Kobayashi Yusuke (小林祐介) - Vocalist, Guitarist, Songwriter

Birthdate: 18 December 1985

Matsumoto Kengo (ケンゴマツモト) - Guitarist

Birthdate: June 1983

Takamatsu Hirofumi (高松浩史) - Bassist

Birthdate: 19 November 1985

Yoshiki Ryousuke (吉木諒祐) - Drummer

Birthdate: 1 November 1985

THE NOVEMBERS is a Japanese alternative rock band formed in 2005.

After releasing the first EP “THE NOVEMBERS” from UK Project (Label) in 2007,

they have constantly sold out their headlining shows every year to ever-growing audiences.

Nationally, they performed at “FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL”,“ARABAKI ROCKFEST”, “ROCK IN JAPAN FESTIVAL”, , and “COUNTDOWN JAPAN”.

In 2012 they started distributing songs on iTunes Store in 62 countries. International attention brought them to share stages with TELEVISION,NO AGE,BORIS, BO NINGEN,Wild Nothing,Thee Oh Sees,ULTERIOR,SONIC BOOM,Dot Hacker, and appear at “MEGAPORT FESTIVAL” in Taiwan.

Yusuke Kobayashi not only plays solo, but also plays with Japanese pop star CHARA as a support guitarist and produces her music

as well as plays with Acid Android, a solo project of Yukihiro from L’arc-en-Ciel.

Kengo Matsumoto’s broad interests lead him to participate in poetry reading sessions organized by Film Director Shion Sono.

They have garnered reputations in other fields as well. The music video for “Harem” (from 3rd ep “GIFT”) was directed by Macoto Tezuka, known for his film “Hakuchi” and the music video for “dogma”(from 4th ep”Fourth wall”) was directed by Tsuyoshi Shibata, known for his film “Late Bloomer”.

Their promotional photos were shot by Anders Edstrom who also shoots portraits for “Vivienne Westwood” and “Miu Miu”, and Hanayo, whose photo collections have been featured at shows by “agnès b”. The band’s deep association with fashion made it possible to perform a live set at 2012-13A/W collection by “LAD MUSICIAN” and it was live-streamed on Dommune organized by Naohiro Ukawa. So far, they released a total of 8 albums from UK Project. With their own music label “MERZ” to be founded in October 2013, they are ready to achieve their own success in their own way.

ENGLISH interviews

http://www.mtv81.com/artists/the-novembers/

——————-

influenced by

The Cure

The Smiths

David Bowie

Einstürzende Neubauten

Siouxsie And The Banshees

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

The Velvet Underground

Echo & The Bunnymen

Jesus and Mary Chain

Les Rallizes Dénudés

The Durutti Column

L’Arc~en~Ciel

Cocteau Twins

ART-SCHOOL

Joy Division

Steve Reich

Killing Joke

Neil Young

Erik Satie

Stereolab

Man Ray

Bauhaus

The xx

Wilco

NEU!

Wire

dip

Ride

Pixes

Arcade Fire

Depeche Mode

Scott Walker

Silver Apples

Stan Brakhage

Nam June Paik

Toru Takemitsu

Marcel Duchamp

The Flaming Lips

The Birthday Party

etc………………………………….

Discography

Albums

2008年06月04日 picnic

2010年03月10日 Misstopia

2011年08月03日 To (melt into)

2013年11月30日 zeitgeist

2014年10月15日 Rhapsody in beauty

EP

2007年11月07日 THE NOVEMBERS

2009年03月18日 paraphilia

2012年11月07日 GIFT

2013年05月15日 Fourth wall

Singles

2011年08月03日 (Two) into holy

2014年05月14日 今日も生きたね

Videos:

----------

This thread is necessary. Any other fans? ;3

Brilliant band. They're one of the very few artists that I can say that I genuinely think get 'better' with everything that they release. I don't mean that in the sense that I always prefer whatever stylistic or thematic direction they choose take over those in their previous efforts, but that I feel as though they seem to be continually getting better at expressing whatever themes they choose to explore. They've progressed from a band playing decent but rather generic indie rock, to a band that seems to constantly develop fresh new ideas for exploring whatever type of sound(s) they're going for despite the fact that they release new music at a ridiculous rate; and, perhaps more importantly, it always comes across in an organic, natural way, rather than feeling forced for the sake of doing something different. Their output last year was fantastic and I have no reason to expect that they wont deliver on whatever they release next.

They're real sexy when they get real heavy, but their soft stuff is super good too

lovem

Yesss, Sened! I feel like not enough people appreciate their soft/dreamy stuff. That's the side I find myself gravitating more toward. But I also thoroughly enjoy their heavy, distorted stuff.

Favorite song should come as no surprise:

The Novembers are truly a great band. All releases since 2011 have been nothing short of amazing.

side note: Matsumoto > Kobayashi :>

^ I currently cannot choose a favorite out of their last 3 albums. I think each probably get an even amount of play from me.

Brilliant band. They're one of the very few artists that I can say that I genuinely think get 'better' with everything that they release. I don't mean that in the sense that I always prefer whatever stylistic or thematic direction they choose take over those in their previous efforts, but that I feel as though they seem to be continually getting better at expressing whatever themes they choose to explore. They've progressed from a band playing decent but rather generic indie rock, to a band that seems to constantly develop fresh new ideas for exploring whatever type of sound(s) they're going for despite the fact that they release new music at a ridiculous rate; and, perhaps more importantly, it always comes across in an organic, natural way, rather than feeling forced for the sake of doing something different. Their output last year was fantastic and I have no reason to expect that they wont deliver on whatever they release next.

I couldn't agree more. 

Kobayashi seems to have an undergone a metamorphosis over the years, and it all feels really authentic and sincere - as if the evolution of his image was simply the byproduct of some kind of inner revelation he's had. I'd dare say that he's reached (or is approaching) a kind of sacred level in his artistry...It's a bit difficult to explain, but it's something that you can see and feel - like his artistry is radiating from within...as if he's the embodiment of his very creations. This might be coming off as a bit fanboyish on my behalf (even moreso with the pic-spam below), but...I'd like to think that it's a very tangible and objectively observable "it" factor that makes artists like Kobayashi stand out. I'd also like to think that other artists like TK...and even those that I'm not overly fond of like Kyo from DIR EN GREY also possess that same "it" factor. That natural allure. That artistic gravity.

On a side note, a friend of mine had an interesting hypothesis that Sho Asakawa (of plasticzooms) was the catalyst that invoked Kobayashi's evolution. I'm not sure how true that is, but I know the two are good friends, so it's pretty likely that's he's been some sort of influence.

tumblr_m3vvxof18a1qdbm40o1_1280.png

tumblr_m76cwepzSq1qdbm40o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni3i8xEvWu1rkkui8o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_neclfuIhaa1rkkui8o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n48gd4KiKL1rebrnqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n4d3u1v3AW1qetb4qo1_1280.jpg

ShoYusuke-436x436.jpg

tumblr_ncivfuUiUc1r74s6ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0uv6kZNEP1qetb4qo1_1280.jpg

[/sPAM]

For me, this is one of those bands that would really appeal to my in theory or just their idea/concept, but somehow I could barely listen to a whole album all the way through so far (I think I tried the last two?). They do have some killer tunes tho based on some of their PVs. Maybe it's just a matter of time and mood till they click with me cuz otherwise I can't rly think of anything annoying in their music (unlike some other indie-rawk bands).

Also that song @fitear1590 linked sounds mighty fine... which release is that one from?

For me, this is one of those bands that would really appeal to my in theory or just their idea/concept, but somehow I could barely listen to a whole album all the way through so far (I think I tried the last two?). They do have some killer tunes tho based on some of their PVs. Maybe it's just a matter of time and mood till they click with me cuz otherwise I can't rly think of anything annoying in their music (unlike some other indie-rawk bands).

I think there is still hope for you. I had pretty much the same problem with this band before. At first, the only song of theirs I really liked was dnim (from '09 EP Paraphilia). Then I listened to that EP and man, I was quite disappointed! It was around the same time that 2013's zeitgeist album was released and I tried that too and thought "boooring!" but I kept thinking that I really wanna like this band. And I have a history of at first disliking bands that later have become my favs, lmao. So I just kept trying (well I didn't try THAT MANY times but a few anyways) and at some point it just clicked. And now I like most of their stuff including their soft, dreamy songs. =)

At first, the only song of theirs I really liked was dnim (from '09 EP Paraphilia).

ahaha, my experience was similar!

"こわれる' from "picnic" (2008) was the first song of their's that resonated with me (although that song sounds exceedingly generic now compared to their recent material), and when "paraphilia" was released (2009), "dnim" was also the only song I enjoyed. So I pretty much wrote the band off after those releases, completely skipping "Misstopia" and " To (melt into)" upon their releases...I don't think I tried their music again until sometime in 2012. Though I wasn't completely sold until "Fourth wall" and "zeitgeist" in 2013. I still don't care for "Misstopia", but after returning to "To (melt into)", I found that brilliant too. So for me, that release marks the beginning of my interest in this band.

Also that song @fitear1590 linked sounds mighty fine... which release is that one from?

2012年11月07日 GIFT

The same as Jigsaw, really. They have some really solid tracks that I like to listen to here and there, but I haven't been able to sit through a full album of theirs yet. Oddly, the only time I managed to get through Rhapsody in Beauty was when I played it backwards (so from 10 to 1), which somehow made everything sound better together (at least for me). I guess I'm just waiting for a click that'll settle in at some point because their whole atmosphere/concept is great.

I really love gift, forth wall, and zeitgeist. I don't know why rhapsody in beauty hasn't clicked for me yet. But I do plan on revisiting it a few more times to see if that will change. Like indigo, there are some albums that take a few listens (or even a few years) to finally connect. 

Also, I always felt like Sho has a very muse-like quality. He's kind of contagious if you dig his vibe. And I can see him and Kobayashi having a kind of artist/muse symbiotic friendship

Very interesting that a lot of people have this reaction about Rhapsody in beauty not clicking for them!

I actually kind of feel that way about zeitgeist! I LOVE a lot of the individual songs ("Flower of life", "Meursault," "zeitgeist", etc.) but don't find the album particularly memorable overall, whereas Rhapsody of beauty was pretty much love at first listen for me, /shrug.

PS: Kobayashi has become one of my absolute favorite male vocalists. Of course, I tend to prefer higher pitched male vox anyway, but his voice is so versatile.

^ I currently cannot choose a favorite out of their last 3 albums. I think each probably get an even amount of play from me.

I couldn't agree more. 

Kobayashi seems to have an undergone a metamorphosis over the years, and it all feels really authentic and sincere - as if the evolution of his image was simply the byproduct of some kind of inner revelation he's had. I'd dare say that he's reached (or is approaching) a kind of sacred level in his artistry...It's a bit difficult to explain, but it's something that you can see and feel - like his artistry is radiating from within...as if he's the embodiment of his very creations. This might be coming off as a bit fanboyish on my behalf (even moreso with the pic-spam below), but...I'd like to think that it's a very tangible and objectively observable "it" factor that makes artists like Kobayashi stand out. I'd also like to think that other artists like TK...and even those that I'm not overly fond of like Kyo from DIR EN GREY also possess that same "it" factor. That natural allure. That artistic gravity.

On a side note, a friend of mine had an interesting hypothesis that Sho Asakawa (of plasticzooms) was the catalyst that invoked Kobayashi's evolution. I'm not sure how true that is, but I know the two are good friends, so it's pretty likely that's he's been some sort of influence.

[/sPAM]

This post of yours is so precious. This beloved spam of Sho and Koba is greatly appreciated... yes... very... *saves each pic* ><

Ahem. My first good listen of them was 'Rhapsody in beauty.' I have since downloaded the rest of their albums to listen to in one sitting some time, and I now remember I have given 'zeitgeist' a listen before at one point. I need to give a proper good listen to this again for a good enough response but, I am very much a fan of their 'Rhapsody in beauty' album. Like Ling, I'm going to have to get back to this topic once I've given these guys more of a listen. They are definitely one of the finest shoegaze bands I've ever heard though.

This Rhapsody is beauty album is quite nice (just gave it a first try today). Almost skipped that terribly dull going-nowhere "intro" track but other than that most of the stuff was pretty cool. Especially the noisyyyy rawk tracks and the closing quiet number.

I have mighty feels for this band on a very serious and possibly unhealthy level.

I thought this was indie crap for quite sometime, and then last year I checked out their mv for Meursault. Instantaneously I was intrigure and then Rhapsody in Beauty came out and I fell in love. If this band sung in English they would be Billboard toppers in the US because their songs are so cool.

At least the last two albums have been. I was curious what older albums people enjoy?

I thought this was indie crap for quite sometime, and then last year I checked out their mv for Meursault. Instantaneously I was intrigure and then Rhapsody in Beauty came out and I fell in love. If this band sung in English they would be Billboard toppers in the US because their songs are so cool.

At least the last two albums have been. I was curious what older albums people enjoy?

I would basically recommend trying everything starting from the "To (melt into)" album and the "(Two) into holy" single. I'd say that's the point at which their music became noticeably more interesting. Prior to that, you could arguably say that their music was your typical indie stuff.

Going to breathe some life back into this thread. I'd like to do the same for the Ling thread too but I'm already the last person to post there so eh.

I would basically recommend trying everything starting from the "To (melt into)" album and the "(Two) into holy" single. I'd say that's the point at which their music became noticeably more interesting. Prior to that, you could arguably say that their music was your typical indie stuff.

Yeah, pretty much this. Though I do feel that Misstopia could be seen as a sort of 'transitional' album for them in that respect. I think tracks like Gilmore guilt more and dysphoria started showing signs of the band becoming a bit more than your average indie outfit. Even though the album as a whole wasn't as consistently good as what came after, I also think that it's noticeably better than what came before it.

Anyway, time for an album face-off: Rhapsody in beauty or zeitgeist? Personally it's a really hard choice for me. I think the former is slightly more consistent in terms of song quality, but zeitgeist has some of my favourite individual tracks in their discography (the title track, 鉄の夢). I guess I'd say that Rhapsody slightly edges it for me overall.

Definitely a tough choice. I'm gonna need to relisten to both a bit more, because off hand they're a tie, ahaha.

I've been thinking about it countless, sleepless nights and I still can't say which one is better.

On a side note, the first half of To (melt into) is amazing. 彼岸で散る青 might be my favorite Novs song.

^ I agree about the first half of To (melt into) being really strong, although I think the rest of the album is good too.

As for zeitgeist vs Rhapsody in beauty - I'm just gonna say that the former is a great album, and the latter is a great experience.

Hmm, I think I prefer Rhapsody in beauty.  I agree that it's a great experience and is also rather easy to listen through, especially in the later half.  The first three tracks are kinda blah for me but, I love each individual track that follows afterwards.  Definitely a great listen.

zeitgeist is a strong album too, but I think there were only at least 3-4 tracks from that album that I really really liked.  Louder Than War (2019) would be my favorite from that album.

Also, To (melt into) would be my number one favorite album of theirs.  I can always go back and listen to it and every single track from that album is truly wonderful~