Maiku

What are you reading?

almost finished A Storm of Swords and dreading of reading A Feast for Crows since everybody's been saying it's the worst book in the series. so i'll probably read Malice by Keigo Higashino. it's a shame there are so few of his books were translated onto english.

China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, yeeeeee boiii

I love just about every single book this guy has written

Jean Ray: Malpertuis - The tagline was that this guy was the 'Flemish Lovecraft', so I sat down with high hopes, but this is nothing like Lovecraft, haha. It's more like a mildly boring haunted house scenario so far, tho I'm only halfway through. Gonna finish it up tomorrow on a train ride, hopefully it picks up steam in the second half.

Benedek Totth: Holtverseny [Hungarian, title translation could be something like 'Dead Heat'] - ...aaand another book with a slightly boasting tagline; this one's being compared to Trainspotting. Again, high expectations based just on that. So far it delivers, nice pace and funny dialogues, with just the right amount of vacant teenage despair and nihilism that I like, heh. Will finish this one fast, methinks.

reading A Feast for Crows. well it's not as bad as i was afraid it would be but Cersei and Brienne's chapters are fucking awful. also what a shame those bastards invited Lena Headey for her role. besides of being awful actress, she's also old and fugly, jfc. in books she is described like femme fatale but in series she's just an ewwwughhhkdjhkjf. anyway, i'm enjoying Greyjoy's and Dorn chapters as well as Arya's. 

also reading C# in Depth by Jon Skeet and JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford. pretty cool stuff if you like these programming languages. funnily enough, that i first read Flanagan's JavaScript: The Definitive Guide (which is awesome). usually it's other way around: people first read Good Parts and then Guide.

not much of a reader, but recently ran through Andy Weir - The Martian in a couple of hours. Great book, it's really unconventional in its theme and way of narration, but it was a great experience. Probably the most plausible SciFi story i've ever come across and a great read in general!

10/10 would recommend

The Movie for it will come out shortly (by Ridley Scott), maybe that'll make reading the book redundant. I'm happy I read it anyways and still curious about the movie, reviews so far claim it's pretty good

Finally finishing my run through China Mieville's bibliography by reading through his Bas-Lag trilogy. Currently about halfway through the final part, Iron Council. Like all of Mieville's works, I have loved just about every minute of it.

Also, I saw that Penguin Books is going to reprint a couple of Thomas Ligotti's rare short story anthologies and that shit's got me H Y P E D

I came to a conclusion I have an inherent dislike to anything sci-fi and fantasy, don't care about thrillers and horror, get bored by historical novels, plays and romance novels, aka women's books; and the only thing I am willing to read is adventure (as of today at least). I started reading a book picked absolutely randomly, called Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. It seems pretty cool so far.

Went to the library today in hopes of borrowing the new book about Hitler, but they didn't have it, so I ended up taking Dante's Divine Comedy. Hopefully it'll entertain me longer than the last one did :P But I really want to read Er Ist Weider Da (He's Back).

Went to the library today in hopes of borrowing the new book about Hitler, but they didn't have it, so I ended up taking Dante's Divine Comedy. Hopefully it'll entertain me longer than the last one did :P But I really want to read Er Ist Weider Da (He's Back).

Er Ist Weider Da is a really funny book, I enjoyed reading it a lot despite having to read a Swedish translation, the languages are close enough to carry over at least some of the unique phrasing that makes it so good, it literally does feel like reading a very absurd and humorous continuation of Mein Kampf, which I've also read extensively.

And to contribute to this post, I'm reading The Prince by Machiavelli currently, slowly, because I'm trying to ponder the application of 16th century political wisdom to 21st century conditions. It's only 80-90 or so pages but I've been at it for almost two weeks already. Really enjoying it and seeing a lot of relevance in some of the theories presented, even today.

Mariam Petrosyan: The House, In Which...: Quite a large novel, at least compared to what I'm used to. Thus, I'm progressing pretty slowly, but lovin' every page of it. It's a huge, sprawling story about a boarding school of disabled kids who make up their own little world/mythology. What I like most of all is how it's not geared at making the reader feel pity or sadness concerning the kids, they live their curious lives the way they know, the way it's always been. It has a kinda weird/urban fantasy feeling, sprinkled with childhood and coming-of-age stuff, written beautifully and very evocatively.

S. T. Joshi: H. P. Lovecraft - A Life: Biography of the influential American weird fiction/horror writer Howard Phillips Lovecraft, written by the foremost scholar of his life and work. It's incredibly detailed, maybe bordering on ridiculous and/or boring at times, but full of interesting and useful info as well. I'm mostly enjoying the parts about the author's everyday private life and how the actual stories came to be, inspiration-wise.

Fiction:

Ingeborg Bachmann, The Book of Franza

Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

also rereading Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse and reminding myself what a masterpiece it is

Non-fiction:

Tony Judt, Thinking the Twentieth Century

Francis Fukuyama, The Origins of Political Order (still on the first volume..)

...and some Jacques Derrida essays orz

On 2016. 04. 15. at 4:52 PM, hiroki said:

Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

Excellent~ <3

Currently reading

- Bret Easton Ellis: American Psycho (quite good so far, as expected)

- Robert Nye: Faust (pretty hilarious)

Started reading Peter Singer's Animal Liberation. Apparently my friend read this and converted to a vegetarian... so.... we'll see XD

wow this thread's quiet :/

so i've been reading an assortment of random stuff...

fiction:

Rainer Maria Rilke - The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge

Kazuo Ishiguro - Nocturnes . My second (and last) attempt at this.

Doris Lessing - The Grass is Singing. I loveee Lessing, despite what many critics might say. I enjoy her deadpan humor and how witty yet subtly incisive her style is. She reminds me 1000% of what Hannah Arendt novels would look like if those were a thing.

non-fiction:

Walter Benjamin - The Writer of Modern Life. Basically a compilation of Benjamin's essays on Baudelaire... but I've read half of them before from elsewhere.

Christopher Hitchens - Arguably. No idea why I'm even reading this.. but nice to have something light in the mix lol.

Also promised myself to go through this beauty at some point:

11uagsg.jpg

I just started this book the day before yesterday and since then every night is a fight between the need to sleep and my unwillingness to put it down... It's just too hard.

Fangirl  by Rainbow Rowell.

It's my first time reading something by this author, so I didn't know what to expect... but it's surprisingly pleasant to read! I usually read fantasy and sci-fi, so this is a change of pace. It flows so easily that I'll probably finish reading it tonight. Even though it's not a fantasy book, the main character loves fantasy books and writes fanfics about it... lol. The whole world surround her was really familiar since I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and the (fictional) fantasy book series she loves the most is clearly based on Harry Potter series. Awesome read, highly recommended.

read that new Harry Potter book which was pretty awful and very out of place. oh well i didn't expect more from a fanfic.

Kill the Mockingbird by Harper Lee was great though! while reading i had a very strong feeling that i already heard some part of this story which was pretty weird because i don't remember reading it nor watching the movie. 

now reading Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and it is very good so far.