Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

I stayed away from anime for the longest time, but I've just finished watching the entirety of Mob Psycho 100. Ran through the whole thing in 3 days. It was spectacular. Felt the same as I did back then watching all my favorite anime series as a kid.

Also watching Sangatsu no Lion and really enjoying it too! Next on the list are Fruits Basket and the rest of Evangelion (never finished it and there's still half to go).

20 hours ago, CAT5 said:

As annoyingly over-the-top as some of the supporting characters are, I gotta say - Kimetsu no Yaiba is quite the spectacle so far.

yeah that is legit one of my biggest gripes with the show, Zenitsu is so annoying in a lot of his scenes, but i guess that is the point of his character and makes sense in the long run with his character payoff in this current arc.

19 hours ago, saishuu said:

I stayed away from anime for the longest time, but I've just finished watching the entirety of Mob Psycho 100. Ran through the whole thing in 3 days. It was spectacular. Felt the same as I did back then watching all my favorite anime series as a kid.

Also watching Sangatsu no Lion and really enjoying it too! Next on the list are Fruits Basket and the rest of Evangelion (never finished it and there's still half to go).

Mob psycho 100 is one of the most satisfying adaptions I've ever seen, also one of the most uniquely animated, it is so good. I can't wait for the 3rd and final season. 3 gatsu no lion is likewise amazing as well, I'm confident saying that it is one of my favorite shows ever.

2 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Mob psycho 100 is one of the most satisfying adaptions I've ever seen, also one of the most uniquely animated, it is so good. I can't wait for the 3rd and final season. 3 gatsu no lion is likewise amazing as well, I'm confident saying that it is one of my favorite shows ever.

There's gonna be a third season? NICE. It is indeed so good. Hope they don't take too long with it!

39 minutes ago, saishuu said:

There's gonna be a third season? NICE. It is indeed so good. Hope they don't take too long with it!

yes its the final season that is gonna finish the adaption. lets just hope they don't mess it up... so far so good :)

13 hours ago, Original Saku said:

yeah that is legit one of my biggest gripes with the show, Zenitsu is so annoying in a lot of his scenes, but i guess that is the point of his character and makes sense in the long run with his character payoff in this current arc.

Yeah, Zenitsu and Inosuke can be a bit grating. I'm not sure if the manga is the same, but the comic relief from these two honestly seem a bit forced and grating at times.

But yeah, outside of that, I've really been enjoying this. I thought the show was kinda cool at first, but this whole arc with them going up the mountain has really started to hook me. From a sheer production point -> the animation, the effects, the score, the music direction - everything has been AMAZING. I mean....BRUHHHHH. I got chills during that scene where Tanjiro beheaded Rui. The team behind this is something else, and i'm looking forward to experience what else they have in store.

@heresytrash I saw your blog-post about the anime film A Silent Voice. It was great to read your thoughts on it. I personally wrote an entire paper on this film and felt that there was a lot of things I took from watching, that it had to be put on paper.

I personally consider it on of my top 3 favorite anime films of all time.

2 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

For me it has to be:

1. End of Evangelion

2. Your Name

3. I Want To Eat Your Pancreas

Never heard of the third one lol but I was actually not that impressed by Your Name. Felt Overhyped that it ruined it.

I consider The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a bit more enjoyable.

12 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Never heard of the third one lol but I was actually not that impressed by Your Name. Felt Overhyped that it ruined it.

I consider The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a bit more enjoyable.

The third one I highly recommend. It’s about this introverted guy who meets this girl with pancreatic cancer and they become friends. 

Oh really? Damn, I can see what you mean but kinda wished you enjoyed it. Oh well 🤷🏻‍♀️

Usually the more popular series are overhyped IMO. Not that they’re bad, they just get the enjoyment ruined and I often feel bad for people who want to enjoy them

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

Anime I've really enjoyed lately are NEW GAME!, Hibike Euphonium, Working!!, Denkigai, Gabriel Dropout, Sweetness & Lightning, I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Watamote and Interviews With Monster Girls. I don't watch a lot of anime films, but I liked A Silent Voice and Ponyo was incredibly sweet.

I started Chio's School Road today. I like it so far after 3 eps!

On 9/7/2019 at 7:20 PM, YuyoDrift said:

@heresytrash I saw your blog-post about the anime film A Silent Voice. It was great to read your thoughts on it. I personally wrote an entire paper on this film and felt that there was a lot of things I took from watching, that it had to be put on paper.

I personally consider it on of my top 3 favorite anime films of all time.

Thank you for reading! Honestly that movie had me in tears the whole time. Something that hasn't happened in a while. 

I rate it second only to your name.  

New season has been going on for a couple weeks now. Due to continuing shows from last season and the lack of time, I've only picked up 3 shows to watch.

Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia

Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2

Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious

Still watching...

Fire Force

Vinland Saga

• Plunderer
    • I read this a long time ago and have it stalled. Since it's back in the limelight, I might have to pick up the manga again. The plot with its central "count" system is pretty unique and leads to interesting scenarios. There are other developments that are likely to be adapted here that'll take you for a spin.
  • Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shite Mita.
    • This leans more comedic than anything. It uses the intelligent but boke trope with weird science/techno-babble. 
  • Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T
    • Index 3 a shit, but Railgun seems to pick up the slack every subsequent airing. Canon manga plot covered here is good, so I expect an amazing first half of episodes followed by weird filler... Unless they pull an Index 3 and rush the shit out of it.
  • Heya Camp
    • S2 Yuru Camp. It's fun, what can I say.
  • Koisuru Asteroid
    • Read a few chapters of this. It's cute, lighthearted stuff. 
  • Runway de Waratte
    • This is actually really interesting. Has to do with an unconventional pathway to a modeling career. Drama is actually good and not forced melodrama.
  • Ishuzoku Reviewers
    • LULW ecchi trash dealing w/ prostitution, but if that's your style, then you might like it. Fits are already being thrown by the Western Twitter peanut gallery, but was this series really a surprise to anyone?
  • Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Gaiden

• This keeps being framed as a sequel or continuation to Madoka, but this is definitely more of a spinoff. It's animated well, so I might bite. Largely the same sort of content.

What I find interesting is that Dorohedoro and Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi  (reboot from the 1998 ~ 2000 anime) have source material from 2000 and 1994, respectively. So, I might check those adaptations out. 

I might check out Somali to Mori no Kamisama and Kyokou Suiri. I've read some of the latter like 3~4 years ago, but I've forgotten the plot by now.

Edited by colorful人生

On 11/5/2019 at 3:26 PM, K-x-H said:

Winter Anime Chart 2019 / 2020 is now available from here:

https://www.livechart.me/winter-2020/tv

Well that looks grim...

The only one I have a sliver of excitement for is Dorohedoro because I fucking love the manga, but judging from the trailer for the anime it looks like another 3D CGI mess... 

Still watching:

Dr Stone — really pleased with this one. I had to stop taking the science seriously after they made refined sugar without any machinery. The anime doesn't take itself seriously at all and it's so much fun. Finally a protagonist I actually like, and the 2nd half hit me in the feels. 

Kimetsu no Yaiba — man, this is some good shit. No fillers, cool character design, incredible music, good use of CG. I need to praise the studio for this. They use CG in order to keep the 2D animation as high quality as possible, rather than doing like other studios where they use ugly, blatant CG AND have crap 2D animation (sorry artists, I know it isn't your fault). The CG here is integrated as smoothly as it can be into scenes as not to disturb the viewer's immersion. 👌🏼I have a strong love-hate relationship with Zenitsu. 

Fire Force — I'm probably dropping this. The concept is so cool, but I'm too old to be able to enjoy this dumb ass type of fanservice. The story telling is... And the characters... Well, you can tell it's for a much younger audience. Huuuge props to the team for the beautiful fire animation every single time. 

Recently finished

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc — I can't give much love to this soulless cash grab. It was pointless, ugly, dragged out and the characters were washed out of their personalities for some mysterious reason. Some things should stay in the past. 

Trying to catch up on everything I missed in almost 3 years of no vacations from uni & job and it's proving to be nearly impossible lol. The last anime I had gotten addicted to was ... Netjuu no Susume I guess.

So I am watching Bloom Into You and Free! Dive into the Future for now as they're my must watches. Tried to watch Granblue but I just felt a big "ooookk...". Also tried to watch Shoujo Kageki Revue because Takarazuka but I was pretty "ehh" too. 

Might check out:

Arte

Gal to Kyouryuu

Nami yo Kiitekure

Kakushigoto - I will probably regret this because it's bound to have a disgusting fandom. But apparently it's one of those deep commentaries hidden behind a simple story.

Just giving a shot to anything that is remotely different. Hopefully these titles will drop on crunchyroll since I've decided to subscribe for a bit.

So my GF and I started watching this anime just randomly (as we normally do since we can never find something we both like lol) called Coppellion. So far I've only seen the first episode and it's decent but my GF has abandoned me and is now binging it.

Anybody else seen this show? The ratings aren't that good on MAL but I figured I'd at least give it the old 3-episode rule before I decide.

13 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

So my GF and I started watching this anime just randomly (as we normally do since we can never find something we both like lol) called Coppellion. So far I've only seen the first episode and it's decent but my GF has abandoned me and is now binging it.

Anybody else seen this show? The ratings aren't that good on MAL but I figured I'd at least give it the old 3-episode rule before I decide.

Yes. I managed to watch it 'till the end. Cool premise, amazing background/environment art but it's turns into a trainwreck fast.  I think I ended up rating it as a 3 or 4 outta 10.

Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite Shimatta…

Interesting, more shoujo oriented isekai into an otome game world. I haven't read a bunch of it, but it's pretty decent compared to the swathe of mediocre adaptations.

Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou!

Overpowered OP.  Narrative is weird and the relationships are odd. I'm very blasé w/ these isekai, so I don't have much more to say about them.

Gleipnir

There was this huge scanlation gap (as far as I recall), so I've missed out on the last couple chapters. That being said, the series is pretty fantastic. It's a thrill.

Gal to Kyouryuu

This one is a pretty fun, cute read. The dinosaur is my spirit animal.

Yesterday wo Utatte is an adaptation to look out for. I'll have to pick up the manga for Kakushigoto and Houkago Teibou Nisshi for the comf.

Otherwise, I don't have much else to say about Spring. I'm curious how Covid19 will effect the shows for this upcoming season, as I know there have already been delays w/ episodes this one. 

second season of Re:Zero postponed to July because of coronavirus

pretty disappointed, it's pretty much the only isekai I've enjoyed.