Bear

New retro wave/retro electro/synthwave

Also this, though it's just a video game remix and it may be found annoying. I think it fits in retrowave though, one of my favorite artists from OCR. Also anyway I'll stop posting lol.

There's also a team wanting to make a sgort film based on Carpenter Brut's Turbo Killer, with a Carpenter Brut soundtrack. The video is amazing, so this could become awesome as fuck. Hope they get enough money for this.

One of the Kung Fury guys seems to be involved too. Heeeeeelz yeah!

Some links and shit:

The Rise of the Synths

The natural way of the cultural wave: we generally experience that musical and cultural trends shift from an outstanding position within public opinion to near utter rejection, refusal and ridicule, through an ever-shortening period of time. However, if that period of time is extended, to often several decades, we can witness a renovation, a new heightened recognition – the rebirth of the wave. Through today’s global reach, powered by the internet, cultural waves and fascinations can resurface and manifest themselves, with an even much bigger fan impact than the original source.

The film is a travel in time towards the roots of a worldwide grass-root music scene known as Synthwave, an irresistible blend of modern electronic composition with 80s pop culture’s nostalgia, that over the last two years has transformed from a whisper on selected internet hubs, to an ever-growing scene, expanding rapidly as we speak. Accounting millions of plays on social media, devoted fans are legion, but nobody in the mass media knows about them.

Thousands of synthwave composers around the world are living out double-lives. Away from their normal everyday life they spend another half-life behind a faceless musical avatar, creating and uploading their own renditions of 80’s-styled film scores, sharing them with the world – surging the wave. They belong to an endless army of watchers for the master’s legacy: the sound that Edgar Froese, Giorgio Moroder and John Carpenter created in the late 70s.

A time travel into the universe of creating sounds. A love letter to human fascination and the collective memories of an universe that never existed.

http://theriseofthesynths.com/

The Rise of the Synths is THE DEFINITIVE DOCUMENTARY about '80s retro and electronic music, the synthwave scene, and '80s nostalgia and audiovisual collective memories. If you like the Stranger Things score, this film is for you! We've hit our main goal but WE STILL NEED MORE FUNDS in order TO COMPLETE THE FILM. Let's do it together!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rise-of-the-synths--2#/

d41775fec5343348253a3fc282d89477_origina

68e9eee322640d83ca88484c4d0e20d0_origina

Inspired by the spirit of the 80's films and music, BLOOD MACHINES is a 30-minutes science-fiction short film written and directed by Seth Ickerman, scored by the synthwave artist Carpenter Brut. BLOOD MACHINES is the sequel of the music video TURBO KILLER, their first collaboration.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2050134024/blood-machines-turbo-killer-2

And the amazing song and video Turbo Killer:

One of the best music videos ever. So fucking cool!

Interested in both. The posters looks absolutely brilliant. Fantastic! Would love to have both on my wall.

The Turbo Killer music video is indeed awesome, didn't post it though because I figured everyone already knew about it. Also thanks for the links, gonna check em out.

I am sure the people who are really into the genre know both the artist and the video, but we might be lucky enough to get a few new visitors to this thread who doesn't know it. That was all.

And I'll just throw this out there again because this release is just too good. The film too is brilliant:

a0693673085_10.jpg

https://maiovvi.bandcamp.com/album/yellow

I think Gost are my favourite retrowave/synthwave artist at the moment. Surely up there with Carpenter Brut, but Gost might be a bit better IMO. Both albums are beyond brilliant, but it's taken quite some time to really get into them though. Been hard work.

Nah, it's not too unusual from them. They're a heavy metal band with a super poppy edge. Not at all what this thread is about, though. :P

Been blasting VHS Glitch - Evil Technology these past days. Holy shit, what an album! A masterpiece! But I can't seem to really get into the other albums, though. But Evil Technology's super good.

I just want to mix myself a hurricane, sex on the beach or something, get out in the sun and look at beautiful women tiny bikinis when listening to this song. Or just drive through a Miami that's neon lit with beautiful girls on ever single corner at night in a beautifully painted red ferrari testarossa with this playing loud.

In other words, this song is brilliant!

The newest Dance with the Dead album came out recently which is called B Sides: Volume 1 and it's pretty darn sick. My favorite track so far would be Venom. I love the aggressive guitar play in the middle of the song. Check it out!

Weird, I am of the complete opposite side with opinion on this album. I tried that album earlier this year, and despite of my love for Dance With the Dead, I thought this album was trash. Absolute garbage! Weak, shitty metal mixed with bland electronica. The metal riffs are the worst. That's the kind of shit I wrote as jokes when I was 13 years old, and I am not kidding. They're that bad. I couldn't even get through the album.  I can totally understand why these song were unreleased up to this point, and they still should've been. They just started dragging their own name through the mud with this embarrassing release.

Edited by Bear

mfw these white bois dont listen to 80s space synth like Proxyon

Satellite Young is a Japanese band I recently discovered through a friend, but I feel like since they're synthwave they'd get way more love here. (And since they played SXSW back in March they seem to be gaining a lot more international attention lately.)

Their sound captures that period of synthy 80s anime openings/endings so well it's almost hard to believe they're a modern group.

Spoiler

Someone upped their entire album, of which I'm pressed to find any track I don't like. My favorite is probably "Ai no Threnody" tho. (20:35)

Spoiler

Edited by jaymee

Holy fuck, I do not know what to do right now. I own Perturbator's "Dangerous Days" on red/blue splatter limited to 200 ex, and some guy saw I owned it and asked me if I had it for sale. I said that everything I own is for sale if someone offers enough, however I was honest and told him I was a greedy fuck and he'd probably have to pay up quite an amount of money, more than any sane human being would be able to do.

His offer?

All fees would be on me. That means:

100 € Paypal + Fees

Another limited version of Dangerous Days that sells for $60
Shipping Fees for your LP to my home
Shipping Fees for my LP to your home

That is quite an offer for a record I paid something like $30-40 for. I am so fucking tempted by this, especially since I've been considering getting rid of the majority of my collection anyway. But at the same time I'm having a hard time parting ways with the release. It's such a fucking sexy release.

Guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I just discovered this genre and I'm totally in love with it. Having grown up in the 90s, the nostalgia factor doesn't really exist for me, but I really enjoy the sound and aesthetic. 

Anyone got some recommendations for essential albums? So far, I've been enjoying FM-84's "Atlas" and Waveshaper's stuff a lot. Also wanted to check out Perturbator and Dance with the Dead. I'm especially interested in Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi inspired stuff in the vein of for example Blade Runner, but anything goes honestly.

Also, @Bear I saw that you got some LPs, where do you usually get them? I only found digital releases and if they were available physically, they were sold out.

Blood Music got lots of Perturbator in. The prices might seem a bit high, but every Blood Music release I own are of extremely high quality. Totally worth it. Discogs is also a fine place to get these, as a lot are long sold out.

As far as essential albums goes:

Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley

Gost ‎- Behemoth

Gost - Non Paradisi

Carpenter Brut ‎- Trilogy

Hotline Miami OST

Far Cry: Blood Dragon OST

Trevor Something - Synthetic Love

VHS Glitch - Evil Technology

Magic Sword - Vol. 1

Both Perturbator and Gost have that futuristic, gritty, (neon-)noir feeling to them. The kind of music that would work as the soundtrack to films like Blade Runner,Ghost In The Shell and Terminator. But VHS Glitch and the Far Cry: Blood Dragon OST also has some of that feeling to it.

Carpenter Brut is my favourite of them all.

I used to mostly be into the more positive, summery NewRetroWave music, but as time has gone on I've been dragged more and more into the darker side of the genre.

Holy shit, that Carpenter Brut song is absolutely mindblowing. Thanks for the recommendations, gonna check them out throughout the next few days!

As for the LP prices, I think they are fine, just the shipping is a bit high unfortunately. I'm going to settle on a few favourites I guess!

/edit: Nevermind, actually found "The Uncanny Valley" on Amazon.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

Oh yes! I think Carpenter Brut is a favourite of many fans of the genre in general, and along with Perturbator they kinda opened up the world of electronica to many a metalhead around the world. You have these artists playing at metal festivals, which is very, very cool. Gost at Maryland Deathfest, Perturbator at Beyond the Gates and Nidrosian Black Mass, Carpenter Brut and Perturbator at Roadburn and so on. But at the same time, it shouldn't come as a surprise because these darker synthwave artists have a lot in common with metal. Especially Carpenter Brut. Very metallic sounding in general.

Should be noted that Nidrosian Black Mass is a black metal festival where very few bands are something else than black metal. So musically Perturbator should be very out of place, but he's been extremely well-recieved at all these gigs.

Edited by Bear

On 5/18/2017 at 11:26 AM, Bear said:

Holy fuck, I do not know what to do right now. I own Perturbator's "Dangerous Days" on red/blue splatter limited to 200 ex, and some guy saw I owned it and asked me if I had it for sale. I said that everything I own is for sale if someone offers enough, however I was honest and told him I was a greedy fuck and he'd probably have to pay up quite an amount of money, more than any sane human being would be able to do.

His offer?

All fees would be on me. That means:

100 € Paypal + Fees

Another limited version of Dangerous Days that sells for $60
Shipping Fees for your LP to my home
Shipping Fees for my LP to your home

That is quite an offer for a record I paid something like $30-40 for. I am so fucking tempted by this, especially since I've been considering getting rid of the majority of my collection anyway. But at the same time I'm having a hard time parting ways with the release. It's such a fucking sexy release.

Dang, that IS quite the offer.

I've been looking for a copy and your story gave me hope, so I just spammed a bunch of different people on discogs and I found a guy that just sold me a copy for a good price. I'm so stoked to be getting it in the mail. 

Have you given the new tracks off his upcoming EP a listen? I like what I hear. It's a bit different than what he's done so far, but not too far from his formula.

On 8/19/2017 at 8:55 AM, Kaleidoscope said:

Guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I just discovered this genre and I'm totally in love with it. Having grown up in the 90s, the nostalgia factor doesn't really exist for me, but I really enjoy the sound and aesthetic. 

Anyone got some recommendations for essential albums? So far, I've been enjoying FM-84's "Atlas" and Waveshaper's stuff a lot. Also wanted to check out Perturbator and Dance with the Dead. I'm especially interested in Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi inspired stuff in the vein of for example Blade Runner, but anything goes honestly.

Also, @Bear I saw that you got some LPs, where do you usually get them? I only found digital releases and if they were available physically, they were sold out.

I love FM-84 and Waveshaper. I'd also recommend The Midnight "Endless Summer", Morgan Willis "Rage", and Gunship "Gunship" for more 80's inspired synth and vocals.

I second Trevor Something and also recommend "Souless Computer Boy and the Eternal Render". It's half tracks with vocals and half ambient instrumentals.

Perturbator's second album "I am the night" is so great too, probably my favorite after "The Uncanny Valley".

For more cyberpunk stuff I highly recommend Tommy 86 "Transhumanism" and anything from Dan Terminus (he has a new album releasing soon too. If you're into vinyl it can be ordered on the blood music website). They're both on the same label as Perturbator and GosT.

15 hours ago, ghost said:

Dang, that IS quite the offer.

I've been looking for a copy and your story gave me hope, so I just spammed a bunch of different people on discogs and I found a guy that just sold me a copy for a good price. I'm so stoked to be getting it in the mail. 

Have you given the new tracks off his upcoming EP a listen? I like what I hear. It's a bit different than what he's done so far, but not too far from his formula.

It's a good offer, but I haven't sold it. No idea why, because I would still have the music on vinyl after the sale+trade. But yeah, some things I just have a hard time getting rid off. Recently moved and promised myself I'd get rid of most of my VHS', but I only manage to throw away 3 of them. The rest I had to keep. :D

Haha! Are you Dan? :D

Perturbator is always great, and the new one sounds great too.

Also thinking about getting Dan Terminus on vinyl. Great release.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I've listened to a ton of this stuff the past few weeks and just haven't got around to reply yet :D However, you definitely made me a fan!

My favourite overall is probably Perturbator, just love the atmosphere he creates and "The Uncanny Valley" really is a huge album, already got it on vinyl by now - you were right, really high quality stuff from Blood Music. Also ordered his upcoming EP, sounds great to me!

Also still in love with Carpenter Brut, I'd say he is probably one of the best songwriters in the genre, super dynamic and versatile stuff. Favourites are Meet Matt Stryker and Turbo Killer (still).

VHS Glitch is really good as well. Still have to give Magic Sword a more proper listen, seemed cool to me though. Had some problems getting into GosT at first (mainly due to the horror synths, they put me off a bit at first), but by now I really enjoy both albums. Haven't listened to the two OSTs that much yet, but thought they were nice as well.

The only one I couldn't get into at all was Trevor Something. I had already listened to "Trevor Something Does Not Exist Before", but his stuff just doesn't click with me. I think it's mainly the vocals - I understand the effect he is going for me, but for me his performance sounds very dull and even a bit grating at times. Might give the release @ghostmentioned another try, I liked what I heard from that.

It's indeed cool that many of these artists are welcomed so well in the metal scene, I guess the aesthetics do play a role :D But well, this stuff really opened up new music for me too, I had no idea I needed this so much!

@ghost: Haha funny that you mention it, I just got into Dan Terminus a few days ago, I love "The Wrath of Code", Death by Distorion and The Chasm are so good! Wanted to pre-order the vinyl, but I am not sure about the green version :D Got the Tommy album since a while, good stuff as well.

I've been wanting to check out The Midnight more, seems like people are super into it! I've been so busy with FM-84 that I didn't really get into much other "brighter" synthwave at all.

Didn't know the other two you mentioned yet, gonna check them out and let you know what I think! And yup, I love "I am the Night", definitely my second favourite too, has a really melancholic atmosphere.

Do you guys know Electric Dragon? Came across this guy a few days ago, pretty decent stuff.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

I had a problem getting into Trever Something as first too, also because of the vocals. But there was something very unique about the music so I kept spinning the album until Miami Nights clicked with me. And shortly after I fell for the entire album. Now it's become one of my all-time favourite songs and the song I always play when I mix and drink my first gin & tonic for the evening. My friends have also made this their g&t song due to me.

You could try Noir Deco too. Was featured on at least Perturbator track that I remember. Future to Fantasy is a very good album.

Anyway, Magic Sword:

That is just way too good to be real. 

1 hour ago, Bear said:

It's a good offer, but I haven't sold it. No idea why, because I would still have the music on vinyl after the sale+trade. But yeah, some things I just have a hard time getting rid off. Recently moved and promised myself I'd get rid of most of my VHS', but I only manage to throw away 3 of them. The rest I had to keep. :D

Haha! Are you Dan? :D

Perturbator is always great, and the new one sounds great too.

Also thinking about getting Dan Terminus on vinyl. Great release.

Hahaha it's hard to throw stuff away that you've kept for years. I'd keep it! 

Yeah how'd you know! I didn't send you a message did I? Haha XD

Wrath Of Code is great. I rebought it on clear along with the swirl of "Automated Refrains". That preview track has got me stoked.

Do you think you'll be seeing Perturbator on his 2nd US tour? I'll be going to the Boston show.