BrenGun

Girugamesh - Gravitation

Got excited from the Aoi Mochi review, but it's .. not that special. It sounds almost like lynch nowadays. I didn't listen to Monster, but it sounds very much like NOW, just a bit more technical. Production is very good..for a djent metalcore band. I don't know if you can call it "evolution" if a band tries to sound like other bands.

Didnt you read what we where talking a little ways back there ? Djent is not a genre , also the new mini album has only some elements of metalcore but is not a clean metalcore stuff . An Alternative Metal band mixing in elements of metalcore is still Alternative Metal . Also this sentence "I didn't listen to Monster, but it sounds very much like NOW, just a bit more technical " contradicts what you say later , if they are more technical then where did metalcore get in there ? Metalcore is the essence of easy nontechnical play , this is a genre made on hardcore punks easy riffs , fast drums and aggressive singing and lyrics .

this is a genre made on hardcore punks easy riffs , fast drums and aggressive singing and lyrics .

Originally, yes. But it's been a long time since the genre was watered down into something very different. Early metalcore bands like Earth Crisis, Integrity, Rorschach, Shai Hulud mixed hardcore and extreme metal, that's true. But as with most genres it changed as new bands came along, and what most people today recognize as metalcore has almost to nothing to do with hardcore. There's simply not much hardcore in Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Atreyu and all those. They're like watered down thrash and gothenburg metal.

Also, metalcore isn't synonymous with "easy and straight forward". It is fully possible to play a more technical version of metalcore.

Originally, yes. But it's been a long time since the genre was watered down into something very different. Early metalcore bands like Earth Crisis, Integrity, Rorschach, Shai Hulud mixed hardcore and extreme metal, that's true. But as with most genres it changed as new bands came along, and what most people today recognize as metalcore has almost to nothing to do with hardcore. There's simply not much hardcore in Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Atreyu and all those. They're like watered down thrash and gothenburg metal.

Also, metalcore isn't synonymous with "easy and straight forward". It is fully possible to play a more technical version of metalcore.

You are aware that all those bands you mention are Melodic Metalcore bands , again , this is a different genre than Metalcore .

Also more techincal metalcore , so either deathcore or mathcore , again both are different genres .

Didnt you read what we where talking a little ways back there ? Djent is not a genre , also the new mini album has only some elements of metalcore but is not a clean metalcore stuff . An Alternative Metal band mixing in elements of metalcore is still Alternative Metal . Also this sentence "I didn't listen to Monster, but it sounds very much like NOW, just a bit more technical " contradicts what you say later , if they are more technical then where did metalcore get in there ? Metalcore is the essence of easy nontechnical play , this is a genre made on hardcore punks easy riffs , fast drums and aggressive singing and lyrics .

Wow. I won't even answer to that.

Melodic metalcore is metalcore (hence the METALCORE-part in the name), and for the past 15 years it's what the majority of people have recognized as metalcore. It is bands like Killswitch Engage and Atreyu that's been synonymous with metalcore for the last 15 years, not the originals like Earth Crisis and Integrity. I'm also feeling pretty sure that is is modern metalcore aka melodic metalcore aka shit that's influenced the "jrock/visual kei" scene and not the originals.

Djent is not a genre

"Genre"'s in popular music are flimsy. Today, there is hardly a basis for taking Metal and breaking it into nearly 100 subgenres where as something so small as tempo or the level of distortion on a guitar can determine what "Genre" or "subgenre" a group falls into. If Djent is categorized by a sound modeled after Meshuggah, then it can be considered at the very least, a subgenre. Not considering it a genre, or a subgenre, is generally negative reaction at the recent influence Meshuggah has had on up-and-coming bands.

Does it really matter into what genre it fits best? Will it change your opinion if you can categorize it? It comes down to your taste, if you like it good, if you don't then move on. These arguments are pointless, modern music can't really be put into well-defined genres like before anymore, especially when it comes to rock/metal and all the endless sub-genres, obviouslly there are clear boundries between major genres and exceptions, but almost all music tends to borrow elements that are considered to be distinctive of a particular genre. Not to mention music evolves over time so the sound of what was once called metalcore can't be the same today, music isn't that stagnant, otherwise we wouldn't have so much diversity in music. Everything is IMO.

It all categorizes as metal at the end of the day. Honestly, tryna put bands into a specific category within metal is one of the most repetitive and annoying aspects within the community. At the end of the day, it all follows and classifies as things that anyone listening the first time will say its metal. No one ever wins with these conversations and threads/the main points of conversations are lost.

We all have differing opinions. Lets agree to disagree and drop it.

Does it really matter into what genre it fits best?... It comes down to your taste, if you like it good, if you don't then move on.

Even though the classification of bands can be largely arbitrary as you said, that does not mean the discussion of those things are as well. It offers insight into people's tastes, their understandings of music, and their views of music. There is a general fear to engage in such talk as it can often degrade into a shit storm; but that doesn't mean any conversation on the topic shouldn't happen....just, not in a girugamesh review thread.

edit: dont know why I put Sadie..

@relentless I didn't mean to come off as rude and I wasn't replying to anyone in particular. I do agree with you, it's always a good thing to exchange opinions and knowledge, though, as you noted, discussing music genres usually ends badly. This is a topic for reviewing girugamesh's lastest release, a band that has been known to mix more than one genre in their music and attempting to place it in a certain category is futile.

@relentless I didn't mean to come off as rude and I wasn't replying to anyone in particular. I do agree with you, it's always a good thing to exchange opinions and knowledge, though, as you noted, discussing music genres usually ends badly. This is a topic for reviewing girugamesh's lastest release, a band that has been known to mix more than one genre in their music and attempting to place it in a certain category is futile.

I didn't think you were coming off as rude. I was speaking generally as well.

Please highlight the sentence in which I refer to djent as a genre and not just as a name for a sound (also sorry if you think both mean the same thing). Or for that matter where I call Girugamesh djent.

And why would I do that? I have no interest in what you said seeing as how it's not a review and I never said you said that.

Okay y'all please stop the genre debate in this thread please! if you want to argue over what is what then by all means feel free to make a separate thread for it and have it out there. This topic is about Girugamesh's new album, nothing more. If i see any more off topic discussion about genres in here I will start to delete posts and possibly hand out warnings for the repeat offenders that can't comply.

Thank you.

Its a great production and the sound is awesome, but Im kind of sad that they are getting less and less melodic/catchy.
For me catchy melodic choruses is important but I guess everyone is different.

Who cares about the genre, this EP is epic shit. Way better than their previous releases. For me the electro parts suit them really well. Vortex and Go Ahead are my favorite.

Overall: 4/5

I found this mini-album very great, good catchy tunes.

Tbh, I always found giru's music...meh (which is sad because I really like Satoshi's voice). The latest couple of releases that I actually loved was 13's Reborn and Reason Of Crying (it's very old x'D). When I started to re-listening VK music, I begun with them and their full albums but it was a fail for me, very boring, it didn't attract me like Gravitation did (or maybe I should insist, idk). I heard that it was their new sound or something like that ? I totally sign for this !