Champ213

The Folk Metal Thread

That was a lot better than I expected! "Land of Snow and Sorrow" also happens to be my favourite song from Time I. I always though that its melody would lend itself well to an accoustic song.

Came home from Turisas live tonight, and it was amazing! :D

This is the tracklist as far as I remember it:

1. 10 More Miles

2. Take the Day

3. Holmgard and Beyond

4. The Great Escape

5. Rex Regi Rebellis

6. For your own good

7. Battle Metal

8. No good story ever starts with drinking tea

9. We Ride Together

10. Miklagard Overture

Encore:

11. Stand Up And Fight

12. Rasputin

So apparently The Great Escape and Rex Regi Rebellis were the 2 songs that kept switching inbetween concerts, while the rest of the setlist is pretty stable. Can't really complain about the choices!

I'll write a bit more over in the concert thread later. :D

This song took me by surprise:

This should be an album to look forward to for fans of black/folk metal. The part that start around the 7 minute mark is just beautiful. Love it!

New Primordial Track As You’ve Never Heard Them Before!

Proving that there’s far more resonance to be gained from the folk/metal alliance than a knees-up and songs about beer, Drudkh mainman Roman Sayenko has gathered eight bands from across Europe, asked them to delve deep into their musical heritage, reinterpret it for a compilation album that gives voice to the timeless and unifying nature of traditional music.

Released on May 23 (May 27 in North America) via Season Of Mist Records, One And All, Together, For Home features the likes of the UK’s Winterfylleth, Ireland’s Primordial, Norway’s Kampfar and Ukraine’s Drudkh themselves as you’ve never heard them before.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/exclusive-new-primordial-track-as-youve-never-heard-them-before/

That is amazing. I mean, the whole concept is amazing (kudos to Roman), but this track, man. Amazing. Alan Averill is becoming a greater vocalist by every year.

Primordial plays the original version of this track before their concerts. The original is very nice too.

This thread is pretty dead so I doubt people care, but Empyrium is releasing a new album this year. Their first since 2014. I am very excited for that. Should be damn good.

It took a few listens, but I am enjoying the new Vintersorg tack surprisingly much. The chorus is fantastic and such a nice contrast to the rest of the song.

Been spinning Vintersorg's Naturbål a lot lately. With Cosmic Genesis, released in 2000, Vintersorg moved away from his well-known folk metal sound and stepped into progressive territory, and lyrically he moved from nature and paganism to cosmos. While there was still elements of both the folk and black metal sound in the music, it was a huge change and while a good album, it's inferior to the three albums relesed before it. With each album he got gradually worse and reached a low with the progressive The Focusing Blur. Not bad, just not very good either.

Then came Solens rötter and we were promised an album that would be back to the roots with folky metal and lyrics in Swedish. Well, it was a bit folkier, and it had Swedish lyrics, but it wasn't much about it that reminded anyone about the good, ol' days of Vintersorg. With that album I stopped checking out his new albums. He also got gradually more annoying vocal-wise, and went to become awful in both Vintersorg and Borknagar (both bands got worse with each release anyway, so it did not matter).

I accidently came over his promo video for Lågornas rov and it was such a surprise. Once again he was playing around with folky black metal with a progressive and symphonic touch, and it was by far the best song he had done since Ödermarkens son. The album is amazing, and VIntersorg finally sings good again as well. The album feels like the natural follow-up to Ödermarkens son. Well-written and interesting songs with lots of catches, fantastic choruses, a production with a few, lovely faults and great vocals. His best album since Ödermarkens son, and perhaps even better than that, and it feels like a natural follow-up to Ödermarkens son, without him just copying himself. It's new and fresh, yet so familiar.

Because of this I also decided to check out Jordpuls and Orkan, and he got more and more back to his roots with each album. Both which are decent, and both song-wise and vocal-wise he's gradually gotten better with each of the four last albums. None of them are nearly as good as this, though, because this album is fantastic.

10985299_986890914656316_569147480310898

Home of the Wind is the first documentary about Moonsorrow, currently in pre-production.

Directed by: Leo (Jörmungandr Media, The Breathless Sleep) & Abel 'Grilo' do Demo (Unofficial Moonsorrow Biography)

Give them your support:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/homeofthewind

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HomeoftheWind

Instagram: https://instagram.com/homeofthewind/

"Meet The Filmmakers!

HOME OF THE WIND is the title of the first documentary about Moonsorrow, currently in pre-production. Later this year, our team will fly to Helsinki to interview the band members and other related people. The goal is to have the history of the band told by themselves and show all the places relevant in Moonsorrow's 20 years of history. We're working closely with the band, and we're aiming high.

Now you may wonder, who are 'we'?

***Leo Aragón***

Born and raised in Argentina, Leo Aragón has also lived in Valencia, Spain, where he studied Audiovisual Communication and founded the webzine THE BREATHLESS SLEEP in 2011, proving a big dedication to the metal scene. He later moved to London, UK, where he currently lives and works. He's endorsed by the London venue Underworld, where he usually shoots and interviews the bands that play there. A total geek of photography, sound and video, Leo's interests include skateboarding, meditation and neglecting the minimum healthy sleep for editing videos and designing all kinds of stuff.

***Abel "Grilo" do Demo***

Hailing from Galicia, Spain, Grilo is just a guy whose understanding of music radically changed in December 2006, when he first heard an album called “Hävitetty” by a band he had never heard of. He later wrote an unofficial Moonsorrow biography, which received the attention of a few other die-hard fans around the world and led to a closer contact with the band members. Since then, he travelled half of Europe to see Moonsorrow concerts, interviewed the band several times and currently administers the Epic Heathen Forum (http://moonsorrow.freeforums.org/). Grilo has a degree in Translation and Interpreting and his interests include languages, history and deciding what Moonsorrow-related project to start next.

It all started in February 2015, when Grilo travelled to England to see Moonsorrow live in York. On his way there, he spent a few hours in London, where he met Leo, an old friend and webzine colleague, for the first time in person. They went for a few drinks in Camden, and it was in one of those pubs where Leo brought up his big idea. He knew about the biography Grilo had written and wanted to turn it into a film. When Grilo's mind recovered from being blown and was able to talk again, he agreed.

During the following weeks, they/we discussed the details a little further, until we eventually contacted the band, who responded with growing enthusiasm. The following steps were contacting labels, artists and other people to work with us. The snowball had started to grow unstoppably. And it just seems to keep growing.

We have a website in the works, we will also have Facebook and other social network profiles and we will unveil details gradually. For the time being, you can follow this space and join the discussion in the forum: http://moonsorrow.freeforums.org/

STAY TUNED!"

Well, this could be cool. I'm interested.

Guest lynchisizer

I'm not the biggest fan of Folk Metal, but I can dig some of it, for example some Korpiklaani never hurts :)