you can use, wifi, toiletries etc. The website has hosts in 190 countries I believe? So where ever you decide to travel to you can always check it for rooms/apartments/homes to rent, save some money and possibly make new friends along the way! c:

We need to set up like.. an MH couch surfing group or something.

The problem is that we will stay in one place for only three days, which is why hostels are more cheap. We both will choose five locations, so far I have chosen Croatia, South-France, Switzerland and PROBABLY Hungary. My friend has chosen only Italy.

Croatia and Hungary (Maybe Italy as well?) are cheap places to live in a hostel, so we would most likely lose a quite bit of money, as those places cost about or under 20e.

But thanks for the tip! I have already thought that when I will stay in one place fpr a month (Japan *coughs*), I woulf rent a place there. 83

I LOVE travelling!

I've been travelling a lot since I was four/five years old as my parents like it to get out of Germany at least once a year (thankfully) for a change of scenery

mostly to the same place within Europe  the only countries I've been to out of Europe were Turkey and Egypt (several times)

next destination is Japan (Yes VERY surprising, I know lol) in almost 2 weeks and also planned a weekend trip to Paris with a friend this September

I have now booked plane tickets to Budapest on 25th of December and back to Finland from Prague on the 28th! Will go on 26th to Brno, Czech Republic and the next day to Prague. Any recommendations to do in each city? Probably can't do much, as it's just after Christmas...

Also, I have plans to buy plane tickets to Thailand for a month in December. I will go there next year around August/September~!

^ Not much to do except walk around in Budapest I guess, since nothing will be open (cuz holidays). XD Maybe visiting one of the Xmas markets?... the one at Vörösmarty square is the 'classic' one.