Champ213

The Folk Metal Thread

When hell freezes over.

If he ever finishes writing and recording a lightning will probably strike the studio when he does the final mixing. =/

Jari is the biggest troll ever. I bet the album doesn't even actually exist. ;D

Nah, seriously. He's has some shit luck with LP2/Time, maybe he jinxed himself by naming the record "Time"

Anyways, I want a new fucking Falkenbach album. Which most likely won't happen for a helluva a long timee.

Time is finished. Jari's already taking a couple of years building his interdimensional starship fleet. He's going to literally release the album, into space. In the hope that a developed alien race somewhere might be capable of withstanding the epic. This is of course because he had a vision that Time would end the world in 2012, the unfortunate release date Jari was too much of a personification of truth to change.

The Time puns on last fm are really annoying, don't go on their page on there anymore. I only got into Wintersun last year and I fucking love the album so I'm cool with waiting for however long it takes.

This might be relevant to somebody's interest...

I listened to Gwydion's new album "Horn Triskelion" today and found it surprisingly worthwhile. Stylistically it's somewhere between Alestorm, Ensiferum, Turisas and Finntroll, so if you like any of these bands, it might be worth a try.

Plus, they have a song called "Six Trials to Become a Beerzerker". :DUUR:

Here's an album teaser:

And my favourite song from the album:

I'm generally surprised by the number of solid and well-produced albums coming out from the Trollzorn label in recent times (Bran Barr, Wulfgar and now this). Lots of their releases used to be pretty mediocre at best, as far as I remember, lol.

Really looking forward to the new Moonsorrow and Primordial album. None of them are Folk Metal and none of them ever was, but I didn't see a better place to put this.

But for Folk Metal I like Ensiferum, Turisas and Finntroll among others. Can anyone reccommend me some good bands?

Can anyone reccommend me some good bands?
I fear that most of what I could recommend would be either "cræp" or "lål", or something to that extent, so... no. :D

Anyway, what I really came here for: as has been recently brought to my attention by Prism, Metal Hammer UK released a Black Sabbath Tribute CD with its current (?) issue. It includes, among others an entry by Turisas , so it's relevant to this thread. Sadly the german version of the magazine doesn't have it, but after some searching I managed to find a download link. You you can probably find it too with a bit of effort, or anybody can just drop me a PM if they're interested in either the Turisas song, or the complete CD.

FYI, this is the full tracklist: (As spoiler to avoid bloating the post)

Spoiler: click to toggle

The Turisas song is also on Youtube:

(Again thanks to Prism for the link.)

Champ213 - Hmm ok. I will just check out all the bands mentioned here then and see if any of them sound like Ensiferum, Turisas and Finntroll. Thanks for your answer at least. ;)

I never got into Månegarm and think all their albums suck but I must say I love Urminnes Hävd - The Forest Sessions. Listening now for the first time since 07 and I still love it. Not Metal though but it's Folk at least. Check it out if you like Folk music with nice atmosphere and lovely swedish vocals sung by both man and a girl.

I fucking love fucking Wintersun >:U but also Arkona! Those two are my top favourite folk metal bands but Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Týr, Finntroll, Turisas, Korpiklaani and Alkonost I like. I want to try Elevenking but I been lazy....
I shall create several fake last.fm profiles and scrobble alledged tracks from Time, and see what happens.

LOL!

Elvenking is amazing! I suggest you to hear the albums Wyrd and Heathenreel first.

It's different from the bands you like because it's most power metal than folk itself. I mean, it isn't so heavy as Ensiferum or Korkpiklaani!

Elvenking is nice to me. Not too fond of the "The Skythe" album, except for the title track, but I like most of the rest. I can understand that some people are not too crazy about the vocals, but I think he's one of the more tolerable power metal vocalists. Looking forward to the new album anyway.

I can understand that some people are not too crazy about the vocals, but I think he's one of the more tolerable power metal vocalists.

Do you mean Damnagoras?

I think he has such a great voice, but can't beat Kleid's vocals. Even if he just sang in the Wyrd album, it sounded greater than Damnagoras. I would like to know in wich band is he playing now.

Yeah, I mean Damnagoras. Or, I guess people mean Damnagoras when they say they don't like the vocalist. Personally I don't mind his voice (except his attempts at growling in songs like "The Winter Wake" - I like the accoustic version much more).

I see. Damnagora should practice more. He isn't bad at all, but his high notes needs some work.

Yes, yes! And I agree with you. They showed that they can do much more, just like in the The Winter Wake acoustic version. I really prefer this one than the regular.

Did I reply here yet? I don't even remember where I spew my thoughts on the internet anymore @__@

Anyway, the only folk metal I've ever listened to is the stuff Arithmetica shared, so one song from Arkona and one from Wintersun. I've bought more Wintersun songs from iTunes and really like them but I haven't gotten around to getting more from Arkona. Unfortunately, iTunes only has Arkona in latin letters...so I have no idea which songs are popular nor which albums are worth while D: .

I like the album 'Ot Serdtsa K Nebu' (От Сердца к Небу). But to be honest, I haven't tried their latest album 'Goi, Rode, goi' yet, so I can't comment on that.

As for the older stuff... I remember listening to 'Lepta' loooong time ago, and I didn't really like it, but that doesn't mean much as my tastes were different back then and I really only skipped through it.

And Wintersun isn't a Folk Metal band at all. Not even close. Just a Melodic Death Metal band. Quite epic at times as well.

I like Falkenbach, and the fact that the new album is comming up is quite fantastic. Never released anything bellow amaznig. Do like their more Black Metal stuff more, but everything is great. Even the polished Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty is damn amazing, and by far thewir more folk-influenced album.

New album is set to be called Tiurida. Oh yeah! Been waiting 5 years for this now so it's gonna be golden.

Something nice:

xCADBV-wh6U

I stumbled across them recently. They only have a 4-track MCD so far, but I can warmly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried them so far.

More traditional intruments than the average folk metal band, and some atmospheric/ambient-ish metal elements. And the video is quite lovely too!

All their (4) songs can also be listened to at their MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/viterofficial