Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

just finished my rewatching of LOST and wow, didn't expect this to be so damn good. again. i mean i always considered LOST to be my favorite show of all times but that's exactly the reason why i was so afraid to rewatch it. i've been afraid that my taste had changed after so many years and i didn't want to ruin my impressions that i've had about it. when i first seen LOST on tv i was still in my middle school and with every episode i liked it more and more. even when i thought it's impossible to make this series better, the creators turned my world upside down and did that! so obviously i was trying to keep that impressions of mine and didn't dare to rewatch it because somehow i was sure that if i'll ever watch it again i wont like it. since my first watch i also watched like hundred of other series, then about 1k animes and about half thousand of movies. my taste have indeed changed, i started to pay more attention to actors play, characters/plot development, music and even camera operators work. so rewatching LOST was quite a risky move, yeah. but fortunately, my fears all vanished after i started to rewatch it. i'm not saying this show has no flaws, no. there's actually many of them but it doesn't matter to me at all. what matter is that creators managed to create unique mini-universe for which geeks like me will always be grateful. long live LOST!

ugh what a fucking wall of text but w/e. it was hard to restrain myself.

tl;dr: LOST is SO. FUCKING. EPIC. 

He was? Not properly though, or? He thought they weren't allowed to let him smoke?

They worked it out by the last few episodes like... slowly worked it up. Then started teasing the Dangerous Habits story line. 

I see. Shame they didn't start with it, though. Really. Some other company should've bought the rights to Constantine. HBO, Netflix, Starz or something. SOmeone who can do whatever they like and don't have any rules at all.

Still watching Orphan Black, but my interest is slowly fading. It feels like they're just grasping at straws at the moment, with no idea where they're going. Will watch this season out, but they gotta change something soon or I won't watch the next season. Such a waste.

Finished Agent Carter today. Thought it was really good and lots of fun. Hayley Atwell is really impressive. Does a great job. Very much looking forward to season 2. 8/10

I see. Shame they didn't start with it, though. Really. Some other company should've bought the rights to Constantine. HBO, Netflix, Starz or something. SOmeone who can do whatever they like and don't have any rules at all.

I couldn't agree more. x__x

I'd love to see a Netflix series like they did for Daredevil. It would be perfect.

I started watching a new series on NBC called A.D. The Bible Continues. Honestly, when it comes to tv/movie adaptations of the bible, most of it tends to be terrible due to cheap production budget, terrible actors, hollywood-ification, and worst of all... sanctification. But this show is surprisingly decent! The show start off during the crucifixion of Jesus but the main plot really begins when his disciples begins to spread his teachings of the gospel after his resurrection while facing tons of persecution by the Jews and Romans. It's a new territory that's been barely touched upon because any movies/tv shows covering the New Testament until now have always been about Jesus and not anything after. Considering the props and the stage sets, the production values are high. It's not Game of Thrones level of production, but when Hans Zimmer is involved with the music, it's decently high to me. What I really appreciate is they did not make this show family friendly because bible stories are pretty violent, so big props to them for trying to keep it real. As I'm writing this, the current episode is 6. I have no idea if this is planned for multiple seasons but we'll see.

Sample clip of what the show is like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJvwdogr64Y

That Agents of Shield season finale, tho. ohmygackt They are really stepping up these fight scenes.

And my poor science ship can they please just not torture them for once, just one season. ;; Like dammit, can Fitz-Simmons just have one real moment. Just one?

Does anyone watch Gotham? I just caught up and whoa Barbara. O_O I actually really love this show though I feel like they are concentrating on too many characters at once. I hope they take it just a little slower next season.

And in a break from my action/comic series I watched the Amazon original Transparent. I've got so many mixed feelings on it. I don't normally watch dramas but it feels like they are making everyone a screw up up to eleven when it could be a little more subtle and less frantic feeling all the time. I know it's not supposed to be a comfortable watch, but it's really off-putting having people just screaming about the same problem over and over again.

@Gaz

I am planning on watching Lost, since I watch Fringe (which is by J.J. Abrams as well). I never found the whole “stranded on Island” thing to be much of interest, but then again it is supposed to be a mystery show. Is it in any way comparable to Fringe or X-Files?

Also started watching Orphan Black this weel. Am still in season 1, but so far I like it very much. But bad to hear the third season seems not to deliver. I feel they premise of the show could potentially lead to it becoming a bit too soap-y.

Also has anyone watched the new Penny Dreadful episodes? I am really impressed, I must say. I think I will like this season better than the first. Season 1 had a good start, but I didn’t like the end so much. Season 2 is starting much stronger and it seems the writers are now finally working up to tie some threads together. I still hope Dorian Gray will get to do more than just fucking everyone, lol

I'm watching Penny Dreadful. Haven't seen episode 2 yet but it does feel like many things season 1 spent time eluding to is finally going to come about. The entire Doctor Frankenstein plot has me excited, especially.

Does anyone watch Gotham? I just caught up and whoa Barbara. O_O I actually really love this show though I feel like they are concentrating on too many characters at once. I hope they take it just a little slower next season.

I dropped Gotham ever since Barbara went back to being a lesbo. The writing became too stupid for my taste and they keep shoehorning in batman characters for the sake of cameos and connecting everything. Kid Bruce has nothing to do with most of the episodes, so why bother showing him in every single one? This is Gordan's show, not his. Either way, this show has too many problems.

There are a ton of problems... no getting around that. I hope they don't feel the same pressure next season and start spreading out everyone's stories instead of packing everyone in each episode like sardines. Barbara was one of my least favorite characters too. They finished her arc equally stupid but it feels like we'll be getting a break from her for a while. And Fish. I also agree they don't need to focus on Bruce so much. I'd rather see more of GPD oriented storylines.

ovUx6Nj.gif

David Lynch: Dear Twitter Friends, the rumors are not what they seem ..... It is !!! Happening again. #TwinPeaks returns on @SHO_Network

"This damn fine cup of coffee from Mark and David tastes more delicious than ever," Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement Friday confirming the news. "Totally worth the extra brewing time and the cup is even bigger than we expected. David will direct the whole thing which will total more than the originally announced nine hours. Preproduction starts now!!”

:wub:

Source: the internet

Recently started watching Better Call Saul, and I gotta say I'm really digging it so far. I was wondering how it'd turn out, but I think I'm quite satisfied with the final product so far (only 4 episodes in tho, but still..) Loving the small nods and references to BrBa here and there, but I definitely feel that the show's strong enough to stand on its own as well..

Ok, since I've only discovered now this thread, I will write what I've watched, I'm watching and I am going to watch/recuperate... (accepting suggestions!)

-Star Trek (all the series, including movies) <3

-Lost <3

-Stargate (SG1 <3, Atlantis 'til season 4, then meh..., Universe really meh...)

-Smallvile ('til season 5, then meh...)

-Buffy The Vampire Slayer <3

-Charmed <3

-Farscape <3

-Criminal Minds (Gideon era <3)

-NCIS (but I've stopped it since it was going too much long...)

-Desperate Housewives (I stopped to season 6 but I'll end it...)

-Once Upon a Time (stopped at the beginning of season 4 for lack of fantasy...)

-Game of Thrones <3

-The Walking Dead <3

-Defiance <3

-Extant

-Under the Dome

-Falling Skies (I have to watch season 3 and 4)

-The Blacklist <3 (I am starting to watch season 2)

-CSI (Las Vegas Grissom era <3 and Miami <3)

-Homeland (No Brody, No Party!!)

and many others

I'm planning to watch Empire, Madame Secretary, Nikita, Breaking Bad, How to Get Away with Murder and from the newcomers Blindspot, The Catch, Colony, The Expanse, Dark Matter, Mr.Robot, Queen of South, Sense8 and others.

Finished Derek, season 1 last night, and I must admit I am beyond impressed. A warm, sad and heartwarming, yet at time hilarious, drama-comedy by and with Ricky Gervais, and on his team he' got Karl Pilkington, David Earl and Kerry Godliman. Derek is an autist (or, that's how I see it at least), so he's got his to deal with, but through him Ricky Gervais is capable of showing different human qualities, challenges and problems a lot of us will recognize from our own lives.

Derek is one of very few workers on a small home for the elderly in Britain, and the show deals with him and his life, as well as dealign with elderly people's last stop in life, and how people deal with it. Being an autist, Derek is socially awkward, something which creates some problems and challenges for the people around him, as well as giving us some laughter, but it's important to know that I laugh WITH the lovely character that is Derek, not of him. He's a good person through and though and he wish nothing but the best upon everyone else. He's the kind of character that'll make your eyes wet and make you go "aaaaaaaw!", and I am not joking.

Karl Pilkington and David Earl stands behind most of the laughs here. You'll see a lot of Karl Pilkington in Karl Pilkington's character, and while he might seem like a dick now and then, at the bottom of his heart he's another lovely bloke with much good in him. Same goes for David Earl's character, who's the dumbest of the lot.

But in the end, this series is all about love fo a system and the people that system takes care of. I'm in love!

Highlight: Duran Duran!

So simple, yet proper fucking genius!

Recently discovered Orphan Black and am addicted. Series 1 was a thrilling watch while half way into series 2 I am starting to lose interest for some reason. I'm still excited to see what'll happen in series 3 even though I've spoiled a few parts for myself.

Latest OITNB season is coming over to the UK in about a week or so. That'll be an interested watch even though I've enjoyed OB more and am now iffy about it. Will try to look into more series randomly to see if any grab me as much as OB could.

Recently discovered Orphan Black and am addicted. Series 1 was a thrilling watch while half way into series 2 I am starting to lose interest for some reason. I'm still excited to see what'll happen in series 3 even though I've spoiled a few parts for myself.

Season 3's been a pain in the ass so far. Not very good at all. Other than Alison's story there's been nothing to cheer about so far. They have no idea what they are doing. It's so obvious they don't have a prober plan for the series development.

I didn't like him in The Walking Dead at all, but I blame the script and his character for that and I am ready to give him a new chance. I love the character The Punisher, though. Easily Top 3 mst badass characters in the superhero world. This fanmade The Punisher video is highly recommended. Showcases his badassness in a perfect way.

I also think The Punisher (1989) is god damn brilliant. Fucking Dolph, man! Well, and I like both the 2004 and 2008 films. Not because they are very good, but because they have a sense of badassness over them that I really enjoy.

Half way into season 1 of The Americans. So far so good. A great period drama with espionage-based story-telling that's kept me interested so long. I also gotta give them props for the violence. While there haven't been much violence, the little that has been has been very, very good. It's well-choreographed and looks powerful, just the way it's supossed to. I get plenty of Jason Bourne-feeling from all the fighting.

I'm really happy that series creatrs finally are taking fight scenes seriously. This, Daredevil, hopefully Banshee which has been praised for its action scenes, seem to put a lot of time and effort into the action scenes whih happens t be mostly hand-to-hand combat which I am a huge fan of, so this pleases me a lot.

Finished The Americans season 1. Thought it was really good. It had a short drop in quality around episode 5-7, but got better after that. A very good season, even though the action scenes got worse throughout the season, to my big disappointment. But as a espionage and drama series it's really good.

Orphan Black season 3 has got a lot better over the last two episode as well. Much better. About time!

True Detective season 2 has started. The first season is up there with the very, very best of TV-series, so my expectations are awfully high. But the first episode really delivered. Great, great start!

And unlike "everyone else" I loved the intro and theme song as well. Not quite on par with season 1, but still great.