None of these japanese and koreak pop stars are good rapper. They're all awful. With that being said, this song doesn't suck because of CL and G-Dragon. They're no worse than the music itself. This song suck because every single element suck.

None of these japanese and koreak pop stars are good rapper. They're all awful. With that being said, this song doesn't suck because of CL and G-Dragon. They're no worse than the music itself. This song suck because every single element suck.

Would you mind explaining what exactly makes CL and GD "good" in rapping and the rest "bad" (nowadays)? I used to be quite big on both artists until they went down to the "Wiz Khalifa/Minaj" level with latest activities, so your preference is highly intriguing me atm :) (whatever floats your boat tho)

That being said, GD has little to no flow and the song itself is as horrible as any other nonsensical, minimal EDM tune a la "Stupid Hoe"

Either you misunderstood what I meant, or I am misunderstanding you now. But I think both CL and GD are awful rappers along with the rest of the rappers in the kpop and jpop world. It's especially annoying when these groups throw in a horrible rap in an otherwise good pop song, just for the sake of having some "badass" rap there, despite none of the members in the group being able to actually rap in a decent manner. It's just sad IMO.

Oh.

I think you were a bit too eager when it comes to generalizing - I am not going to "shirtfront*" you for that ofc, but my piece of advice**: you should give the whole scene one more chance, since Asian hip hop scene itself is not STRICTLY limited to say, "good pop songs with pretentious, bad rap" - be it even the fact that you don't know shit about their rhymes/lyrics (just like most of us). Underground hip hop labels in JP for instance have tons of artists with a handful of potential despite not following normal principles in "trendy J/K-hip hop" - I am not the one to give out names, but other frequenting members might help you (in case you're interested ofc). I mean, after all - there is no such thing as "(insert any country here) is not able to do (insert any genre here) at all" - this is just pure fantasy by courtesy of extremely choosy PF/Sputnik-ian imbeciles (highly judging those members who are representing this school of thought in our forums).

**I underlined this so we could rule out misunderstandings of me trying to "push" my opinions/"offending" you

*I quoted Abbott here because lol

But I am not talking about the asian hop hop scene as a whole, I am simply talking about every single pop group out there (2ne1, Brown Eyed Girls ++++) who utilizes poor raps by awful rappers in their regular pop songs.

This is not a problem limited to just korean pop groups of course. It's a problem all around the world. Ludacris' awful part in the otherwise brilliant Break Your Heart is one example of the same shit. Great song, poor, unfitting rap. It's a trend that'll be my death.

And with that said, I can't stand hip hop in other languages than english. God knows I've tried. I love french and consider it the most beautiful and wonderful language on earth, but I have yet to hear hip hop in french that doesn't suck. I love finnish, japanese and korean as well, but as with french I have yet to hear a rap in these languages that doesn't suck. Norwegian and swedish rap? Awful. I just can't stand hip hop in any other language than english no matter how talented or not the rapper might be, and it doesn't matter if I understand the language or not. It just doesn't work for me.

Miryo was an excellent rapper from my experience listening to BEG, she perfectly complements the other girls without delivering awkardly placed verses. She adds more depth to their songs (when appropriate) rather just insert herself for no reason. She is one of the few that actually knows their shit.

The Japanese and Korean pop scene do both have lots of bad rappers but I personally consider MC Itsuka (Charisma.com) to have a great flow. At least, she has way better flow than most mainstream Japanese rappers (and a lot of mainstream US rappers too, Iggy Azalea doesn't have shit on this).

I think what Bear is describing is mostly those idol groups put together by companies and that pick 2 or 3 members of a group to be the "rappers" while they do not have any talent or experience in rapping. I prefer groups that come together with someone who actually has experience in rap, like say, Block B's Zico.

Yea at least Idol bands rarely have any good rappers. Theres exceptions though, as sai said. some members actually have experience and can be considered good apart from personal taste. But you can probably count them on two hands if you limit it to idol bands (korean), like zico or bobby or tablo i would say. korean hip hop scene is a whole other case though.

ha i like the song except cl's first verse. lmao it was so ratchet tho

about cl i find this way more listenable , this or watching waveya shit on her

good pop rapping

Edited by blackdoll

i take it back, fuck sistar as a whole they only have 6 songs, including 19, which i like and they have ass kicking vocalist. even more disapointing than suju. how do i like more songs from GG ughh. they should have stuck with alone, GITM, TMB, and i swear kinda stuff. cause they are not flexible. 4minute for the win so far for girls. big bang up next. I hoping for mostly yess

One Group that i would pick up and that would be B.A.P, but then again they are having a Lawsuit with theyr on Label so i don't think they will be coming back anytime soon...

The Japanese and Korean pop scene do both have lots of bad rappers but I personally consider MC Itsuka (Charisma.com) to have a great flow. At least, she has way better flow than most mainstream Japanese rappers (and a lot of mainstream US rappers too, Iggy Azalea doesn't have shit on this).

Sai, this was surprisingly enjoyable! Thank you for this.

i take it back, fuck sistar as a whole they only have 6 songs, including 19, which i like and they have ass kicking vocalist. even more disapointing than suju. how do i like more songs from GG ughh. they should have stuck with alone, GITM, TMB, and i swear kinda stuff. cause they are not flexible. 4minute for the win so far for girls. big bang up next. I hoping for mostly yess

I agree with the part about Alone. To me, its their best song (with Give it to me being second) and Album.

As for the rapping in general, I don't mind it. There are times, as the above poster stated in which they stick out like a sore thumb and add absolutely nothing to the song. T-ARA, as much as I love them is guilty for this. Number 9 and Sugar Free are songs that would easily be 10/10 if it wasn't for those parts. Luckily, the production and the rest of the songs (as well as instrumentals), overshadow em. In general, I've gotten used to the rapping (no matter how good or bad), being part of the formula of K-Pop. It balances out after awhile.

With that said, a lot of the reason why I can't stand GD, and 2NE1, a lot of 4MINUTE songs and a lot of male groups is because rapping in K-Pop is already meh and the majority of their songs focus primarily on that. A lot of it comes off as too try hard-ish. The production on a lot of those songs are pretty boring as well. I'm sitting here wondering how in the hell that 2NE1 track and the GD track broke into the states and landed on the billboards. Then again, the masses do like a lot of questionable/bad music....

Big Bang  i like GD though some of the stuff isn't my flavor though. taeyang  how the hell did he make ringa linga? NU'EST nice but to poppy. B.A.P was so made the album was a slow soft one, i like them because the leader sounds like he is vk growling. AOA yesssss 2 good minialbums this year, and their b-sides show they are not just a sexy dance group. t-ara suprisingly they are not all bad, they sound like jpop singer sometimes. mblaq, beast, teen top, speed. just a few nice songs. 2pm is nice, could cut the soft shit. anyway the only one im adding to favs is aoa, i was ready to give up since the mv songs be so dam misleading most of the time. also feel like sistar should be more like aoa.

Lc9 is good. girl's day jo kwon is kinda good, not going to bother with ballad 2pm. his fanservice is a legend tho.  BESTie  9MUSES Brown Eyed Girls. vixx nice, history later yess, gain yess!

also the weekly idol guys are good

oddly sugar free in english is very listenable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV1pQ11gkGk

Edited by blackdoll

sweet traditional song

help i need vocals like Ariana Grande, songs will work too!!! nevermind over it

This doesn't really sound anything like 4minute has done, so i don't see how this is typical at all. It sounds like you didn't like them very much to begin with and weren't willing to give them a try. 

This sounds nothing like anything 4minute has done, so I don't see how this is "typical". Everything that isn't up to your standards you label as "try hard" when I don't even think you know what that means. That's incredibly lazy criticism. 

i think he meant they always try too hard.... it doesn't matter it's his taste. it was better than repetitive sugar free.... though me and my friend find the male ver more interesting since the beat isn;t crazy bumbing 

zombiesatemycereal, on 10 Feb 2015 - 2:32 PM, said:

zombiesatemycereal, on 10 Feb 2015 - 2:32 PM, said:

This doesn't really sound anything like 4minute has done, so i don't see how this is typical at all. It sounds like you didn't like them very much to begin with and weren't willing to give them a try.

The sad thing is that I have, numerous times. Out of their entire discography, the only release that I will deem great is the VOLUME UP album. Its one of the best K-pop albums ive ever listened to. Track after track, was just certified bangers. Also Hit your heart had two pretty great songs on it as well. The rest of what they've done reminds me of GD, and a lot of the male groups that I cant stand as well. And that is the image they try to push with visuals and music doesn't fit with them at all. And the basis of many of their songs are hip hop/rap based which is one of the most HIT or MISS aspects of K-pop. Also, it doesn't help that the production of the songs are 9/10 musically unappealing to me. Its very cringe inducing.

The only song on the new album that I did enjoy, however was COLD RAIN but even that was meh....

Also, was it necessary to throw that line about SUGAR FREE on there? Yes, everyone who's interacted with me recently knows how great I think the song is but I in no way used the song as the basis to belittle anyone else's tastes. I've said this once in the Lycaon thread to you, Blackdoll and will repeat it once again (for hopefully the last time): GET a grip. Lets discuss music as adults without staning or resorting to petty remarks/actions.

And that is the image they try to push with visuals and music doesn't fit with them at all. And the basis of many of their songs are hip hop/rap based which is one of the most HIT or MISS aspects of K-pop. Also, it doesn't help that the production of the songs are 9/10 musically unappealing to me. Its very cringe inducing.

Also, was it necessary to throw that line about SUGAR FREE on there? Yes, everyone who's interacted with me recently knows how great I think the song is but I in no way used the song as the basis to belittle anyone else's tastes. I've said this once in the Lycaon thread to you, Blackdoll and will repeat it once again (for hopefully the last time): GET a grip. Lets discuss music as adults without staning or resorting to petty remarks/actions.

how does it not fit. All the girls looked hot  and rocked it (since you said visual). The song it's self fit did a wonderful job.  all the vocals fit perfectly with the instrumental parts per person, they were not forced, but relaxed. it might have been a bit rushed and the english rap a tad bit rough but not close enough to hurt the song. I listened to their disco and they are pop based not hiphop base, i  mean hyuna raps but thats just a k-pop thing. I do feel like Hyuna should have had majoraty of the hiphop songs though

It was necessary. i was telling zombiesatemycereal you have your taste which in it doesn't matter that the song is repetitive and you just don't like 4minute / style of kpop and it isn't your thing.

Now that Jewelry has disbanded, I want one of my favorite rappers to make solo debut.

full song