Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

Speaking of Nintendo 3DS, anyone else besides me really hype and excited about the announcement of Dragon Quest VII & VIII coming to the 3DS over here in the west? Honestly the best announcement ever and made that already good nintendo direct even better for me.

I somewhat had lost hope of them ever localizing VII and then the cherry on top is not only will they be doing VII but also VIII which is literally one of the best RPGs on the PS2.

/\

I never played this series, Dragon Quest games are good?

Since I do still own PS2, I'm kind looking for games to buy and play. I should probably try this/those if it looks interesting.

I will probably get 3DS next year, around June. I'm in need to play some Kingdom Hearts and others games for DS/3DS.

Even though this seems to be only a FPS online game, I'm still hyped for it. I hope someday somebody will make a proper Ghost In The Shell Game. The closet thing to that right now is Deux Ex Human Revolution.  

Speaking of Nintendo 3DS, anyone else besides me really hype and excited about the announcement of Dragon Quest VII & VIII coming to the 3DS over here in the west? Honestly the best announcement ever and made that already good nintendo direct even better for me.

I somewhat had lost hope of them ever localizing VII and then the cherry on top is not only will they be doing VII but also VIII which is literally one of the best RPGs on the PS2.

I'm excited as well! I only played the original VII on an emulator and my ps2 broke so I haven't been able to play VIII in years, this is going to be a great way to revisit those games. Also looking forward to finally getting Xenoblade Chronicles X next week, the wait has been far too long xD

/\

I never played this series, Dragon Quest games are good?

Since I do still own PS2, I'm kind looking for games to buy and play. I should probably try this/those if it looks interesting.

I will probably get 3DS next year, around June. I'm in need to play some Kingdom Hearts and others games for DS/3DS.

Yeah they're pretty similar to the old turn based final fantasy games but with a more noticeable focus on the fantasy setting. In fact I'm pretty sure DQ is actually more popular than FF in Japan... It's one of those series that is extremely popular and highly touted inside of Japan but never caught on majorly overseas.

^ The beauty is too much. I'm just going to try and wait patiently for it and complete it as a remaster instead of trying to rush through the game on my PC.

THE FUCKIN HYPE IT LOOKS AMAZING

As predicted the gameplay isn't turnbased, but it still looks amazing nevertheless.

It looks amazing so far... Japanese version confirmed the Japanese VA for Cloud is back too so I'm incredibly happy about that as well ._. It better have dual audio.

Considering it's going current gen consoles, it's only logical the gameplay changed. No surprise there, nor do I mind. I'm all here for that.

ughh not turn based.... that's horrible. oh well still looks pretty cool, I know all the turn based peeps are mad salty right now though me included xD

excited-michigan-state-band-girl-college

*eternally screams* THE HYPE IS TOO REAL!

I need to get my own PS4 after all these upcoming PS4 games, hot damn. I was so obsessed with the first game and completed it so quickly, having another addition of it is truly brilliant.

Conspiracy time. I reckon VII started development at the same time Nomura got taken off of Versus. I imagine they greenlit VII, assigned Nomura as the director, realised he couldn't handle three AAAs at once (Versus, KH3, and VII) and so they took him off of Versus and replaced him with Tabata. Then Nomura decided that he wanted to use the battle system he'd been using on Versus in VII, and so they decided to have Tabata just come up with his own action-RPG system for Versus instead. At that point they decided to just rebrand the latter game as XV since it was essentially becoming a different game anyway. This would explain why the gameplay in VII looks extremely similar to Versus' original gameplay (command-based action RPG, character switching, etc) whereas XV's has become increasingly different since Tabata took over (direct input-action RPG, no character switching, etc). It would also explain why the game looks so far along in development now. Rumours about Versus being canned and repackaged started making the rounds as early as 2012, so if my theory is even remotely close to being correct then VII should have had a decent amount of development time already.

Conspiracies aside, the game looks decent. I'm not a fan of the voice acting but otherwise it seems to be progressing nicely. I'm glad they had the balls to scrap the original battle system. I've never seen the point in remaking something but then keeping it exactly the same in all areas except for graphics; it's both shallow and a waste of time/resources that could have been spent on creating new things. I'm curious as to who's re-arranging the OST. They already said that it isn't Uematsu which is a good thing; he's just not a very capable arranger (hence why he doesn't even arrange his own compositions any more). It doesn't sound like Hamauzu too much based on that track, and I don't think they'd give a game of this scale and importance to Ishimoto. My only guess at the moment is Narita since he's one of Uematsu's most trusted arrangers (XIV, The Last Story, X HD). Either way, I'm excited to hear more from the OST.

EDIT: That track is from Distant Worlds, so disregard my comment about Hamauzu.

Sweet motherfucker finally some video game news I can be excited about. The first one was absolutely brilliant. 

Although it seems like the new chosen one will also have a new fairy partner. Gonna miss me some Drippy. Loved that dude and his funky Welsh accent. The only reason I ever played the game in English. BUT HEY, ALL FAIRIES ARE WELSH, RIGHT? RIGHT?!

Conspiracy time. I reckon VII started development at the same time Nomura got taken off of Versus. I imagine they greenlit VII, assigned Nomura as the director, realised he couldn't handle three AAAs at once (Versus, KH3, and VII) and so they took him off of Versus and replaced him with Tabata. Then Nomura decided that he wanted to use the battle system he'd been using on Versus in VII, and so they decided to have Tabata just come up with his own action-RPG system for Versus instead. At that point they decided to just rebrand the latter game as XV since it was essentially becoming a different game anyway. This would explain why the gameplay in VII looks extremely similar to Versus' original gameplay (command-based action RPG, character switching, etc) whereas XV's has become increasingly different since Tabata took over (direct input-action RPG, no character switching, etc). It would also explain why the game looks so far along in development now. Rumours about Versus being canned and repackaged started making the rounds as early as 2012, so if my theory is even remotely close to being correct then VII should have had a decent amount of development time already.

I very much hope there might be some truth to this :)

however, just for the sake of the argument here's a few counter points to that.

I think it's way too early to assume anything about the battle-system at this point. The only thing I'd clearly rule out would be it being round-based, which is something I applaud as well. I am quite the fan of FF7's battle system, as a matter of fact its round-based core, with the brilliant materia-system on top of it is still probably my favorite combat-mechanic alltogether.

That being said, with its arena stages and turn-mechanic it wouldn't really fit into a game-aesthetic that the remake now is going for, which is much more pseudo-realistic instead of clearly game-y over stylized like the original. Curious how they'll implement the materia into whatever that new mechanic is. I mean magic and summons is pretty obvious, but with the more funky ones like counter/2x-Hit/block/mime etc. it gets interesting^^

With what we're seeing of the combat so far, it perhaps might look a bit like versus, but could also be anything really. The only thing we see is the characters doing their combat thing (and character switching, yes) plus the UI so far, which as far as i can tell seems like a placeholder to me. Just for comparison think about how the combat in the nearly finished FFXV-Demo is still subject of change for the final version (whole new blocking-/ targeting- and magic-mechanic, different limit-mechanic, new/different combo-mechanic), so I can only speculate what the FF7R combat will look like, with it assumingly being still in the early to mid stages of development.

Lots of comparisons have been made to Versus, to KH3, to CrisisCore and to XV, maybe it'll be like one of these, maybe a mixture, maybe sth completely different, but so far these all seem more or less equally reasonable.

Also about how far in development it seems to be, I too first was surprised to already see actual ingame footage of sorts. That being said, this could very well be just some of the first level-designs with an extremely rough/early stage combat-system slapped onto the XV-engine. It doesn't really need to be that long into development for sth like that i presume. On the other hand thank god they finally don't have to develop a whole new engine for their game :D so that's probably already a huge load off the developers back, plus the story+universe itself is already written. One could probably make the point though, that it might be just as hard to adapt an existing story to a new narrative as it is to write a whole new one, if not harder.

Your speculation is obviously just as valid, this just as a few points to maybe consider ;)

Also regarding the points about (HD-)remakes in general I agree for the most part. Especially the ones that just supersize the textures and beef up resolution (and maybe UI or sth) are pretty much pointless in the best case, in the worst case they even destroy the originals "charme". For FF7 however it's a bit of a different cup of tea. The medium has changed so much, the possibilities and the aesthetics as well. It may be the same story, but how the narrative will be directed is a completely new thing, voice acting, camera-movement, cutscenes, facial animations etcetc. so despite this being "just" a remake, it is more comparable to a new adaption. Think like the adaption of a book to a movie (obviously not quite as much, but certainly a bit more in this direction).

That all being said, if the game really has been in development since 2012, if pre-existing engine+story really speed things up a ton, could we [pinkflowerdreamglasses=ON] perhaps think about a release 2017? 20th anniversary anyone? [pinkflowerdreamglasses=OFF]

yeah yeah, i know it's probably 2078 or sth, but a boy can dream, right?

btw, if they add any save aerith option i'm going to punch a puppy

Conspiracies aside, the game looks decent. I'm not a fan of the voice acting but otherwise it seems to be progressing nicely. I'm glad they had the balls to scrap the original battle system. I've never seen the point in remaking something but then keeping it exactly the same in all areas except for graphics; it's both shallow and a waste of time/resources that could have been spent on creating new things. I'm curious as to who's re-arranging the OST. They already said that it isn't Uematsu which is a good thing; he's just not a very capable arranger (hence why he doesn't even arrange his own compositions any more). It doesn't sound like Hamauzu too much based on that track, and I don't think they'd give a game of this scale and importance to Ishimoto. My only guess at the moment is Narita since he's one of Uematsu's most trusted arrangers (XIV, The Last Story, X HD). Either way, I'm excited to hear more from the OST.

EDIT: That track is from Distant Worlds, so disregard my comment about Hamauzu.

Considering it's VII and Ishimoto already arranged the songs for Advent Children/Crisis Core before, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be involved too.

Also on the whole Nomura thing, I agree with that assumption. I do seem to remember they lost data at some point so if that had been anything concerning VS, then I'd understand it even more. XV is not VS, as they've mentioned before. It takes VS as a core but has gotten so much more to it. VS wasn't a flagship series installment anyway, and now it's been rebranded as XV it just means there's way more to it than it would originally have been. I'm still of the opinion this is a good thing, but that's also partly because I really love the setting and concept of the game so far.

What they could have also thought of is that the battle system they'd come up with would fit a VII remake more (if they were going to do one anyway) than it would have VS when it moved to being XV.

All that aside, I just hope all these games come with dual audio from now on. I need them with good voices. Please. Thanks.

Some disconcerting news coming from Square's recent press release.

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. If each part is essentially the equivalent of each of the original game's discs then it doesn't sound so bad, but if it compromises things like the overworld structure or character progression, etc, then that sucks massively.

Considering it's VII and Ishimoto already arranged the songs for Advent Children before, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be involved too.

Good shout, that completely slipped my mind.

Yeah fuck that. Why can't they just release it all at once? So sick of episodic games. This to me just screams money grubbing, they'll probably release it in 5 parts, with each part being $15 or $20 that will equal $80-$100... Instead of selling the whole game for the traditional $60 they will milk the fans for more money because they know that they will buy it anyways.

really stupid and even if that's not the case, I still don't won't to buy this game in parts...for one episodic games are made for the digital platform which means unless you plan to buy it digital you won't be able to buy the game physical until all the episodes are released and when/if they even do a physical release later on however many months later. Not everybody buys digital and a game like this I'm pretty sure a lot of people are gonna want to buy a physical version but also want to play at launch and not have to wait to play the game. which either means you buy the game twice or you wait.

tdlr; makes no fucking sense and square is probably fucking up.

Square knows the fans they got around those years, they also know that they will buy it being full, in chapter, even season pass,...

They are trying to get more money with the love from fans.

Hopefully they will not do this with KH3!

Every new world other than the first one is DLC, microtransactions required to actually have Donald fucking heal your ass for once

btw what is UP with those fucking Tekken 1-tier CGI graphics on some of the characters in that new KoF game?

05_kof14newmenus03.jpg

Andy and Leona look like they're straight from the PS1 era lol

Best look for Leona IMO and I'm glad SNK is finally getting off their asses.

Looking forward the FFVII remake, because nostalgia. FFXV is taking too damn long!

Before we all freak out about FF7-Remake being "multi-part" and being "action RPG".. here are some points from interviews with Nomura & Kitase (taken from another forum)

Originally Posted by raven777 

Quick stuff from interviews

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
-Although it's action style, it has ATB as well. 
-You can control other party members, but you can keep control one if you want

-3 party members ata time like the original

-ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who has experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts..

I don't trust Square Enix very much, and I'm totally convinced they are splitting FF7 to charge more $$$. However I understand that the game is rather huge, and re-creating all of those different towns, environments, and characters with modern graphics cannot be cheap. If they really cannot fit all of this into one disc, I would actually support the decision to split it up. They can use revenue from part 1 to fund part 2. It also means you'll be able to play part 1 a lot sooner than if you had to wait for the entire thing. Too bad they have to milk the rabid fanbase to do it. 

..That said, they have not revealed anything about the pricing or how many parts there will be. I would wait for that information before having a meltdown.

As for battle system, I would prefer turn-based. The part where it's "similar to Dissidia" has me a little concerned, because I played Dissidia on PSP for about 1-2 hours, did not get the battle system at all, and quit playing it. But, whatever, this game's battle system will be a hybrid of multiple styles, and I will be more motivated to learn it because it is FF7.

-------

As for Ni no Kuni 2, I wish I was more excited about it. I played the first game, and ~sort of~ liked it up until that last dungeon where there seemed to be a difficulty spike and I had to grind out levels. It really killed all the momentum of the story and made me hate the game. I also do not like the Miyazaki art style, and I hate playing as small children. The best part of the game was naming all of my Pokemon tamed monster things after VK band members. ..... I guess this series is just not for me.

-------

Upcoming games I'm presently hyped for (I'm a PS4/PS3/Vita player):

Tales of Berseria

Star Ocean 5

Yakuza 0 (I might actually just play the Japanese version if it goes on sale)

"Yakuza Extreme" (aka Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami)

Yakuza 6

Dragon Quest XI

Danganronpa 3

Zero Escape 3

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Wattam

Final Fantasy XV

Pretty sure all of these are scheduled for 2016 release. My wallet just fainted.