Bear

New retro wave/retro electro/synthwave

I guess most people have heard about this music now. It's also known as 80's retro revival, and with good reason. The new retro wave is a form of electronic music that takes its inspiration from 80's pop culture, and it's been really popular the last few years and hit the top when Kavinsky was included on the Drive soundtrack. The film Drive used this kind of music in its soundtrack, and both games Hotline Miami and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon used it too. So it's been getting kinda popular as of late. This music just oozes of Miami Vice, neon lit cities, cool, sexy 80's cars, 80's Sylvester Stallone and sleazy 80's workout videos. This is basically the perfect summer music, and I am not joking. I've loved it for many years already and I still can't get enough of it.

And I'll just get to it and post some songs and let you know how it sounds, even though most of you would know by now. Some of my favourite artists:

Kavinsky:

Cluster Buster

Miami Nights 1984:

Action Jackson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaArA5vPiow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIBxBeGYMLM

Power Glove:

Anyone else into this kind of music? You better be!

PS: Cluster Buster's "Maniac 1980" is 2014's best album so far. Inspired by different 80's films, you just gotta love it. Amazing album!

I also pre-ordered this beauty the other day:

10173575_777112892320877_103834826458689

It was sold out in a few hours. 100 black and 200 splatter versions. I chose the splatter one because it looks so damn sexy. Fucking awesome! I am so looking forward to it being released and me getting it. Mmmmh!

I'll continue this thead trying to get some attention towards this. John Carpenter and Tangerine Dream might be the most influential artists on this genre, even though the mid 00's French house scene was THE biggest inspiration as a whole (I guess). Both made plenty of soundtracks in the 80's (Carpenter is a legendary director himself, and he made the soundtracks to his own films), and when you listen to the soundtracks to films such as Thief (Tangerine Dream) and Escape From New York (Carpenter) you'll hear that synthwave sound, but they were often a bit darken than todays synthwave bands, even though you'll find darker ones today as well. Both films are very recommended as well!

Tangerine Dream (from Thief):

John Carpenter (from Escape from New Yourk):

You can clearly hear the influence they had on this genre. Amazing!

I'll add one of my all time favourite pictures as well. Kavinsky and Daft Punk:

Kavinsky+daftpunk.png

I'm not really into this type of revival music, but def gonna check out what you've linked so far.

I do listen to some Noir Deco now and then, I guess they fit here?

...they even have a song titled "Escape with Snake Plissken" hehe.

Noir Deco fits perfectly here, and is one of the darker bands I talked about. While the others mentioned are bands that you could've used as a soundtrack to Miami Vice, Streets of Fire and such, Noir Deco, Perturbator and those are these bands that you could use as a soundtrack to darker films/series such as Blade Runner, The Terminator, Akira, Escape from New York and so on.

Noir Deco is included on one of the songs from the LP i posted a few posts up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXu-bR8RGs

This bandcamp has a shitload of great artists within the genre: https://future80s.bandcamp.com/

Haven't checked out all, but Cluster Buster, Niky Nine, Absolute Valentine, Tokyo Rider and Midnight Driver are all great IMO.

That Perturbator track sounds pretty sweet~ 8)

Ohh btw I just remembered another project I haven't checked out yet, only for a couple tracks: Umberto! Totally gloomy and eerie '70s / '80s synthy horror feeling.

I thought about mentioning Umberto alongside Noir Deco and Perturbator meself, but as I get more 70's horror feeling by the band I decided not to. But From the Grave is a great album, and it gives me massive Goblin-vibes, which is very positive.

A couple of recommendations fo those interested:

Carpenter Brut

Two EPs of dark and raw electronia that will blow your brain out. That's how good Carpenter Brut is. The second EP is even better than the first one. Give Disco Zombi Italo and Meet Matt Stryker a chance, guys. Daaaamn! Brilliant!

Judge Bitch

Way more straight forward than Carpenter Brut, but great anyway. Pretty dark stuff.

Great album indeed, and the music video is awesome. My vinyl's been sent, so I expect it to be here soon enough. Can't wait for that sexy bastard to arrive.

And Timecop1983 is also great. Chill as fuck. Great summer music.

https://soundcloud.com/onlyyoumusic/the-mirror-of-dreams-album-preview This guy is more like 80's pop, but I like his songs a lot. his first ep https://onlyyou.bandcamp.com/

Patrick Baker is also somewhat like that https://soundcloud.com/patrickbaker He is doind some New Jack Swing stuff right now, though.

this guy is going to be doing a remix on the new Kristine single.

Most of the stuff I know has already been mentioned on the thread anyways. Thanks for new stuff anyways guys

I also pre-ordered this beauty the other day:

10173575_777112892320877_103834826458689

It was sold out in a few hours. 100 black and 200 splatter versions. I chose the splatter one because it looks so damn sexy. Fucking awesome! I am so looking forward to it being released and me getting it. Mmmmh!

This will get a repress, for those interested. Not sure why, but maybe at the end of the year or so. The black version is already up on Ebay. 200 USD. It's fucking pathetic really. People that buy music just to profit heavily on it are clowns and deserves to have their ass beaten.

The grand daddy himself will be releasing his first non-soundtrack album on February 3.

Details and two advance tracks:

http://pitchfork.com/news/57258-sacred-bones-releasing-horror-icon-john-carpenters-debut-solo-album-lost-themes-share-vortex/

http://pitchfork.com/news/58020-horror-icon-john-carpenter-shares-new-track-night/

This will be MASSIVE.

I am surprised no one has posted any Minimal Wave or retro Darkwave yet. Or maybe I am misunderstanding this "retrowave" thing and it's more like a revival of more mainstream or typical 80s synth pop and electro, than being a revival of actual (New) Wave?

Anyway, I think this artist might still fit here:

It def has the characteristic 80s wave sound. This has been a trend for a while and I mostly "blame" it on the hipsters having rediscovered old retro music.

The new retro wave is something compltely different from new wave and darkwave. Listen to some of the songs posted here and you'll get what kind of music this thread is about. It's also known as Outrun electro. Kavinsky, one of the leading artists in the "movement", despite being more on the house-side, named his debut album Outrun, and it's named after a Sega game from 86 which have served as a massive inspiration for the genre. But the genre as a whole is very inspired by film soundtracks from the 80's, as well as 80's pop culture. Action, horror and exploition films, neon lit cities, video games, cool cars and all that. Everything that was cool.

One of the coolest music videos ever btw. I'm having a massive man crush on this guy.

Jammin' so hard to the new Carpenter Brut EP right now. This is the first proper release I'm hearing from them, amazing stuff!! Already have the other two lined up in my playlist.

I mean, damn...

By the way, (seeing that it already leaked) has anyone tried that new John Carpenter album yet? I'm only through one vague (background-) listening, nice atmospheres.

Jammin' so hard to the new Carpenter Brut EP right now. This is the first proper release I'm hearing from them, amazing stuff!! Already have the other two lined up in my playlist.

I mean, damn...

Just went on with their "Trilogy"-collection (idk if it's even legit but lol) after digesting some EP III and holy shit, totes brilliant stuff... (as bear pointed it out already)

^ "Trilogy" (physical CD) will be officially released in March but it's only their 3 EPs anyway, so it doesn't rly make a difference imo. And glad that you also enjoyed it / him! :D

FF_gig_box_all.png

August 29th, 2015. The dark retrosynth brotherhood is coming to Helsinki for a one time gig.

Shit. I wish I could go. God damn great lineup.

Perturbator will also play at Nidrosian Black Mass V, the last Nidarosian Black Mass festival ever. They'll play alongside The Ruins Of Beverast, Mgła, Archgoat, Cult Of Fire, Bölzer, Antaeus, Aosoth, Nightbringer, Negative Plane, Svartidauði, Pseudogod, Clandestine Blaze, Lvcifyre, Mare, One Tail, One Head, Sinmara, Dark Sonority, Nyogthaeblisz, Drowned and Misþyrming. So yeah, Perturbator will play at a black metal festival, and this time he'll do more than just DJing like he's done before. Not sure if he'll d DJ or do this other shit at the Helsinki gig, though, but probably the other shit. This is what I call a lineup. Christ...