enyx

sukekiyo

Wow I can't believe I haven't posted about the album until now: I. LOVE. IT.

Not at all disappointed, I just found their choice for the title track to be questionable (it's my least favorite on the album). My favorite is definitely track #5. I'm always a sucker for their use of the piano :D  As someone mentioned here earlier, some of the tracks are definitely...danceable (namely #9. It'd be so fun to hear live!). I also hear some slight industrial elements throughout this album that I totally dig. I'm glad that they're trying some new things!

The collab tracks were okay, with mama being my favorite one. Gara did a GREAT job, and now I gotta look into MERRY more :^)

Edited by gekiai

23 hours ago, gekiai said:

Wow I can't believe I haven't posted about the album until now: I. LOVE. IT.

Not at all disappointed, I just found their choice for the title track to be questionable (it's my least favorite on the album). My favorite is definitely track #5. I'm always a sucker for their use of the piano :D  As someone mentioned here earlier, some of the tracks are definitely...danceable (namely #9. It'd be so fun to hear live!). I also hear some slight industrial elements throughout this album that I totally dig. I'm glad that they're trying some new things!

The collab tracks were okay, with mama being my favorite one. Gara did a GREAT job, and now I gotta look into MERRY more :^)

Title track typically refers to a song with the same name as the album, so... Do you mean something else?

8 hours ago, Saishu said:

Title track typically refers to a song with the same name as the album, so... Do you mean something else?

I mean the "PV track" but I've never heard anyone refer to a song that  way (I've always heard title track (with B-sides) more than anything) but I guess I've been referring to it wrong all along.

Edited by gekiai

There's two PVs, one for Hidauta (track 3) and one for En (track 6). What you're referring to – a song with b-sides – is a single, which Adoratio doesn't have. 

This album is very intense and complex yeah... I will need to listen to it many times.

for the moment i'm crazy about the last track, the emotion is stunning

Edited by Kirito

The Blu-Ray for this release is weird. The main feature seems fine, but Kyo's voice is completely off. This is probably the worst I've heard him for a while. The odd thing is that after the main feature are some scenes from a couple of other tours, one where he's wearing something that looks like a Tim Burton-designed night-dress, and another where he's wearing bandages. Both of these performances look and sound utterly incredible, but these are only snippets that fade in and out after a minute or two (some only seconds). It's quite frustrating that they didn't show full songs from either of these performances, as they're so much better than the main show.

The album itself is, as with most sukekiyo, quite challenging. Some songs clicked immediately. It'll probably take me a while to 'get' several of the others.

Haven't heard the second disc yet.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:52 AM, Carmelzors said:

(e.g. who would know that Mika is such a good drummer IRL? He didn't do much in RES tbh. 

Way late, but I'm just now seeing this since I don't check outside the news forum very often; Mika's brilliance has always been there. Now, granted, within the context of Sukekiyo (especially on Adoratio) he's given more room to experiment and breathe, per se, but even in Rentrer en Soi it was obvious he wasn't the average VK drummer. He could go balls out metal, but he was able to groove too. And his patterns and fills were creative. 

What DIDN'T help his case is that most of RES' albums weren't mixed that well. He tended to get buried, and just check out The Abyss of Despair for a perfect example. The speedy double bass licks in the second chorus are reduced to a barely audible rumble underneath the muddy production. I didn't even realize they were there until I watched the DVD of their final live. Also check out Gira Gira, which is the song (along with the orignal Secret Scars) that made me really take notice of Mika. He goes absolutely batshit bonkers in Gira Gira! 

So I dunno. Maybe it's just me because I play drums and my ear has always naturally picked out the rhythm section, but Mika's performance in Sukekiyo doesn't surprise me. He's one of my favorite drummers in music. Period. 

Mika is definitely one Of the most impressive drummer out there. Of course people tend to be more impress by show off drummers... Like Yoshiki.

But Mika drummin is very subtle and dynamic, he follow the energy of the song, he can play softly with a lot of small details to hitting the hell out Of the drum. I really admire that.

what do y'all think about their take on Mucc's Gerbera?

On 12/3/2017 at 6:58 PM, Tokage said:

what do y'all think about their take on Mucc's Gerbera?

A lot of people disliked it but personally I thought it sounded spectacular.

Edited by Mamo

9 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Besides, I don't know the original, so it's more like a new sukekiyo song to me, not so much a cover.

I know the original, and it still sounds like a new sukekiyo song for me, haha. :D (okay, I kinda recognized the chorus but that's it)

I think there's like maybe a minute or half a minute tops that actually sounds like the original. Like.. the chorus, and that's it. The rest genuinely sounds like  an entirely new song. I may just not be familiar enough with the original Gerbera outside of the instrumental, but it even felt to me like there are some new lyrics in there? Or am I completely wrong on that one?

I think the lyrics are the same, Kyo just  changed the phrasing and melodies. The growling part is weird and really doesn’t fit the original tone of the song, but, then again, sukekiyo did make it their own so...

I think it sounds more like a run-of-the-mill DEG track than sukekiyo, let alone the original. I actually really like Gerbera and struggled to find anything familiar in that cover. It's the melodies that make that song, for me anyway. Take them away and meh. There's making a song your own and then there's completely disguising it, which seems a bit pointless to me.

I was not expecting Sukekiyo to play Gerbera note for note, and they weren’t the only band to completely reinterpret a MUCC song on this thing, but how they deconstructed it really left me stunned. 

Honestly, I don’t like covers that just sound like the original, because then what’s the point of another band playing it if it’s just going to sound the same? Like I really have no need for those covers of Flight and Utagoe. 

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

I was not expecting Sukekiyo to play Gerbera note for note, and they weren’t the only band to completely reinterpret a MUCC song on this thing, but how they deconstructed it really left me stunned. 

Honestly, I don’t like covers that just sound like the original, because then what’s the point of another band playing it if it’s just going to sound the same? Like I really have no need for those covers of Flight and Utagoe. 

Even I thought Plastic Tree played it WAY too safe with their cover of "Ryuusei"...

sukekiyo sure did come out of left field with their reconstruction of "Gerbera" though, holy smokes. Like most people here, I was very curious to see how Kyo would interpret Tatsurou's vocal melodies...I think what we got though is what most people, again, are saying: it sounds like a Dir en grey jaunt.