God

Emulators, yes or no?

I've been playing Final Fantasy VIII via epsxe for a few weeks now and it occurred to me that the game looked a lot better than I remember it looking on my PSX when I was a kid.  This lead me to think of the question, because of the tweaks you can get out of the machine for the .iso to look smoother, etc, I wonder if there are people who believe in the emulator master race as a specific sub-sect of the PC master race.

Personally, I feel as if I enjoy playing it on an old, tube TV more, but it's a pretty easy alternative when you don't have those things.  

Dude emulators can make games look really amazing sometimes. For example FFXII which is already one of the best looking games on PS2 can look so much better on PCSX2 with a 16:9 widescreen patch, 5x resolution, and AA applied.. in some cases it looks even better than some PS3 games. So yes I totally believe there could be a sub-sect of the "PC master race" for Emulating older games to look a lot better than they were intended to.

The older the game though the more nostalgic it is to play on old hardware such as tube TVs, but there's definitely a fine line when the advantages of emulators overtake that nostalgic feeling. 

I can only imagine how amazing they can get, man.  I'm using a shelf bought PC, and they still looked better.

I didn't even realised we'd reached the level of PS2 emulation yet. I'm gonna get right on that, there's so many old games I'd love to replay.

It is only logical for emulators on modern pcs to have a better look than a 20 yr old system. I personally love the speed-up boost for some games that drag. I never had to look forward to a bicycle in pokemon for example, just keep my finger pressed on a key and I can move faster than a bike could.

I played Final Fantasy VII on ePSXe years ago, and I shamelessly used it to cheat the Super Dunk minigame by quicksaving after every succesful throw. :spin:

Since I never had a PS1 I can't really comment on how the graphics looked like in comparison, but back then it was quite a hassle to set up the emulator to properly play the game with sound, cut scenes etc... However that was like... 10 years ago.

When FF7 was released on Steam recently I bought it anyway, even though I own the PS discs, just because I didn't really want to bother with setting up an emulator again. I do miss the quicksave button though.

I also played a few SNES games on emulator, but that's a whole different story.

I didn't even realised we'd reached the level of PS2 emulation yet. I'm gonna get right on that, there's so many old games I'd love to replay.

yeah dude that's nothing new, PS2 emulation has been possible for years now (since before 2010 i believe?). Now only if we could get PS3 emulation to take off... fat chance of that happening any time soon XD I would say were probably still 5 or so years before we'll be able to do proper stable PS3 emulation on PC, maybe even longer.

yeah dude that's nothing new, PS2 emulation has been possible for years now (since before 2010 i believe?). Now only if we could get PS3 emulation to take off... fat chance of that happening any time soon XD I would say were probably still 5 or so years before we'll be able to do proper stable PS3 emulation on PC, maybe even longer.

As far as I'm aware, there's no emulator for the PS Vita that works, either.  As far as PS3, I believe I read something about an emulator that plays demos or something?  Can't quite remember, it was a while ago.

I used an emulator for N64 while in college to play some games I couldn't beat as a kid. I also got one for GBA to play through a bit of Pokemon Emerald. I don't really see the harm in doing so, personally, unless it's a game that literally just came out.

I use OpenEmu (cos I got a Mac), which is awesome! The experimental builds support pretty much every past generation console, all in one app. The SNES games all work perfectly, but the N64 games are quite glitchy, especially Donkey Kong 64, that one is glitchy as fuck; but the N64 glitches are a Mupen problem, and that's the only N64 core that OpenEmu uses.

Where can I get a PS2 emulator and the roms? Any trusted sources?

http://pcsx2.net/

that will get you started on the emulator, they have guides on how to install and setup all the correct settings and also explains what said settings do, they also have a section that tells you how compatible games are and what to expect out of performance, bugs, ect. As for PS2 ISO's (their called ISO's not ROM's) what I do is figure out what I want to play and then I torrent the ISO... Most reliable method IMO.

I have an Ouya and it seems to do pretty well with emulators with what I've tried on it, just a handful of PS1 games.  It runs Castlevania SOTN flawlessly, that's pretty awesome.  For some reason I feel the Xbox Live version looks terrible....

Also, it means I can play things like Lunar 2 which (FOR SOME REASON) still hasn't been added to PSN, even though all the Arc The Lad games have, and Lunar SSS I believe.

And for that matter, anyone with a PS4, can it run PS1, etc. games from the PS Store?