Sign in to follow this  
Trombe

V.A. DVD "DNA -Do you have VK-DNA?-" release

V.A. DVD "DNA -Do you have VK-DNA?-" will be released at 2015/01/15 (3,500yen)

[track list]
01.THE DISTANCE - BatAAr (Sweden)
02.ANOTHER WORLD FALLS DOWN - DNR (Italy)
03.War Song - Visual MooN (Mongol)
04.Between The Lines - IN SHADE (Finaland)
05.Road Runner - MaleRose (Thailand)
06.VIVID DREAM - DIE/MAY (Sweden / Finland)
07.The Waxing Moon - Sol Ardour (USA)
08.Broken - KARMIA (Finland)
09.DROP H[E]ART - MEA (Indonesia)
10.土曜日と雨(doyoubi to ame) - Kogure (Germany)
11.Espiral - Allumina (Brazil)
12.Bom Waktu - BLACKMORAL (Indonesia)
13.Sexual slave - HYBRIDS (France)
14.Lipstick Tonic - Kerbera (Sweden)
15.忍の戦士 ニンジャマン(shinobi no senshi NINJAMAN) - NINJAMAN JAPAN (Japan)

The western interpretation of visual kei is this bastardised mix of corny melodramatic lyricism, poor low budget Gazette visuals and Linkin Park-esque musical stylings taken to an extent that the shittiest Japanese visual kei bands couldn't even begin to dream of.

Except for IN SHADE, Kogure and the bands from the asian countries NONE of those sound like a VK band. I think that's the problem with non-jap VK bands. They don't actually sound like VK. Like Disposable said, it's just a shitty mix of lots of stuff and the result sounds more like early 2000's nu-metal and it's disgusting. Most of them aren't even trying. They don't even wear make-up or look like an EBM band. I really, reaaaaaaaaaally wish I could like a western VK band. I'm totally in for the globalization of VK and all, but unfortunately most of the bands ain't helping the scene get any better. In my opinion, this will only help japs keep making fun of us and by us I mean, everyone that isn't japanese.

Congratulations to MaleRose, though. They look and sound way better than everything else in this V.A. and seem to be the only band taking this seriously.

SEA vk bands slay a bit, idk, I dig them

mongolia-kei also doesn't sound that bad

nordic vk kids should learn how to make better life choices from the french band

I also don't get why finnish wea-emo-boos are so insisting on singing in English

like who's checking for those half-asses lyrics anyway, at least they could use finnish as their ~exotic~ feature or something, it would only make their shit sound better from now tbh

I had a few chuckles and wtfs at some of the "visuals" some bands had. Overall I think MaleRose got the whole look and sound right, but no one would curr because they're Thai, then second would be MEA. The rest was like were they even attempting at costumes or just throwing shit together and putting on make up and are like we're a vk band now! VK bands invest a shit ton in their costumes if they don't know how to sew or don't know anyone willing to do it for free! And did Ninjaman Japan lose a bet to be on this DVD?

"And did Ninjaman Japan lose a bet to be on this DVD?"

^ That's exactly what I thought ! Sarino is really doing lots of lame shit with his career after SHELLY TRIP REALIZE, though, so who cares ?

Anygays, supposing all bands were good and had decent music/looks/PVs, are you against the fact that they don't sing in japanese ? In my opinion they should all sing in english, because it helps with the globalization stuff and they don't sound much like weebs. What do you think ?

Anygays, supposing all bands were good and had decent music/looks/PVs, are you against the fact that they don't sing in japanese ? In my opinion they should all sing in english, because it helps with the globalization stuff and they don't sound much like weebs. What do you think ?

If they had good music, I would be on board. I wouldn't care if they sung in any language. But what most of them were playing were not appealing to my ears at all. I listen to every genre of music, so I don't discriminate against any type of sound. Just things that aren't appealing to my ears.

What I don't like about  western "Visual Kei" bands is that most if not all of them only focus on achieving the VK look but they don't try to replicate the more typical Visual Kei sound, that is something like old school Visual kei, fast drumming, changes in speed, hypnotic sinister melodies, etc like bands such as Aliene Ma'riage, Lar~Mia, what Dir en grey did in GAUZE, etc and more etc.

And then most of them seem to write cheesy lyrics; there isn't much about writing songs with provoking lyrics.

And there isn't a dramatic element in what they present visually either. No theatrical performances.

I think that Visual Kei bands in other Asian countries tend to be closer to Japanese Visual Kei though.

This is my very personal opinion on what I would expect in a western band that it is supposed to do Visual Kei.

Checked out a few of the ones I'd never heard of (nearly all of them) It's a shame it comes across so awkward lol.

One thing I'm noticing is that the PV acting in most of these totally blows it for them, they are dressed reasonably VK but they still bounce and move around like any western pop punk band. It takes you out of the mood the looks are meant to create, the vocals too are always no different from any other emo pop punk rock band.

This is why as much as I don't like YOHIO, I think he has that over many of these artists. He was able to capture the vocal style (admittedly it comes more naturally when singing the Japanese language) but based on his singing style and PV acting he looks like he has understood more of what he has seen from VK than these bands. Not that it makes his music good, but it's much closer to VK

Well, YOHIO has personally been involved with the jap bands. I mean, he went to Japan, played with lots of VK bands, got jap VK guys to produce his stuff, etc. In this aspect, he is better than the others, but it only happens because he has the money to do it and there are some bands in this preview that still sound more VK-ish than he does, but even though it requires a decent aesthetic production, VK has nothing to do with money. There are many bands that get to do decent stuff with a low budget, but they give their best and look/sound VK-ish and most of the bands in this V.A. ain't even trying.

Sign in to follow this